PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Bugbear Ranger/Druid, need some suggestions.

Grorl
2019-07-12, 01:50 PM
Huzzah! Hello once more, friends in the playground!

I am in need of some suggestions as to where to take my character. He is a bugbear Revised beast master ranger 4/ Druid 3. I have had issues deciding for what circle to keep the druid in. The DM has allowed me to decide before our next game weather I want to stay land (Homebrewed Rotating land attunement. So I can change the land spells depending on the surrounding area we're in.) Or go Shepard. He's very nature themed and leaning more toward wildlife rather than simply land, though of course he also cares for the land.

Given circumstances, he is playing a support role. He was going to be a dpr guy, but has become more of a support, though he can hold his own for a brief moment as I rolled his stats rather well and thanks to his bugbear attributes he's got:

Str 18
Dex 18
Con 16
Int 14
Wis 18
cha 14

Ape Companion:

str 18
dex 14
con 14
int 6
wis 12
cha 7

I was also allowed to use the Mariner fighting style, so I have a total of 17 ac and a swim and climb speed. He's got the polearm master feat and guaranteed the Woodland Staff in the very near future. At Druid 4 he's taking war caster to take advantage of any AoOs with a spell, especially the one given by the polearm master feat.

The group consists of 2 paladins, one who is concentrated on dpr, while the other hybrids as a defender and dpr (ya know, they can't help but smite things!). We have a thief rogue with a sunblade, and a lore bard, plus a divine soul sorcerer. The bard and sorcerer are single classing so far and do quite well with their spell use(provide buffs and control effects)

Where I am asking for assistance is pretty much - Should my bugbear continue down the path of a druid and attain higher spells, also stay land or go Shepard? Or should I use the druid for the utility of the spells I have and increase my martial aptitude. Thinking Ranger 5, Kensei Monk 6, Druid 9?

Or, dipping 2 into monk for speed, ac, ki. Then ranger 5 for coop attack and possibly silence spell, since I gain access to level 2 ranger spells, then rest druid?

Kensei monk or some other type?

I thank you for your time in reading this and appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thank you very much! ^_^

Man_Over_Game
2019-07-12, 02:04 PM
Your team is pretty well balanced to allow sway for either direction.

The Shepherds Druid does better in large teams, but Land Druid is generally better for a martial character. So it really boils down to how you want to play. If you team sticks together constantly, go with Shepherds, as you'll get more value from your Aura if it's constantly helping the entire team. Otherwise, go with land.

Shepherds also does better in fewer, harder fights than Land does, while Land is better with longer adventuring days.

moonfly7
2019-07-12, 02:16 PM
Whats your animal companion?

Grorl
2019-07-12, 02:21 PM
Whats your animal companion?

Ah, yeah I forgot to mention that. It's an Ape.

HP 68
AC 15
Str 18
Fist +7 d6 + 7 (4 str + prof from ranger, 3)
Rock same as above.

Grorl
2019-07-12, 03:17 PM
Your team is pretty well balanced to allow sway for either direction.

The Shepherds Druid does better in large teams, but Land Druid is generally better for a martial character. So it really boils down to how you want to play. If you team sticks together constantly, go with Shepherds, as you'll get more value from your Aura if it's constantly helping the entire team. Otherwise, go with land.

Shepherds also does better in fewer, harder fights than Land does, while Land is better with longer adventuring days.

Haha, yeah tell me about it. Longer adventuring days. xD

Our last little arch, took place over two days, with all the party getting about 5 or so hours of rest. Constant combat and constant moving about. It was nuts. We ended up having a point of exhaustion before we finally took the time for a long rest after toppling a gang bent on destroying a city! o.o Oh, and I ended up dying and being resurrected.

Taking into account that you are right about the composition, thankfully the spell casters are smart with their spells. So, I am leaning toward taking more martial levels and just using the druid spells for utility. But, I am still looking into more input. I feel with the bugbear's strength and his prof in athletics (For grappling) the bear totem can be of great use, especially as well for his ape who also is proficient in athletics for grappling and such. Can be used for controlling as well as bashing enemies in if I continue down the monk path (Take it in the first place)

In which case, the only question would be, where to take the level changes? I was thinking hitting druid 4 at level 8, then going monk to 5, then ranger 5 for coop attack, then rest druid.