PDA

View Full Version : Buff to Flexible Spellcasting instead of using the Spell Point variant rule?

bendking
2019-07-12, 04:49 AM
I've recently read up on the Spell Point variant rule, and I found it adds a much needed identity and buff to the Sorcerer class.
However, I wonder if the same result can be achieved with buffing Flexible spell-casting to acquire a mathematically equivalent feature to the Spell Point rule.
Has anyone wrote such a thing? Would be happy to see any such write-ups :)

Justin Sane
2019-07-12, 05:45 AM
It's easy enough - when converting a slot to Sorcery Points, instead of gaining a number of Sorcery Points equal to the slot's level, gain the same as it would cost to make one in the first place - so dissolving a level 3 slot would get you 5 Sorcery Points.
It maths out to exactly the same as using the Spell Points variant (with +1 Spell Point per level, thanks to the bonus Sorcery Points the Sorcerer gets as a baseline).

bendking
2019-07-12, 06:38 AM
It's easy enough - when converting a slot to Sorcery Points, instead of gaining a number of Sorcery Points equal to the slot's level, gain the same as it would cost to make one in the first place - so dissolving a level 3 slot would get you 5 Sorcery Points.
It maths out to exactly the same as using the Spell Points variant (with +1 Spell Point per level, thanks to the bonus Sorcery Points the Sorcerer gets as a baseline).

Ah, of course. Thank you!
I do suspect this option is more imbalanced than using the Spell Points variant rule, since in effect it merges Spell Points and Sorcery Points into one pool, but it's a nice option to have if you don't mind about that imbalance.

Amechra
2019-07-12, 08:17 AM
I do suspect this option is more imbalanced than using the Spell Points variant rule, since in effect it merges Spell Points and Sorcery Points into one pool, but it's a nice option to have if you don't mind about that imbalance.

Probably not? If you want to rejigger your spell slots, you'll need 2+ bonus action (one to convert a spell slot into points, and another to convert points into a spell slot). Spell point users don't have that action tax. You also run into the fact that you can't hold more than your Sorcerer level in points at once, which prevents you from doing big reassignments on the fly.

bendking
2019-07-12, 04:01 PM
Probably not? If you want to rejigger your spell slots, you'll need 2+ bonus action (one to convert a spell slot into points, and another to convert points into a spell slot). Spell point users don't have that action tax. You also run into the fact that you can't hold more than your Sorcerer level in points at once, which prevents you from doing big reassignments on the fly.

Good points.
This option definitely has it's benefits over the Spell Point system in terms of limiting nova-bility if wanted.