PDA

View Full Version : Share your party name

Sindal
2019-07-12, 04:53 AM
Hi all

Nice simple fun question for Friday

If your group or the group you dm has a party name, what is it? Is there a background to it?

The party im part of: The motley crew
Our dm had a habit of having npcs call us that. Eventually it just became our name.

The party I'm dming for: The arms bearers
Theyre armed. And the beastmaster has a bear. PUNNY

Sariel Vailo
2019-07-12, 05:08 AM
The first one carnival of Carnage. Mostly neutral and evil party for oota needed to be bribed to deal with it.

The mistakes, this one is a fluke it was a mistake the group even formed.

Laserlight
2019-07-12, 05:25 AM
Sherlock Gnomes And Friends Associates Scoundrels He Has Inexplicably Not Arrested Yet.

Comaward
2019-07-12, 06:10 AM
1st GROUP
Simon and the B-list heroes. Ongoing campaign.

Four players. Simon is the only PC whose name doesn't start with the letter B. The other three are named Baern, Brand, and Barong.

2nd GROUP
The No Edges special forces unit. Campaign concluded.

Half-Orc War Cleric, Mountain Dwarf Champion Fighter, Wood Elf Monk, and Human Battle Master, all of whom use bludgeoning weapons and all of whom have the words "no edges" written on their weapons so that it is the last thing their enemies see before death.

JakOfAllTirades
2019-07-12, 09:16 AM
My current character is a founding member of the Order of the Manticore, so called because they're a group of monster hunters for hire and a manticore was one of their first significant kills.

We're adventuring in the Tal'Dorei setting, and I was hoping for something Latin-ish sounding in the same vein as Critical Role's Vox Machina group, but the best I could come up with was "Lorem Ipsum" and the rest of my group voted no on that one. At least the Sorceress got the joke when she googled it....

Stallrein
2019-07-12, 09:34 AM
The B-Team

All the PC's made their characters separately from each other after session 0. 4/5 party members decided to give their characters B names.

Brytsora
Branch
Birch
Bren

Featuring Cervante as the 5th PC

NRSASD
2019-07-12, 09:36 AM
The party I grew up playing in was called The Phoenix Brigade, after we stalled a full-fledged zombie apocalypse by calling a phoenix in on the center of town. It saved our bacon, but may have started a horrific firestorm that consumed a sizeable chunk of the city.

Then there were the Troubleshooters (we find trouble... and shoot it). They were very much a suicide squad with a revolving cast of maniacs. It was a great time, being lobbed at problems the city didn't want to deal with at the time. Many locals were terrorized and many buildings were incinerated, but we always got results.

Our traveling band of con men and bards became known as The Well Constructed Yurts, after an early encounter with nomadic horse peoples accidentally emphasized just how well constructed their domiciles were. This party wound up founding a religion known as Yurtism, which is actually just a ponzi scheme. Whenever they needed to go undercover, they went by the moniker Jacket of Rats, a shortened form of an early favorite antagonist, a swarm of sentient rats with a wand of magic missiles in a trench coat.

Our Curse of Strahd group was known as Varying Degrees of People, as out of the 9 characters only two were identifiable as human. Later on, as insanity and lycanthropic makeouts took their toll, there were no longer any pure humans left. Thus was born three smaller teams, Team Bird, Team Cat, and Team Elf. There was a lot of infighting in that group, and conveniently people divided down ethnic lines more-or-less.

RickAsWritten
2019-07-12, 10:07 AM
Much to my chagrin, the group has decided to call themselves Charlie's Angels after being recruited by the God of Chaos, Charbadonsifers, to take care of a series of threats from the gone-rogue God of Order. I should note: none of them are women or remotely angelic

PhantomSoul
2019-07-12, 10:26 AM
Games as player:
- Hjolmir and his Weapons (so named because the barbarian once used the rogue as a weapon and then it became a recurring joke), no new name after a most-of-the-pk
- The Posse Cat Dahls (cooking monk, tabaxi rogue, knighted cleric and Lady Dahlia [a bard brothel manager]), might be revised given there's a new member and the tabaxi died
- [No name quite settled on yet]

Games as DM:
- The Poutine Peeps (they invented poutine as a use for their "victory potato", actually just a potato given as a makeshift silencer for the gunslinger)

airless_wing
2019-07-12, 11:29 AM
The Wright Brothers.

None of us are brothers, it is a mostly female party, and none of us have the family name "Wright". It's a surprisingly serious campaign too. The only reason it's so goofy is that we didn't have a name in mind when we were asked, and our Mage forgot that she was speaking in-character.

Chrizzt
2019-07-12, 11:36 AM
My group who is spelunking through the Underdark has started to call itself the Leitsternbanner (Guiding Star Banner).

Partly because this sounds militaristic and it turns out we are for hire. Secondly, because apparantly one of our goals is to bring some fellow ex drow slaves back to their homes.. shining their way..

Karnitis
2019-07-12, 12:02 PM
The Iron Seagulls.

My group was doing our first mission together, exploring a forest. We found a dead band of mercenaries that had been hired before us, but who had gone missing. I loot their bodies, we complete the mission. Later, we end up speaking with a local politician, who asks who we are. I look my DM dead in the eyes, hold up the looted paraphernalia, and say "We are the Iron Seagulls now."

He's tried to get us to drop the name a few times now, saying there are other groups of Iron Seagulls who will come after us. I laugh, as if that will deter us. I now tell everyone we meet we have always been the Iron Seagulls, the dead guys were the new people in town (also actually us) and we are going to reclaim the name from the usurpers.

We have been on the island for three days.

Man_Over_Game
2019-07-12, 12:43 PM
The last group I was with that had a name used "LTK"

They didn't actually know what it stood for, they just used it for the last year or so. When I joined, I had assumed it was "Licensed to Kill", and that's what it stayed when I was gone.

bc56
2019-07-12, 02:12 PM
"The Fangs"

They killed a T-Rex and decided they would tear out its fangs as trophies. They all wear T-Rex fang necklaces and give them away to their friends.

moonfly7
2019-07-12, 02:12 PM
My team once attacked an elvin sentry in a tree on our way to an elven city, because we thought he was a monster.
Anyways, the barbarian throws his handaxe, rolls a nat 20, and the DM narrates how his axe chops down all the trees in a circle around us, before hitting the archer out of the tree he was in. With an axe in his back. The guy starts to stand, But my bard casts sleep on him.
He wakes a minute later, and I roll a nat 20 to convince him he was attacked by a monster, and we fought it off. Then, the wizard yells that it was the mighty Morglog, with its fearsone axe tail.
The DM tells him to roll a persuasion check, and we all think all my hardwork was for not. He rolls a nat 20.
So the guard pulls out a manual on monsters, and flips through it.
He proceeds to proclaim how dangerous morglogs are, and how, if we fought and killed it(the wizard had told him they disappeared when they die) then we were heros welcome in the city.
The king thanks us, pays us gold, and knights us the Mighty Morglog Slayers. The DM imformed us Morglogs now exist, and we will one day fight one.

SpanielBear
2019-07-12, 02:16 PM
D&D 5e: The Untouchables. In hope rather than expectation (although no-one's died yet...)

Fifth City Outlaws: The Luncheon Club.

Naanomi
2019-07-12, 02:16 PM
Not sure any of our current groups have names, but for years we were ‘the Acquisition’

Callak_Remier
2019-07-12, 07:21 PM
The Oxymandius 5
Captain Rasputin and Crew
The Jaustin 5
The Steel Cloak's

This is all the same group BTW.

KorvinStarmast
2019-07-12, 07:28 PM
Our first group in D&D 5e were called "The Unknowns" and there were six of us.

Our current ToA group has had four or five members as people come and go. I named them the FUPS
Four Unlikely Problem Solvers
or
Sive Unlikely Problem Solvers
The other players go along with it.

Bubzors
2019-07-12, 08:03 PM
Two come to mind.

First: The Magnificent Mind Slayers
This was from a short campaign where the party was part of a stereotypical adventuring guild. In an early adventure, (like level 3 or 4) there was a dead Illithid at the end of the dungeon. It was meant to foreshadow a powerful enemy they would encounter later, but they took the head of the Illithid on a pike and started shameless self promotion. It did great for their start up adventuring company :smallbiggrin:

Second: The Infamous Dinripple Gang
In this one we started off with Lost Mines of Phandelver, before segueing into Hoard of the Dragon Queen and now moving onto Rise of Tiamat. During the part in HotDQ where you infiltrate/attack the castle in the swamp, we decided to pretend to be others so they would not no of our do-goodery. In the moment my paladin introduced ourselves as the Infamous Dinripple gang, with me as their leader, Johnny Dinripple (a half-elf). I claimed all the other members were my family, Slow George Dinripple(Human rogue), Betty Dinripple (gnome druid), and Stacey Dinripple (Tabaxi Bard). It worked stunningly, until we realized that people only knew us as the Dinripples from our exploits. All of the survivors of encounters with us spread the legend of the Dinripple gang, of which we can now not escape. People do not believe us when we use our real names, instead pointing out that we look an awful lot like that troublesome Dinripple Gang... :smallfrown:

DarkKnightJin
2019-07-13, 01:11 AM
Only one of the 3 groups I play in has a name. Probably because 1 is an Evil campaign based around starting up a fort and becoming a political power in its own right. And the 3rd has just my Naga Paladin left as the only licensed Adventurer of the original party.

My Cleric is part of "BTN Company", which stands for "Better Than Nothing". So named after an NPC Bard (that later joined as DMPC for lore stuff and a bit of support casting in fights) joked about the kinda edgy name we'd had been trying to force was 'better than nothing'. And the Warlock went "Yes! That's our name now."
OoC, I was laughing. ICly, my Cleric still doesn't *like* the name, or the jokes that usually come with it.. but he's accepted that he can't change it now.
And he's even used the joke himself on occasion. Usually followed by a groan and/or facepalm as he realizes he did. Which is sorta ironic, as he's the party 'dad'.

Falcon X
2019-07-13, 01:35 AM
Happy Adventure Time (HAT)

Shrimp Smashers (our first battle was a giant shrimp)

Chrizzt
2019-07-13, 02:29 AM
I love those stories were unwanted-for party names stick ^^

I was never too much a fan of too funny party names, because it is a little bit spoiling the immersion. Some in my group are not such thight as I am in this regard, but for me a respectful party name was important. There were some nice suggestions and stories here in this regard.

Bonus points for The Fangs with their initiation tooth necklaces. :)

Rynjin
2019-07-13, 02:46 AM
The longest running Pathfinder game I'm in has our group called "Spiny's Six". We needed a team name to enter a tournament, and eventually settled on an homage to our dead friend's pet dinosaur (a spinosaurus, of course named Spiny) as our official-unofficial mascot.

The fact that it has stuck as our official adventuring group now and we get introduced to important meetings with nobles and suchas "Spiny's Six" is somewhat amusing.

I was also in a sadly short lived (about 6 sessions) Mutants and Masterminds game where our hero team was known to most as "The Mother****ers". Officially we were the "Magnificent five", but give criminals an acronym like that and they'll roll with it. Plus half our team were kind of pricks and we'd developed a bit of lore of being kind of the "last chance team" for superheroes on the verge of being kicked out of this universe's official crime fighting organization for various reasons, so the former was used more often among civilians too.

My character (a wizard-type named Coyote Jack with a grab bag of powers) doing stuff like teleporting onto the set of talk shows **** talking our crew drunk, in his pajamas, to **** talk back did not help us lose that designation.

Innocent_bystan
2019-07-13, 07:13 AM
Greycastle's Heroes

The party leader is Gregor Greycastle, grandson of the legendary Greycastle, the dragon slayer, whose only ambition is becoming as famous as his granddad. Quest payment always includes naming some landmark after him and having a holiday in his honour.

Dialogue with the party invariably starts with: 'My name is Gregor Greycastle, grandson of Greycastle the dragon slayer -strikes dramatic pose- you might have heard of me. The answer is usually no.

Our base of operations is called Greycastle Castle.