PDA

View Full Version : What beasts are associated with wood elves?

TyGuy
2019-07-13, 01:12 PM
If someone wanted to play a thematic wood elf circle of the moon druid, what beasts would be most appropriate?

Also, if the rules could be bent to include non-beast creatures that are beast-adjacent, like a blink dog, are there any good candidates?

Lastly, anyone know of a really good CR calculator? The only option for CR 6 is the Mammoth, but buffing existing beasts to higher CR's is an option.

Millstone85
2019-07-13, 04:22 PM
All beasts that live in the woods, I would assume.

I know that Solonor Thelandira, elven god of archery and the hunt, is popular among wood elves, and often portrayed alongside the totem spirit Wolf.

Crypkid
2019-07-13, 06:34 PM
I believe that giant owls are especially close to the wood elves and are sort of forest guardians. Might be cool?

TyGuy
2019-07-14, 10:50 AM
All beasts that live in the woods, I would assume.

I know that Solonor Thelandira, elven god of archery and the hunt, is popular among wood elves, and often portrayed alongside the totem spirit Wolf.
Boars and hyenas don't strike me as having an affinity with elves. A wolf I can see.

I believe that giant owls are especially close to the wood elves and are sort of forest guardians. Might be cool?
Good call, I remember owls being associated with elven huntresses in a different setting. Thanks

willdaBEAST
2019-07-14, 11:00 AM
Based on art, elk with large antlers seem thematically connected. I would think bears would be allies as well as boars, but both would have respected boundaries.

Giant hawks/eagles would be another.

KorvinStarmast
2019-07-14, 05:09 PM
Their mothers in law.

RedMage125
2019-07-14, 05:39 PM
I would look to earlier editions for a Cooshee, and find a way to adapt that to 5e.

Very fitting.

Foxhound438
2019-07-14, 10:59 PM
craterhoof behemoths, and the occasional allosaurus.

but I'm sure there's a passage of Tolkien writing somewhere out there that goes into unnecessary depth about what forest dwelling elves like to have as pets, if you're looking for something more traditional fantasy feeling.

GlenSmash!
2019-07-15, 10:49 AM
Elegant woodland beasts. Stags and wolves for example.

Rukelnikov
2019-07-16, 04:52 PM
Tressyms are elven winged cats that can see invisibility, they are not combat forms though.

Finback
2019-07-16, 11:44 PM
If you're looking for other sources for more powerful beasts, books like the Creature Codex and Tome of Beasts have a wide range, and can give some inspiration for just re-skinning other creatures.

Bjarkmundur
2019-07-18, 02:48 PM
I have monster math in my signature :d

yay, i contribudeddd

Fey is the realm of things that don't make sense. This means anything can be fey if you slap on things like

*It's color mirrors the sound of the nearest river
*It fur changes with the season. When you aren't looking you can even smell the autumn leaves coming from the direction of the animal.
*When you look deep into it's eyes, you feel the color like a man looking at his last sunset.
* Whenever you blink, you feel like it moved towards you, even though you have clear indicators that it didn't.

So if you are thinking "fey animals" think feelings and things you can't really picture.

Man_Over_Game
2019-07-18, 04:52 PM
Panther, crocodile. Anything that uses stealth and savagery.

TyGuy
2019-07-19, 06:28 PM
I have monster math in my signature :d

yay, i contribudeddd
Thank you! This info is most helpful!