PDA

View Full Version : Why fog giants aren't a playable race?

Conradine
2019-07-13, 12:47 PM
I looked at these faerunian giants and I found that nowhere they have a level adjustment.
But there's no reason. They haven't more HD than a frost giant ( 14 ) , they have more or less the same stats, the only unusual thing is the size ( Huge ) but nothing exceptional, and they have no strange powers. The CR ( 8 ) in unexceptional too.

If played what would be an appropriate level for them?

StevenC21
2019-07-13, 12:49 PM
None.

Burning FOURTEEN class levels on RHD is never a good idea.

The Glyphstone
2019-07-13, 01:05 PM
14 RHD of, say, Outsider hit dice would be good if you were playing a melee bruiser anyways - high skill points+all good saves+full BAB+type benefits.

14RHD of Giant hit dice are not good, you are correct. They're strictly inferior to straight Fighter levels in every way. Heck, Giant hit dice are inferior to NPC Warrior levels in every way, as they're otherwise identical but have 3/4 BAB.

ThanatosZero
2019-07-13, 01:09 PM
I recommend using the guidelines of Savage Species.

With these you can play any species.
Of course, species, which are not printed down within the book, need a homebrewed progression of their special abilities, RHD and Level Adjustments.

If you need an example take a look on the fire giant on page 168 of the same book.

HouseRules
2019-07-13, 01:19 PM
Dragon and Outsider Hit Dice are better than Monk Levels.
Most of the other Racial Hit Dices are worse than Monk Levels.

Vizzerdrix
2019-07-13, 01:22 PM
With a little work, racial HD can be corrected though.

ThanatosZero
2019-07-13, 01:34 PM
Titans are gigantic humanoid outsiders, as such they get full bab for each RHD, but the LA would be nuts.
If you ask me, buy the LA off via XP instead to try reaching the level.

Or better and in tune with RAW, start to buy off the LA as normal as you progress as a young titan at CL1, using Savage Species.

Biggus
2019-07-13, 02:56 PM
I think there are two reasons they don't have stats listed for being a playable race:

1) Monsters of Faerun is a 3.0 book, and they generally didn't list those stats in 3.0

2) they're Huge, and even in 3.5 they only list LAs for Large giants

That said, I don't think it would be particularly game-breaking if you did allow someone to play one.