PDA

View Full Version : DM's How much would you charge for a sword cane?

Cyclops08
2019-07-13, 12:03 PM
This would be a rapier simply disguised as a cane...like in the movies. The pommel is a silvered knob, if I hit with the knob what would that be? 1D4?

obviously this is a custom weapon...how much would you charge for it?

Zhorn
2019-07-13, 12:09 PM
1d4 improvised bludgeoning damage for wielding it like a club.

I'd have the cost around 50 gp for making a decent concealed martial weapon (+100 gp if made with actual silver)

Legendairy
2019-07-13, 12:28 PM
Depends on the campaign, with that said, 50gp for it to look amazing with hard wood sleek/concealable rapier inside, probably no more than 75gp with a bit more craftsmanship and silver dipped.

If you want gems and all that the sky is the limit.

Specifically for what you are asking for I would say 50-60gp

GreyBlack
2019-07-13, 12:43 PM
A character in Curse of Strahd has a sword cane that deals 1d6 damage as either a wooden cane or a sword. I'd use that as a baseline.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-07-13, 12:54 PM
You might be excited to learn that this weapon exists in 5E, in two different forms no less.

First, there's an NPC named Rictavio in Curse of Strahd who uses a custom Sword Cane. It's a Silvered Shortsword in a sheath fashioned to look like a cane. Ignoring the Silvered property, since that isn't a necessity for its function, it's really just a fancy sheathe. It deals 1d6 damage, Bludgeoning while sheathed and piercing while drawn.

For price, I wouldn't honestly charge a whole lot more than a standard shortsword. The only intricate part would be some sort of clasp to keep the sheath in place while using it as a blunt weapon. The cost of the weapon +5gp seems fair, for a Shortsword it would come out to 15gp. I've estimated the 5gp cost under the impression that it functions similar to a lock (10gp) but lacks the finer details in its construction.

There's also a Common Magic item found in XGtE called the Veteran's Cane. This one is a bit complicated, it functions as a walking cane but with a spoken command word it transforms into a longsword and ceases to be magical. This would be a one time use trick so I don't think it's exactly what you're looking for. I don't see any reason not to allow the player to use it as some sort of glamoured weapon, however it needs to be clear that weapon doesn't count as magical for the purposes of overcoming resistances, reasoned out by the effect being entirely transmutive and not a standard enchantment on the weapon.

Common magic items are priced at (1d6+1)x10gp cost on the table, so the average price is about 45gp.

The silvered aspect is the issue. Even just to make the pommel function as something silvered rather that decorative, you need to coat it with the full 100gp value. The bonus of this is that it would also function as a silvered sword rather than just a silvered cane. I'd recommend having the tip of the sheath coated as well, it only really helps with the theatre of the mind aspect but it allows the cane to be uses as if it was a rapier.

Anywhere between 30-50gp without silvering, add 100gp if it's intended to function as a silver weapon. I'd limit the sheathed damage to at most 1d6 personally but you could very well just allow it to be used as a Rapier dealing bludgeoning damage.

Dork_Forge
2019-07-13, 06:55 PM
I agree with the above, it really shouldn't cost much more than 15/20GP more than a shortsword/rapier to have something like this made. I had a character in a sword lived campaign that used a sword cane as his weapon, sheathed it was 1d6 bludgeoning, unsheathed it was two weapon fighting with the sheath acting like an escrima stick (1d6 piercing and 1d4 bludgeoning). I had plans to gradually upgrade it (get it silvered, put a ruby of the war mage in the cane head/pommel), you can take inspiration from a book series I can't remember the name of right now, have it held together by a charm rather than a mechanical lock (so Arcane Lock cast on it maybe?).

swordsword
2022-09-27, 03:25 AM
Insanely quick to deploy, effective, deadly, and hardy; for any situation. Cane Swords come in various forms, some with daggers and some with knives, but all well concealable. So take a leisure stroll out in the park, alone at night, with the support of a cane and the protection of a deadly sword.

Mastikator
2022-09-27, 03:33 AM
A rapier goes for 25gp, I'd add 25gp for the silvered knob, a whole silvered weapon adds 100 but it's just a knob so 1/4th. It's a common magic item so another 50gp, so.... 100gp? Since it can transform back and fourth I'd double it for 200gp and call it a magical +0 rapier.

da newt
2022-09-27, 08:17 AM
I like the idea of using the sheath/cane with the offhand to either offhand attack (BA 1d4) or defensively (+1 AC).

For a high quality non-magical cane / rapier, I'd go w/ 2x price of a standard rapier. Alternately, if this was a magic weapon that could transform from cane to rapier to cane at will, I'd go with normal uncommon magic item pricing and have it count as a +0 magic rapier.

Ultimately, as DM I'd price it so the PC could attain it but high enough that they had to work for it - just so they appreciate it and to represent it's 'special-ness.'

ReallySeamus
2022-09-27, 10:47 AM
It always makes life simpler when my players do their shopping in dungeons, though there are admittedly fewer custom options when you're shopping at Dead Kobolds Emporium.

Peelee
2022-09-27, 09:50 PM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: This sword cane is too old to be sold.