PDA

View Full Version : A Kidnapping in Magnimar

CasualViking
2019-07-12, 06:40 AM
Through conversations with your contacts in inns, guilds, temples, mercenary outfits and others, you have all found yourselves in a small meeting room in the Merchant's Guild. The squat stone structure closer resembles a fort than a guildhall from the outside, and even the inside is more utilitarian that ostentatious, as far as you have seen.

Across the table from you sits a richly dressed nobleman. His hawkish nose betrays a Chelaxian heritage, and as per the traditions of that land, he has not allowed middle age to make him fat, addled or slow. Behind him stand two armed and armored figures, the key sigil of Abadar emblazoned on their breastplates.

https://www.scabard.com/user/dragonkinfolk/image/wicked_nobleman_by_ervosy-d9g8kqj.jpg?imaged=260

"So good of you to come, ladies and gentlemen. Word has it that you are the best that money can buy. I am Mivonis Vanderale, and I need the best for a delicate matter."

"Not to beat around the bush, my daughter Marcella was kidnapped from out town house two days ago. The kidnappers gained access through her barred and warded window, and managed to leave without a trace. On the morning, we discovered her gone. A note was left, directing me to meet Madame Soliras at the Dreaming Dryad at a given time. Yesterday, I visited that den of drug users and wastrels, and was granted an audience with Madame Soliras. She was hidden behind a screen for the entire encounter; I could only see her shadow. She had a henchman there, a brutish Shoanti who seemed to speak no Common. They revealed to me that they had my daughter there but…."

Mivonis takes a moment to compose himself.

"She had been turned to stone. That damned Madame Soralis took great joy in having her henchman reveal the statue to me at the most dramatic moment. I feel I should tell you this straight up: I am fairly certain that Madame Soliras is a medusa, a monstrous hag-woman with snakes for hair and a petrifying gaze."

"Now, the ransom, and the reason I called you here. The price for my daughter's safe return is modest. They want the deed to a played out iron mine a ways down the coast. A price I am happy to pay. They want to do the exchange tomorrow evening, at a place to be named later. Now. For your services as guards, I will pay a lump sum of 3,000 gold pieces upon my daughter's safe return. But if you can bring the bastards who took her to justice, I will pay 10,000 gold pieces., and I will commision the best playwrights to immortalize your deeds."

Snowbluff
2019-07-12, 02:16 PM
"Allen Fairweather"

A willowy young man man with dark, curly hair and large, red eyes smiles gently in the corner. He looks over the assembled company, smiling a smile that is a slight too broad.

"Of course, this sounds like a fascinating assignment. A simple hand-off, with the option to... disassemble the Lady Soliras's organization. Quite intriguing, indeed. Well, whatever the pay, I'm game. If we're lucky, we can get you to keep your mine as well." Allen tents his fingers. "This will be a valuable learning experience for us all," he finishes, his eyes scanning unblinkingly over the other adventurers.

samduke
2019-07-12, 04:00 PM
"Dawn Quixote"
an average looking woman
the sum offered seems reasonable for the task at hand, perhaps we should leave ahead of you to scout the area to check things out

kinem
2019-07-12, 09:54 PM
Gary Griffin

The blond half-elf wearing a chain shirt and bearing a mace speaks up. "Very understandable, Mr. Vanderale, but I just want to make sure that we are all on the same page. Do you request the relocation of these rascals to under the Pediment Building, or six feet under?"

CasualViking
2019-07-12, 11:57 PM
"If you can take the people responsible and bring them in alive, I would consider that most impressive and I will add a bonus".

Hjolnai
2019-07-13, 02:56 AM
Nicolae stands with back straight, affecting the bearing of a professional warrior and showing just the right amount of respect. His natural stance, accent and dialect are completely suppressed, and when he speaks he sounds every inch the respectable townsman - with just a hint of a Taldane accent to put the Chelaxian noble at ease.

"Very good. Now, our highest priority is the return of your daughter, yes? So until she is safe, the Medusa and her servants should be watched but not harmed?"

CasualViking
2019-07-13, 03:47 AM
"Indeed. The safe return of my daughter is paramount. You are also welcome to investigate the scene of the kidnapping, though I fear you will find scantly any cues there. The mine is 30 miles down the coast. And I suppose some of you might be able to ask around for any information on this Madame Soliras."

samduke
2019-07-13, 07:56 AM
understandable concern, and knowing as much as we can about Madame Soliras and why they want a played out mine specifically could be useful.

somethingrandom
2019-07-13, 03:48 PM
"I am Svek and if Allen is taking the assignment then I have little choice. Do you have the means to turn her back if we can recover the statue?"

Snowbluff
2019-07-13, 11:37 PM
"Allen Fairweather"

Allen's eyes slide over to their patron. "I would like to investigate the scene, if only so I can see the culprits," he says mysteriously. He has magic that lefts him read an area, a talent he's found useful for playing the role of the master detective.

He pats Svek on the shoulder. "Of course, my dear insectile friend, if this goes south, your debt to me may be repaid in but an evening. Speaking on possible deaths, I do imagine there are just as many ways the poor victim of this conflict could be restored with Mister Vanderdale's resources. Getting her back should be the priority safely before we concern ourselves with the minutae of her recovery. That being said, getting ahead of the kidnappers would be quite beneficial..."

Just Helping
2019-07-14, 12:21 AM
Tena of Lowcleft

A blonde woman who had accompanied Allen and company here sat quietly in the back, slightly fluctuating from picture-perfect etiquette with light moments of mercurial consideration. In a moment of reflection, Tena seconds Allen's request.

"Indeed, Sir Vanderale. If one might oblige Detective Fairweather, his post-cognition ability might prove useful. While I have no doubt we shall be able to facilitate the return of your daughter, such a vision of the past might elucidate an aid for us to deliver these assailants to you."

CasualViking
2019-07-14, 02:52 AM
"Very well, then. I will take you to the house, so you can see the scene for yourself". With that, Lord Vanderale rises and sets off. Outside the guildhall, the Abadaran guards are replaced by a squad in House Vanderale livery. He addresses the soldiers: "These fine folk are to be offered your full cooperation. You will answer their questions to the absolute best of your abilities".

With that out the way, you make your way to the Vanderale townhouse. It is a two-storey villa surrounded by an outer wall, with a gatehouse, a stable and a gardener's shed.

CasualViking
2019-07-14, 03:06 AM
You are shown to Marcella's room on the top floor. There are no signs of a struggle inside the room, but the flimsy latch on the shutters has been broken, as has the solid iron bars on the outside of the window.

The bars look like they were meticulously sawed in half with delicate tools as to leave no marks. There are even traces of fine powder, as you would expect from a fine soothed metal saw. But even with adamantine tools, this is hours of work.

Clean cuts, no trace of the missing iron bars, fine dusty residue... this could be the result of a Disintegrate spell.

kinem
2019-07-14, 11:43 AM
Gary Griffin takes a moment to heighten his senses, and looks at the scene with great care. He takes about a minute just staring at where the iron bars were.

Cast Heightened Awareness (80 min). Use Focused Trance for Knowledge (Arcana).
Perception [roll0]
Knowledge (Engineering) [roll1]
Knowledge (Arcana) [roll2]

At last he says "Very interesting. The iron bars were either sawed through very carefully over many hours … or magically disintegrated very quickly. If the latter, we may face a powerful foe indeed. If the former, we may face a clever foe, which is not to be taken lightly either."

He also casts the cantrips to detect magic, poison, and psychic significance within and around the room and window.

samduke
2019-07-14, 12:28 PM
While allowing the others to do most of the investigating dawn takes a look around
k. arcana (1d20+2)[10], k. engineering (1d20+6)[12], perception (1d20+6)[26]
otherwise she stays out of the way for others to investigate the area

somethingrandom
2019-07-14, 05:24 PM
Svek looks around and also looks out for unusual smells.(They have the scent ability)
[roll0]

Just Helping
2019-07-14, 10:24 PM
Tena of Lowcleft

While Tena is not the investigator that Allen is, she does take a look around the room from the sidelines.

Arcana: d20+6
Perception: d20+12

Since rolling failed, the results are 19 for Arcana and 16 for Perception, as seen here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=24031679&postcount=24)

Snowbluff
2019-07-14, 10:32 PM
Allen Fairweather

Allen's already too wide smile widens a bit further as he stares at Tena. "Thank you very much, Miss Tena," he says pleasantly.

At the room, he examines the window. He doesn't stop smiling, but he doesn't smile as much. He's not very good with the study of magic, given that his talents were part of his birth as a kitsune. "Very well, if we're to conclude the exact cause, I do have the ability to share my Past Sight with other. Anyone who is willing to join me in our jaunt to the past, please let me know," he says.

He makes up some arcane movements to cast the spell. It's necessary for the spell, but mandatory for the facade.

Allen and other subjects (up to 4) are Flat-Footed.
For each 10 minutes Allen Concentrates, they see one day into the past, up to 8 days.
Sight range is close (50 feet, IIRC)

Sense Motives (on invaders): [roll0]
Perception (search for clues): [roll1]
Spellcraft (identifying any spells): [roll2]
Bluff (if anyone tries to call him out on his BS casting): [roll3]

CasualViking
2019-07-14, 11:04 PM
As the sand runs up the hourglass....

Put back in the usual order of things, you see the following happen:

A green beam of energy plays across the iron bars, disintegrating them.
A light grayish beam pulses against the shutters, and they are pushed open, breaking the latch.
A grayish beam strikes the just-woken-up Marcella, petrifying her.
The light grayish beam again, seeming to pull her out the window.

As you look out the window, the source of the beams is beyond the swirling motes that border the magical past sight. But you do see one of the household guards looking up, with a look of horror on his face. A yellow beam strikes him, and a giant's voice booms out: You saw nothing!.

You have heard of some of the magic used here, but (other than disintegration being a green ray) never have those spells been described as looking anything like that.

Hjolnai
2019-07-15, 06:50 AM
Nicolae responds with concealed trepidation to Allen's offer.

"Yes, we must see what passed here to have the best chance."

As the haze of the vision clears, Nicolae is quick to recover.

"Concerning. The adversary appears not to have entered at all, but used magic for the entire abduction. Still, they must have flown very close to the window for fear of being seen. One moment..."

Nicolae leans out the window, carefully checking the frame and shutters for any splinters which may have caught a thread or strand of hair - either from the stone Marcella's clothes or a too-close abductor.

I'd say finding this kind of detail is tracking (i.e. Survival), just like looking for fur caught on a twig. If you think Perception is better suited, then just add 1 to the result - Nicolae's perception bonus is +14.
Survival:
[roll0]

kinem
2019-07-15, 08:09 PM
Gary agrees to share the vision with Allen.

"Concerning indeed. All magic rays, strange. Allen, might it be possible for you to use the same spell, but nearer to the estimated location of the perpetrator, so that we might see her?"

ooc:
Kw (Arcana) [roll0]
Perception for outside [roll1]

Snowbluff
2019-07-16, 12:12 AM
"Allen Fairweather"

"We are of one mind, fellow detective," Allen says to Gray. "I was about to consider using it outside one we can estimate the origin o f the spell work. However, I am limited in the amount of magic I can operate per day, and this kind of magic is particularly taxing. We should do our best not to overuse it."

Allen will try his best to estimate where to land the next Past Sight.

CasualViking
2019-07-16, 03:50 AM
There are no loose threads caught in the windowsill. Marcella's clothes and hair were turned to stone along with her, and she was magically lifted out of the window.

Allen easily procures a ladder and a few stout guards to hold it steady out in the street, as he readies another Past Sight.

Snowbluff
2019-07-16, 10:37 AM
"Allen Fairweather"

"Thank you, good sirs," Allen says from the top of the ladder. He does another arcane motion, and peers into the past with another Past Sight.

perceptio [roll0]
sense [roll1]

samduke
2019-07-16, 08:50 PM
dawn climbs down the ladder and follows Allen.

Hjolnai
2019-07-18, 02:43 AM
Nicolae stands just inside the window, both to receive the vision and to catch Allen in the unlikely event of a fall.

Just Helping
2019-07-18, 02:55 AM
Tena of Lowcleft

Tena quietly agrees to share in Allen's visions, taking the place opposite of Nicolae for the second. While she knew little of spellcasting, she might see something else that she could diagnose.

At the very least, it was novel to have someone else act on her internal sense of time for once.

kinem
2019-07-18, 03:03 AM
Gary intends to share the vision as well, so he stands near the ladder.

somethingrandom
2019-07-19, 05:37 AM
Svek seeing how crowded things are getting around the ladder and doubting that he would be able pick up anything that the others could not does not try to share in the vision unless asked to and instead watches in case the perpetrator returns to the scene of the crime or the like.

CasualViking
2019-07-20, 09:55 AM
As you dive into the past once more, you see a huge cloud of darkness hanging over the street in the night. The pitch black darkness reveals nothing....except to Tena.

A huge toothy maw; the creature seems to be nothing but eyes and max. Big enough to swallow a man. Eyes in every direction, and the beams of magic seem to come from those eyes.

Just Helping
2019-07-21, 01:37 AM
Tena of Lowcleft

Tena quietly watched the visions, intrigued by the mouths in the shadows. "Eyes and maw... What is that strange creature?"

If only she could see more of it, the thing might make a good part of a sketch later.

Snowbluff
2019-07-21, 12:39 PM
"Allen Fairweather"

"Wow," Allen says. "Looks like some sort of darkness spell? Maybe? Or is it just dark out? I guess it was the middle of the night. Anyone want to light a torch or have you collected sufficient information for the rest of us?"

kinem
2019-07-22, 09:19 PM
Gary says "Tena, I look forward to seeing whatever you can sketch of it.

But some things seem clear already. The strange creature gives the gang considerable power. Its magic seems based on rays, so it probably needs to see its targets. It is intelligent, able to carry out a complex plan, and may even be the leader.

I think it unlikely that Mivonis was correct about Madame Soralis being a medusa, since we saw how the petrification was really done, but we can't rule it out entirely. The shadow he saw was more likely meant to give that false impression, which could have been done in several ways."

Just Helping
2019-07-23, 01:06 AM
Tena of Lowcleft

Tena frowns in thought, looking around the room as she re-enacts the altercation in her mind. "Mayhap, yet... To reflect the snakes of a medusa, should it not have acted so? Hissing and slithering... it did not seem to do those things."

Hjolnai
2019-07-23, 04:57 AM
"I see. We cannot be certain of the creature's nature then. However..."

Nicolae looks out the window, taking note of the surroundings.

That darkness was not natural. Clearly it was intended to prevent observation from the ground - there will be witnesses, but all they saw would be the same darkness we did. One thing is certain though - the adversary is far too powerful to care about a single iron mine. We should retire to a more discreet location to discuss our next move. The adversary may still be observing us."

CasualViking
2019-07-23, 06:28 AM
Mivonis Vanderale offers you the use of his divination-proofed basement room.

It iz a cozy little room, with a table, 4 chairs, and a closet with writing supplies, wine and a few snacks. The walls and floor are covered in carpets, but a cursory examination reveals metal underneath.

Hjolnai
2019-07-23, 06:55 AM
As the door closes on the private room, Nicolae's entire bearing changes. Instead of a firm stride, he moves fluidly to the table, where he shifts a chair around so that he can keep an eye on the door. The table creaks as he leans an arm on it.

"Right. Way I see it, the mark doesn't want the iron. That means 'is daughter's in danger. We gotta get 'er out before the handover, 'cos the mark might not care if she lives 'at long."

Nicolae grabs a wine bottle and pours himself a generous dram before continuing.

"I got some contacts, but not enough in this city. There's someone knows something, we just got to find 'im. Any bright ideas?"

samduke
2019-07-23, 01:57 PM
go to the area scout it out see what we can find out, maybe even locate the girl. The bigger question though is why a played out mine, that too needs investigated before the handover.

kinem
2019-07-23, 11:04 PM
Gary says "I must admit that the motives behind this mystify me. If killing Mr. Vanderale and/or his daughter was the goal, that could have been done already, easily. So the mine might actually be valuable. Perhaps something else was found there, such as diamonds. Or it might make a good spawning ground for the creature. But why not just seize it directly? Or if attention from the law were a worry, why not simply buy it? I mean, if I had the motive and the means, I would blackmail some other fellow for the gold and then buy the mine legally and no one would be likely to connect the two. Of course, the creature may not have enough experience in human affairs to be so discreet.

The mine is thirty miles away though. I don't think we can get there and back in time to investigate it before the swap is supposed to occur tomorrow evening, and we have other avenues to pursue here."

Hjolnai
2019-07-24, 04:00 AM
Nicolae holds his glass up to the light, carefully tastes a single drop, and then gulps down the wine in a heartbeat.

"Way I see i', there's two possibilities. The mine's impor'ant, we're best to let the trade go through - but we lose the mine. Otherwise, the mine's a distraction, an' the girl won't survive the 'andover. Best risk is to get 'er back now if we can, I say. Can't spare the time to go check unnerground, 'cos by the time we get back we don't got the choice anyway."

Snowbluff
2019-07-24, 05:25 PM
"Allen Fairweather"

"I doubt mundane goods are the goal of the beast that abducted the child," Allen says, his large, wide eyes passing over the room. "I am beginning to doubt that the ransomer is a medusa as well. However, I do wonder if she's the one really in control of the situation. Perhaps the many eyed monster is the one pulling the strings, and there is something at the mine that it can make use of. Of course, the other option is that it's merely a retainer, and I'm overthinking this terribly. I'm inclined to the former, however. Perhaps I am biased for a more, shall we say, supernatural explanation." He looks at Tena. "Of course, either way a kidnapping could be a way to try and keep the exchange of the mind out of the public. Not every noble will turn to the guard on their first try. This way there isn't a paper trail to the acquisition of the land."

He makes his way onto a chair and begins making notes in a notebook. "We could start a pool," he jests. "However, I would like to find an in at their organization. My interest now extends far beyond the contract we have with that noble. Perhaps we should depart now, so I can get a good look at some of the ransomer's hands."

Just Helping
2019-07-24, 11:15 PM
Tena of Lowcleft

Tena notices Allen looking to her and replies. "You generally do, but... outside of certain pursuits, I am hardly an expert on the supernatural."

She waited until Allen was finished to question, "Hands, you say?"

Hjolnai
2019-07-25, 08:06 AM
"Looks to me we better go to this... Dreaming Dryad, and see if we can't track down Soliras from there. If she's part of an crew, she'll have a contact there - no way she'd do the threatening there wi'out that bit of safety. Course, I got no idea about the magic. Maybe 'at's a better lead. The mine'll take too long - time we get back it's all over."

somethingrandom
2019-07-26, 04:18 AM
Svek begins asking Allen Telepathically (I am assuming the amount of time we have spent together that he is a member of Svek's colective but if not tell me and I will edit this post) I wasn't part of the... before remembering that there are those who they are working with who are not part of his collective and his manners and starts again verbally.
"Allen I didn't see the vision the second time you looked back in time what is this many eyed monster?"

Snowbluff
2019-07-27, 11:52 PM
"Allen Fairweather"

"And what would those be?" Allen asks Tena coyly. "As for hands, I do mean her agents. They would be excellent as a primary source on our little inqisition."

"As for the monster, I didn't personally get a look at it, but I think someone mentioned it was 8 or 9 eyes. The Dreaming Dryad seems like our best lead. Of course, hiding such a large creature as the abductor would be difficult in public, so I reckon we wouldn't end up inadvertently rendezvousing with it there. So I believe we should head there first," Allen continues, leaning back in his chair and flipping a coin between his fingers in one hand.

Hjolnai
2019-07-29, 02:50 AM
Nicolae grabs an apple from the table, and after a brief inspection starts slicing it with a dagger.

"Aye, 'at's what I said. Dryad's where it's at. How'd we want to go in, velvet or steel?"

He stabs a slice of apple and offers it to Tena.

"Apple for the lady?"

Just Helping
2019-07-29, 11:16 PM
Tena of Lowcleft

Tena smirks at Allen's question. "My, my, Allen. Here I thought you understood my drawings already..." She shakes her head.

"As for our approach? I would suggest that it is easier to turn to steel after velvet, than the other way around."

Tena turns to Nicolae, casually plucking the apple off his blade. "Why yes, I think I would like some. Thank you." She bites into it, still amused that Allen showed his hand.

Hjolnai
2019-07-30, 08:12 AM
For a moment Nicolae grins, and his youth shows through despite his troubled past. The moment passes, and he returns to the matter at hand.

"Actually, I got an idea. I go in, dressed as a lucky merchant - not too rich, just enough to make decent bait. Let slip my next call, coupla ruffians jump me in the alley, you jump 'em, and we have a nice conversation, all friendly-like. 'Ey won't be the mark's own, but might know who is. 'At's when we break out the velvet."

samduke
2019-07-30, 06:27 PM
dressed as a lucky merchant ya say and what if we can not get to them before something nasty happens?
the velvet touch i think is the approach to be used just where and how.

kinem
2019-07-30, 10:09 PM
Gary says "We should start with a diplomatic approach, yes. As amusing as your plan might be, Nicolae, it's unlikely to be worth our time, I think. Too much uncertainty at this point. It's not a bad idea though to look like we are not all in the same group, in case a ruse begins to seem advantageous."

Hjolnai
2019-07-31, 04:20 AM
"Okay, okay, first plan never works. 'At's why we're 'ere to put together a better one. Firs' thing's first, what do we know about the Dryad? Never been there meself."

Just Helping
2019-08-01, 12:53 AM
Tena of Lowcleft

"I have visited on occasion. The on-site accommodations for... paying clientele might prove useful." Tena takes a sip of wine, the apple bit since eaten.

"If one wishes to imbibe while there, I might recommend the Riddleport Tea."

Snowbluff
2019-08-01, 09:38 AM
"Allen Fair Fairweather"

"Of course I do," Allen says, with a playfully hurt expression on his face. "After all to understand art is to understand the artist."

"As for entering the establishment, I quite fond of a disguise or 2. This is primarily why I wanted to get a good look at one of the henchmen, since infiltration is one of my specialties."

Hjolnai
2019-08-05, 07:39 AM
Nicolae refills his glass, then puts it down with hardly a glance.

'Ow about this then? We're a crew of scum new in town, don't want to risk stepping on any toes. Looking for someone to tell us who's who an' maybe line up some work. Easy - just walk in and start asking questions all quiet-like. Oh, best if we got one or two of us in there first, looks like off-duty watchmen drinkin' their pay. 'At way we got reinforcements to take 'em from behind if steel's drawn."

samduke
2019-08-05, 06:16 PM
so infiltration is that the plan?

Just Helping
2019-08-05, 10:19 PM
Tena of Lowcleft

"That should likely be our best approach," Tena began. "While most of the clientele should be rather intoxicated enough to not notice, I should probably stress that the Dryad is..."

Tena trailed off, trying to mind her phrasing. "Simply, it is a 'higher-class' -- that is the phrase, yes? -- a higher-class establishment than some manner of tavern."

Snowbluff
2019-08-08, 04:45 PM
"Allen Fairweather"

"How right you are. The last thing we would want is to expect a raucous, inebriated gaggle of humans when in fact we've arrived at a wine tasting party made of some very astute individuals," Allen says.

Hjolnai
2019-08-09, 06:50 AM
"Ooo, fancy, is i'? Makes no difference - jus' have to speak the language. I am Captain Keran Fox of the Blue Fox Mercenary Company. Gimme a minute an' I can mock up a sigil for it, so's we look a proper company."

Nicolae rummages briefly through his bags, coming up with a sheet of fine blue cotton, needle and thread.

"After that, best we move quickly."

Making a company symbol probably doesn't count as a proper disguise, but a disguise kit should still have the appropriate materials.

kinem
2019-08-10, 09:33 AM
”Very well, this could be an effective approach” Gary says.

somethingrandom
2019-08-11, 02:54 AM
"I don't exactly blend into a crowd easily but if you want me to come in with you I will.

CasualViking
2019-08-13, 12:31 PM
You set out for the Dreaming Dryad. It's not hard to find; a wooden glade sticks out, nestled as it is between stout brick houses. As you approach it, the sunlight disappears as if you walked through a curtain into a darkened room, and above you is only starlight - thought the light is plenty to let you see the footpath going into the woods.

Birds cheep, other woodland creatures titter, and the air is full of sweet scents. "Captain Keran Fox of the Blue Fox Mercenary Company" and maybe one or two of his fellow "mercenaries" walk in, while the rest of you wait in the meeting room back at the mansion, to arrive somewhat later on a different route, to avoid any notice of a connection.

Inside is a lounge. Soft chairs and sofas line the walls, and music can be heard somewhere far-off. An elf of indeterminate gender greets you: "Welcome to the dreaming dryad. I am Kes. What's your pleasure?". They offer you a leather-bound menu. "You look hard. Maybe a soft, relaxing experience, a little floaty, a little dreamy?" they suggest.

https://lexiecannes.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/andrej-pejic-model-andrejpejicmodelcom.jpg

Snowbluff
2019-08-13, 02:16 PM
"Allen Fairweather" disguised as "Dirk Blacksea of the Blue Foxes."

A mercenary dressed in leather armor, long black hair ted into a ponytail, and with a scar on his face enters the Dreaming Dryad.

"Well, this is quite a nice place," Dirk mutters to himself. He accepts a menu, and casually examines it while scoping out the room.

Allen is disguised as human with the Change Shape ability.
Disguise [roll0]

Perception [roll1]

Sense Motive on anyone suspicious [roll2]

kinem
2019-08-13, 09:54 PM
Gary Griffin enters alone. He's not exactly disguised; instead, he prominently displays his talking board and his fortune-teller's cards.

"Dreaming Dryad? Yes, I have dreamed about this place! Whose fate did I see? Well, get your fortune read and it may help you keep your head!"

Heightened Awareness active (renewed if it expired)

Perception [roll0]

Sense Motive if applicable [roll1]

somethingrandom
2019-08-14, 03:03 AM
Svek does their best to disguise themselves as a halfling(or some other small race that is more common in the area than domites) but will gladly let someone who knows what they are doing take over if they offer. Once inside he keeps an eye out for anything suspicious.

Disguise (taking the -2 for disguise as a different race) [roll0]
Perception [roll]1d20+25[/dice]
Sense Motive[roll]1d20+18[/dice]

somethingrandom
2019-08-14, 03:06 AM
Screwed up the dice code so trying again

Perception[roll0]
Sense Motive[roll1]

Hjolnai
2019-08-14, 04:10 AM
"Captain Keran Fox" wears a bright red tabard with a blue fox expertly stitched onto it. His breastplate cannot easily be seen beneath it. With a stylish false moustache and short-cut wig on his shaven scalp, any other details will not be easily remembered. His stride and gaze display arrogance.

"Good evening. I am told that here is the place to see and be seen in the city - and for my most trusted subordinates to indulge in some well-earned luxuries."

As he speaks, Nicolae attempts to convey the air of a foolish noble playing at mercenary work, rather than a true hardened captain. Best to be underestimated.

"A table and a fine local vintage would be appropriate. And perhaps you can direct some business my way for the right... incentive?"

His movements are clumsy and obvious as he "slips" a fair pile of gold to the elf - thirty gold pieces in full, a clear bribe.

Disguise (spoilered because I'm not supposed to see the result):
[roll0]
(Modifiers +9 normally, +2 disguise kit. If you consider this to only be minor details, a further +5 is warranted.)

Bluff (to pretend to be a fop):
[roll1]

Just Helping
2019-08-14, 10:33 PM
Tena of Lowcleft

Being something of a local, Tena attends on her own. She does not really have much of a reason to disguise herself like the others, so she simply keeps an eye out for anything unusual happening.

She orders a cheap drink, and waits to notice something.

Perception: [roll0]
Sense Motive: [roll1]

CasualViking
2019-08-17, 12:37 AM
Kes palms the gold pieces and smiles. "That can be arranged. This and that." They look over a ledger and rings a small bell. A middle-aged man in a toga appears from a discreet path. "Take these gentlemen to the Babbling Brook, and get them a bottle of the '15 Summer Hill."

The man leads you through a winding path. He brushes some leafy branches, and gestures you into a small clearing. A small stream flows down a rocky incline in the middle, making a pleasant noise, and large pillows are spread out around a low table. As you enter, he leaves, probably to bring the wine.

CasualViking
2019-08-17, 12:45 AM
As the rest of the party dribbles in, they are in turn escorted to the "common room", such as it is. The glade is dimly lit by (illusionary?) sunlight, and further obscured by the sweet smoke emanating from hookahs and pipes at the other tables. There are 10 tables total, half of them occupied, and a central bar, serving both drinks and other refreshments. Soft music sussurates from the (illusory?) treetops.

In the lobby, you notice Kes discreetly telling one of the runners to fetch someone named Honvor.

CasualViking
2019-08-17, 08:56 AM
At the Babbling Brook, the servant returns with a bottle of wine, glasses, and a small bell. After serving the wine, he makes himself scarce.

Soon after, the peace is disturbed by a large, tattooed man entering the glade. A Shoanti barbarian by the looks of him. "I Horvon", he says. "Need warrior. Speak Shoanti? Speak Varisian?"

Hjolnai
2019-08-19, 02:39 AM
Nicolae makes a show of hiding discomfort at the Shoanti's broken Varisian.

"Hail and well met, Horvon. I am Keran Fox, and you'll not find finer fighters than the Blue Fox Company. You look strong yourself; why do you need warriors?"

Snowbluff
2019-08-19, 11:47 AM
"Allen Fairweather" disguised as "Dirk Blacksea of the Blue Foxes." Onion of disguises.

"<Hail,>" Dirk says in Shoanti, giving a short wave. "<I'll translate your response.>"

[roll0]

CasualViking
2019-08-22, 07:47 AM
At the babbling brook:

Horvon seems very relieved to find someone speaking shoanti. He is also very wound up, as if scared of something.

"Tomorrow evening, we meet with a <chief of city-dwellers>. To do a trade. I need you to attack me and my brothers. Blood must be drawn, but no killing - we will flee. Can you do this thing?", he asks.

CasualViking
2019-08-22, 07:53 AM
Meanwhile, in the common room.

In front of Svek, the air shimmers , a steel grey circle appears, and a cat-sized creature pops into existence, hovering above the table.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/_/rsrc/1474177086726/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/inevitable/inevitable-arbiter/Arbiter5686.png?height=400&width=275

"You seek to retrieve designate:"Marcella Vanderal", correct? This unit is tasked to assist in that endeavour" it says in a tinny voice, somewhat reminiscent of a child playing with an armored helmet.

Hjolnai
2019-08-24, 04:54 AM
As Allen/Dirk translates, Nicolae thinks quickly. Then he opens his mouth, and is Keran once again.

"Perhaps my company can help, but I need to know more. Do we need to convince your client - your boss - that you were forced to flee, or only this city-chief?

Oh, and speaking of the chief - is he a Chelaxian, from the land of devils? Perhaps I know him. That would make this much easier."

CasualViking
2019-08-24, 11:39 PM
Horvon

"The shaman of the Key-God will be there to witness what happens. As long as you draw blood on me and mine, all will be well".

Hjolnai
2019-08-26, 03:18 AM
"I think we can do this, but I will need more detail to be sure."

Once 'Dirk' has finished translating that sentence, 'Keran' slows his speech to make it easier for the Shoanti to understand. As he speaks, he looks Horvon in the eye, points to a map, a clock, and then at Horvon himself.

"Where, what time, and how many?"

kinem
2019-08-26, 08:17 PM
Gary is startled by the sudden appearance of the one-eyed creature, and its unexpected knowledge of the situation.

Is this a trap to expose us? And what is that?

ooc: Knowledge (planes) [roll0], (arcana) [roll1]

He walks over to Svek's table.

"You have drawn my curiosity, unit."

CasualViking
2019-08-27, 12:36 PM
Horvon points to the temple of Abadar, and indicated evening bell tomorrow.

"Six of us. But only two in the room, four outside. The key-god's shaman. The noble and his guards."

CasualViking
2019-08-27, 12:41 PM
The thing is an Inevitable, an outsider aligned to Law. The specific model is an Arbiter, a scout and observer, most often found as the familiar of a spellcaster.

"Do you seek to retrieve?" it repeats. A few heads lazily turn in your direction.

Hjolnai
2019-08-28, 02:54 AM
"Very well. My company can do this. Now comes the question of why we should. What do you have to offer?"

'Keran' gives 'Dirk' a careful look, hoping he won't object and spoil the ruse. After all, Nicolae has claimed no leadership position in the real group, to accept unilaterally.

Snowbluff
2019-08-28, 06:40 PM
"Allen Fairweather" disguised as "Dirk Blacksea of the Blue Foxes." Onion of disguises.

Dirk doesn't protest. Mostly because Allen is super interesed in what's happening with this ambush.

CasualViking
2019-08-29, 12:29 AM
Horvon looks uncomfortable. "I will give you two strong, war-trained horses. Better than any you will find in the city".

The Shoanti are known to breed good horses.

Hjolnai
2019-08-29, 04:11 AM
"Ah, horses! The Shoanti really do have the best horses, don't they? But I am a poor rider, and it would be a shame to sell such fine beasts for mere coin. Perhaps... Perhaps instead you could indulge my curiosity. You see, I am a collector of sorts. To me, secrets have a value all of their own, and I find myself unable to resist the secret of your little task. I could be persuaded to forgo payment, if I can truly understand this mystery."

Nicolae is definitely being deceitful here (pretending the secret is worthwhile for its own sake, and not for future use), so it's time for a bluff check.

[roll0]

CasualViking
2019-08-29, 11:17 PM
Horvon flinches and blink. He sighs deeply.

"It is quite a secret, and one that puts the lives of me and mine in grave danger. But I would rather part with it than with Flicker and Wind Breaker. But I have no use for maybe and might. If you want my secret, you will take it as payment in full and swear to me that you will do this thing."

Horvon leans back and crosses his arms.

Hjolnai
2019-08-31, 07:54 AM
"Keran" sighs.

"My wife is going to kill me, but I simply must know."

He takes out a dagger.

"Traditionally a blood oath should be the palm, but that would rather interfere with the task. I swear that if you give a full and true account of the secret we discussed, then the Blue Fox Company shall attack you at the exchange. I shall try to avoid inflicting serious injury, but nonetheless draw blood. This is the whole of the bargain, and I will neither ask nor pay any further price. Will that satisfy you?"

The apparent noble places the knife at his forearm, ready to cut.

CasualViking
2019-09-01, 04:27 AM
Horvon presents his bare forearm as well.

After the formalities,he starts out.

"I work for a monster. Not an evil man, but a monster. Very powerful. Now. The boss kidnapped a girl. Turned her to stone. He wants us to exchange the statue with a chief of this city tomorrow evening. The chief will make an oath on paper, the shaman of the key-god will witness it.

Problem, though. After we showed the statue - the girl - to her father, there was an accident. We can no longer do the trade. If I tell the boss, me and my men are all dead. But if the trade were to be attacked, well.... no fault of mine."

kinem
2019-09-01, 07:38 PM
The thing is an Inevitable, an outsider aligned to Law. The specific model is an Arbiter, a scout and observer, most often found as the familiar of a spellcaster.

"Do you seek to retrieve?" it repeats. A few heads lazily turn in your direction.

Gary waits a moment for Svek to react but the 'halfling' didn't say anything yet so …

"Sure, why not, if that's what it takes to get your attention. Let's retrieve!"

Snowbluff
2019-09-02, 06:39 PM

"This is a fascinating proposal, however" Dirk says before continues in Shoanti, "I do have a proposal that might better repair your reputation. You said that this statue was damaged. Perhaps with the resources and contacts of our company, we may be able to repair it, or at least able able to get it into good enough shape to perform the trade with no one being the wiser. If we could take a look at it, we could see what needs to be done. Of course, we'd have to work quickly."

Bluff, Diplo

[roll0]
[roll1]

Hjolnai
2019-09-03, 04:20 AM
"Keran" puts his hand on "Dirk"'s shoulder. "Whatever you're saying, my friend, keep in mind that I am oath-sworn now. There is no turning back on that course."

CasualViking
2019-09-03, 03:45 PM
At the Babbling Brook

Horvon looks absolutely stunned for a moment. He forces a cagey expression onto his face. "If you can do this thing you say, then bloodshed can be avoided". He sighs deeply. "And a young girl guilty of no wrongdoing can be returned to her family". He rubs his hand across his face and looks levelly at "Dirk".

Hjolnai
2019-09-05, 07:16 AM
Nicolae sighs.

"Very well. Dirk, if you believe a repair is possible, we should pursue that course. Horvon, you had best not tell me of your enigmatic employer - unless we return to the original plan."

CasualViking
2019-09-07, 01:31 AM
Meanwhile, in the common room

Across the room, two men enjoying a hookah of pesh and talking softly to each other suddenly shudder, and turn their gazes towards you. Specifically, towards the hovering metallic orb and the people surrounding it.

CasualViking
2019-09-07, 01:33 AM
At the Babbling Brook

"I don't have the broken statue here. My men and I can bring it here", Horvon says.

kinem
2019-09-07, 09:30 AM
Gary notices the men looking at the orb table. Actually I would be shocked if anyone is not staring at us. He continues to wait for the orb to react to his statement.

ooc: +20 Perception so no need to roll.

somethingrandom
2019-09-09, 02:06 AM
ooc:Sorry about not posting for so long it has been a while since I had something to say/do and I accidently forgot about this game for a while. I do want to keep playing though

Svek also does not need to roll to notice with a perception skill of +25

Svek says to Allen telepathically "Two men across the room just shuddered and are watching us now particularly the metal orb next to us."

CasualViking
2019-09-09, 09:36 AM
the common room.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/_/rsrc/1474177086726/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/inevitable/inevitable-arbiter/Arbiter5686.png?height=400&width=275

"Significant Chaotic Energy detected", the orb intones. The two men rise from their chairs, looking not even a little bit like men who have been smoking calming herbs for an hour or two. They also don't look armed, beyond daggers at their sides and a hint of body odor.

Snowbluff
2019-09-09, 11:57 AM
At the Babbling Brook

"Oh, that would work perfectly. I'm sure we would all agree that this should be handled as discretely for ourselves and as safely for those involved," Dirk says sympathetically.

CasualViking
2019-09-15, 02:33 AM
One of the persons of interest, a buck-toothed gentleman, ambles out of his chair as if pulled upright by a rope around his neck, and with a flick of his hand launches a gob of green corrosive. It hits the tiny Inevitable, who responds with a metallic scream as the acid eats away at it.

Battle map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eTVe4f7Ix0bgXceRFuNgbyPrO6E7PlpvyeEQh-Xh9e4/edit?usp=sharing)

We use block initiative; Tena and Gary act before the enemies, but their individual order doesn't matter.

kinem
2019-09-15, 07:22 PM
"What's wrong with you?" Gary demands of the attacking man and the man's partner.

He then steps away from the table so as to give himself room to dodge possible attacks, and casts a spell of his own, targeting the man who shot the acid.

ooc: Blindness, Fort neg DC 18

CasualViking
2019-09-16, 03:04 AM
Gary's spell slides off the man, as though he is either somehow warded, or else very resistant to spells.

Just Helping
2019-09-16, 11:22 AM
Tena of Lowcleft

Tena looks at the man who spat acid, sighing. "My, my. And here I was enjoying this place..." Tena stands, unsheathing her weapons before initiating Fetch's Wrath -- like a reflection in a mirror, Tena instantly teleports in front of the spitting man before striking out at him.

To-Hit: [roll0]
Damage if a hit: [roll1] piercing plus [roll2] electric

If Tena should find her mark, she will also use her Armiger's Mark on the spitter, taunting him.

"I didn't think they allowed beavers in here."

CasualViking
2019-09-17, 03:37 AM
As Tena's blade piercis him, the man stands dumbfounded for a moment. Then, he explodes into a mass of gore and flying limbs - and then the explosion reverses itself, pulling bones and viscera into a new form. Larger, and significantly more monstrous. A serpent-like creature towers over Tena, and tentacles from it's back snap at her with toothy jaws.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2b/db/a3/2bdba387a87c201985361ccb0b8cd36c.png

CasualViking
2019-09-17, 05:17 AM
The serpentine monster is quick, but Tena is far quicker, and not a single blow slips by her swift blades and nimble feet.
Bite [roll0], damage [roll1]
Tail slap [roll2], damage [roll3], grab [roll4]
Tentacle slap [roll5], damage [roll6], Will save DC 19 (supernatural mind-affecting charm)
Tentacle slap [roll7], damage [roll8], Will save DC 19 (supernatural mind-affecting charm).
All damage is magical, chaotic and silver.

CasualViking
2019-09-17, 05:37 AM
Tena's will save: [roll0].
Gary's knowledge checks: [roll1], [roll2]
Tena's knowledge checks: [roll3], [roll4]

CasualViking
2019-09-17, 05:43 AM
The mustachioed man shambles to his feet and regards Tena with a wide smile. She feels a mental assult wash over her, but chooses to step into a reflection where it doesn't affect her.
Tena used Obsidian Sidestep to make a saving throw against a spell-like ability from Pedostache.

Gary Griffin knows something about this thing:

It is a Protean, a chaos-type outsider. Specifically a Nauntet. Its tentacles cause confusion, it can teleport at will, and like all proteans, it can't be restrained or locked into an ineffective shape.
Tena's Obsidian Sidestep: [roll0]

The tiny inevitable decides that hiding behind Gary is the wisest course of action.

kinem
2019-09-17, 08:38 PM
His mind racing, Gary indicates the way deeper into the facility and tells the little construct "Go that way and seek armed men, say Gary needs immediate backup."

It's no time to hold back so Gary tries a mental assault on the Protean.

OOC:
Mind Thrust III; [roll0] vs SR 18
damage [roll1]; Will half DC 20
Also use 1 Pool Point to gain +2 insight to AC for 3 rounds

Just Helping
2019-09-22, 02:02 PM
Tena of Lowcleft

Tena takes a deep breath to center herself, assuming a Defensive Focus to see how these two will attack. Recalling how her maneuvers effected them earlier, Tena is ready to use them again if needed.

CasualViking
2019-09-24, 04:36 AM
The tentacled monstrosity once more tries to molest Tena.

Bite [roll0], damage [roll1]
Tail [roll2], damage [roll3], grab [roll4]
Tentacle [roll5], damage [roll6]
Tentacle [roll7], damage [roll8]

CasualViking
2019-09-24, 04:49 AM
The other man tries to approach Gary.

He provokes an AoO from Tena as he moves from P12 to P11

Just Helping
2019-09-24, 10:39 AM
Tena slashes out at the mustached man as he tries to sneak past her.

To-hit / Critical Confirmation If Needed:
[roll0]
[roll1] crit

Damage / Crit Damage If Needed
[roll2] P plus [roll3] electric
[roll4] crit P damage

25 to-hit AC for 19 P and 2 electric damage.

CasualViking
2019-09-24, 11:32 AM
The wounded man quickly shambles onward, reaching out to touch gary with his bare hands...

[roll0].

Will save DC 16, Supernatural, not mind-affecting.

kinem
2019-09-26, 10:01 PM
Damn! What now? Gary barely manages to shake off whatever innate magic the probably-not-a-man used on him.

He steps away from the man and tries the same kind of mental assault he'd used on the protean.

ooc: Assuming that Gary can make a 5' step to avoid AOO. If not, I'll reconsider the actions.

Mind Thrust III; (if applicable) [roll0] vs SR
damage [roll1]; Will half DC 20