PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions/Advice for Sorcadin Build

Therealdill134
2019-07-12, 12:52 AM
Short disclaimer: I've never actually played this build but after tons of hours of searching around and tweaking the build this is my final draft (although it can be changed with suggestions). This build is meant to be an all arounder with great survivability, basically if I was forced to play once character for the rest of my DnD career.

Race: Half Elf
Features and Traits: Dark Vision, Fey Ancestry

Starting Attributes:
Strength: 15+1
Dexterity: 10
Constitution: 15+1
Intelligence: 8
Wisdom: 8
Charisma: 14+2

Starting at 16 with all my main stats puts me at a good starting point. Having such high main stats comes at the cost of low intelligence and wisdom but I find intelligence to be a decently unimportant stat and my proficiency with wisdom saves along with aura of protection make my wisdom saves plenty good.

Leveling: 6 Paladin -> 14 Sorcerer

Feats/ASI: 4 War Caster -> 10 CHA+2 -> 14 CHA+2 -> 18 STR+2

I go for warcaster first so there are no issues with using sword and board and casting, plus the concentration boost and spell opportunity attacks are a great boons. Then maxing out Charisma is the priority for better spell save DCs and better saving throws. Finally I raise my strength as high as possible to get the extra damage and accuracy with my sword.

Skills: Athletics, Arcana, Deception, Insight, Perception, Persuasion

These are the skills I find the most universally useful

Health: 170
Hit Dice: d10*6 + d6*14
Base Speed: 30ft
Armor Class: 21 (Plate armor 18) + (Shield mod 2) + (defense fighting style 1)

Saving Throws:
Strength: +9
Dexterity: +5
Constitution: +8
Intelligence: +4
Wisdom: +10
Charisma: +16

Weapons: Longsword, Shield, holy symbol on shield, arcane focus ring

Weapon attack bonus: +10
Weapon damage: 1d8+4
Spell attack bonus: + 11
Spell Save DC: 19+

Paladin Lvl 6:*
Divine Sense
Lay on Hands (30 hp)
Fighting Style Defense lvl 2
Divine Smite lvl 2
Divine Health lvl 3
Extra Attack lvl 5
Aura of Protection lvl 6

I go for the Defense Fighting Style over Dueling because the 5% chance to not get hit scales much better than the 4 damage you'd get from two attacks with Dueling

Oath of Conquest
Channel Divinity: Conquering Presence, Guiding Strike

I go Oath of Conquest mainly for the oath spells. I don't go past 6th level for paladin so it's only 1st and 2nd level spells and Channel Divinity. Armor of Agathys can be fun when upcast and we have some high level slots without the high level spells to use them on. Command is an interesting spell with grovel meaning free advantage (on a failed save that is). Spiritual weapon gives me 3 attacks at level 5 while I wait for sorcerer levels for quickened spell. And finally hold person is a nice spell to always have prepared, fighting humanoids might not come up too often but when it does a measly level 2 slot for paralysis and an insane auto crit smite nova is too good to pass up. I give my second place to Oath of Vengeance with similar but slightly worse spells and similar but slightly better Channel Divinity and a much more appealing theme, even if it's both cliche and edgy.

Paladin Spells: Armor of Agathys 1, Command 1, Spiritual Weapon 2, Hold Person 2, Bless 1, Aid 2, Ceremony 1, Compelled Duel 1, Cure Wounds 1, Heroism 1, Wrathful/Searing Smite 1, Lesser Restoration 2, Find Steed 2, Locate Object 2

I won't mention all the Paladin spells because I don't find them to be too exciting. That being said Bless is a great low level buff and is always appreciated by teammates. Wrathful smite is in my opinion the best of the low level smites with its odd fear that isn't a save but an ability check the second round, and when you're frightened you have disadvantage on ability checks so the condition really sticks, also it fits really well with a Conquest Paladin even I'm not going to level 7 for fear aura. And then Searing smite is just because it synergizes with Elemental Affinity. Find Steed is a really cool spell that is worthy of making its own build around.

Sorcerer Lvl 14:
Metamagic: Quickened spell->Twinned spell->Heightened Spell lvl 10

Quickened is seemingly action economy breaking although it does use a decent amount of resources. Twinned is useful to get your pseudo extra attack for the blade cantrips and can also be silly with strong concentration buffs, debuffs, and zone control. And then I'm not sure whether I should go for Heightened for harder saves on those important targets or Careful to throw an AOE out without having to worry about teammates as much.

Draconic Bloodline
Draconic Ancestor Gold*
Draconic Resilience*
Elemental Affinity lvl 6
Dragon Wings lvl 14

I go Draconic Origin mainly for the extra health to counteract the small d6 Sorcerer hit die. Draconic Resistance to fire damage can be decently useful. Elemental Affinity can add a little oomf to a few good spells. And finally Dragon Wings, why be bound to a 2d plane when you can ascend to a higher level. Overall I feel that Draconic Origin gives you the most bang for your buck but if I had to choose a second place I'd give it to Divine Soul. You get to have fun with the Cleric spell list and you also get to get that natural fly speed that I love so much.

Sorcerer spells are put in order that they will be obtained

Sorcerer Cantrips: Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade, Fire Bolt, Minor*Illusion, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation

Booming Blade is the go to Opportunity Attack. Green Flame Blade is a nice pseudo extra attack and benefits from our dragon ancestry. Firebolt is my I'm not close enough for melee and I don't feel like using a spell slot attack, plus bonus damage from dragon ancestry. Minor Illusion has so many uses and has been talked about a million times before. Mage Hand is basically a form of telekinesis with many littles uses. Prestidigitation is for all the little roleplay magic effects that are just fun to have like magically cleaning something or warming something up, not powerful but it's nice flavor.

Sorcerer Spells (Max 13): Absorb Elements 1, Shield 1, Mirror Image 2, Suggestion* 2, Web* 2, Fly* 3, Haste 3, Counterspell 3, Hypnotic Pattern 3, Fireball 3, Polymorph 4, Greater Invisibility 4, Banishment 4, Hold Monster 5, Mass Suggestion 6, Reverse Gravity 7

*=spells that will be replaced at higher levels

For Absorb Elements and Shield I just really eat up spells that use reactions as I'm always looking to maximize my action economy and adding even more onto my defense makes me super hard to kill. Mirror Image is a nice spell since it doesn't require concentration and is good even at high levels as long as the enemy doesn't have blind sight or truesight which isn't too uncommon later on. Suggestion is pretty good but eventually gets blown out of the water by mass suggestion. Web seems pretty good but I feel like lots of high level monsters have some crazy high strength so I've decided to get rid of it as I get into higher levels. Fly is a cool spell but I found that I didn't use it too much when playing other characters and besides at max level I'll be able to fly without having to worry about losing concentration and falling. Haste is just an awesome buff even if it sucks when the spell ends. Counterspell is just an awesome spell to keep casters somewhat in check. Hypnotic pattern is just a great spell no matter what level you're at. Fireball is amazing when you get it at level 5 but then again we don't get it till much later, it still seems like a decent add clearing tool at higher levels plus we gotta get some benefit from our dragon ancestry. Polymorph is another spell that starts out insane and then gets less powerful as time goes on but even at high levels being a giant ape is better than being an unconscious person out of the fight so its a strong "heal", plus turning an enemy into a turtle and then flying them up into the stratosphere to drop them will always be a hilarious tactic. And that doesn't even mention the combo with disintegrate which you'll need a teammate with that spell but it is an instant kill which is just crazy. Greater invisibility is just awesome, especially when twinned giving attack and defense boosts to two party members. Banishment has saved my party from a TPK by getting rid of a big threat and giving us time to deal with adds and heal, great spell. Hold monster is a universal form of hold person (see above) so it's a must have. Mass Suggestion is very morally questionable but hey it's crazy strong and potentially game breaking so might as well put it on the list. And finally there's Reverse Gravity which has some strong crowd control and good damage.

Final notes:
I would like to go Hexblade 1 to get stronger melee attacks with more accuracy and then grab a feat for my final ASI but at the same time I really like the idea of my character getting wings and a flight speed even if it's at max level. Also it's a bit harder to explain how that would work roleplay wise with paladin. I was thinking Bahamut would be my god by the way. If you've made it this far I'd just like to say thank you so much for reading (I know the writing might be a little rough at points and I will say that this is my first post) and feel free to leave any comments and suggestions!!!

Foxydono
2019-07-12, 01:40 AM
Final notes:
I would like to go Hexblade 1 to get stronger melee attacks with more accuracy and then grab a feat for my final ASI but at the same time I really like the idea of my character getting wings and a flight speed even if it's at max level. Also it's a bit harder to explain how that would work roleplay wise with paladin. I was thinking Bahamut would be my god by the way. If you've made it this far I'd just like to say thank you so much for reading (I know the writing might be a little rough at points and I will say that this is my first post) and feel free to leave any comments and suggestions!!!
It seems like a very good build, with lots of potential. I don't have much to add, except that there are plenty of magic items that boost strength, so my advice would be try to get a girdle of giant strength. I like Bahamut, he has a lot of swag :)

SheVa
2019-07-12, 06:49 AM
It seems like a very solid build. My only concern would be that you might feel a bit underpowered in the middle levels - missing out on all the goodies of Paladin just when they would have the most impact, and switching over into a full caster that needs to be built up until you get the actually good spells... this might get very, very rough. I think this might be the kind of build that looks very solid at level 20, but will be a pain to actually play and level in-game.

Mitsu
2019-07-12, 06:59 AM
This is Point Buy, right?

Ok, so first of all, Half-Elf is great race but imo overrated for Sorcadin (not for Paladin), due to how few ASI 6/14 Sorcadin has (level 4, level 10, level 14, level 18 without Hexblade dip).

Therefore, unless of course you prefer HE for roleplay reason, I would suggest taking Variant Human, as they are best race for 6/14 Sorcadins if you don't start with high rolled stats.

Start with 16 STR and 16 CHA, 14 CON, WIS 10.

At level 1 ask your DM to take WarCaster feat. Most DMs allow them to be taken by Paladins at level 1. If not - consider PAM for extra attack if you want to use Shield + Spear/Staff, GWM if you want to use 2-handed weapons, Shield Master if your DM uses classic feat RAW rulling (you can bonus action bash and then attack. If he follows Sage Advice RAI- don't bother).

Or Start with 16 STR, 16 CHA and 15 CON, but 8 WIS and take at level 1 RES (CON) to boost CON to 16 and have proficiency in CON saves. It's not as good for Sorcadin as WarCaster but the main reason for both feats is to secure your concentration checks to not waste slots and later not get wasted when you break Haste concentration. Concentration is super important for Paladins and Sorcadins, or any gishes.

But generally that concentration boost for Sorcadins is much better than Elven Accuracy or other half-elf/elf trait for Sorcadins.

On level 4 +2 CHA, on level 10 +2 CHA. Level 10 you have RES (CON) or War Caster and 20 CHA.

Your main goal should be to either rush Paladin 6/5 Sorcerer (Divine Soul is strongest, especially when combined with Vengeace paladin) to get 3rd level spells + 2 metamagic options and then dip 1 level Hexblade for SAD CHA (6/5/1 build) or go Paladin 6/14 Sorc straight without dip, since you can also find in game very popular STR boosting items (Ogre Gloves, Giants belts etc.).

Of course if you want to play half-elf for RP reasons- go for it. But in Point-Buy especially for odd level multiclasses (losing ASI levels) Variant Humans are generally best.

But overall your build looks good.

Bobthewizard
2019-07-12, 08:02 AM
It seems like a very solid build. My only concern would be that you might feel a bit underpowered in the middle levels - missing out on all the goodies of Paladin just when they would have the most impact, and switching over into a full caster that needs to be built up until you get the actually good spells... this might get very, very rough. I think this might be the kind of build that looks very solid at level 20, but will be a pain to actually play and level in-game.

Normally I agree with you that mulitclassing into a spell caster is a terrible idea, even if it looks good at level 20. In this case, though, switching to sorcerer gives more spell slots for smiting, so giving up the paladin goodies isn't as painful. You add sorcerer to paladin mostly for the increased smites, the extra spells and metamagic are just gravy. I would prefer to play a Paladin 2/Sorcerer X using quickened Booming Blade, but this build is great too.

SheVa
2019-07-12, 08:22 AM
Normally I agree with you that mulitclassing into a spell caster is a terrible idea, even if it looks good at level 20. In this case, though, switching to sorcerer gives more spell slots for smiting, so giving up the paladin goodies isn't as painful. You add sorcerer to paladin mostly for the increased smites, the extra spells and metamagic are just gravy. I would prefer to play a Paladin 2/Sorcerer X using quickened Booming Blade, but this build is great too.

This is kind of my opinion as well, just that I think it isn't worth it going so deep into Paladin if one intends to jump horse so late.

I agree, it's likely functional enough, and getting Aura of Protection is a big deal for this build. I would still prefer either straight Paladin or an earlier split (like 2/18, as you suggested). A lot about the 6/14 split doesn't strike me as ideal or optimized (Extra Attack and Booming Blade, "fixing" the uneven stat distribution with the high level investment for Aura of Protection - for example).

It depends a lot on how you value certain aspects, and cases can be made for either - I'm just saying that I would rate it as sub-optimal.

paladinn
2019-07-12, 12:10 PM
This is kind of my opinion as well, just that I think it isn't worth it going so deep into Paladin if one intends to jump horse so late.

I agree, it's likely functional enough, and getting Aura of Protection is a big deal for this build. I would still prefer either straight Paladin or an earlier split (like 2/18, as you suggested). A lot about the 6/14 split doesn't strike me as ideal or optimized (Extra Attack and Booming Blade, "fixing" the uneven stat distribution with the high level investment for Aura of Protection - for example).

It depends a lot on how you value certain aspects, and cases can be made for either - I'm just saying that I would rate it as sub-optimal.

If someone is going to MC with Hexblade, I typically recommend it earlier than later. One level of paladin, one of HB, another of paladin and another of HB. That way you get 10 HP and heavy armor immediately and become CHA-SAD right after. Pal 2 gets you smites and HB 2 gets you agonizing blast. After that, taking HB3 depends on if you want to use a great weapon. I'd go to Pal 6 (or 7 if Ancients), then go Sorcerer (I like Divine Soul for healing and fireball, and you still get wings)

Therealdill134
2019-07-12, 12:51 PM
I'd go to Pal 6 (or 7 if Ancients), then go Sorcerer (I like Divine Soul for healing and fireball, and you still get wings)

For Divine Soul what spells would you recommend taking from the cleric list and what sorcerer spells should I replace?

RulesJD
2019-07-12, 01:01 PM
For Divine Soul what spells would you recommend taking from the cleric list and what sorcerer spells should I replace?

Guidance.

Healing Word.

Spirit Guardians.

Fin.

You can take others if you want, but that's all you really need. Guidance because it works on every check including initiative. Healing Word because it's a bonus action heal to popup allies. Spirit Guardians because it's the best Anti-Horde which Sorcadins are typically pretty weak against.

However, you missed the most important spell to take, Shadow Blade. Personally I'd drop whatever it takes, but Web and Suggestion are both pretty weak spells. Shadow Blade is disgustingly good in 95% of campaigns. Advantage a healthy amount of the time, damage scales stupidly well with two attacks, thrown range, one of the least resisted damage types, hits harder than GWM at higher levels with no penalty, etc etc.

paladinn
2019-07-12, 01:21 PM

At a minimum, take Bless (you may have it by default) and Healing Word for in-combat healing.

Therealdill134
2019-07-12, 03:56 PM
So im thinking about swapping dragon sorcerer for divine soul, for cleric spells I'd swap guidance for green flame blade and spirit guardians for greater invisibility. I don't have much space for spell options so I'm thinking I'll just have to quicken a cure wounds instead of grabbing healing word.
I'd lose out on 14 hp, 5 damage on fire spells which wouldn't come up too much as I only had 1 fire spell and 2 fire cantrips, draconic language and better charisma checks with dragons, better unarmored ac but that's pretty inconsequential, and finally the fire resist with spending a sorcery point.
I'd gain cleric spells, 2d4 on saves and misses once per long rest, and healing rerolls for me or a close ally for a sorcery point.
The biggest changes I see are trading 14 hp for gaining access to guidance and spirit guardians. Does this seem like a fair trade to make?

paladinn
2019-07-12, 06:08 PM
So im thinking about swapping dragon sorcerer for divine soul, for cleric spells I'd swap guidance for green flame blade and spirit guardians for greater invisibility. I don't have much space for spell options so I'm thinking I'll just have to quicken a cure wounds instead of grabbing healing word.
I'd lose out on 14 hp, 5 damage on fire spells which wouldn't come up too much as I only had 1 fire spell and 2 fire cantrips, draconic language and better charisma checks with dragons, better unarmored ac but that's pretty inconsequential, and finally the fire resist with spending a sorcery point.
I'd gain cleric spells, 2d4 on saves and misses once per long rest, and healing rerolls for me or a close ally for a sorcery point.
The biggest changes I see are trading 14 hp for gaining access to guidance and spirit guardians. Does this seem like a fair trade to make?

It'll be worth it to your party. Buffs and healing will make you popular.

If at some point you can find a reason to grab eldritch blast, you should do it. Even without invocations it's pretty good.

Fryy
2019-07-12, 06:12 PM

Remember to swap out your level 1 bonus spell later on for a higher level Cleric spell. You can get both Bless and Cure Wounds from your Paladin spell selections.

Good Cleric spells...
Guidance... get it in addition to GFB or Booming, not instead. Its very useful.
Healing Word... doesnt need to be quickened and can be twinned... but skip if you still prefer Cure Wounds.
Spirit Guardians... in addition, not instead of Gtr Invis. Both are concentration, but they work best in different scenarios.
Death Ward... 8 hours, no concentration... cast it at the start of each day.
Holy Weapon... concentration... but 1 hour duration which makes it very good.
Heal... extra healing pool for you in combat, and can be quickened or twinned. The combo of Death Ward and Heal totally beat the hp bonus of Draconic sorcerer. Aid (which you can get from Paladin) can be cast in combat, too.

Therealdill134
2019-07-12, 08:11 PM
Remember to swap out your level 1 bonus spell later on for a higher level Cleric spell. You can get both Bless and Cure Wounds from your Paladin spell selections.

Good Cleric spells...
Guidance... get it in addition to GFB or Booming, not instead. Its very useful.
Healing Word... doesnt need to be quickened and can be twinned... but skip if you still prefer Cure Wounds.
Spirit Guardians... in addition, not instead of Gtr Invis. Both are concentration, but they work best in different scenarios.
Death Ward... 8 hours, no concentration... cast it at the start of each day.
Holy Weapon... concentration... but 1 hour duration which makes it very good.
Heal... extra healing pool for you in combat, and can be quickened or twinned. The combo of Death Ward and Heal totally beat the hp bonus of Draconic sorcerer. Aid (which you can get from Paladin) can be cast in combat, too.

The cleric spells would definitely be nice to have but I don't know if they're worth taking up one of the 14 spells known as a sorcerer. What would your 14 spells from both lists be?

sithlordnergal
2019-07-12, 08:29 PM
Question, are you using Point Buy for stats? If so I'd actually go

Str: 15+1

Dex: 10

Con: 13+1

Int: 8

Wis: 12

Cha: 14+2

This makes you a bit more well rounded, and it will allow you to resist wisdom spells better which is very important.

Blood of Gaea
2019-07-12, 08:31 PM
The cleric spells would definitely be nice to have but I don't know if they're worth taking up one of the 14 spells known as a sorcerer. What would your 14 spells from both lists be?
1st: Shield.
2nd: Shadow Blade, Spiritual Weapon.
3rd: Spirit Guardians, Fly, Fireball (optionally exchange this for a second "OR" option).
4th: Death Ward, Greater Invisibility, Dimension Door OR Freedom of Movement.
5th: Raise Dead, Contagion OR Synaptic Static.
6th: Heal OR Mass Suggestion.
7th: Crown of Stars, Teleport OR Planeshift.

Of course, this may need tinkering to fit with your group.

Therealdill134
2019-07-12, 08:52 PM
Question, are you using Point Buy for stats? If so I'd actually go

Str: 15+1

Dex: 10

Con: 13+1

Int: 8

Wis: 12

Cha: 14+2

This makes you a bit more well rounded, and it will allow you to resist wisdom spells better which is very important.

I am using point buy for this and I feel that the 20 health and +1 to con saves is a bit better than getting the +2 to the already high +10 I'd have in wisdom saves (I am proficient and also aura of protection gives adds my charisma mod).

Fryy
2019-07-13, 12:48 AM

It really depends, but you might consider something like this selection below for a level 20 build. It has a lot of what you came up with in your first post... I hope it helps.

Sorcerer Spells (Cleric spells bolded)
1st - Absorb Elements, Shield
2nd - Misty Step
3rd - CounterSpell, Fly (c), Haste (c), Revivify, Spirit Guardians (c)
4th - Death Ward, Dimension Door
5th - Holy Weapon (c), Synaptic Static
6th - Heal
7th - Crown of Stars

Paladin Spells
1st - Bless (c), Cure Wounds, +2 more
2nd - Aid, +1 more

Corran
2019-07-13, 08:01 PM
I go Oath of Conquest mainly for the oath spells. I don't go past 6th level for paladin so it's only 1st and 2nd level spells and Channel Divinity.
No-concentration at will flight is a very nice ''capstone''. And the 9th level slot can be put to good use. But with aura of conquest in play you can do some very nice things. I'd trade any day a sorcerer level for getting that 7th level in conquest paly, for a conquest sorcadin. And depending on how much I would need certain 3rd level paladin spells (aura of vitality, dispel magic and revivify), I might even be tempted to go all the way up to paladin 9 (though if someone else covered for most some of those, I would be more tempted to stick to a 7/13 split).

Aura of conquest boosts the most effective tactics a conquest sorcadin can pull off. To jump a little ahead, I would make it a divine soul, because I would definitely want spirit guardians (if you are really commited to draconic bloodline, something like wall of fire could replace spirit guardians, though I doubt it would be as effective).

Here is what I'd do. First of all, I look at the channel divinity, conquering presence. On its own it's decent (and pretty strong as CD's go). With aura of conquest in play is a hell lot stronger. But, I could potentially combine it with certain quickened sorcerer spells to make this opening round a lot more dangerous (or use sorcerer spells to cover some weaknesses of conquering presence; depending how you look at it). For example, quickening a web (it doesn't have to be web, but I think web is the most cost-efficient for what we are looking for here) might be very vital whenever you are using conquering presence, because it gives you a chance (and great odds at maintaining if it first sticks) at restricting enemy movement. And restricting enemy movement will be very important as far as frightened (by anything else than the fear spell) melee enemies outside your aura of conquest are concerned (because of how they don't have the option to approach you and thus will engage your allies, which is something you want to avoid since it is you that aims at tanking). There is of course the possibility to counteract this by having all your allies gather really close to you (and yet, this plan will not always be valid), in which case counterspell will be a good spell to have available. Generally, conquering presence can backfire due to how exactly it is that it restricts enemy movement, at least for the enemies that are beyond 10' of you once you get aura of conquest (meaning that aura of conquest mitigates this problem, but does not solve it entirely). So quickening a web, or having the option to counterspell if the squishies gather close to you, assuming initiative and positioning allows for that, would be great spells to cover for the inherent weakness of any tactics keyed off conquering presence. Quickening a spirit guardians if you catch enough enemies with conquering presence within your aura of conquest radius (immobilized) will often be how you will go about winning fights.

Now, any tactics relying on conquering presence will be not just good, but great. And that's cause we have ways of boosting these tactics a lot. But conquering presence recharges on a short rest, and so you will not always have it available. But even when you do have it available, if you can catch enough dangerous enemies inside the AoE of a cone, that's when you want to use fear instead. That's because the effect of fear is much stronger than that of conquering presence, and even with the additional boost from concentration spells like web and spirit guardians that conquering presence can get, fear still comes on top imo. The downside is that it's not party friendly. You can solve it with careful. Fear is an ok spell. With careful it becomes miles better. With aura of conquest on top of it all, you are golden.

When you don't want to use fear effects, you can fall back to spells like bless, web and spirit guardians, or to simply tanking with shield, or dropping some AoE (vitriolic sphere plays nicely with web for example; so does freedom of movement; FoM + web + BB OA's + plus potentially lightning lure). Meaning, you fall back to some very generally applicable spells, which are good on their own, but the trick is that they can also combine with when you are using your main tactics, which will be fear tactics (mainly the following 4: wrathful smite, careful fear, conquering presence + quickened web, conquering presence + quickened spirit guardians; I guess conquering presence + quickened fear could be of use if you are extremelly desperate or unlucky, but eh...).

To summarize spell selection:

From sorcerer (and assuming 7 -and not 9- paladin levels), I'd definitely prioritize spells like:
1) Fear
2) Spirit Guardians
3) Web
4) Vitriolic Sphere
5) Freedom of Movement
6) Shield
7) Absorb Elements
8) Counterspell

… and I would look to round out this list with probably one more AoE (fireball most likely, cause I could put to good use the higher level slots), one of banishment or hold monster (depending on party comp; banishment if I have a lot of squishies, hold monster otherwise), one teleport (either misty step or dimension door; again, depending on group comp; there might be some value in trying to squeeze both of them in your list of known spells), definitely heal (possibly at the cost of mass suggestion), and maybe something like death ward or some other useful spell if I have enough room for it. I'd probably avoid healing word. It's a very good spell, but I don't think I would have enough low level spell slots for it in this build.

For cantrips:
1) GFB
2) BB
3) Lightning Lure
4) Firebolt/ Ray of Frost (definitely at least one ranged cantrip)
… plus two more of your choice (guidance and minor illusion/ prestidigitation/ mage hand/ message sound good to me).

From the paladin list, I'd definitely keep prepared (and make frequent use of) spells like wrathful smite, bless, lesser restoration and aid. And we've got some pretty decent oath spells as well (command, armor of agathys which plays well with high level slots and potentially with blade ward, hold person which is great even though somewhat situational, and spiritual weapon for when you want to weaponize your bonus actions without overpaying in resources for it). Branding smite has some synergy with the other CD (guided strike), so I would consider having it prepared as well (in case I need to smite a dangerous invisible opponent), though it does not sound all that exciting; still, something I would think about.

For feats: Warcaster obviously, then you can bump charisma (as your spell save DC and concentration save are what power your tactics). Later on (or early on, in case you play a vhuman), you can pick sth like inspiring leader, lucky, alert, bump str, or whatever.

g0nzo
2019-08-03, 10:00 AM
No-concentration at will flight is a very nice ''capstone''. And the 9th level slot can be put to good use. But with aura of conquest in play you can do some very nice things. I'd trade any day a sorcerer level for getting that 7th level in conquest paly, for a conquest sorcadin. And depending on how much I would need certain 3rd level paladin spells (aura of vitality, dispel magic and revivify), I might even be tempted to go all the way up to paladin 9 (though if someone else covered for most some of those, I would be more tempted to stick to a 7/13 split).

Aura of conquest boosts the most effective tactics a conquest sorcadin can pull off. To jump a little ahead, I would make it a divine soul, because I would definitely want spirit guardians (if you are really commited to draconic bloodline, something like wall of fire could replace spirit guardians, though I doubt it would be as effective).

Here is what I'd do. First of all, I look at the channel divinity, conquering presence. On its own it's decent (and pretty strong as CD's go). With aura of conquest in play is a hell lot stronger. But, I could potentially combine it with certain quickened sorcerer spells to make this opening round a lot more dangerous (or use sorcerer spells to cover some weaknesses of conquering presence; depending how you look at it). For example, quickening a web (it doesn't have to be web, but I think web is the most cost-efficient for what we are looking for here) might be very vital whenever you are using conquering presence, because it gives you a chance (and great odds at maintaining if it first sticks) at restricting enemy movement. And restricting enemy movement will be very important as far as frightened (by anything else than the fear spell) melee enemies outside your aura of conquest are concerned (because of how they don't have the option to approach you and thus will engage your allies, which is something you want to avoid since it is you that aims at tanking). There is of course the possibility to counteract this by having all your allies gather really close to you (and yet, this plan will not always be valid), in which case counterspell will be a good spell to have available. Generally, conquering presence can backfire due to how exactly it is that it restricts enemy movement, at least for the enemies that are beyond 10' of you once you get aura of conquest (meaning that aura of conquest mitigates this problem, but does not solve it entirely). So quickening a web, or having the option to counterspell if the squishies gather close to you, assuming initiative and positioning allows for that, would be great spells to cover for the inherent weakness of any tactics keyed off conquering presence. Quickening a spirit guardians if you catch enough enemies with conquering presence within your aura of conquest radius (immobilized) will often be how you will go about winning fights.

Now, any tactics relying on conquering presence will be not just good, but great. And that's cause we have ways of boosting these tactics a lot. But conquering presence recharges on a short rest, and so you will not always have it available. But even when you do have it available, if you can catch enough dangerous enemies inside the AoE of a cone, that's when you want to use fear instead. That's because the effect of fear is much stronger than that of conquering presence, and even with the additional boost from concentration spells like web and spirit guardians that conquering presence can get, fear still comes on top imo. The downside is that it's not party friendly. You can solve it with careful. Fear is an ok spell. With careful it becomes miles better. With aura of conquest on top of it all, you are golden.

When you don't want to use fear effects, you can fall back to spells like bless, web and spirit guardians, or to simply tanking with shield, or dropping some AoE (vitriolic sphere plays nicely with web for example; so does freedom of movement; FoM + web + BB OA's + plus potentially lightning lure). Meaning, you fall back to some very generally applicable spells, which are good on their own, but the trick is that they can also combine with when you are using your main tactics, which will be fear tactics (mainly the following 4: wrathful smite, careful fear, conquering presence + quickened web, conquering presence + quickened spirit guardians; I guess conquering presence + quickened fear could be of use if you are extremelly desperate or unlucky, but eh...).

To summarize spell selection:

From sorcerer (and assuming 7 -and not 9- paladin levels), I'd definitely prioritize spells like:
1) Fear
2) Spirit Guardians
3) Web
4) Vitriolic Sphere
5) Freedom of Movement
6) Shield
7) Absorb Elements
8) Counterspell

… and I would look to round out this list with probably one more AoE (fireball most likely, cause I could put to good use the higher level slots), one of banishment or hold monster (depending on party comp; banishment if I have a lot of squishies, hold monster otherwise), one teleport (either misty step or dimension door; again, depending on group comp; there might be some value in trying to squeeze both of them in your list of known spells), definitely heal (possibly at the cost of mass suggestion), and maybe something like death ward or some other useful spell if I have enough room for it. I'd probably avoid healing word. It's a very good spell, but I don't think I would have enough low level spell slots for it in this build.

For cantrips:
1) GFB
2) BB
3) Lightning Lure
4) Firebolt/ Ray of Frost (definitely at least one ranged cantrip)
… plus two more of your choice (guidance and minor illusion/ prestidigitation/ mage hand/ message sound good to me).

From the paladin list, I'd definitely keep prepared (and make frequent use of) spells like wrathful smite, bless, lesser restoration and aid. And we've got some pretty decent oath spells as well (command, armor of agathys which plays well with high level slots and potentially with blade ward, hold person which is great even though somewhat situational, and spiritual weapon for when you want to weaponize your bonus actions without overpaying in resources for it). Branding smite has some synergy with the other CD (guided strike), so I would consider having it prepared as well (in case I need to smite a dangerous invisible opponent), though it does not sound all that exciting; still, something I would think about.

For feats: Warcaster obviously, then you can bump charisma (as your spell save DC and concentration save are what power your tactics). Later on (or early on, in case you play a vhuman), you can pick sth like inspiring leader, lucky, alert, bump str, or whatever.

I read all of this - and your many good comments on the main sorcadin guide by gastronomie. Thanks!

I've posted in a couple of threads asking about this but I have rolled stats for a new Storm King's Thunder campaign and would appreciate everyone's thoughts on options for a half elf sorcadin (Starting paladin) with stats 16, 15, 15, 14, 14, 14 assigned as needed.

Currently tossing up a vengence paladin with Elven Accuracy for taking down bosses, taking war caster at either lvl 4 or 10. The other option is a conquest build of the sort you two are discussing.

Would you care to share any thoughts on pros and cons of the two options? As I see it conquest has far better control and AOE, and the fear is just epic. But the elven accuracy VoE gives a 27% chance of crit from two attacks so over a three round fight it's very likely I'll be getting at least one crit smite in which sounds fun. We have a well balanced group that's missing tanking and nova damage...hence sorcadin is ideal