PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How Do Athlete And Equine Build Work Together

Allistar
2019-07-12, 03:31 PM
So a player just pointed out to me an interaction that I think is weird. The centaur racial trait equine build states that climbing costs 4 ft for every 1 ft of movement, and athletic makes it to where climbing no longer costs extra movement.

Would athletic nullify the determent of equine build? RAW it works, but I'm having a bit of trouble seeing a centaur climbing at 40 ft per round up a mountain. I'm thinking about just making it half because he's still a horse, but I think that's cheapening the feat. I dunno, what do y'all think.

Jakinbandw
2019-07-12, 03:52 PM
So a player just pointed out to me an interaction that I think is weird. The centaur racial trait equine build states that climbing costs 4 ft for every 1 ft of movement, and athletic makes it to where climbing no longer costs extra movement.

Would athletic nullify the determent of equine build? RAW it works, but I'm having a bit of trouble seeing a centaur climbing at 40 ft per round up a mountain. I'm thinking about just making it half because he's still a horse, but I think that's cheapening the feat. I dunno, what do y'all think.

I'd let it work. It's not like they are going to break anything that the fly spell won't.

As for how it looks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Ib8D2XhFs

Man_Over_Game
2019-07-12, 03:56 PM
Less horse, more mountain goat. More jumping than climbing.

Gives me an interesting idea for mountain-goat-men centaurs that stick to steep cliffs as they harass invaders with bows and arrows.

Friv
2019-07-12, 03:58 PM
I would probably rule that the Athlete feat cancels out the penalty for being a centaur, returning the character to a base of 2 ft spent per 1 ft climbed. That leaves the feat as a valuable one, doubling the character's climb speed, without entirely removing the centaur penalty.

Chronos
2019-07-13, 09:02 AM
A centaur climbing a mountain, maybe, but now imagine one on a ladder.