PDA

View Full Version : Warrington Woes

Kyroswolf
2007-10-08, 09:13 PM
Nothing has been heard from Wistendale for two months. The reserves supply of minerals is below ½ it’s usual level and the King is worried. He has sent out a call for volunteers among his soldiers, citizens, and visitors from other nations.

You now stand in the antechamber of King Barnabas I. He is a young king, only 16 years of age. Despite that, it is said he has wisdom beyond his years. He keeps several members of Arcanan on staff as advisors, but he rarely calls on their services. He rarely acts without thought and contemplation. Many ridiculed him for not sending out a detail to Wistendale sooner, and truth be told, only the mineral reserve dropping below 50% convinced him to call this expedition.

The antechamber is rather large. To the east is the door leading back to the castle entrance. To the west are the great double doors leading to the throne room. A pair of the king’s personal guard flanks the doors.

Chosen from The Guardsmen, these to are truly specimens of strength. They stand rock steady as statues. Mighty halberds held in their right hands, longswords hang at their left hip, and bucklers baring the Kings crest are strapped to their left arm. They wear a breastplate, also baring the Kings Crest, over the finest mithral chain mail. These soldiers know only devotion to the King and are forbidden to ever leave the castle so long as they are in the King’s service.

It is approximately 15 minutes until the appointed time King Barnabas is to present the details of his task to you. The courtier that brought you this far stands to one side awaiting any small questions you may have. His last statements were brief instructions on your audience with the King. “Remember walk straight and stand proud as you enter the Throne Room and approach the King. Stop when you reach the base of the throne and kneel. Don’t rise again until you have been addressed. If you have any questions I will answer them after your audience. Now just mingle and please don’t wander off.”

Toliudar
2007-10-08, 10:45 PM
Ten Foot Stu

Stu felt naked without his glaive. They trust me to protect them, to hunt and kill their enemies, but not to have a weapon near their king.

The courtier's words made no impact on the grim-faced orc, whose jaw was already set with tension in the hoity-toity surroundings. Of course I will keep my back straight. Kneeling? Well, we'll see what the royal whelp is like. He couldn't quite shake the feeling that everything he tried to touch would shatter in his fist.

Stu glanced over at his five companions. A man, three elves, and a half-breed. Huh. With care, he kept his lip from curling, and managed a smile at Atherin, the elf who had brought him in on this job.

Stepping carefully over to the human, he sized him up. A good, steady eye. This one, I might be able to trust beside me. The massive orc extended a hand slowly in greeting.

Stu.

Kellus
2007-10-08, 10:52 PM
Fantastic Felix

A young man stands in the middle of the antechamber, grinning broadly. He pulls his hands out of the pockets of a green vest to ruffle his dusty blonde hair, looking around the room.

He smiles. "All this must have cost a pretty penny," he remarks casually to nobody in particular, "nice place, this."

He grins, and saunters over to the king's personal guard. Propping himself up against the wall, he turns to the nearest guardsman. "Nice place you got here! How long you been in the guard, anyway?"

Gather Information check to learn a bit about the guardsman.

[roll0]

Naleh
2007-10-09, 01:08 AM
Atherin

The golden-haired young elf stands in the centre of the antechamber, looking quite out-of-place in the setting of stone. He is about five-and-a-half feet tall, and slim. His face is shapely and regal, like all elves, and his movements are precise and graceful. He wears light, well-worn clothing of forest greens and browns; a mithral chain shirt glints from beneath. He wears a belt pouch, but no backpack, and two simple rings adorn his fingers. An arrow-quiver, empty in the near-presence of a king, is on his right leg. A large circle of thick, scratched leather is strapped over his left shoulder.

Atherin grins and nods encouragingly at Stu, then introduces himself to the other four. "Hey. I'm Atherin of the Roaming Guard," he says, looking at each in turn.

Kyroswolf
2007-10-09, 08:31 AM
Upon Felix's greeting the Royal Guardsman stands straight and proud. He neither acknowledges Felix's presence or answers his question. The courtier hurries over to Felix. "I would not speak to them. They are not allowed to take any action outside of their guard duties when on station. If you can catch one off duty, they will usually be friendly enough." The courtier remains with Felix. He is obviously anxious for Felix to leave the Royal Guardsman be.

Ghal Marak
2007-10-09, 12:17 PM
Strennr

Standing there by himself was a bald elf swathed in the vestments of the elf god. Around his waist he wore a wide belt, and around his neck hung a small amulet shaped as a shield. Attached to his wrist was a holy symbol of Corellon Larethian made of silver. He looked like most of his kind did, short and lanky as he would describe it. However, he didn't quite seem as proud as other elves. He showed no emotions, his face set in a mask of perfect neutrality. He turned to the other elf that greeted him. He looked Atherin over, then turned back to face the doors to the throne room. "...Strennr."

Freshmeat
2007-10-09, 12:38 PM
Iriades Mon'd'atall

Bordering on the verge of nonchalance, the tall elf at the side of the antechamber wipes some dust from his sleeves. To those inspecting him closely, it seems almost as if it was his intention to turn the minor gesture into a theatrical move, one whose sole purpose was to convey a 'can-do' attitude. Despite, or - as the cliché goes - perhaps because of the unspoken message of 'willing to get his hands dirty', the man appears oddly at ease in this luxurious environment.
When his gaze meets that of the courtier, he actually gives him a friendly nod, hinting at the fact that this wasn't the first time he had seen the man.

Upon closer inspection, one can see that several wrinkles run across his face, and while he has the look of an experienced combatant, it's not entirely clear whether his forté lies in physical or magical prowess.
With a mixture of patience, perhaps even apathy, the elf calmly waits, spending his time with making some last-minute changes to his appearance. Clad in a beautiful robe where shades of gray, light blue and white converge and disperse in a rather showy manner, it wouldn't be hard to mistake him for one of the king's advisors.
As the others begin to introduce themselves, he shifts his attention from his clothes to the rest, and for a moment it seems as if a few sparkles fly from his fingertips as he does so.

With another friendly nod, he stretches out his right hand to meet that of Stu, involuntarily (?) exposing the Arcanan symbol on his own right forearm, before speaking up in a firm, though kind-hearted voice.

"Iriades Mon'd'atall."

Sepp
2007-10-09, 03:45 PM
Jas Norn

Jas Norn looks around the room slowly, taking in every detail without appearing to be overawed. His plate has a dull gleam, the darkened steel only partially reflecting the sunlight. He left shoulder is adorned with the painted insignia of the Roaming Guard, and his cloak bears the Warrington insignia.

His well built frame easily supports his armors weight, and his clean cut face is boyishly handsome, his young age still visible, though he also has the aura of command about him.

After his survey of the room, he turns his attention to his fellow volunteers, noting their apparel and appearance, drawing his conclusions. He gives a slight nod to the burly half orc, then speaks to the group at large. "Jas Norn, of the Roaming Guard."

Kellus
2007-10-09, 06:25 PM
Fantastic Felix

Turning adroitly from the silent guard, Felix joins in the introductions with a grin.

"The name's Felix," he says good-naturedly. "This is going to be fun!"

Kyroswolf
2007-10-09, 09:19 PM
The courtier summons your attention, “AHEM!! We will now enter the throne room. Remember your instructions.” The large wooden doors open of their own accord. The courtier ushers each of you in front of him and then he follows you into the throne room.

The throne room is large and spacious. It could easily hold 100 people and leave room for larger creatures. A red carpet runs down the center of the room from the door to the foot of the raised throne. The King sits upon his throne looking calm, but worried as you enter the throne room. He has high cheekbones with a long face. As he turns his head to scan over each of your group, you all notice that his ears have a slight point to them. To his left stands a Captain of the Roaming Guard. He is a human of average stature, his hair is graying at the temples, and his skin is aged and bronzed from many long hours in the sun. The courtier that was with you in the antechamber passes you and stands to the King’s right. After you have all reached the throne, the King rises and addresses each of you.

“Welcome Atherin. Welcome Felix. Welcome Jas Norn. Welcome Sturgok. Welcome Strennr Ozemu. Welcome Iriades Mon’d’atall. Everything that is spoken now shall not be repeated in the presents of anyone not here today.

I am placing the very future of Warrington in your hands. It is a kingdom built on trade. Our most key resources are the minerals mined from the mountains beyond Wistendale. It is what makes it possible for us to exist. The only nation that relies more on these minerals would be Wistendale itself.

Nothing has been heard from Wistendale for 2 months. The Roaming Guard reports that the last caravan sent to Wistendale passed their outpost on schedule. Since then nothing returned up the road. The only change reported has been an orange glow that can be seen on the horizon at night. Each returning patrol for the past month has reported this glow, and it has been growing brighter as of late.

You will travel with a Roaming Guard patrol as far as the outpost. This is a one-week journey for most trade caravans. Our patrols usually make it in 3 days, but we expect it to take 4 days, since not all hear are accomplished riders. From the outpost to Wistendale is normally another week for trade caravans. I do not know how long it will take you to travel that distance.

You leave at dusk tonight. Captain Edon is the commander of the Roaming Guard patrol that will accompany you. They will remain at the outpost for their assigned week, then return to Warrington. They will be replaced by Captain Manning’s patrol. If none of you return with Manning’s patrol, I will consider you expedition a loss and complete failure.

That must not happen. We need to know what is happening in or what happened to Wistendale. Captain Edon and Warren will remain to answer any questions you have. May Heironeous guide your blades and return all of you to us whole.”

With that the King rises and exits through a hidden door to the right of the throne. As the door opens you notice two older humans are waiting and join the King as he exits. The courtier, he is obviously Warren, steps forward, “Captain Edon’s patrol leaves in 2 hours. You will be provided mounts, if you do not have them, as well as supplies and pack animals. Do you have any specific questions?”

Captain Edon has remained silent, but has been eying each of you during the King and Warren’s statements. The look on his face appears to be one of disappointment.

Ghal Marak
2007-10-09, 09:44 PM
Strennr

Strennr cleared his throat and stepped forward. "Yes... I have a question. Do you think we have a chance? At discovering the problem and coming back alive, that is." Strennr politely waited for Warren to answer, keeping his eyes on Warren's.

Kyroswolf
2007-10-09, 09:58 PM
Warren stutters as he tries to reply, "Well, I haven't.....I am not.....Captain Edon?"

Edon looks upon Warren with disgust before replying to Stennr's question. "We will know more when we reach the Outpost. The captain of the current patrol will provide us with any new information. We know that the orange glow on the horizon has been growing brighter, and no one has come down the road from Wistendale for the past month. But to answer you question. Yes you have a chance of succeeding. There is always the chance of success. I helped to chose this team. While not all my recommendations were taken to heart," he glances at Stu and Felix, "you were chosen for the way your skills compliment each other. You will succeed. You must."

Ghal Marak
2007-10-09, 10:15 PM
Strennr

"Ah, thank you Captain Edon." Stennr gave a polite bow and stepped back to his original position.

Toliudar
2007-10-10, 12:44 AM
Stu

Remaining stiffly at attention throughout the audience with the king, Stu is impressed. Against his best intentions, he is taken with the frank manner and candour of this young king.

The question period begins. The orc's deep voice rumbles out tersely.

Captain, what if this mission takes more than a week. Do you have a way for us to report progress in the middle of the assignment?

Kyroswolf
2007-10-10, 10:20 PM
"Your supplies will include two Scrolls of Sending. Please use these to report to Warren any thing of immediate interest. If there are no more questions, please finish any business you have in town and meet me at the Western Gate. Your mounts and supplies will be there. You can pick up your weapons as you leave."

As the sun reaches midday you set out for Wistendale. You are accompanied by Captain Edon's Roaming Guard squad. An elven rider goes ahead of the party and soon disappears around a bend in the road. There are also two other humans, a halfling, and a gnome. An hour later the elf returns, "Nothing unusual. Road appears to be clear." One of the humans then rides ahead and the elf takes his place.

This pattern continues for the next 4 days. Your nights are uneventful except for a skunk wandering into camp at dawn of the 3rd day. There are no casualties, unless you count the gnome, who took a full blast and now rides well downwind of the group.

A few hours before sundown on the on the fourth day you catch sight of the Roaming Guard Outpost on the horizon. A rider approaches accompanied by the halfling from your patrol. "Captain Edon, good to see you." "Captain Ridley, the king has sent these to venture to Wistendale." As Ridley surveys each of you he speaks, "So the King is finally sending someone to Wistendale. I do not envy you. What I have seen this past week worries me. Come I will show you.” He leads you to the Outpost. It consists of two Towers straddling the road, as well as an alternating gate, which forces anyone on the road to zigzag as they go through. You can see a Roaming Guard in each tower. Their attention is on the road to Wistendale, but each gives your group the once over as you approach. A halfling opens the door to a barracks building on the north side of the road as you approach. A tie post is outside, but no corral is obvious.

Captain Ridley leads you into the barracks. It is a large one-room building approximately 10 x 20 ft. You enter into a common room area that is connected to a kitchen area on one side and a bunks area on the other. The common room also has a map table, which is wear Ridley leads you.

The map displays topography from Warrington to Wistendale. The trade road and Roaming Guard Outpost are marked, as is another outpost a little closer to Wistendale. “Normally we receive messengers from the Wistendale outpost,” he indicates the other outpost, “Every patrol since we lost contact has sent a rider, and they always report it deserted. It is still deserted, but Tulkin found something new.” The halfling then speaks up, “I rode to the outpost yesterday and saw a pair of Ettins on this hill to the east of the outpost. They were trying to remain hidden, but in doing so only made themselves more obvious. They must have dragged in the trees to make their blind from a mile away, and didn’t bother to hide the trail.”

Ridley speaks up again. “Ettins are not from this area, so we think they may be connected to what is going on. You may want to start your investigation with them.”

Kellus
2007-10-10, 11:19 PM
Fantastic Felix

Felix tosses off a salute with a lazy grin to Ridley. "Don't worry, cap'n, I'm on the job!"

He turns to the rest of the party. "Okay, so who actually knows anything about Ettins?

Sepp
2007-10-11, 09:16 AM
Jas Norn

"Not much." Jas says in reply to Felix."But they do seem a good place to start our investigation."

Freshmeat
2007-10-11, 10:10 AM
Iriades Mon'd'atall

"I've dealt with Ettins before," Iriades interjects. "To me, they've proven themselves to be nothing but vile, uncivilized monsters. There was this one time where the opposite was actually true, but that's more than fifty years ago, and quite some distance from here too."

The elf rubs his chin for a moment and smiles faintly, seemingly recollecting something.
"Regardless, if there's trouble around here, and this scout is sure he's seen two ettins, it's safe to assume they're related somehow. What bothers me is this though: if they're behind whatever is happening to the caravans, how did they manage to keep it a secret for so long? They're not exactly brilliant strategists, you know."

Sepp
2007-10-11, 10:36 AM
Jas Norn

"Well... either they are smarter then the ones you met, Iria, or they are just the hired muscle of whoever is really behind the situations. Jas says thoughtfully.

Ghal Marak
2007-10-11, 11:39 AM
Strennr

"There's no point in guessing at something that is unlikely. If we want to know more, then we need to go and see it for ourselves." Strennr turned to look at Captain Ridley. "Captain, am I right to assume that the layout of the Wistendale Outpost is the same as this one?"

Toliudar
2007-10-11, 12:56 PM
Stu

Speaking as someone who had been categorized as a vile, uncivilized monster from time to time, the orc stiffens at Iriades' words, but merely continues his examination of the map.

He turns to the halfling, and bows slightly.

You have done good work.

To his companions, he merely nods.

Maybe we can flank them in their blind.

Naleh
2007-10-11, 01:13 PM
((Sorry I'm late.))

Atherin

Atherin has two other animals along with with his horse: a large white dog, which is tied up with his horse; and a brown hawk sitting on his shoulder, explaining the need for the piece of scratched leather. The hawk is not as afraid of people as it should be, and watches the others with strangely intelligent eyes.

"I know a fair bit about Ettins, and I'm surprised that they've seen two. They're usually alone... Maybe these are a mated pair? Er, quadruplet?" Atherin shrugs. "As for how they've kept it secret, well. They have good senses - two heads, you know - so they can probably tell when someone's coming, and do something about it."

Kyroswolf
2007-10-11, 01:52 PM
"Yes, the other outpost is a mirror image of this one. And your friend is right, Ettins are hard to sneak up on. May I suggest a diversion?"

Freshmeat
2007-10-11, 01:56 PM
Iriades Mon'd'atall

"By all means, good man," Iriades replies while making a casual, inviting gesture.

Kyroswolf
2007-10-11, 02:25 PM
"When you go to investigate I'll ride to the Wistendale Outpost. I will snoop and poke around as much as I can. That should keep their attention. I won't be able to stay long as my patrol must ride back to Warrington this evening, and I will need to arrive with them. But I should be albe to give you 30 minutes or so."

Toliudar
2007-10-11, 02:43 PM
Stu

Stu nods at the plan as laid out. They would see if these elves were as stealthy as his past companions.

Sepp
2007-10-11, 02:44 PM
Jas Norn

"That sounds reasonable enough, and with luck, thirty minutes shall be long enough. You will, of course, be very careful in dealing with these creatures. We would not have a death over this." Jas says.

Kyroswolf
2007-10-11, 02:59 PM
"If they make any move to attack me, I will leave immediately. I doubt they can catch my stead." Ridley looks quite proud as he mentions his mount.

Freshmeat
2007-10-11, 03:17 PM
Iriades Mon'd'atall

"Few men would sooner take pride in their mount's capability of flight, hippogriph puns notwithstanding, than in their own tenacity in combat. There is a certain wisdom in that, a presence of mind, that I deeply respect."

Iriades looks away for a moment, as if thinking on something, but soon turns his gaze back on captain Ridley, and smiles.
"Of course, I'm by no means advocating cowardice here, nor even suggesting that it has any bearing on you in any way - but I digress. The plan you've put forward should be more than adequate. If these ettins are involved with the missing caravans, you can be sure we'll get to the bottom of this."

Kellus
2007-10-11, 10:22 PM
Fantastic Felix

Felix smiles. "Sounds like a plan to me." He shrugs slightly. "And if something goes awry, I'm sure we can improvise."

He pauses a second, before adding, "How bad could Ettins be, right?"

Kyroswolf
2007-10-11, 10:30 PM
"I'll be outside. Set out when your ready. Captain Edon and myself have to see to the changing of the guard. Once that is done I'll be free to assist you. I won't ride with you as Charger is often unkind to those he is not accustomed to. When I see you head out I'll wait half an hour then follow. That should give you time to set up. Best of luck to you."

With that Captains Ridley and Edon exit the building. Tulkin has wandered over to a bundle that he appears to be packing for the return trip to Warrington.

Toliudar
2007-10-12, 12:57 AM
Stu

Turning to the others, Stu almost smiles. He walks to examine the map, especially the hill where the halfling had shown the ettins.

Right. How'd we want to do this ambush? Try to head around behind the hill here, or maybe use some kind of trickery on them?

Kyroswolf
2007-10-12, 08:43 AM
Upon examining the map you see that the spot where the blind is marked is approximately 20 feet downhill from the crest (Elevation 400 ft). It is a light downgrade from the crest to the blind and another 10 feet in front of it, but then the grade sharpens quickly dropping 200 ft before changing to a gentle downgrade to the road. The other sides of the hill rise offer a gentle rise to the crest. The wood line stops about half way up the hill, and the map shows no cover from that point to the top.

Sepp
2007-10-12, 09:33 AM
Jas Norn

Jas studies the map alongside Stu."The blind is well positioned... two steep for any frontal assault, and the lack of trees on the other side means no cover for anyone approaching. Still, if we can get Ridley to make some commotion at the base of this incline, we may be able to maneuver up the other side unobserved, despite the lack of trees." He glances at Stu, waiting to hear his thoughts. "And maybe the mages have a trick or two to aid us in being subtle?" He adds.

Naleh
2007-10-12, 04:03 PM
Atherin

The ranger frowns. "I can't make us invisible or anything. We're heading out today, of course? Then I can't help with stealth. I've never needed magic for that." He shrugs. "If we were waiting until tomorrow, I could make some fake sounds, to help with the distraction. But our other mages could probably do better, sooner."

Ghal Marak
2007-10-12, 06:06 PM
Strennr

Strennr crossed his arms. "I cannot help us remain unseen, but I can make us undetectable by sound. Though it will take me some time to pray for the appropriate spell." Strennr brushed his hand over the holy symbol at his wrist, then he looked up at Atherin. "I am sure that if we pool our abilities together we can ensure that it would be us who gets the element of surprise and not the Ettins."

Toliudar
2007-10-12, 11:32 PM
Stu

The orc doesn't turn from the map.

I don't know if we want to wait long enough for that, Strennr, but I will if everybody else needs it. Spose we could sneak up to the treeline and pepper em with bowfire, especially if the blind isn't set up to cover all angles.

Anybody know if ettins chuck rocks like some of the giants do? Don't fancy standing downwind of an avalanche.

Kellus
2007-10-12, 11:53 PM
Fantastic Felix

Felix looks thoughtful for a second, and then removes his backpack. Reaching deep into its bowels, he manages to pull out an enormous calling horn.

He grins. "I reckon I could distract 'em a little with this baby! It makes fog, you see. Then they can't see us, right?"

Freshmeat
2007-10-13, 03:58 AM
Iriades Mon'd'atall

"There's a lot of things we can do," Iriades remarks in a stern tone. "Illusions, figment sounds, invisibility spells... Simply creating flashy fireworks never ceases to get the attention of some creatures either."

The elf looks Felix's horn over. "I've seen those before. Quite the useful thing, aren't they? Your plan might just work, actually. While most of the other alternatives are quite effective as well, they're merely of a temporary nature. These ettins will know what's going on once our magical distractions cease to be. Even if we're long gone by then, we've let them know we were there, at one point in time or another.
Sneaking, however - under the cover of what will appear like a natural phenomenon - has slightly more... elegance."

Toliudar
2007-10-14, 11:31 AM
Stu

The big orc nods solemnly.

Even if they don't buy the small fog cloud rolling up the hill, it'll be hard for them to do much against us till we're close.

Kellus
2007-10-14, 11:44 AM
Fantastic Felix

Felix smiles, and stuffs the horn back into his pack.

"Sounds like we have a plan, then! When shall we leave?

Sepp
2007-10-16, 02:38 PM
Jas Norn

"Now works for me." Jas says, checking his blade and bow."I think we are all ready.. or as ready as we can be."

Toliudar
2007-10-16, 02:58 PM
Stu

Right then. Let's go.

Assuming that the fine details could be worked out on the road, Stu turned from the map and strode from the room.

Kyroswolf
2007-10-16, 09:33 PM
As you take to the road on your mounts, with your pack mule in tow, Captain Ridley calls to you, "You'll hear me when I get to the Outpost. If I don't get their attention nothing will." His patrols laughs, as though at a secret joke.

As the sun sets you find yourselves in the forest at the foot of the backside of the hill. You can already hear a large racket coming from the direction of the outpost. Captain Ridley appears to have kept his word.

Toliudar
2007-10-16, 10:49 PM
Stu

The big orc reined in his mount, and slipped his glaive easily into a charging position. He glances back to Felix, and speaks a pair of heavy words.

Show time.

Naleh
2007-10-16, 11:23 PM
Atherin

Atherin grins at Stu, then slips off his mount, tying it to a tree. He points two fingers at his dog, which sits obediently, then looks meaningfully at his hawk. The bird takes flight, fluttering towards the top of the hill.

Atherin quietly straps on a buckler, then retrieves his graceful longbow. He then settles to watch the top of the hill with utmost patience.

Sending the hawk on scouting duty. I can feel her general emotions from a distance of up to a mile, although I can't 'speak' with her.

Kellus
2007-10-16, 11:25 PM
Fantastic Felix

Smiling, Felix whips out the horn. He moves slowly up towards the commotion, and takes a deep breath. Exhaling deeply into the horn, opaque fog seeps out in billows towards the Ettins. A low note escapes the horn, rolling across the hills as the fog creeps forward.

Toliudar
2007-10-17, 01:59 AM
Stu

Bringing his glaive up to avoid pushing it into something unintentionally, Stu leads his skittish horse into the forefront of the cloud, navigating nervously as he can barely see ahead. He speaks softly, in coarse elven.

Felix, you going to be able to steer this thing from within? Or do you have another way to conceal yourself.

Sepp
2007-10-17, 11:45 AM
Jas Norn

Jas ties the pack mules lead rope to a nearby tree and spreads some grain into her feed bag, attaching it to her muzzle. "Don't run off, now." He says, patting her face, then mounts his own horse, and draws his blade. He guides his horse to the front of the group with his knees, and eyes the ridge. "Everyone ready?" He asks, resting the blade on his shoulder.

Guide with knees is a DC5, which I automatically succeed.

Freshmeat
2007-10-17, 12:51 PM
Iriades Mon'd'atall

Sticking close to Kellus, Iriades hastily makes a few last-minute preparations. With what seems little more than a mutter and what could barely pass off as a gesture, he gently touches his brightly-colored robes for a moment.
Almost immediately, they turn dark green, providing some impromptu camouflage in this kind of terrain.

Iriades nods in reply to Jas' question, and promptly begins to cast a second incantation. Judging from his motions, it appears that this one is slightly more complex, though, upon completion, it appears to have no discernible effect.

Prestidigitation & mage armor.

Kellus
2007-10-17, 07:03 PM
Fantastic Felix

Pausing blowing the horn only long enough to acknowledge Stu, Felix gasps out, "Never mind me, I'll just keep the fog coming. You fellows better get your ambush ready!"

And drawing an enormous breath of air he blows heavily into the horn once more, prompting a fresh gout of fog to billow out. The previous breath of fog continues to moves slowly up the rolling hills towards the Ettins.

The fog moves at 10ft. per round. Felix will continue blowing until the Ettins are enveloped, and then run into combat, using the fog to avoid being seen.

Kyroswolf
2007-10-17, 10:19 PM
The billowing fog flows unnaturally in a straight line up the hill. As Felix continues to blow his horn, the fog has nearly reached the crest of the hill. As you near the top you hear speach from 4 voices coming back over the hill, though it sounds as though it is gibberish, and does not appear as though they are alarmed. You also hear loud crashes and bangs, though they are muffled and appear to be coming from the Outpost.

Stu

You recognize some of the words as orcish, but they make no since mixed in with the gibberish.

Toliudar
2007-10-19, 05:46 PM
Stu

The orc mutters to...well, whoever it is next to him.

Huh. They speak orc, but badly.

He peers ahead as he leads his mount cautiously forward in the fog.

Sepp
2007-10-19, 07:16 PM
Jas Norn

Jas, riding beside Stu, nods. He replies, his voice equally low. "Any idea what they are saying?" His eyes search the fog, both hands on his sword, ready...

Kyroswolf
2007-10-19, 10:13 PM
As the billowing fog crests over the hill, you can make out the Ettin's blind through the mists. Two great oak tops have been dragged so that they form a brush pile. Opposite the Outpost from the brush pile stand two hulking giants. Each has two heads, all four of which are focused on the Outpost. There you can just make out a lone figure as it moves between the buildings, very obviously snooping about. You can only assume this is Captain Ridley.

The rest of the blind appears to be a makeshift campsite. Two areas have obviously been slept on, and a firepit has been dug, though it appears to not have been lit for some time.

|
|
Brushpile
E1 E2
|
|
|
|
Hilltop
| J S
|
I A

Approx 100ft back Felix

"......" is the cliff face
| 5ft of distance
Jas and Stu can barely see over the hill and are 25 ft from the Ettins.
Iria and Ath have not yet crested the hill.

Ghal Marak
2007-10-19, 11:52 PM
Strennr

Strennr finished his concentration and moved his hands in the workings of a spell. Visualy, nothing happened, but he seemed more confident than before. Drawing his bow, he quickly followed the others.

Cast Divine Favor.

Freshmeat
2007-10-20, 05:38 AM
Iriades Mon'd'atall

The tall elf quickly follows the rest up the hill, smirking approvingly at the sounds of captain Ridley's diversion.

Toliudar
2007-10-21, 02:46 PM
Stu

The orc will stay with the slowly-moving fog cloud as long as possible, until the ettins' attention is drawn to them.

Continuing forward within the fog, but readying an action if the ettins move from their current or attack us. The action will be to send a curse down on the ettin to his left, enter rage, and do a partial charge/charge on the ettin to his right.

Curse: -2 to attacks, saves, checks and damage, will save 10 to negate

Charge attack (5 points of power attack):

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Damage

AC then becomes 13 until his next action.

Naleh
2007-10-21, 08:49 PM
Atherin

Crouching, Atherin draws a pair of arrows and fits one to his bow. He goes over his spells in his mind, hoping they will be enough for the task ahead.

Kyroswolf
2007-10-21, 09:36 PM
When the fog is approximately 20 ft. from the Ettins, one of the heads looks back over its shoulder. It begins to speak, and appears to be reaching for a club at it's feet, a sudden wave of confusion falls upon it. As it shakes off the nausea, Stu charges forth from the rolling cloud, the blade of his glaive sinking into the back of the Ettin on the right.

OOC:
Initiative Order
Iriades (Mage Armor, Divine Favor)
Stu
Jas
Strennr
Atherin
Ettins (E1:Hex failed, E2:31 dmg)

Map

|
|
Brushpile
|E1 E2
||||Stu
|
|
|
|Jas
|
|Iria Ath
|||Stren

Approx. 100ft back from Strennr: Felix

24hrs to post your next rounds actions. Have fun.

Sepp
2007-10-22, 08:27 AM
Jas Norn

Jas moves to attack the Ettin that Stu is attacking, his blade flashing and his mount kicking.

Moving past Stu to the right of E2, then attacking.
Guide with knees: DC 5, auto succeed
Fight with warhorse: DC 10, auto succeed
Attack (Jas){-1 PA}[roll0]
Damage{+2 PA}[roll1]
Attack (Mount)[roll2]
Damage[roll3]

Kyroswolf
2007-10-22, 08:52 AM
NOTICE MAP EDIT CORRECTION

Since Stu is using a reach weapon this is the correct position.

Map

|
|
Brushpile
|E1_E2
|
||||Stu
|
|
|Jas (Hilltop)
|
|Iria Ath
|||Stren

Approx. 100ft back from Strennr: Felix: unaware combat has started.

Notice the _ between the Ettins, this means they are 5ft apart. Jas may retro edit his above post if he wishes to change his actions. Restarting 24hr counter for first round posts. Felix is not yet aware of combat so has no init order, but will comin under the Ettins as soon as he becomes aware. Iria and Ath need to take at least a 5ft step forward to be able to see over the hill. Stren needs to move at least 10 ft forward to see over the hill.

Freshmeat
2007-10-22, 11:43 AM
Iriades Mon'd'atall

As soon as the Ettin reaches for his weapon, Iriades breaks off into a run towards him, drawing his sword at the same time. Several feet before he reaches his target though, he makes a quick gesture with his hand, and in the timespan of barely a second, a thin ray goes flying straight towards one of the Ettins...

Move action: Move closer (20 ft) while drawing my sword.
Standard action: Ray of Enfeeblement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rayofEnfeeblement.htm), targeting E1.

Ranged touch attack, no save.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Toliudar
2007-10-22, 12:08 PM
Stu

The orc's spirits are buoyed by the thunder of hoofs and the arrival of Jas and his whirling greatsword. He admired the knight's facility on the horse, making the two creatures dance in battle as if they were one, and it reminded Stu all the more of his own limitations.

Then he caught a glimpse of the tip of his own glaive, waving about with a chunk of the ettin's bloodied armour still on it. And he smiled, a feral, open mouthed snarl. And he drove the blade towards the creature again and again.

Reducing power attack to 4 points. Full attack. AC is now 15.

[roll0] Attack 1 with glaive
[roll1] Attack 1 damage
[roll2] Attack 2 with glaive
[roll3] Attack 2 damage

Edit: Stu is a lucky, lucky little orc. If the ettins don't flatten him with their next attack.:smallsmile:

Naleh
2007-10-22, 01:55 PM
Atherin

With the sounds of the starting combat, Atherin steps forwards and drops his bow. He waves his arms mysteriously and speaks an evil-sounding phrase. A thin ray, just like Iriades', leaps from his hand towards the other ettin.

How did Freshmeat know my plan? Is he a psion?
Free Actions: 5-foot step forward, drop bow to free up a hand
Standard Action: Ray of Enfeeblement, targeting E2
Move Action: pick up bow again

[roll0]
[roll1]

Ghal Marak
2007-10-22, 11:17 PM
Strennr

Cresting the hill, Strennr looked down upon the fight. "Hmm..." Nocking an arrow, Strennr took aim at an Ettin and loosed it.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Kyroswolf
2007-10-23, 10:12 AM
As the first Ettin picks up his clubs, the rays from Atherin and Iriades connect sapping the strength from both Ettins. Jas swings wide, but his mount and Stu connect with the second Ettin. It crumbles to the ground with both heads severed. An arrow shot from Strennr's bow goes wide and is lost in the brush pile.

The remaining Ettin goes berserk as it's companion falls and unleashes its fury on Stu, striking him twice with its clubs. (19+18=37 damage, I can't remember if your mounted or not, if so you succeeded in remaining in the saddle.)

MAP

|
|
Brushpile
|E1_E2
|||||||||Jas
||||Stu
|Iria
|
|Stren(Hilltop)
||||||Ath
|
|

Approx. 100ft back from Strennr: Felix: Can now hear the sounds of combat.

24hr countdown for round 2.

Initiative Order
Iriades (Mage Armor)
Stu
Jas
Strennr (Divine Favor 8 rounds left)
Atherin
Ettin

Edit: Corrected Buffs

Freshmeat
2007-10-23, 11:30 AM
Iriades Mon'd'atall

Carefully staying out of the remaining Ettin's reach, the tall elf makes a quick, flashy gesture with his hand while speaking in a tone that is unintellegible to nearly all of his companions. In a flash, tiny dark red spheres seem to appear out of nowhere, spiralling unerringly towards their target...

Missile Magique (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicMissile.htm), sacre bleu!

[roll0]

Toliudar
2007-10-23, 05:50 PM
Stu

Stu's face remains a taut mask of feral glee as his glaive slips under the ettin's guard and neatly severs its left head. Unfortunately, the swing leaves his flank exposed, and the other ettin's club smashes into him. He barely avoids screaming as ribs crack, but he somehow manages to stay in the saddle, silent and determined.

The battle-rage now full upon him, Stu swings back with his glaive, countering the ettin's might with swiftness.

Full attack on the second ettin. Four points of power attack.

[roll0] Attack 1
[roll1] Damage

[roll2] Attack 2
[roll3] Damage

Sepp
2007-10-23, 06:52 PM
Jas Norn

Jas moves along side the Ettin, swinging (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1332524).

Naleh
2007-10-23, 10:44 PM
Atherin

The ranger grins as the ettin collapses. "That was tough!" he says ironically, opening fire on the remaining ettin.

[roll0] (+4 BAB, +5 dex, +1 magic, +1 Point Blank, -2 Rapid)
[roll1] (+1 magic, +1 Point Blank)
[roll2] (+4 BAB, +5 dex, +1 magic, +1 Point Blank, -2 Rapid)
[roll3] (+1 magic, +1 Point Blank)

Kyroswolf
2007-10-24, 09:01 PM
The globes of energy burn through the Ettin's skin. It raises hit clubs over it's head apparently to bring them down on Stu yet again. Stu stabs his glaive repeatedly into the Ettin, firmly sticking the blade in it's chest on his final blow. Jas's blade strikes true, lopping off an arm just as it begins to come down on Stu. Undeterred even more force is placed behind the other club as it comes down. Just before the blow lands, two arrows appear as if by magic in the necks of the Ettin. It's eyes roll back, it's shoulders slacken, and the club lands with only the force of gravity as it bounces off Stu's armor. The Ettins body falls atop the brushpile, Stu's glaive still stuck in it's chest point now to the heavens.

The fog cloud fully encompases the campsite as the battle ends, adding a dreariness to the grizzly scene. As the calm after the storm falls, the distant sound of battle falls upon your ears. It is coming from back over the hill.

Sepp
2007-10-24, 09:16 PM
Jas Norn

Jas wheels his mount about, the warhorse snorting in excitement, but he cannot see through the heavy fog. "Come, Stu! It sounds like we missed some!" He calls, his blade slick with blood as he heads toward the sound.

He moves toward the sound as fast as he can. If still in combat, he has 120 ft of movement as a double move.

Ghal Marak
2007-10-24, 09:20 PM
Strennr

Strennr looked down on the dead bodies of the Ettins. "As I figured, I was of no use to anyone..." Again. He smiled for the first time in a while as the fog rolled in. He found it plesant, like a long rainy day. He then turned to see where the sounds of battle were coming from.

Kyroswolf
2007-10-24, 10:05 PM
Felix: You hear the sounds of battle from the top of the hill end, just before your arrow pierces the hide of the goblin. You then hear Jas's yell and the stumbling sound of hooves as they descend the hill.

Toliudar
2007-10-24, 10:27 PM
Stu

Stu's smile fades slightly as the ettin collapses, yanking his glaive painfully from his hands. The battle-rage wavers, but remains, and dulls the ache from the ettin's blows. He glances over at Strennr and nearly snarls, but catches himself in time. His voice is strained.

You want to help. There are injured here. There may be more with the battle below. Spur your horse on, and follow - quickly!

Seizing his glaive from the dead ettin's chest, he pounds off after Jas.

Kellus
2007-10-24, 11:00 PM
Fantastic Felix

Felix wipes his brow and glances back at the group. He calls out to them with a grin on his face.

"No worries, I've got it under control! Just a little goblin trouble, that's all. Take care of those Ettins, then? That was quick!"

He puts away his bow, and glances down at the goblin body at his feet. Cocking his head, he leans down, grabs its two punching daggers, and tosses them in his backpack.

"Could be handy, I suppose."

Muttering a quick prayer to Obad-Hai for protecting him in the woodlands, he passes a hand over a wound in his side, which quickly heals up.

Initiative at 3/10, having used an Opportunistic Piety to heal up.

Naleh
2007-10-24, 11:12 PM
Atherin

((reaction))

The elf allows himself a moment of jubilation, before relaxing into the pleasant fog.

"Those sounds. Do you think-- Felix!" he finally realises, and he launches himself down the hill. I shouldn't have left Tee and Sae down there, he berates himself, thinking of his horse and dog.

As he runs, he calls, "Aeriaphos!" After a moment his hawk swoops in through the fog to glide beside him. It doesn't do any good, but Atherin seems to draw comfort from the bird's presence.

((now))

Finally reaching the bottom of the hill, Atherin pants, "Thank Solonor that's all it was... Just one goblin?" He frowns. "Doesn't seem... right... after fighting two full-grown and well-prepared ettins. You'd think they would have more defence than a lone goblin."

Ghal Marak
2007-10-24, 11:39 PM
Strennr

Strennr's foul mood returned when he heard Stu's words. Saying nothing, he followed Stu and Jas to the source of the now quieted noise.

Sepp
2007-10-26, 11:49 AM
Jas Norn

Jas reigns his horse up, looking down at the dead goblin. "Well fought, Felix, well fought..."He says, then addresses them all. "I will ride down to check on Captain Ridley and his men, then return. I shan't be gone long, if some of you would check the bodies while I am away."

He walks his mount over to Stu, and lowers his voice. "Your skills are impressive, Stu, indeed the rest of us where hardly needed. Keep an I on them, and get your wounds treated if you can. Stren may be able to help with that."

Jas will wait for any replies or objections, then head back to check on Captain Ridley

Freshmeat
2007-10-26, 01:39 PM
Iriades Mon'd'atall

The old elf joins the rest of the group, barely giving the dead goblin at Felix' feet so much as a glance.

"I agree with Jas. With a bit of luck, we'll find enough clues to find out what's been going on around here lately."

He turns his head a bit sideways to look at Stu. "That was indeed an impressive display of... polearmship. Good to know you're on our side."

Toliudar
2007-10-26, 05:37 PM
Stu

Stu nods quickly to Jas.

Call if you need backup. I'll be here.

He acknowledges Iriades praise with a small nod.

We are a team. Your rays of enfeeblement may have been all that kept me alive. We must work together or perish.

The orc continues looking at the old elf a little longer, and manages a small smile. He looks over at Felix, the elf's capability rising in the orc's eyes.

Was there just one? It is unusual for goblins to work alone. And have you searched it for other signs of its purpose.

Unless Felix assures him that the body has been cleared, Stu will dismount quickly, bury the butt of his glaive in the stony ground, and roughly go over the goblin's body, laying anything of note out on the ground for all to see.

Ghal Marak
2007-10-26, 10:38 PM
Strennr

Strennr looked down at the dead goblin, then back up at the assembled group. "...Goblins... disgusting wretches." He then crossed his arms and closed his eyes, contemplating the events so far.

Kyroswolf
2007-10-28, 10:46 PM
To those around the Goblin:

You see no signs of anyone or anything in the vicinity. Stu's search of the body turns finds only some half eaten rations and a rolled up parchment.

Jas:

As the outpost comes into view around the hill you catch a glimpse of Captain Ridley heading back toward Warrington on a rather large wolf. It moves with unnatural speed as it quickly disappears beyond the horizon. It is quickly obvious of the nature of Ridley's "distraction." The entire outpost has been ransacked. The towers are still standing, but enough damage has been done that you doubt they will stand long. The windows of the building are broken and the doors are hanging from the hinges. A determined defender could hold off an attack, but the lose of the towers greatly reduces it's military value.

Toliudar
2007-10-29, 09:17 AM
Stu

The orc holds up the parchment without looking at it.

Anybody read goblin?

Wait, I'm not understanding something. Ridley ransacked his OWN outpost? Whose outpost was it, again?

Sepp
2007-10-29, 11:22 AM
Jas Norn

Jas circles the outpost twice, looking for anything useful, his face showing his surprise at Ridleys actions, though he understands them. Still, it is not the choice he would have made, if he was in charge. Completing his survey, he heads back up the hill.

"Captain Ridley has denied the enemy use of the outpost. It's pretty much a shell now, likely to keep anyone among our foes from using it. I see why he did, but I would not want to have to explain his decision to the king." He looks contemplative for a moment. "So, what did they have on them? Supplies, weapons, orders, anything to tell us where they came from?"

Toliudar
2007-10-29, 11:52 AM
Stu

Seeing Jas return up the hill, Stu hands the parchment to Felix.

Anything useful there?

He then goes to stand directly in front of Strennr, and will eventually tap the contemplative elf on the shoulder.

Hey in there! What does Corellon Larethion -

He uses the correct elven pronunciation of the god's name.

Say about keeping yer warriors alive?

He points to his cracked ribs.

Kyroswolf
2007-10-29, 11:55 AM
As you open the parchment it reveals a map of the area. On the back is a note scribbled in Common, Orc, and other languages. They all appear to be the same length and there is a wax seal at the bottom of page. The seal looks similar to the the symbol of Arcana, but is far more complex.

Map

http://www.integrity.com/homes/cedwards1/map.JPG

Note

Wistendale is ours. Meet us in march and your reward will be great. Deny us and our revenge will be swift.

Kellus
2007-10-29, 08:56 PM
Fantastic Felix

Felix looks taken aback at the map and note.

"Well, it looks like we know a bit more about what happened to Wistendale. I guess whoever the goblin was working for is there."

He frowns a bit, then shrugs, a grin blossoming on his face. "So, when do we leave?"

Ghal Marak
2007-10-29, 11:42 PM
Strennr

Strennr opened his eyes and looked at Stu without expresion. "...Corellon Latherion stresses the care of Elven warriors, not orc." He then uncrossed his arms and stroked his chin in thought. "But I guess he would make an exception to a tame orc." Strennr placed a hand on Stu's chest and closed his eyes. His holy symbol glowed briefly as his cureative magic coursed through Stu. Taking his hand off Stu and oppening his eyes, he look over Stu to see the results. "..Is that better, or do you require more?"

Cast Cure Serious Wounds, loosing Searing Light to do so
[roll0]

Toliudar
2007-10-30, 07:07 AM
Stu

Stu's face remains expressionless as he is called a tame orc.

Stu breathes deeply as his ribs knit together, then winces a bit as he notices some of the remaining pain.

A bit more...would be helpful.

Sepp
2007-10-30, 09:14 AM
Jas Norn

"The ettins where already searched, correct? This note and map was all that was found?" Jas asks, studying them with a frown. He looks at the darkening sky, then sighs. "To late to travel tonight; if you are wounded, see Stennr; if not, head to the outpost. These corpses will attract scavengers, and we don't want to camp near them. Night travel is to risky; and I want are healers and mages fully prepared. Objections, anyone?"

See post 44 for the fact that it is night.

Naleh
2007-10-30, 01:26 PM
Atherin

The ranger steps forward, glaring. "Please, don't talk about Sturgok that way," he says to Strennr. "He's not an animal. He's as smart as you or I! Would Corellon Latherion have us treat dwarves such a way? Or halflings? We're not superior just because we live longer."

Toliudar
2007-10-30, 02:12 PM
Stu

Stu turns slowly, his face still impassive, and nods appreciatively to Atherin. He then turns back to Strennr, waiting.

Kellus
2007-10-30, 06:36 PM
Fantastic Felix

Oblivious to the tension, Felix glances at the outpost. "Well, it's better than nothing, I suppose. Alright, let's go. We'll leave in the morning."

Sepp
2007-10-30, 06:53 PM
Jas Norn

Jas watches the three, not quiet sure what has caused the tension, but he speaks to Felix. "You have the first two hours of watch, I'll take the rest myself."

Ghal Marak
2007-10-30, 07:05 PM
Strennr

A look of annoyance quickly flashed over his face, but he imedeately regained his composure. "As you wish. I will not be so... beligerent. " He once again placed his hand on Stu and channled his healing magic through him.

Dropped Silence to cast Cure Moderate Wounds
[roll0]

For the DM: My current spell selection looks like this:
0th- Guidance, Detect Magic, Light, Create Water, Detect Poison
1st- Command, Obscuring Mist, Bless
2nd- Aid, Shatter
3rd- Magic Vestment

Toliudar
2007-10-30, 07:34 PM
Stu

Stu flexes his shoulders and grunts in approval. He speaks quickly and dispassionately.

May the Life Shaper bless your eyes and your bow.

Stepping away from Strennr, Stu mounts up and waits for Atherin to do the same before heading out towards the ruined outpost. His only comment to Atherin, along the way, is:

Nice shot, with that spell.

At the ruins, he busies himself in setting up a cooking fire, and then in cleaning his polearm.

Is Ridley still at the outpost, or have they evacuated?

Sepp
2007-10-30, 08:12 PM
Jas Norn

As they prepare camp, Jas considers asking what the confrontition he walked into between the half orc and the elves was about, but decides not to. "To bad Ridley and his men left before we returned, I would have liked to send a message with them." He says, leaning on one damaged wall, watching the horses and pack mule graze.

Kyroswolf
2007-10-30, 09:00 PM
The towers are unstable as the supports have been hacked to the point of near breaking. A less observant person might not notice that the towers can't support weight without some repair. The barracks building no longer has windows and the door is off it's hinges, but the roof is intact. You can see a mile down the road in either direction before it turns out of sight behind a hill.

Looking up at the hill you can see clearly the drag marks from where the tops were brought in to make the blind, which sticks out like a sore thumb.

OOC: Yall can roleplay as much as you want at this point. Let me know your watch order. Will yall rest just long enough for the spell casters to recoup spells, or continue on at first light (Haven't lost many spells).

Casters can either pm me prepared spells or update their sheets.

Kellus
2007-10-30, 09:29 PM
Felix

Dropping his backpack, Felix digs out a bedroll and a small tin box. Turning first to the box, he opens it to pull out a wrapped parcel of food. Chewing heavily, he turns to the rest of the group.

He smiles. "If you guys want some slumber, I'll certainly take the first watch. I wouldn't mind some time to think, anyhow."

Gazing at the ruined outpost, his smile fades slightly. "Why does the answer always have to be to destroy," he mutters to himself.

He looks heavily at his pack on the ground, as if the will to lift it has deserted him. Sighing, he grabs the pack, wrestles his bow and quiver out of it, and moves to the edge of the outpost.

Toliudar
2007-10-31, 12:14 AM
Stu

Warming himself by the fire in the ruins, Stu shrugs.

Wake me if you need someone to help guard. I'm no great shakes as a watchdog, but at least I see in the dark.

Gnawing on some jerky, Stu settles into a bedroll against the ruined wall of the tower for the night.

Freshmeat
2007-10-31, 08:02 AM
Iriades Mon'd'atall

The elf decides to ignore the dicussion between Strennr, Stru and Atherin, which apparently ended almost as soon as it had appeared.
Pulling his bedroll out of his backpack and spreading it out over the ground, Iriades listens to what Stu has to say.

"The same applies to me, Felix," he interjects. "If you need any help, just let me know."

He then sits down, legs crossed and seems to enter some sort of meditative trance most of you recognize as being common to elves. Within moments, he seems to become, at least partially, unaware of his surroundings.

Prepared spells for the following day (unless something happens during the night):
Same as before, except
- replace enlarge person with a second grease
- replace one magic missile with shocking grasp

Ghal Marak
2007-10-31, 11:04 PM
Strennr

Strennr walked over to the ruins along side everybody else and made a spot for him to sleep as well. Or to be more precise, a spot for him to enter trance. He sat down upon his bed roll and prepared to enter the meditation. He removed his pack and weapons and laid them next to his bedroll, then closed his eyes. He soon slipped into the trance.

Here's my prepared spells:
0th- Guidance, Detect Magic, Light, Create Water, Mending
1st- Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Bless, Obscuring Mist
2nd- Bull's Strength, Sound Burst, Aid
3rd- Prayer, Speak with Dead

Naleh
2007-11-01, 12:54 AM
Atherin

The ranger ties up his horse close to the camp, and settles down into his elven meditation. His dog turns three times on the spot and lies down next to him with a tired sigh. His hawk sits on his leather shoulderguard and tucks its head under a wing. Together, the four beings sleeping together look almost comical.

Spells are unchanged:
Wizard
0th- Detect Magic (x2), Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
1st- Ray of Enfeeblement (x2), True Strike
Ranger
1st- Entangle

Kyroswolf
2007-11-01, 10:42 AM
Felix's watch passes without incident, as does Jas's. The next morning dawns bright and clear, though their are rumblings of thunder on the southern horizon, but no signs of cloud.

Looking at the map taken from the goblin, you see that it is approximately a 4 day ride to Wistendale via the road. Atherin notices you can possibly reduce the travel time by a day, by cutting over some hills that the the road winds around.

Looking up at the Ettin's old blind you can see several buzzards have gathered and are probably feasting on the remains.

Sepp
2007-11-01, 01:15 PM
Jas Norn

"Well, it seems from the note that the ettins are just minions of something. So we haven't completed our task yet. Which way shall we go? My vote is along the road." Jas says, as he douses the fire.

Ghal Marak
2007-11-01, 03:51 PM
Strennr

Strennr awoke from his trance and stood up. He then set about packing away his bedroll and gathering up his gear. Once that was done he pressed his palms together and closed his eyes. Moving his mouth, he soundlessly intoned a prayer to his god. His morning ritual completed, he looked up at Jas. "I have no opinions on our next direction."

Kellus
2007-11-01, 07:16 PM
Felix

Refreshed by sleep and in good humour, Felix yawns and gestures widely with his hands. "Nah, let's cut over those hills."

He smiles broadly. "What's the worst that could happen?"

Sepp
2007-11-02, 07:42 AM
Jas Norn

"Well, over the hills would save some time...but we might miss any other spots they have been raiding the road. Still, if we clear up the source of the problem, the outlying minions would likely retreat on their own." Jas says, studying the map.

Toliudar
2007-11-02, 09:12 AM
Stu

Pah. The roads will be faster, with horses. Good to go off road when we get close. If we are going on to Wistendale. That's where the boss is likely to be.

But, the best reason to take Wistendale is the mines. Either they've come out of the mines, or there's something in them they want. Maybe circle the town completely, head straight for a mine entrance?

Freshmeat
2007-11-02, 02:10 PM
Iriades Mon'd'atall

"We'll have to go to Wistendale at one point or another anyway, regardless of that note, so I see no point in going straight for the mines yet.

As for which route to take... I'd prefer going over the hills. Whomever captured Wistendale will probably keep a close eye on the roads, so it's probably not just a quicker route, but also a safer one."

Sepp
2007-11-02, 02:23 PM
Jas Norn

"Well, that is three for over the hills, one abstaining, and one for the road... looks like the hills is the route to go." Jas says, wrapping up the map and handing it to Felix. "Mount up and let's be on our way."

Toliudar
2007-11-02, 04:09 PM
Stu

Making no further comment, Stu quickly assists in breaking camp, scattering ashes, etc. He feeds and checks his horse, working with surprising gentleness, and mounts up.

Atherin? Can your hawk be told to alert you to people ahead? Eyes above would be good.

Once all are mounted, Stu will nod to the others and set off.

Sepp
2007-11-04, 11:40 AM
Jas Norn

Jas follows, making sure to bring the pack mule along.

Ghal Marak
2007-11-04, 08:59 PM
Strennr

Strennr mounted up onto this own horse and followed behind the others.

Kellus
2007-11-05, 08:16 PM
Felix

Keeping an eye out for more goblins, Felix hops onto his horse and follows the others.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-05, 10:24 PM
The morning passes without incident as you travel. As the sun reaches the apex of it's travel, Atherin senses alarm from his bird. Something that scares it is coming up the road, and will soon be insight.

Naleh
2007-11-05, 11:42 PM
(Sorry I didn't post, nor warn of absense. A lot's been happening over the last few days, but I should be fine now.)

Atherin

The elf suddenly sits up in the saddle. "Aeriaphos sees something!" he warns the group, as he prepares his weapons.

Freshmeat
2007-11-06, 05:59 AM
Iriades Mon'd'atall

"You know, my familiar would probably be able to give you a more detailed report, but unfortunately we haven't been on speaking terms for about 12 years now," Iriades says with a grim smile.
"Long story, that."

With a quick gesture of his hand, the elf coats himself with an invisible layer of force and draws his sword.

"Let's find out whether your bird spotted a friend or a foe...

Cast mage armor

Sepp
2007-11-06, 08:39 AM
Jas Norn

Jas draws his sword, and heads to the front of the group, near Stu, in order to be between whatever is approaching and the mages, then tilts his head, listening. (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1356780)

Toliudar
2007-11-06, 08:47 AM
Stu

Nodding at Atherin's warning, Stu carefully slides his glaive out of a pair of loops on his horse's harness. He peers forward as they proceed.

[roll0] Listen
[roll1] Spot

Kyroswolf
2007-11-06, 09:45 AM
As you continue forward, a rumbling rolls over your ears, at first it is barely distinguished from the sounds of the surrounding forest, but soon, it becomes quiet clear. A steady rhythmic thumping, as the sound of many booted feet walking in step. Over, or rather under it, you realize that the rest of the world has suddenly gone very, very quiet.

Nothing is yet in sight as the source of the noise is still behind the bend in the road and obscured by the forest and hillside.

Toliudar
2007-11-06, 10:59 AM
Stu

Glancing back at the others, Stu hisses:

Army! Scatter.

Sliding his glaive back into place, Stu instead pulls out his thick bow, and guides his horse towards whatever cover might be nearby.

Sepp
2007-11-06, 11:00 AM
Jas Norn

"And if you have any magiks to help hide us, use them!" Jas calls, following Stu.

Tying up the mule, but staying mounted in case they see our trail.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-06, 11:05 AM
The forest to either side of the road are wooded and provide considerable cover.

Ghal Marak
2007-11-06, 04:30 PM
Strennr

Strennr dismounted and led his horse into the woods, just far enough to safely hide from anyone on the road. He then crouched down next to his horse and waited.

Kellus
2007-11-06, 07:59 PM
Felix

Following Strennr's lead, Felix hops out of the saddle and leads his horse to cover. As he does so, he carefully pulls his bow and quiver out of his pack, scanning the hills for the source of the noise.

Naleh
2007-11-06, 11:18 PM
Atherin

"So I don't spend all my time locked up in a tower studying," he grumbles to Iriades. "I do better things with my time than stagnating. Aeria and I understand each other, and that's what matters."

When Stu declares his suspicions, the elf does not hesitate, but guides his horse straight behind cover. The dog follows behind, its ears lifted at the strange sound. Atherin dismounts so as to use his longbow, cursing that he hasn't prepared ghost sound again.

Freshmeat
2007-11-07, 05:01 PM
Iriades Mon'd'atall

Stagnating?!

Iriades isn't exactly pleased with the tone of Atherin's reply, but knows that now is not the time to dicuss possibly trivial misunderstandings. He follows the rest behind cover and dismounts.

Sepp
2007-11-08, 07:04 PM
Jas Norn

Jas guides his mount near Stu, watching the road."How big a group do you think it is?"He says in a quiet voice, his hand on his bow in its saddle sheath.

Toliudar
2007-11-08, 10:27 PM
Stu

Stu has stayed on his horse, hoping to be able to close or run quickly. He leans over to converse quietly with Jas.

I'm no expert. Take more than a dozen to make that kind of noise. Less they're the size of the ettins. I say, more than thirty, we cut and run fast.

Continuing to listen intently. Are the footsteps getting louder or quieter?

[roll0] Listen

Kyroswolf
2007-11-08, 10:36 PM
You notice that he sound does not appear to me moving. It continues to emanate from just out of sight where the road turns around the hills.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-08, 11:04 PM
Without warning a voice comes from within you group.

"Welll, yall didn't like that idea did you? Who are you? Why are you here? Are you with them?"

None of you can see where the voice is coming from, but you here the brush ruffle and twigs snap, as though something is moving about.

Toliudar
2007-11-09, 01:31 AM
Stu

Damnable arcanists, messing with our senses.

Whirling with a scowl, Stu points his glaive in the direction of the sound of movement.

If we were with them, why would we be hiding? This will go easier for you if you show yourself voluntarily.

Actively listening, to try to refine his understanding of where the invisible (?) person is. Male/female voice?

[roll0]

Sepp
2007-11-09, 09:42 AM
Jas Norn

"Much easier. Jas adds dryly, trying to pinpoint (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1363161) where the sound is coming from.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-09, 10:08 AM
Neither of you as able to pinpoint where the voice was coming from, but everyone recognizes it as being obviously male.

Freshmeat
2007-11-09, 10:27 AM
Iriades Mon'd'atall

"Why does everyone I meet capable of making himself invisible have the annoying habit to show it off at every occassion?"

Slightly peeved, the elf looks for any tell-tale signs of where their uninvited guest might be. Although invisibility spells were, on the whole, very potent, only the most skilled of mages were able to avoid creating flaws in their illusions.

[roll0]
[roll1] (to see footprints, snapped branches and the like)

Should Iriades have a good idea about where the other mage is, he'll cast glitterdust. He has neither the time nor patience to play silly invisibility games.

Naleh
2007-11-09, 01:59 PM
Atherin

The ranger is nervous. Atherin has always been proud of his eyesight before, even though he's never trained it - 'eyes like a hawk', he claims, and with his familiar it may be true. To have an opponent he can't see defeats the use of archery.

But he does have one option most don't. "Seek," he whispers in Elven. His dog Saetherialis immediately jumps up and starts looking for anything alive.

Meanwhile, the elf continues to look and listen for any sign of the speaker.

Not including hawk's Alertness (+2 Spot & Listen), because it probably won't be back yet.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Seek: The animal moves into an area and looks around for anything that is obviously alive or animate. It's up to Kyroswolf whether that would include sniffing out an unseen person.
(Handle Animal mod is +15, so I don't need to make a roll.)

Ghal Marak
2007-11-09, 06:40 PM
Strennr

Strennr remained as calm and collected as ever when he spoke to the mysterious invisible being. "Why do you want to know such things? I nor my companions will answer your questions until you reveal yourself." Strennr then crossed his arms and stared off into space around where the voice had emanated before.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-09, 10:55 PM
The voice responds to Iriades' goading with an outburst of words in an unknown language. Iriades launches his glitterdust spell completely catching the voice in mid tirade. The glitterdust reveals the outline of a gnome in ragtag clothing, a staff in hand.

Saetherialis reacts to the appearance of the gnome by pouncing upon him, pinning him to ground. As they land, the gnome's invisibility spell fades, as does the sound of the marching feet.

The gnome is dressed in rag tag robes, that appear to have been rather grand at one time. They are torn, faded, and quite dirty. The gnome himself is small, even for his race, and very thin. He obviously hasn't had much to eat for some time.

"Some one get this damn mutt off me!"

Ghal Marak
2007-11-09, 11:04 PM
Stennr

Strennr walked over to the downed gnome and looked down on him. "Ah, that takes care of the invisibility." He then looked up at the rest of the group. Who is up for interogation? I haven't the stomach for it." He then looked down on the gnome again. "That is, of course, unless you answer our questions."

Bluff- [roll0]

Kyroswolf
2007-11-09, 11:38 PM
The gnomes only reply is a gesture considered vulgar in many cultures, and a few more words you assume to be gnomish. Unnoticed his other hand slipped into a pouch on his belt. He looks at Atherin, "Would you mind telling your mutt to let me up?" Atherin's eyes gloss over as he commands Saetherialis to Heel.

The gnome stands, brushing himself off. "Well since you can see me would you mind answering my questions?"

Atherin shakes his head as though waking up from a long sleep. He looks confused as to why Saetherialis is now beside him.

Suggestions was cast on Atherin, simply to get him to call back Saetherialis. Sorry you rolled a 1 on the save. But no ill effects as the spell ended as soon as you called Saetherialis to you.

MAP

RoadRoadRoadRoadRoad
|||Stu_Jas_Str
Ath|||||||||||Ira
|
||||||Gnome

Sepp
2007-11-10, 10:15 AM
Jas Norn

Jas lets out a breath of relief as the sounds fade away, though it changes to annoyance as he glares at the gnome. "That was some sort of illusionary sound? What were you trying to do with it?"

Naleh
2007-11-10, 04:02 PM
Atherin

The elf blinks stupidly for a moment. "Wha... Why is Sae... Huh?"

Composing himself, he glares at the gnome. "You know, we could ask you the same questions and more. Who are you? Why are you here? Are you with them? ... Who is 'them'? ... And if you made the noise, what was it that frightened Aeriaphos?" With this last question he turns to look toward the bend in the road, concerned.

Toliudar
2007-11-10, 06:03 PM
Stu

As soon as the gnome appears, Stu slides off of his horse. Sensing Atherin's confusion at his own action - especially since it mirrors his own - Stu steps around to southeast of the gnome, making no effort to conceal his action, but pretending to look out to confirm that there is no army.

Spellcraft [roll0] to identify the gnome's spell. Stu is preparing to lunge forward to grapple the gnome if he pulls any more spellcasting crap.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-11, 10:20 PM
Stu is unable to identify the spell but realizes it was some kind of enchantment.

The gnome looks dejectedly at each of you until finally, "Fine I'll go first I am Dandell Gildepot. I was a part of a diplomatic envoy to Wistendale. We were trying to negotiate for direct trading rather than having to go through Warrington. Anyway, we never made it there. Not far up the road we were attacked by some Gnolls. The funny part is they appeared to be lead by an Orc. Well I was able to get away, but the others were lost. I wish I could help them....but from what I saw...well lets just say the Gnolls were well fed that day. I've been living on the land since then, working my way back to Warrington. I would have already been there, but there are patrols everywhere. Just last week I almost got stepped on by an Ettin. Twice." All this is said at a rapid fire pace, as though he has been dying to tell someone.

As he winds down he realizes the question Atherin asked him. "Is this Aeriaphos?" He reaches into a different pouch on his belt and pulls out a unharmed Aeriaphos, who quickly flys to Atherin's shoulder.

Toliudar
2007-11-12, 12:52 AM
Stu

The big orc relaxes a bit at this seemingly-reasonable, if rashly spoken, explanation.

We were sent to check out Wistendale. Contact has been broken off.

How many gnolls did you see?

Kyroswolf
2007-11-12, 05:04 PM
The gnome wags his finger at Stu, "No, No. You want anymore I want names."

Sepp
2007-11-12, 05:52 PM
Jas Norn

Jas continues to watch the gnome, though he has released his bow. I'm Jas. He's Stu."

Kellus
2007-11-12, 08:33 PM
Fantastic Felix

Felix steps forward curiously.

"Dandell, huh? That's quite a story; it sounds like you've been through a lot. I'm sorry to hear about your companions." He pauses. "The name's Felix, by the way."

Diplomacy check to get on Dandell's good side: [roll0]

Naleh
2007-11-12, 10:59 PM
Atherin

"I'm Atherin. You've met Aeriaphos. This is Saetherialis," he pats his dog, "and Tyatherialis," he points back to his horse.

Ghal Marak
2007-11-12, 11:34 PM
Strennr

Strennr crossed his arms and looked away from the gnome, already hating the little cretin. "...Strennr."

Toliudar
2007-11-14, 03:24 PM
Stu

Stu steps closer to get the gnome's attention.

So. Now that we are all buddies.

His grim face and lack of inflection leave no doubt as to his real opinion of the situation.

How many gnolls, and where did you see them?

Kyroswolf
2007-11-14, 11:20 PM
"Well now that we know each other. I'm not sure how many. As soon as the first of us was down, I cast Invisibility on myself and hid. I saw a gnoll attack one of my companions, and an orc shooting arrows, then I was knocked unconcious. When I came to...." the gnome visibly shakes himself, "some of my companions had been eaten. I have been able to find out a few things, overheard things as I evaded the patrols. They are all working for....."

The gnome stops talking as you all hear a bow twang. As if it was always there an arrow appears in the gnomes chest {d:7}

As he begins to scream in pain a second arrow bounces off the Stu's back. He feels a slight sting, letting him know his chain shirt barely kept the arrow from piercing his skin.

A wolf comes charging toward Strennr biting his leg. He stumbles for as the canine pulls at his calf, but is able to keep his feet.{d:8}

All the horses, not trained for war start at the sight and smell of the wolf. {panicked}

Charging through the brush you catch sight of a gnoll, who leaps 8 feet into the air and covering a good 30 ft. As he land his spear plunges into the gnome. {d:47, -8hp}

Blood spews as it witdraws it's spear and turns thrusting it at Iriades. The tip pierces barely missing as it stabs less than an inch from Iriades' ear.

You see a orc nearly 50ft away in the brush notching another arrow to his bow.

Gnome is at -8

Initiative
Felix 19
Jas 17(21)
Gnome 17(17)
Stu 15
Baddies 14
Strennr {d:8} 13
Atherin 12
Iriades 10

Map
http://www.integrity.com/homes/cedwards1/roadbattle3.JPG

Same as before, post your actions with rolls I'll post a summary. Your first Initials or abbreviation of you name is on your icon and your mounts. I left the pack mule out, assume it is in the same space as Jas's horse. Unless your mount is trained for war it is panicked and will resist any attempt to mount it or ride.

Yes, it was foreboding wasn't it?

Freshmeat
2007-11-15, 02:58 AM
Character sheet seems to work fine to me. Are you using the one in my signature? That one is always the most recent.

In case you still can't access it:
- Initiative: +6
- AC: 20 (18 when flat-footed)
- HP: 42

Toliudar
2007-11-15, 08:29 AM
Stu

Well, now we don't need to go looking for them.

Stu's face settles into the familiar battle-mask as his glaive whips up in response to the gnoll's leap. Jockeying for position against the agile dog-man, the orc brings his own glaive down and across, hoping to gut it quickly and move on.

Entering rage. Taking a 5' step to K9 (how perfect, when fighting gnolls!). Five points of power attack. Full attack action.

[roll0] Attack 1
[roll1] Attack 1 crit confirmation, if applicable
[roll2] Attack 1 damage

[roll3] Attack 2
[roll4] Attack 2 crit confirmation, if applicable
[roll5] Attack 2 damage

Edit: HP 86, AC 15

Toliudar
2007-11-15, 08:32 AM
Stu

Crap, sorry. Damage for the attacks should have been d10, not d20.

[roll0] Attack 1 damage
[roll1] Attack 2 damage

Sepp
2007-11-15, 10:32 AM
Jas Norn

Jas leaps (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1374976) atop his horse, calling to Strennr "Stabilize the gnome, if you can!" He spurs his mount, charging toward the wolf (W) in the brush, his greatsword swinging (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1374978) downward, his warhorse lashing (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1374979) out with a hoof.

Horse is war trained, ride check to steer with knees auto succeeds. Fast Mount is DC 20, I beat that, so it is a free action. If my attack hit, it triggered Knockdown. Rolls here. (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1374984). I think that means I am at KL1516. Spuring takes 1 damage but adds 10 feet of movement.

Freshmeat
2007-11-15, 12:38 PM
Iriades Mon'd'atall

Drawing his sword almost instantly, Iriades heads for the orc archer in the distance...

Charge (+2 to hit, -2 AC)

[roll0]
[roll1]

Double move (around the horse) up to the orc archer. No attack.

HP: 42
AC: 20 (mage armor included)

Ghal Marak
2007-11-15, 12:59 PM
Strennr

Strennr looked visibly annoyed at the wolf that bit his leg. He then watched as Jas charged the Orc. "If I must, I will help him." Getting away from the wolf as best he can, Strennr moved over to the gnome and knelt down beside him. He then put his hand on the gnome's chest. "Just so you know, I detest you." He then channeled his healing powers into the little gnome.

Of course, if the wolf trips me things will be drastically different.:smallbiggrin:

HP:21 AC:18

If I make it to the gnome, I drop Sound Burst for Cure Moderate Wounds
[roll0]

Naleh
2007-11-15, 05:52 PM
Atherin

"Sae, attack!" yells Atherin. The dog Saetherialis bounds forward, snarling. Aeriaphos the hawk launches herself from Atherin's shoulder, passing the dog and bearing down on the enemy wolf.

The elf then knocks an arrow and fires at the orc archer. A second arrow follows in moments.

The ranger's horse is startled by the sudden noise, but not afraid. It remains beside Atherin, watching the goings-on with interest.

[roll0] at orc
[roll1]
[roll2] at orc
[roll3]

Aeriaphos, being Tiny, must move into the foe's square to attack, provoking an AoO. She has 18 AC and 15 HP.
[roll4] at wolf
[roll5] (min 1)

Sae ("T" on the map?) is too far away to reach a foe this turn, so he moves to J13.

Yay for animals and mass attacks!

Kyroswolf
2007-11-15, 10:42 PM
OOC: NPCing Felix. Player mearly needs to post to retake controll.

Felix reacts quickly, drawing his bow and loosing an arrow at the gnoll. The beast screams in pain as the arrow sinks deeply into it's armor. {crit d:15}

Jas nimbly leaps onto his horse maneuvering to free Strennr to act. His mighty blow knocking the wolf off it's feet. {d:12} His horse paws wildly missing the wolf's head.

The gnome is crumbled in a pile in the middle of the battle, still bleeding profusely. {Now at -9 and bleeding}

Stu's slashes rip through the Gnoll's armor initially, but goes wide on his second swing. {d:34}

The Gnoll retaliates against Stu, its spear stabbing deep into Stu's shoulder's twice. Stu feel searing pain as his muscles tear around the shaft. {d:59}

The wolf misses as it bites at the horse. As it stands Jas swings taking another gash out of the wolf, knocking it back to the ground. {d:16}

The orc draws an arrow, but doesn't attack, it appears to be waiting for something.

Strennr moves to heal the gnome, but never makes it. The gnoll catches sight of him moving toward the gnome and stabs at him with its spear. Strennr's voice escapes him as he crumbles, unconcious. {d: 30, now at -9}

Atherin's bow string sings as each arrow flies. The first strikes the Orcs shoulder. {d:6} The second sails over the orcs shoulder, lost in the woods.

Aeriaphos claws at the downed wolf, racking it's back. {d:2}

Saetherialis can't quite make it to finish off the wolf, but gets as close as he can.

Iriades draws his sword apparently intending to gut the Orc, but drops his sword as he sees Strennr go down. He however is unable to stop the flow of blood as it begins to form a pool on the ground beneath Strennr.

Summary to Now
Init
Felix {0d}
Jas {0d}
Gnome {-9, bleeding}
Stu {59d}
Gnoll {49d}
Wolf {30d}
Orc {6d}
Strennr {-9, bleeding in K13}
Atherin, et al {0d}
Iriades {0d}

MAP

http://www.integrity.com/homes/cedwards1/roadbattle4.JPG

Freshmeat
2007-11-16, 02:09 AM
Iriades Mon'd'atall

[new action]

Iriades draws his sword just as he sees Strennr go down. Knowing that time is of the essence, he quickly crouches down to attempt some hasty first aid.

[roll0]

Toliudar
2007-11-16, 09:25 AM
Stu

IF the gnoll is still up at his turn:

Stu grunts as the gnoll's blade bites deep into him, twice. This dog-man knew what he was doing! His face still frozen, he struck back, hard and fast, hoping to end this quickly.

Five points of power attack.
[roll0] Attack 1
[roll1] Attack 1 confirmation
[roll2] Attack 1 damage

[roll3] Attack 2
[roll4] Attack 2 confirmation
[roll5] Attack 2 damage

If the first attack takes out the gnoll, he'll take a move action to get a healing potion out of his bag, and take a 5' step towards Strennr

IF someone else has taken out the gnoll:

Stu glances down at the blood oozing from his own chest, but then glances over at Strennr and the crazy gnome. Don't think of him as an elf. Think of him as a comrade.

He yanks a healing potion out of his bag and dashes over to the fallen priest. He pours the elixir down the elf's throat.

[roll6] Cure Light wounds

Sepp
2007-11-16, 11:19 AM
Jas Norn

Jas, seeing Strennr fall, leaps of his mount, moves to beside Strennr, and activates (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1377024) his wand.

I failed the roll, so dismounting is a move action. However, since I did not move any distance, I can still take a five foot step. The wolf is prone, so no AoO for wand use. So, dismount to L15, step to L14, use wand. I /think/ that is legal, the only thing I am unsure of is if dismounting allows to pick the square. If it doesn't, I'll attack the wolf instead.

Naleh
2007-11-16, 05:33 PM
Atherin et al

As the wolf falls, Saetherialis skids and leaps instead at the other canine: the gnoll.

"Strennr!" Seeing the devastation wrought by the gnoll, Atherin runs forwards and waves his hand at the dogman, while speaking an arcane syllable. A familiar ray bursts from his palm and strikes the gnoll.

Without any apparent instruction, the hawk leaves the wolf to bleed, instead flying at the orc archer.

Saetherialis, riding dog - 18 AC, 13 HP
Move to K12 (provoking a reach AoO?) and attack the gnoll.
[roll0] at gnoll
[roll1]
[roll2]

Aeriaphos, hawk familiar - 18 AC, 15 HP
Move to S10 (where the orc is), provoking another AoO. I'm probably pushing the limits of what the primitive mental link can do, but oh well.
[roll3] at orc
[roll4] (min 1)

Atherin, elf ranger/wizard - 22 AC, 30 HP
Move to I13 and cast ray of enfeeblement.
[roll5] at gnoll
[roll6]

((At least be glad I'm not attacking with the horse too.))

Kyroswolf
2007-11-16, 11:32 PM
OoC: Felix is still NPC'd.

Felix jumps to action as he see's Strennr fall. He hurries forward, drawing a potion from his pack. Both the Gnoll and the Orc tense and appear to be about to attack, but they don't. Felix kneels at Strennr's side and poors the potion down his throat. {d5 healed}

Jas leaps from his horse and administers some healing of his own. {d3 healed}

The gnome suddenly gasps and shakes as the life leaves his body. He now lies still, beyond the help of all but the best clerics. {-10, dead}

As the gnome's death rattle fades the orc lowers his bow and calls. "We are finished. Withdraw!" He then turns and runs soon disappearing into the brush.

Stu apparently takes exception to this order as he strikes twice at the Gnoll, cleaving its body in two with his final swipe. {-10 exactly}

The wolf quickly scrambles to it's feet and retreats before anyone else can react. It also soon disappears into the brush.

Unless you want to pursue the battle is over. Stu took 59 damage, and Strennr is at -1, but stable. XP award will be posted shortly in OOC. You won't get the max you could have gotten from that encounter, but it should be enough for a level, counting what I forgot to award from the Ettins.

Sepp
2007-11-17, 11:39 AM
Jas Norn

Jas leans over Strennr, using (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1378451) his wand again, as he gives him a hand up. "We couldn't save the gnome, I'm afraid." He says, glancing about at the others. "If you're recovered enough, check everyones injuries."

He stands, and turns toward Atherin. "Let's gather up the horses, and make sure they aren't hurt." He calls.

Toliudar
2007-11-17, 12:58 PM
Stu

The orc is sorely tempted to pursue the orc, to punish one who would consort with dog-men. Then, glancing around at his own companions, he realized he had no right to judge.

Leaning heavily on his glaive as the battle rage faded, Stu glanced around. Strennr seemed well cared for, and the gnoll wasn't moving. No point in trying to pursue without horses. Atherin might be able to track the orc later.

He could be back any minute with reinforcements. Let's get the gnome and get out of here.

Bending painfully to the ground, Stu quickly pats down the two halves of the gnoll, in case there's anything of use for later.

After rage fades: AC 16. HP 15/74

Naleh
2007-11-18, 03:48 AM
Atherin

The ranger kneels next to the body of the gnome. "We knew him only a moment, but... I could have done more," he murmurs. Gradually he stands again, and looks to the cleric. "If you're alright, Strennr, perhaps you could give Dandell his last rites."

Finally he nods to Jas, and begins to gather the horses.

Ghal Marak
2007-11-18, 11:48 AM
Strennr

Strennr held his side, where mere moments ago a gnoll spear had pierced his insides. "Fine, I'll guide him as best I am able. And... thanks everybody... for saving me." Quickly turning to his work, he kneeled down beside the corpse and closed it’s eyes. The then closed his own eyes and began his prayer. All of it was in elven, and it consisted of the last rights given to an ally of the elves. He stood up and looked about at the others. "It is now in the gods hands weather his soul is in it's deserved resting place." He then walked over to the corpse of the gnoll and peered down at it. "I possess a necromantic spell to make the dead talk, and I think we should consult with the dead gnoll about his companions. That is, if anyone speaks Gnoll."

Toliudar
2007-11-18, 11:56 AM
Stu

Well, don't look at me - I don't speak bark. And I figure we take the gnome. Do the talk with him, get some answers, bury him quiet. Staying here makes me nervous.

Stu completes his survey of the gnoll's body and rises stiffly.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-18, 06:09 PM
On the gnoll you find a fine looking breastplate. It appears to be well crafted, but is not made of any extraordinary material. His spear is laying on the ground beside the body. As you roll the lower half you a large scimitar, also called a falchion. See that weapon, Stu has to truely wonder why the gnoll did not move to engage him where his glaive would have proved a hindrance.

Searching the pockets of his cloths you find 25gp and 2 potions. On one of his fingers you see a ring.

Ghal Marak
2007-11-18, 06:23 PM
Strennr

Strennr thought a second. "Well, I guess I could do that. We may not get the same information out of him as the Gnoll, but we will then learn what he was trying to tell us earlier." He walked over to the gnomes corpse again and looked at the others. "I can only ask a few questions. What should I ask?"

Sepp
2007-11-18, 06:33 PM
Jas Norn

Jas walks over to Stu, leading his horse, and hands the reins to him. "Looks like he did a number on you." He says, glancing down at the body. "He carrying anything interesting?"

Toliudar
2007-11-18, 09:17 PM
Stu

[roll0] Appraise check on the glaive, to see if there's anything special about it to explain the gnoll's tactics.

Stu hands the coins, potions and ring to Jas to hold.

Not as bad as the number we did on him. Bad enough, though. But I remember my lesson well. There's one kind of service for those as worship Larethian, and one for the rest of us.

Stu notices that the blood has begun oozing again. Rummaging in his pack, he finds an old shirt which he tears to wrap around his abdomen.

Look, Strennr, you wanna question the gnoll, we can hitch him up behind you on your horse. I really don't want to stick around here to chit-chat.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-18, 09:25 PM
OOC: assuming you meant to appraise the spear.

The spear is worth at least 1000gp. Though you can't narrow it's exact value.

Toliudar
2007-11-18, 10:13 PM
Stu

Doh! Yup. Spear is what I meant.

Stu gathers up the gnoll's spear to hold alongside his own glaive. He nods to it.

This'll bear a second look too. Dog-men usually aren't so well equipped.

Sepp
2007-11-18, 10:16 PM
Jas Norn

"Might as well check the ring as well." Jas replies.

Toliudar
2007-11-19, 02:32 PM
Stu

Silence implying consent, Stu bundles up the half of the gnoll that's likely to be doing the talking, and uses the rope from his pack to secure it to Strennr's horse. He then slings the dead gnome over his own saddlebags, using the gnome's own belt to hold him in place as needed.

There was a defensible spot a couple hills back. If Atherin thinks it's a good site to stop, I say we go back there to regroup.

Kellus
2007-11-19, 10:39 PM
Fantastic Felix

Felix nods. He briefly considers the morality of talking to the dead, but shrugs.

"That was exciting," he says off-handedly. "I'm curious what our friend has to say as well."

Sepp
2007-11-20, 11:44 AM
Jas Norn

Jas nods "Alright, Stu will head there." He picks up the dead gnome, and fastens him to the pack mule. "Lets head out."

Ghal Marak
2007-11-20, 08:22 PM
Strennr

Strennr mounted his own horse and followed after the others.

Kyroswolf
2007-11-24, 03:33 PM
Approximately a half hour after the battle, Atherin leads you into a clearing well off the road. You cannot see the road, and assume no one can see you from it. The foliage is extra thick except for where Atherin cut a way in, on the edge way from the road.

The clearing is approximately 40ft in diameter and has a generally circular shape. The time is approaching mid afternoon.

Sepp
2007-11-24, 03:51 PM
Jas Norn

"We'll camp here, so take all the time you need, Strennr. Stu, you should probably get those wounds treated before you faint from blood loss." He sets the gnomes corpse in the middle of the clearing, then looks about. "Any volunteers for sentry duty?"

Toliudar
2007-11-25, 10:34 AM
Stu

Sighing, Stu nods to Jas, and walks over to Strennr. Taps him on the forehead.

I should be up for guard duty tonight, Jas. Assuming...

He stares down at Strennr again.

So, Strennr? Remember back there, when everyone else risked their asses saving you?

He glances significantly down at the bleeding gashes in his chest and abdomen.

For context, Ghal: Stu is at 15 of 74. Don't mean to be hard on you - but it is making for a good running gag!

Ghal Marak
2007-11-26, 10:24 PM
Strennr

Strennr glared at the orc, looking annoyed as he rubbed at the spot where he was tapped. "Of course, I guess that means I'm in your debt. Well, maybe it won't be for too long." Strennr held his hand over Stu's wounds and channled his healing magic into him.

I don't mind. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, I ditched Prayer for the CSW.
Health Cured - [roll0]

Toliudar
2007-11-26, 10:46 PM
Stu

Stu grunts in appreciation as one of the slashes creeps closed.

No debt. Just that we're supposed to be helping each other.

Ghal Marak
2007-11-29, 10:02 PM
Strennr

"Hmm... It seems this will take more than I expected." He again channeled his healing powers into Stu.

Lost Sound Burst for Cure Moderate Wounds

Health Healed- [roll0]

Sepp
2007-11-30, 01:26 PM
Jas Norn

"Alright Stu, thanks for volunteering." He gets to work setting up a fire, and preparing a small dinner.

Toliudar
2007-11-30, 05:12 PM
Stu

The big orc nods in what will have to pass for appreciation, and moves to start gathering a store of wood for Jas' fire. When he's finished, he lingers for a moment by its warmth, and looks out into the gathering darkness.

Fire feels good. Thank you, Jas. So. What do you all think we should ask the stiff?

Ghal Marak
2007-12-02, 02:00 AM
Strennr

Strennr approached the dead gnome and sat down cross legged beside it. Resting his chin in his hand, he pondered the events of today and what the gnome had said before he died. "Hmm... what do you know? Well, I guess we shall soon find out." Standing up, he held his arms outstretched at his sides and closed his eyes, one hand clutching his holy symbol. Smoothly bringing his empty hand in front of him, he began making the magical signs to breathe temporary life into the body. He also started chanting in a low, steady monotone. The air around the gnome's body grew chill has the necromantic power took hold.

EDIT:

Suddenly the chanting ended, Strennr having finished the spell. The temperature returned to normal around the body, a fine mist dissipating on the breeze. He let his arms hang down at his side, and then turned to look at the others. "It is done. All that remains is to ask the questions." He crouched down next to the body and spoke to it. "Who are the enemy patrols working for?"

Kyroswolf
2007-12-06, 09:57 AM
The gnomes eyes open, but they stare blankly at nothing. The gaze of death still upon them. His mouth opens, yet the lips remain still as a ghostly voice comes from it. "I don't know the name. I only saw him from a distance. Half man, half lizard. Power to control all.........."

Ghal Marak
2007-12-07, 07:34 PM
Strennr

Moving on quickly, he continued with the questions. "How many patrols are there?"

Kyroswolf
2007-12-07, 10:55 PM
The gnome responds in the same ghostly voice, lips still unmoving, "I do not know. The gnoll that speared me is from the same group that attacked my party." As it finishes speaking a gasp of air escapes the gnomes mouth and the eyes drift closed.

Toliudar
2007-12-08, 02:09 AM
Stu

As the spell ends, Stu slowly releases his breath - not having even known he was holding it.

I say we search him, then give the little guy a decent burial. Maybe Strennr can talk with the dog-man in the morning?

He hikes his thumb to the top half of the gnoll. If none object, he'll get out a shovel, step about 40' away from the camp, and start to dig.

Ghal Marak
2007-12-08, 11:51 PM
Strennr

Strennr cursed in the elven tongue. "I had hoped that he would know more about the patrols. Though I cannot say I wasn't expecting this." He looked up, too distracted to accurately hear what Stu had said. "What? Oh, of course. Bury him." Strennr crossed his arms and paced the campsite, mulling over the significance of what the gnome had said. From time to time he would stop and glance over at the halved gnoll, then resume his pacing muttering something about spells.

Sepp
2007-12-09, 12:38 AM
Jas Norn

Jas sighs. "Well, that was a bit of a disappointment. No new information."

Naleh
2007-12-09, 03:50 AM
Atherin

The ranger shivers as the necromancy dissipates. The dead aren't meant to talk... It's unnatural.

"Not quite true, Jas. We know the enemy patrols are led by... by a 'half-man, half-lizard' with 'the power to control all'." He pauses uncertainly. "Do we know of any omnipotent half-lizards?"

Sepp
2007-12-11, 09:21 AM
Jas Norn

Jas frowns. Perhaps they aren't half lizard, but only look like a lizard? There are other beasts that could resemble lizards."

I was thinking Half Dragons, but Jas doesn't have the skill to know that, I think.

Toliudar
2007-12-11, 09:57 AM
Stu

The hole required for such a small one is not onorous, even in such soil, and Stu quickly has the hole dug. He nods at Jas' comment.

Yes. I remember my tribe fighting a band of skinny lizards for ownership of a cave. Skin like nails. Stank like death. Nasty.

He roughly and dispassionately strips anything of possible value from the gnome's body before carrying him to the hole.

I'm thinking half-dragon as well, but Stu DEFINITELY wouldn't know about them either.

Kyroswolf
2007-12-14, 09:55 AM
There is a bit of jewelery, you estimate it at being worth 2000gp total. He also had about 1 days supply of trail rations, perhaps the reason he originally attacked the hawk.

As you dump the body into the grave, night is falling and it is quite dark as you finish filling the hole. The campfire provides a warm glow as you gather around it discussing the days events.

RP as you wish, or post intentions for the evening watch.

Toliudar
2007-12-14, 08:55 PM
Stu

Stu lifts the bit of gaudy from the gnome and shows it to the others before tucking it away.

Spoils of war, I say. We can see how to split it when we're done.

He lays the gnome gently in the earth and starts to pile the loose dirt back on top. When done, he steps back.

You died in battle. Live on in honour.

Sepp
2007-12-15, 12:32 PM
Jas Norn

Jas echoes Stu's salute, then turns back to the camp, lost in thought for a moment. "Stu, you have tonights watch?" he asks after a moment.

Toliudar
2007-12-15, 01:34 PM
Stu

The orc nods at the man's question.

Yes, Jas. It will give me time to think.

He glances over at Strennr, challenging the elf to dispute the fact that the big orc might, in fact, think.

With that archer getting away, they know that we're here. And that we're good enough to take down that dog-man. Maybe in the morning - we talk about whether this changes what we do next.

Ghal Marak
2007-12-16, 06:37 PM
Strennr

Strennr stopped his pacing and looked up at Stu. "Yes... in the morning I believe I will have an answer, at least to one of our problems." With that he unfurled his bedroll. He sat cross-legged on the bedroll and closed his eyes. He didn't enter trance immediately, but instead traced the lines in his holy symbol and planned for tomorrow.

Naleh
2007-12-17, 01:23 PM
Atherin

Looking for something to do, the ranger goes to his old companion Stu, and offers to check over the valuables gathered from the gnome and the gnoll for signs of magic before he turns in for the night.

With a yawn, Atherin reluctantly finds a place to trance, his animals settling around him again.

Casting detect magic.
Couple of Spellcraft checks to identify school(s) in case they're needed.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Also, changing my prepared spells tomorrow.
Wiz0
- Detect Magic
- Prestidigitation
- Ghost Sound x2
Wiz1
- Ray of Enfeeblement
- True Strike x2
Rng1
- Summon Nature's Ally I

Kyroswolf
2007-12-19, 10:58 AM
The day dawns bright and clear. Birds sound in the trees surrounding the clearing. The stench of the nearly day old gnoll corpse only now begins to tickle your nostrils. Nothing unusual occurred during the night. Stu heard some rustling from the bushes early in the night, but did not raise the alarm when investigation revealed no visible enemy. Atherin finds some deer tracks in the area as dawn breaks.

Ghal Marak
2007-12-19, 11:41 PM
Strennr

Strennr arose from his meditation and packed up his bedroll quietly. He clasped his hands together and quickly performed his morning prayer. With that out of the way, he walked over to the dead Gnoll body and stared at it briefly, then turned away from it and waited for everybody else to rouse from their slumber.

Here's the spell selection of the day.

0th- Guidance, Detect Magic, Light, Create Water, Mending
1st- Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Bless, Obscuring Mist
2nd- Bull's Strength, Sound Burst, Aid
3rd- Tongues, Speak with Dead

Naleh
2008-01-01, 10:54 PM
((OOC: New Year's Bump!))

Atherin

After studying his spellbook and briefly meditating, the woodsman stands. "I'll hunt us some game. Go ahead and ask the questions without me." Privately, Atherin admits to himself that he just doesn't want to be around the necromancy.

The ranger readies his bow, grins at his companions, and follows the deer tracks into the woods. His leather-dressed dog accompanies him, nose to the ground, but he leaves hawk Aeriaphos and horse Tyatherialis at camp.

[roll0]

Ghal Marak
2008-01-01, 11:55 PM
Strennr

Strennr nodded to Atherin as he left, but made no move to start the spell. He was going to wait for everybody to wake before he started.