PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Centaurs And Horseshoes

Allistar
2019-07-12, 08:53 PM
Yet another interaction was put forward by the same player who asked about the athlete interaction... How would you deal with the centaur attempting to use horseshoes of speed/zephyr? I want to say no since it's non attunement and giving him +30 speed, or ignoring of difficult retain and environmental hazards for next to no cost beyond GP.

Aprender
2019-07-12, 09:07 PM
Serious answer: I'd make it require attunement. It'd still be very good. Or I wouldn't and I would compare it to the incredibly good, uncommon broom of flying that doesn't require attunement.

For funsies: it would work perfectly, but then I'd throw a lot of sheer cliff faces, vertical dungeon walls and even a few special rewards at the top of a ladder. :)

Laserlight
2019-07-12, 09:09 PM
How I'd deal with it is "You've never heard of such horseshoes actually existing. They're mentioned in one of the tales about Insert Centaur Mythical Hero, but he's also said to have marked the face of the moon with three bow shots."

Magic items don't exist unless the DM makes them available. If you have any doubts about an item, don't make it available.
If you want to experiment, give the item to them as loot, with three non-renewable charges.

Sigreid
2019-07-12, 09:09 PM
I'd just let it work. There's more than enough inconvenience in being a centaur as it is.

Allistar
2019-07-12, 10:18 PM
I'd just let it work. There's more than enough inconvenience in being a centaur as it is.

So, I talked about this in my previous thread. He took the athlete feat, and RAW he no longer has to pay extra movement in order to climb. We are in a high magic campaign, and the world we are playing in is actually one that me and another DM in our group made (important thing is magic = everywhere).

I don't think centaurs have anything wrong with them at all except the climbing speed thing (which he nullified). Apart from that they are vanilla, they have no other detriments, only benefits. That's actually one of the things I'm kinda between feelings on at the moment. No races have downsides, just boosts that make them better for certian jobs like the factions in CIV games.

Imbalance
2019-07-12, 10:48 PM
There are only two, and they're both lefties.

Or, they work great but cause shin splints.

Or, on full moon nights they turn the centaur into a weredonkey.

Maelynn
2019-07-13, 03:49 AM
If you think they make his character too OP, then just don't make the item available. Just because he wants them doesn't mean you should give them.

Tectorman
2019-07-13, 07:54 AM
No races have downsides, just boosts that make them better for certian jobs like the factions in CIV games.

I've got a halfling who wishes he could use a glaive without penalty who disagrees with this.

More on-topic, I'd say just let him use them as is. They're comparable to other non-attunement items, and they would still physically be in the way of other magic foot-hoof items, attunement or no.

Dr. Cliché
2019-07-13, 08:43 AM
Your daily reminder that centaurs should be Large. :smallwink:

Anyway, I'd definitely allow this. However, I doubt I'd make these items easy to obtain (they wouldn't just be available in a random blacksmith shop).

Chronos
2019-07-13, 08:55 AM
If they're OP for a centaur, then they're also OP for an ordinary human riding an ordinary horse. Or, contrapositively, if they're OK for a human on a horse, then they're OK for a centaur.

Cicciograna
2019-07-13, 09:32 AM
I would tell you not to worry and concede him his horseshoes.

+30 feet to his movement is strong, but not world-shattering. Also, to neutralize his climb penalty (which is also kind of situational) he had to take a feat, which is a pretty large resource expenditure on his part - unless you gave him the feat for free, in which case...well, Athlete in my opinion is still kind of a weak choice.

Don't worry, he won't break your game. Sure, he's faster than the other players, but essentially that's it. A Monk would have obtained the same result.

stoutstien
2019-07-13, 09:42 AM
I would tell you not to worry and concede him his horseshoes.

+30 feet to his movement is strong, but not world-shattering. Also, to neutralize his climb penalty (which is also kind of situational) he had to take a feat, which is a pretty large resource expenditure on his part - unless you gave him the feat for free, in which case...well, Athlete in my opinion is still kind of a weak choice.

Don't worry, he won't break your game. Sure, he's faster than the other players, but essentially that's it. A Monk would have obtained the same result.

Hehe. Centaur monk. Way of the hidden hoof

Sigreid
2019-07-13, 01:22 PM
So, I talked about this in my previous thread. He took the athlete feat, and RAW he no longer has to pay extra movement in order to climb. We are in a high magic campaign, and the world we are playing in is actually one that me and another DM in our group made (important thing is magic = everywhere).

I don't think centaurs have anything wrong with them at all except the climbing speed thing (which he nullified). Apart from that they are vanilla, they have no other detriments, only benefits. That's actually one of the things I'm kinda between feelings on at the moment. No races have downsides, just boosts that make them better for certian jobs like the factions in CIV games.

Personally I'd rule they can't wear magic boots and get the effect just like their bipedal companions can't wear the horseshoes. There are a lot more magic boots.