PDA

View Full Version : Can you stand from prime with zero movement rate?

Particle_Man
2019-07-13, 11:34 PM
Can you stand from prone if your movement rate is zero? Say you were grappled while prime, for example.

sithlordnergal
2019-07-13, 11:37 PM
I don't believe you can. It takes half of your movement speed to stand up, but if you have 0 speed then you have no movement speed to begin with

EDIT: Plus this makes more sense, otherwise there would be little point to knocking someone prone then grappling them.

Particle_Man
2019-07-13, 11:41 PM
I think my new skeleton berserker barbarian is going to have a fun time next play session! :smallbiggrin:

Thanks.

Greywander
2019-07-14, 12:03 AM
According to every grappling guide I've read, no, you can't stand up from prone while being grappled. This is why Extra Attack is so helpful on a grappler. You grab first, then shove prone. Now they can't stand up, so all their attacks have disadvantage while all of yours (and your friends') have advantage. It's incredibly potent, especially if you can use it to lock down a heavy hitter or spellcaster. Consequently, Mage Slayer is a good feat for grapplers precisely to make them better at locking down mages.

I believe the latest (albeit now out of date) version of the Grappler's Manual can be found here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468737-The-Grappler-s-Manual-%282-0%29-Grappling-in-5th-Edition). It's one of the more well known guides to grappling in 5e.

The TL;DR version is this:

Get expertise in Athletics (rogue or bard dip, Prodigy feat, Brawny UA feat, etc.). High/maxed Strength is optional, as with expertise your bonus will already be quite high.
Get advantage on Strength checks (barbarian rage, Enhance Ability spell, Enlarge/Reduce spell, etc.).
Get Extra Attack so you can grapple and shove in the same round.
Alternatively, use shape changing of some kind (Wild Shape, Polymorph spell, Shapechange spell, etc.) to assume the shape of a creature with natural abilities geared toward grappling (e.g. a kraken). Some methods of changing shape will allow you to retain class features, such as expertise, making them even more potent.
Optionally, try grappling an enemy in each hand.
Optionally, try jumping/flying straight up, then throwing the enemy up into the air so they take fall damage.
Optionally, try dragging enemies through terrain hazards, like thorns or spikes or pools of acid. Some spells can create hazards such as these, but most only apply damage once per turn, while some apply damage every time the enemy enters the space with the hazard.
Increasing your carry weight is also helpful, especially if you plan on grappling huge enemies (e.g. via Enlarge/Reduce) or two enemies at once.
Size matters; medium creatures can't grapple anything bigger than large, while small creatures can't grapple anything bigger than medium. This is why I lean toward Enlarge/Reduce to get STR advantage, so that I can also grapple huge creatures.

Floogal
2019-07-14, 12:30 AM
To be specific, the very top of page 191 of the player's handbook states that you can't stand up if your speed is zero. (Among other things.)

viaFAMILIAR
2019-07-14, 10:29 AM
Optionally, try dragging enemies through terrain hazards, like thorns or spikes or pools of acid. Some spells can create hazards such as these, but most only apply damage once per turn, while some apply damage every time the enemy enters the space with the hazard.
[/LIST]

I thought cloud of daggers would add some nice damage bonuses, easily twice per round, no save.

Man_Over_Game
2019-07-14, 10:33 AM
When the game says "half of your speed", it means "half of your maximum speed", not current.

So it DOES get modified by things like Longstrider or the heavy armor penalty. This also means that reducing someone's movement speed (like through grappling or through Ray of Frost), can prevent someone from being able to stand back up.

Armisael
2019-07-14, 11:06 AM
Was that stated somewhere MOG? I've always read that the other way around - meaning that anyone with a non-zero current movement speed can stand up.

viaFAMILIAR
2019-07-14, 11:32 AM
Was that stated somewhere MOG? I've always read that the other way around - meaning that anyone with a non-zero current movement speed can stand up.

Do you mean if a creature moves 25'/30', gets knocked prone, can spend half of it's remaining 5' to get back up? This doesn't seem right.

Armisael
2019-07-14, 11:39 AM
No; that character has a 30’ movement speed and would need to spend 15’ of movement to stand up. Movement speed is not movement remaining.

Chronos
2019-07-14, 03:02 PM
While a lot of hazardous-area spells trigger on entering the zone (and then again at the start of the victim's turn, so forcing them in still doubles up on the damage), most of them (I'm pretty sure all, but I haven't double-checked every single one) still only trigger once per turn. For instance, Spirit Guardians says
...when the creature enters the area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, it must make a Wisdom saving throw.
Evard's Black Tentacles and Blade Barrier say the same thing, and Wall of Fire and Wall of Ice are similar. Hunger of Hadar doesn't have an enter clause at all: You can walk right through it on your turn and suffer no ill effects at all. I can't think of any other such spells to check off the top of my head, but I'd be surprised if any of them let you pop a creature in and out of them repeatedly.

Tanarii
2019-07-14, 03:03 PM
So it DOES get modified by things like Longstrider or the heavy armor penalty. This also means that reducing someone's movement speed (like through grappling or through Ray of Frost), can prevent someone from being able to stand back up.
If Longstrider makes standing up take 20ft out of 40ft, then Ray of Frost makes it take 10ft out of 20ft. You can't have it both ways.

viaFAMILIAR
2019-07-14, 03:32 PM
"Maximum/current" are not proper terms, there is speed and movement. I believe "maximum" was used instead of speed, and "current" was used instead of movement remaining. Certain effects which change a creature's speed (longstrider, ray of frost), do just that, thus changing the amount of movement required for standing up. A creature spends the respective amount of movement when moving or standing up.

Dualswinger
2019-07-14, 03:36 PM
A common way I look at it when it comes to "half your movement" is that it's not so much that said actions are harder to do based on your movement speed, it's that they take 3 seconds to do, no matter how fast you can move in a round.

viaFAMILIAR
2019-07-14, 03:38 PM
While a lot of hazardous-area spells trigger on entering the zone (and then again at the start of the victim's turn, so forcing them in still doubles up on the damage), most of them (I'm pretty sure all, but I haven't double-checked every single one) still only trigger once per turn. For instance, Spirit Guardians says
Evard's Black Tentacles and Blade Barrier say the same thing, and Wall of Fire and Wall of Ice are similar. Hunger of Hadar doesn't have an enter clause at all: You can walk right through it on your turn and suffer no ill effects at all. I can't think of any other such spells to check off the top of my head, but I'd be surprised if any of them let you pop a creature in and out of them repeatedly.

Please add cloud of daggers to this list. Auto-hit, entry/turn, start/turn.

viaFAMILIAR
2019-07-14, 03:40 PM
A common way I look at it when it comes to "half your movement" is that it's not so much that said actions are harder to do based on your movement speed, it's that they take 3 seconds to do, no matter how fast you can move in a round.

It isn't "half your movement", it's half your speed. This is where I think people are finding the confusion.

Aprender
2019-07-14, 04:14 PM

I like the way you put that.

Please take an imaginary award point from an internet stranger that may or not pass the Turing test. Huzzah!

Dualswinger
2019-07-14, 04:39 PM
I like the way you put that.

Please take an imaginary award point from an internet stranger that may or not pass the Turing test. Huzzah!

Yay! I’ll add it to the pile.

*Sleeps on 3 coins like a pseudodragon*

Man_Over_Game
2019-07-15, 12:01 PM
Some references:

Dash

"When you take the Dash action, you gain extra movement for the current turn. The increase equals your speed, after applying any modifiers. With a speed of 30 feet, for example, you can move up to 60 feet on your turn if you dash.

Any increase or decrease to your speed changes this additional movement by the same amount. If your speed of 30 feet is reduced to 15 feet, for instance, you can move up to 30 feet this turn if you dash."

(PHB p192)

Being Prone

[...] "You can drop prone without using any of your speed. Standing up takes more effort; doing so costs an amount of movement equal to half your speed. For example, if your speed is 30 feet, you must spend 15 feet of movement to stand up."

(PHB p190)

On Speed itself:

"Every character and monster has a speed, which is the distance in feet that the character or monster can walk in 1 round."

So Speed, the stat, is treated in virtually every way as a "maximum" stat, that you temporarily spend its value in movement every round. Dash doesn't double your speed, it gives you more movement equal to your speed.

I was incorrect on the part that Ray of Frost causes a cut in your current/temporary movement. Rather, it reduces your maximum amount of movement, temporarily.