PDA

View Full Version : Belt of Dwarvenkind vs. attunement

Greywander
2019-07-14, 01:10 AM
So, I thought I'd found an "exploit" with the Belt of Dwarvenkind. If you read the item's description, you'll see that it opens up with:

"While wearing this belt, you gain the following benefits:"

And a bit later, it says:

"In addition, while attuned to the belt..."

So, I interpreted this to mean the the first benefits mentioned are granted for merely wearing the belt, with or without attunement, and that additional benefits are granted while attuned. However, a bit later on, it says:

"If you aren't a dwarf, you gain the following additional benefits while wearing the belt:"

Looking at some other magic item descriptions, such as the Belt of Giant Strength that immediately follows the Belt of Dwarvenkind, they only seem to mention wearing or holding the item, not being attuned to it.

Initially, I had thought that you could gain the first set of benefits from the belt without being attuned to it, while the other benefits required attunement. I now think I was mistaken, and that the first and third set of features require both wearing the belt and attunement, while the second feature only requires attunement (so it functions even when you don't wear the belt). Is this how you interpret it, too?

Are there any magic items that nominally require attunement, but still grant some sort of benefit when used by someone not attuned to it?

DarkKnightJin
2019-07-14, 04:27 AM
I think there might be a couple of weapons that give you a benefit without attunement, and more goodies if you're attuned to it as well.
No idea off the top of my head which those might be. Hammer of Thunderbolts might be one, I think..

Maelynn
2019-07-14, 04:56 AM
The fact that the item's description states 'requires attunement' means that the listed benefits are dependent on this attunement.

I agree that the 'while attuned to the belt' in the text is slightly misleading, but I think they specifically meant attuned as opposed to wearing. You could take the belt off when going to bed and still have that chance to wake up with a full beard, because the attunement hasn't worn off yet.

So there's basically 4 categories:

not wearing, not attuned

benefits: none

wearing, not attuned

benefits: none

not wearing, attuned

benefits: chance to wake up with a full beard

wearing, attuned

benefits: +CON, adv on CHA checks involving Dwarves
benefits (non-Dwarf): adv on poison saving throws, resistance to poison, Darkvision, language: Dwarvish

RSP
2019-07-14, 07:30 PM
The fact that the item's description states 'requires attunement' means that the listed benefits are dependent on this attunement.

Afb, but doesn’t Hazirawn have similar wording? It has certain benefits (+1d6 necrotic damage) when not attuned and other abilities when attuned (+2d6 necrotic damage).

If I’m remembering Hazirawn correctly, then it could be entirely possible the belt likewise has non-attuned benefits and attuned benefits.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-07-14, 07:57 PM
Afb, but doesn’t Hazirawn have similar wording? It has certain benefits (+1d6 necrotic damage) when not attuned and other abilities when attuned (+2d6 necrotic damage).

If I’m remembering Hazirawn correctly, then it could be entirely possible the belt likewise has non-attuned benefits and attuned benefits.

You'll notice that older printed magical items (specifically those printed before the DMG) use different wording than those printed after.

This is entirely conjecture on my part, but I believe the clause was written into the Attunement rules so that the magic items written before would function in the way they were intended, as they were written before explicit attunement rules.

For reference, here's the rules for attunement in the Basic Rules (DND Beyond uses a version merged of the Basic Ruleswith the SRD, you need to reference the PDF for accuracy):

Some magic items require a creature to form a bond with them before their magical properties can be used. This bond is called attunement, and certain items have a prerequisite for it. If the prerequisite is a class, a creature must be a member of that class to attune to the item. If the prerequisite is to be a spellcaster, a creature qualifies if it can cast at least one spell using its traits or features, not using a magic item or the like.

Attuning to an item requires a creature to spend a short rest focused on only that item while being in physical contact with it (this can’t be the same short rest used to learn the item’s properties). This focus can take the form of weapon practice, meditation, or some other appropriate activity. If the short rest is interrupted, the attunement attempt fails. Otherwise, at the end of the short rest, the creature gains an intuitive understanding of how to activate any magical properties of the item, including any necessary command words.

An item can be attuned to only one creature at a time, and a creature can be attuned to no more than three magic items at a time. Any attempt to attune to a fourth item fails; the creature must end its attunement to an item first. Additionally, a creature can’t attune to more than one copy of an item. For example, a creature can’t attune to more than one ring of protection at a time.

A creature’s attunement to an item ends if the creature no longer satisfies the prerequisites for attunement, if the item has been more than 100 feet away for at least 24 hours, if the creature dies, or if another creature attunes to the item. A creature can also voluntarily end attunement by spending another short rest focused on the item, unless the item is cursed.

And then the DMG rules, omitting all duplicate text:

Without becoming attuned to an item that requires attunement, a creature gains only its nonmagical benefits, unless its description states otherwise. For example, a magic shield that requires attunement provides the benefits of a normal shield to a creature not attuned to it, but none of its magical properties.

Hazirawn specifically states that the 1d6 necrotic damage is a property of the weapon that works without attunement. I would say that the Belt of Dwarvenkind falls under the same interpretation, those benefits for wearing it are distinctly separated from it's attuned properties.

EDIT: Another fun fact about DND Beyond is that despite listing Belt of Dwarvenkind as a magic item first listed in the Basic Rules, it isn't. It was added to the SRD at a later date. I still believe that you are intended to gain the worn benefits separate from the attuned ones.

Also for clarity, for those unaware, the Basic Rules for DND5e released publicly in July of 2014. The DMG wouldn't release until December of that year. Princes of the Apocalypse was the first adventure to release with the DMG having been printed and we know that Hoard of the Dragon Queen (which Hazirawn is found in) is infamous for having been written with only scraps of the finalized rules.

Maelynn
2019-07-15, 04:35 AM

I looked it up to be sure I got the wording correct:

Even if you aren't attuned to the sword, you gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls made with this weapon. If you are attuned to Hazirawn, you deal an extra 1d6 necrotic damage when you hit with the weapon. Increased Potency: While you are attuned to this weapon, its bonus on attack and damage rolls increases to +2, and a hit deals an extra 2d6 necrotic damage (instead of 1d6).

So items that require attunement will only give their magical abilities to an attuned wearer, unless specifically stated in the text. The only other benefits are the non-magical ones, like already mentioned in the example of the shield still functioning as a normal shield. The Belt of Dwarvenkind will still function as a normal belt, which means that while wearing it you gain the ability to hold up your trousers without using your hands.

Chronos
2019-07-15, 07:26 AM
So, wait... If you're attuned, it does an extra 1d6, but if you're attuned, it does an extra 2d6 instead of 1d6?

Maelynn
2019-07-15, 08:05 AM
So, wait... If you're attuned, it does an extra 1d6, but if you're attuned, it does an extra 2d6 instead of 1d6?

Yeah, I found that bit weird as well, but that's literally what it says. Turns out there's a 'not' missing:

​The error is in the the last sentence of the first paragraph. It should state, "If you are not attuned to Hazirawn, you deal an extra 1d6 necrotic damage when you hit with the weapon." Then everything else falls into place and makes sense.

Source: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/50264/how-does-hazirawn-work-in-hoard-of-the-dragon-queen-spoilers

darknite
2019-07-15, 09:01 AM
So the only benefit of attuning to the belt is growing a beard? I don't think so. All attributes require attunement at my table.