PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed 3.x - Need a Source of Ex Telepathy

unseenmage
2019-07-13, 04:44 AM
And I cannot for the life of me find it.

Would be great if it was able to function across planar boundaries but that's likely asking too much.

MisterKaws
2019-07-13, 04:51 AM
Dvati have untyped inter-planar infinite-range telepathy but only to each other.

Also Axiomatic Creature's Linked Minds.

Venger
2019-07-13, 02:13 PM
what's your build? easiest way is a 1 level mindbender dip or binding the shedu crown.

MisterKaws
2019-07-13, 02:26 PM
what's your build? easiest way is a 1 level mindbender dip or binding the shedu crown.

Those are Su, though.

Venger
2019-07-13, 02:37 PM
that's because there is no such thing as ex telepathy. telepathy is by its nature su.

MisterKaws
2019-07-13, 02:44 PM
that's because there is no such thing as ex telepathy. telepathy is by its nature su.

Sure, but there's always the dumb stuff wizards pulls, like Devices.

Venger
2019-07-13, 02:53 PM
Sure, but there's always the dumb stuff wizards pulls, like Devices.

you mean magic items? they wouldn't be ex either. helm of telepathy grants telepathy, but it wouldn't work in an amf.

Doctor Awkward
2019-07-13, 02:59 PM
So far as I know telepathy is always supernatural. Even creatures that have it as a racial ability, such as tsochari, have it tagged as a supernatural ability.

This is due to it's association with psiconic abilities, which themselves are generally understood by the rules to be supernatural in nature.

Mike Miller
2019-07-13, 03:06 PM
you mean magic items? they wouldn't be ex either. helm of telepathy grants telepathy, but it wouldn't work in an amf.

Devices are a Ravenloft invention. Non-magical magical effects, basically.

MisterKaws
2019-07-13, 03:10 PM

What Mike Miller said. Devices all mostly break the rules for what's supernatural and what's extraordinary. I'm thinking maybe there's also something some unsupervised author wrote somewhere that might do the same for Telepathy. Hell, maybe a Telepathy device itself.

Venger
2019-07-13, 03:16 PM
Devices are a Ravenloft invention. Non-magical magical effects, basically.
I've run ravenloft and don't remember these. Are they from the sword and sorcery third party splats?

What Mike Miller said. Devices all mostly break the rules for what's supernatural and what's extraordinary. I'm thinking maybe there's also something some unsupervised author wrote somewhere that might do the same for Telepathy. Hell, maybe a Telepathy device itself.

Sure. Sounds plausible. If you wanted to houserule something, you could just have a device helm of telepathy allowing it to function in amfs.

Psyren
2019-07-13, 03:20 PM
I've run ravenloft and don't remember these. Are they from the sword and sorcery third party splats?

Yep - though because they're "officially" licensed, there is a small contingent here that consider them to be legitimate in any and all optimization discussions.

The Glyphstone
2019-07-13, 03:21 PM
Looks like it. Specifically, it's from the Sword and Sorcery book Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood.

MisterKaws
2019-07-13, 04:19 PM
Looks like it. Specifically, it's from the Sword and Sorcery book Ravenloft: Legacy of the Blood.

Huh. I seemed to have seen it in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, yet looking now, I seem to have mistaken it. Guess that's that.

Back to the Dvati I guess.

By the way, Dvati Windriders with templating shenanigans(to count as your own mount) and Polymorph cheese have basically a DBZ scouter via Appraise Mount - just polymorph into whatever creature you want to compare and have your twin compare you. *wink wink*

ShurikVch
2019-07-13, 04:34 PM
Meenlocks from Monster Manual II, and the idol from The Real Hero Blues Living Greyhawk adventure are have Telepathy (Ex): Meenlock - 300', idol - 100'

Thurbane
2019-07-13, 04:44 PM
Meenlocks from Monster Manual II, and the idol from The Real Hero Blues Living Greyhawk adventure are have Telepathy (Ex): Meenlock - 300', idol - 100'

ShurikVch, your ability to find obscure material never ceases to amaze. :smallcool:

MisterKaws
2019-07-13, 05:02 PM

There, see? Beautiful MMII, your ability to let bull**** pass through your editing team never ceases to amuse me.

Mike Miller
2019-07-13, 06:27 PM
Oooh meenlocks... They are in a Dungeon module, too. I forget the name

unseenmage
2019-07-13, 06:42 PM

Woo! It does exist!

Thanks much!

EDIT:
Does this Telepathy function through Ring Gates or similar?

MisterKaws
2019-07-13, 08:44 PM
Woo! It does exist!

Thanks much!

EDIT:
Does this Telepathy function through Ring Gates or similar?

Should work, methinks.