PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed 3.x - How Can You Turn Off Only Part of a Magic Item?

unseenmage
2019-07-12, 03:40 PM
Say you have a magic sword and you use the custom item rules to combine it with a Spellblade.

Neat.

However, something goes wrong and your item improvement is cursed, now you are Spellblade protected from a beneficial spell you need to enjoy your game.

How can you only turn off the cursed part of your signature item?

Assume destroying it and remaking it, buying a new one, etc is not an option.

denthor
2019-07-12, 04:30 PM
This a dice game.

I would not allow it the dice dictated the bad part and the good part. Why should you only get the good when a NPC get all the bad. Not everything goes as planned.

unseenmage
2019-07-12, 10:48 PM
This a dice game.

I would not allow it the dice dictated the bad part and the good part. Why should you only get the good when a NPC get all the bad. Not everything goes as planned.

The cursed item bit was just an example.

Additionally, iirc if your Spellcraft is high enough only GM fiat will result in cursing your crafted item. No dice involved, skill checks cant be fumbled after all.

Psyren
2019-07-13, 02:01 AM
There is no general rule for this sort of thing. Some items have component properties that can be individually activated and deactivated (e.g. the various at-will functions of a Rod of Lordly Might - some of which can be used simultaneously, others of which are mutually exclusive.) But most active-use magic items either have a single function or multiple mutually-exclusive ones.

Shadowquad
2019-07-13, 02:16 AM
If the detrimental effect takes the form of a spell, you may be able to negate it via Spell Immunity, or its greater version.

unseenmage
2019-07-13, 02:28 AM
Those are actually both very useful answers. Thanks!

unseenmage
2019-07-13, 05:17 AM
There is no general rule for this sort of thing. Some items have component properties that can be individually activated and deactivated (e.g. the various at-will functions of a Rod of Lordly Might - some of which can be used simultaneously, others of which are mutually exclusive.) But most active-use magic items either have a single function or multiple mutually-exclusive ones.

What's the fastest action one of these modularly activated items can be changed with?
Are any of them automatic based on a trigger?

Psyren
2019-07-13, 02:49 PM
What's the fastest action one of these modularly activated items can be changed with?
Are any of them automatic based on a trigger?

The default to activate a magic item is a standard action. If you're asking about Lordly Might specifically, the entry says "pushing any of the rod’s buttons is an action equivalent to drawing a weapon", which suggests a move action that can be further reduced by something like Quick Draw. But an item has to specifically say it is faster than a standard (or you need an ability that overrides the general rule.)

unseenmage
2019-07-13, 02:51 PM
The default to activate a magic item is a standard action. If you're asking about Lordly Might specifically, the entry says "pushing any of the rod’s buttons is an action equivalent to drawing a weapon", which suggests a move action that can be further reduced by something like Quick Draw. But an item has to specifically say it is faster than a standard (or you need an ability that overrides the general rule.)

Yup. Is why Im asking about actions to activate faster than standard

Psyren
2019-07-13, 03:11 PM
Yup. Is why Im asking about actions to activate faster than standard

I'm afraid I don't have a laundry list of such examples handy - your best bet might be another thread (or renaming this one.)

unseenmage
2019-07-13, 06:16 PM
I'm afraid I don't have a laundry list of such examples handy - your best bet might be another thread (or renaming this one.)

A good point. And I also notice that I didn't say things the way I thought that I dis either.

Sleep deprivation is a helluva drug.

KillianHawkeye
2019-07-13, 07:52 PM
Say you have a magic sword and you use the custom item rules to combine it with a Spellblade.

Neat.

However, something goes wrong and your item improvement is cursed, now you are Spellblade protected from a beneficial spell you need to enjoy your game.

How can you only turn off the cursed part of your signature item?

Assume destroying it and remaking it, buying a new one, etc is not an option.

To be honest, it doesn't sound like much of a curse if you can just turn it off.

Asmotherion
2019-07-13, 08:15 PM
Wish/Miracle may do it depending on your DM.

Bless weapon would suppress the alignment of the weapon; so if the curse is dependant on an sentient weapon's actions it may choose not to bestow it for the duration of the spell.

You may attempt to become effectivelly imune to the effects of the curse; Depending on the caster level of the curse a simple Spell Resistance or Spell imunity to the Curse effect may be enough (Or get some SR through a template). in a high OP game your Cleric or Wizard may Persist the effects of Spell Resistance for you.

Otherwise you may try selling it for a proffit to someone who doesn't notice the curse (Magic Aura) and then buy/Create a new one at half price (in case money is the issue and you're not exactly on the Lawful side-or the Goody side for that matter).

Finally your DM may have a solution that will solve the problem RP-wise. inform him on your intentions and he may suggest a way through a side quest.