PDA

View Full Version : Sumo kiah!

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-08, 10:26 PM
Thinking of making a Sumo Wrestler PC. Apart from the obvious (improved grapple, improved bull rush) what suggestions do you have for the build? Fighter? Monk? Barbarian? What PrCs fit well with this idea? The main themes I want to capture are invulnerability, unstoppability, and, maybe a kind of Zen oneness and mastery of self.

Ghal Marak
2007-10-08, 10:31 PM
Thinking of making a Sumo Wrestler PC. Apart from the obvious (improved grapple, improved bull rush) what suggestions do you have for the build? Fighter? Monk? Barbarian? What PrCs fit well with this idea? The main themes I want to capture are invulnerability, unstoppability, and, maybe a kind of Zen oneness and mastery of self.

Reaping Mauler? I dunno. Barbarian would be my next choice.

dyslexicfaser
2007-10-08, 10:36 PM
If you like E. Honda, the Sumo from Street Fighter, it would have to be a monk's Flurry of Blows. ONE HUNDRED PALM!

slexlollar89
2007-10-08, 10:43 PM
give them a con boost, along with increased weight, and maybe a str bonus too. Also consider doing a wholeness of body class ability, and high dex (sumo wrestlers are very powerful, and mobile despite their bulk).

This is probably the coolest idea ever!! give them a size increase as a capstone (or even better, powerful build) and a crush attack when they bull rush!!

Ghal Marak
2007-10-08, 10:49 PM
...oooooooh. Yeah, I completely missed the point of the thread. I thought it was optimization of existing classes, not the creation of a *new* class! Or is it? Man, I need a root beer. :smallconfused: :smallsigh:

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-08, 10:49 PM
Hoping not to have to home brew anything. Maybe monk multiclassed with barbarian? Is there an "aesthetic" feat that merges the two?

slexlollar89
2007-10-08, 10:57 PM
Maybe monk variant: d12 HD, no speed bonus instead +1 grapple for every +10ft speed (maybe), and bonus to bullrush. Give them the ability to make one attack on a bullrush though, because that's key to sumo-ing (at least I think it is, or should be heh heh). Then, give them powerful build at 20th level as part of perfect self (because they become massively big thus erfectig their style).

give them full BAB and you seem set!

Anxe
2007-10-08, 11:15 PM
Juggernaut fits, but that's an epic PrC. If it's a wrestler it should be a monk. Especially that variant that just got posted.

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-08, 11:29 PM
I'm actually thinking Kensai might be a good PrC choice. The STR bonus plus the enhancment bonus to my signature weapon (unarmed strikes) would make me pretty formidable. Thinking of teaming this with Shock Trooper and the decisive strike feature from PHBII for amazing cheese.

Is there a feat that lets you treat your unarmed strike as a two handed weapon for STR bonus and power attack?

Anxe
2007-10-08, 11:32 PM
Yeah, but I think it's only for dwarves.

EDIT: After looking I couldn't find it. I did find Earth's Embrace which lets you deal extra damage while pinning somebody.

de-trick
2007-10-09, 12:21 AM
i think the feat knockback would be good from races of stone

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-09, 12:33 AM
Wow, looking at Goliath, they'd make an excellent sumo wrestler. I'd re-flavor as a tough human, but still. Powerful build and +4 STR are totally worth the level adjust.

Dr. Weasel
2007-10-09, 12:44 AM
Maybe a couple Martial Adept levels in there? Stone Dragon's got some nice sumo stuff (the Grappling Strikes/Stances/Stability-type bonuses could be handy).

Sandstorm's Scorpion's Grasp feat could be worth looking into.

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-09, 12:47 AM
Idunno why, but I just can't get excited for ToB. I have it in PDF format, and I've looked through it, but thats about all.

dyslexicfaser
2007-10-09, 01:26 AM
No Aesthetic feat (there's a homebrewed one on these forums somewhere), but the feat Talashtora and its prereq Monastic Training combine to let you multiclass freely and keep improving Flurry of Blows, monk AC bonus, and... something else that I forget. Speed, maybe?

shadowdemon_lord
2007-10-09, 02:15 AM
Why not just flavor up a monk variant that multiclasses barbarian freely?You could make it so the class dosen't have to be lawful, but in place of inner discipline relies on fury to power it's moves?

Kurald Galain
2007-10-09, 04:05 AM
If you like E. Honda, the Sumo from Street Fighter, it would have to be a monk's Flurry of Blows. ONE HUNDRED PALM!

In that case, he also needs a slam (where he jumps and lands on someone) as well as a torpedo move (where he launches himself and flies at his opponent) :smallbiggrin:

Roderick_BR
2007-10-09, 05:06 AM
You can use the variant rules for Traits, and get Stout http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#stout

Mr. Friendly
2007-10-09, 06:25 AM
If you have access to Oriental Adventures, you could use the Sohei class which should be easier to mesh with Monk. Also, there is Iaijutsu which can be used with Unarmed Strikes. Those are my first thoughts anyway.

*drinks more coffee*
*gets a +2 alchemical bonus on Will saves vs. sleep*

SoD
2007-10-09, 06:39 AM
And, as per usual, someone beat me to the Goliath suggestion. Oh well...anyway, I digress.

A sumo-wrestler...if you're willing to use Book of Vile Darkness, then take your first feat as 'willing deformity' (+2 to intinidate, no prereqs), and your second as 'deformity-obese' (prereq 'willing deformity'). This will give you a +2 deformity bonus to con, and -2 deform to dex, and also as +2 circumstance bonus against poison, and also the same bonus to intimidate.

If you take a goliath, take one level in fighter that'll give you the two feats, then go either with monk or barbarian, or make a homebrew like others have suggested.

That's my 2 cp worth.

Lapak
2007-10-09, 08:49 AM
Either a monk with grappling-based feats or an unarmed swordsage who invests heavily in Setting Sun with dips into other disciplines.

Nothing says a monk or swordsage can't be a great big heavy guy. In fact, most of the Setting Sun throws would work just fine in a sumo context. :)

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-09, 06:10 PM
The fact that you can't power attack with an anarmed strike like its a two-hander is severely cramping my style! Any suggestions now to get my best mileage out of Shock Trooper with a monk build? Especially this variant? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#overwhelmingAttack) I was also looking at the Decisive Strike feature from the PHBII, but it doesn't mesh with Shock Trooper either. ST is necessary, I think, because it actually gives that Sumo a use for those big bull rushes.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-09, 06:15 PM
Can you iaijutsu an unarmed strike...?

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-09, 06:42 PM
What is iajutsu?

Fax Celestis
2007-10-09, 06:45 PM
Iaijutsu is a skill from OA that basically lets you smear opponents when you quickdraw a weapon. I'm not entirely up to par on the mechanics of it, but it'd certainly be something to look into.

goat
2007-10-09, 06:51 PM
What is iajutsu?

Well, in real life, it's a martial arts style centred around the single, perfect cut/strike. In one motion, you draw your sword and strike your enemy, and if your form is correct, wipe your blade clean and re-sheathe it.

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-09, 10:28 PM
What about Psychic Warrior? A lot of the abilities would be of use to a Sumo, plus a good amount of bonus feats. The higher level powers aren't great though. Any ideas on a good class to multi with psychic warrior, PrC or otherwise, to give me that sumo feel?

Dr. Weasel
2007-10-10, 12:42 AM
What about Psychic Warrior? A lot of the abilities would be of use to a Sumo, plus a good amount of bonus feats. The higher level powers aren't great though. Any ideas on a good class to multi with psychic warrior, PrC or otherwise, to give me that sumo feel?

If Psychic Warrior's an option, take it. It's by far the best class for the Sumo-Grappler-Unarmed-Fighter. Unfortunately it doesn't have many options for Prestige Classes, but going straight-classed is a good option anyway just to get the most pp/Manifester levels possible.

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-10, 01:08 AM
Warmind? (this is at least ten characters)

Dr. Weasel
2007-10-10, 02:44 AM
Yeah; Warmind's good if you're at that level. The Psychic Warrior Power list is the thing that really accomidates this style. Just a few low-level powers like Expansion, Grip of Iron and the general defensive Powers'll do wonders.