PDA

View Full Version : [Race]Daytouched

GnomeNinja
2007-10-08, 10:34 PM
This is a race from my developing homebrew setting, Dheneirth. Please, critique, criticize and complement as much as you want! I need feedback!

DAYTOUCHED

The Daytouched are a people created by Perul, goddess of life in the Era of Creation. Though they are few in number, many become remarkable individuals and create an impact in the world. In addition, they have a natural connection to the rhythm of life during the day and it is this connection that sets them apart; the daytouched create a bond to a time of day and manifest this period through themselves.

Personality: A Daytouched’s personality depends, to large extent, upon what Form of Day (see below) he is adopting at that time. However, they often have an underlying personality that guides his general actions, including his alignment. Those who are too young to meditate to determine Form of Day can be of as many personalities as humans, but tend to be lighthearted and playful. By the time a Daytouched can manifest a Form of Day, his personality slightly changes when one is adopted (see individual descriptions for the changes).

Physical Description: Daytouched would normally be indistinguishable from humans, save for a few features. The first is that Daytouched tend to be taller and lankier than a typical human. Probably the most crucial difference from humans, though, it the Daytoucheds’ wings on their back. While these wings are normally small, no ore than 3 ft by 3 ft, with great effort a Daytouched may enlarge these wings temporarily. The exact appearance of these wings depends on a Daytouched’s active Form of Day (see below). In addition, the Form of Day also affects other aspects of a Daytouched’s appearance, namely his eyes and hair.

Relations: The Daytouched intermingle mostly with humans, and as such adopt an open stance on relationships. The Daytouched value elves, half-elves and halflings for their litheness, and gnomes for their intellect. Dwarves are often considered to be too serious, and their connection to the underground too restricting, but are still regarded as strong warrior. Orcs and goblins are rarely trusted unless they prove themselves to be trustworthy, and after such experiences can become valuable friends for their fighting skills and beguiling nature, respectively. Kobolds are viewed as enemies by the Daytouched, as they are the opposite of everything they stand for. The Neorunians are typically viewed with indifference by the Daytouched.

DAYTOUCHED

DAYTOUCHED RACIAL TRAITS
● +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution: The Daytouched are agile, but lack physical toughness.
● Medium: As Medium creatures, a Daytouched have no special bonuses or penalties due to his size.
● The Daytouched base land speed is 30 feet.
● Low-Light Vision: A Daytouched can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
● +4 bonus on Jump checks: Daytouched are adept at using their wings to aid in slight gliding and aerial propulsion.
● Wing Growth (su): With great effort, a Daytouched may make his wings temporarily grow, enabling true flight. Essentially, a Daytouched gains a fly speed of 40 feet (good) for 1 round per character level 1/day.
● Form of Day: Every morning at dawn, a Daytouched may meditate for 1 minute to change his Form of Day, and only one Form of Day may be active at any time. These are as much states of mind as they are physical transformations. The following are the possible Forms of Day:

Form of Dawn (su): Dawn brings renewed clarity to the world. As such, a Daytouched with the Form of Dawn active gains small insight into his future, granting a +3 to initiative checks. In addition, this clarity also agrants a +2 to Sense Motive checks. A Daytouched who manifest sthe Form of Dawn physically changes so that his wings take the form of white bird-like wings, and his hair becomes blonde and his eyes bright green. When the Form of Dawn is active, a Daytouched tends to be quieter, and only tends to talk when he deems it to be important.
Form of Dusk (su): As the world winds down, dusk comes upon it, and with the setting sun comes tricksters and thieves. A Daytouched with the Form of Dusk activated gains a +2 on Bluff checks from his silver tongue. This glibness allows the Daytouched to trick those attempting to hide secrets from him, essentially allowing him to make Bluff checks, rather than Sense Motive checks, to oppose Bluff checks, and can force the opponent who made the Bluff check to tell the truth by making a second Bluff check against an opposed Sense Motive check. In addition, the Daytouched with this Form of Day active can make a Diplomacy check against an opposed Sense Motive check to distract an opponent, forcing the opponent to take a -4 on Spot, Listen and initiative checks. Physically, a Daytouched's wings are shaped like those of a dragonfly, and his eyes and hair turn brown and a dull blue, respectively, while adopting the Form of Dusk. A Daytouched tends to talk more often while this Form of Day is manifested.
Form of Noon (su): At its zenith, the sun has a sense of power and nobility. When a Daytouched adopts the Form of Noon, he adobts this nobility and tact, granting him a +2 bonus on Diplomacy checks. In addition, a Daytouched with the Form of Noon activated may, 1/day as a standard action, enter a State of Enlightenment (su) for 1 round per character level. In a State of Enlightenment, a Daytouched channels raw midday power and knowledge to gain a +2 bonus to a single ability score. While manifesting the Form of Noon, a Daytouched's wings become shaped like a butterfly's and extremely colorful, his hair becomes bright red, and his eyes become cyan. Also, the Daytouched with this Form of Day active will often seem to treat others with humility.
Form of Midnight (su): Midnight holds true darkness and the fear that accompanies it. This fear manifests itself in the Daytouched, and grants him a +2 on Intimidate checks. In addition, this fear also creates a field of fear around a Daytouched adopting the Form of Midnight, causing all creatures within 5 ft of a Daytouched with the Form of Midnight active to take a -1 penalty to attack. A Daytouched gains black bat-like wings while this Form of Day is active, and his hair becomes jet black, as do his eyes. His personality also changes slightly so that he will often treat others almost as inferiors.

● Automatic Languages: Common and New Ancient. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc and Sylvan. Daytouched commonly know the languages of those they often contact.
● Favored Class: Sorcerer. A multiclass Daytouched's Sorcerer class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

reorith
2007-10-08, 11:54 PM
nice. new ancient makes me lol. also, is the favored class scout or sorc?

JackMage666
2007-10-09, 01:52 AM
I hate to break it to ya, but it's +1 LA. The Flight is a VERY powerful SLA, the Dex bonus over Str is better for a large number of characters, and the "Form of Day" ability posses some mighty powerful things, including a Bonus Feat+ (Form of Dawn give you effectively Improved Initiative). Form of Midnight also has a no-save -1 attack, which is really potent at lower levels.

GnomeNinja
2007-10-09, 07:18 AM
I hate to break it to ya, but it's +1 LA. The Flight is a VERY powerful SLA, the Dex bonus over Str is better for a large number of characters, and the "Form of Day" ability posses some mighty powerful things, including a Bonus Feat+ (Form of Dawn give you effectively Improved Initiative). Form of Midnight also has a no-save -1 attack, which is really potent at lower levels.
The flight is mean to be limited, akin to a Swiftwing shifter, only not lasting as long at low levels. I figured the Strength penalty won't hinder everyone, but hey, give any penalty and someone will be fine it. I think I'll chnge the Form of Days a little, especially Form of Noon. Maybe decrease the bonus of Form of Dawn and actually add a little more to Form of Dusk.

Maldraugedhen
2007-10-09, 08:41 AM
I figured the Strength penalty won't hinder everyone, but hey, give any penalty and someone will be fine it.

Constitution. Saves for mages, health for everybody.

GnomeNinja
2007-10-09, 03:34 PM
Constitution. Saves for mages, health for everybody.
True, I was just reticent to do that, sice it seems like every other LA 0 race in existance has +2 Dex -2 Con. But I changed it to that for fairness.