PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Shadow themed Sorclock gladiator

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-14, 04:47 AM
Hello guys :)

I will ask for your opinion and help with my Sorcerer :)

I am playing a TN Protector Asimar Shadow Sorcerer Hexblade Warlock.

She is the light and the dark(in her first game she came back to life with the shadow Sorcerer Cha check and while glowing(?) with shadow she grow her wings and crated a ball of darkness.

She is like this:
What doesn't work with good/bad/chaos/order work with bad/good/order/chaos.
This kind of TN, bot the balance seeking one.
The one that will kill the Goblin that didn't act with respect after the Persuasion failed and tell his friends to l"earn from their friend".

Here is a link to the character in d&d byond (I will write it down here in a 7 hours).

https://ddb.ac/characters/13255925/k7j4aT

I am planning of taking Spell Sniper, +2 Cha at 8 and 12 Sorcerer and res(wiz) at 16 Sorcerer.

The game will go to level 20.

I am debating between stoping at warlock 2 or getting Warlock 3.
It is more Sorcery Points per long rest and a cool pact but I like the shadow Sorcerer level 18 ability.

I am a machine gun (we needed a damage dealer and I didn't like the nerf the DM gave to the paladin find steed so I built her)

Her name means Hurting Song.

She was a young Asimar that was sold to shader-kai(and sent to the shadow plane) and show great talent in performance. They trained her in the way of battle and showmanship and how to control the shadows of their plane.

She was a very good gladiator, got her masters a lot of prestige.
In her last fight the Raven Queen was watching. And she won with a great performance.

This great fight(with selected warriors, the Raven Queen was watching after all) bought her her freedom. She got a tattoo of the queen symbol on her tongue and got her blessing from her clerics.

She joined some wizards on their way to the material plane in order to gain glory for herself in the name of the queen.

We are doing the dungeon of the mad mage.

EDIT:
We do have a magic market, so I will like to know if you have suggestions for flavorful items.
Right now I have a +1 shield and a +1 wand of the war mage

Fable Wright
2019-07-14, 07:37 AM
Warlock 3 gives you one of the following:

—The ability to summon a weapon, which will be much worse than Eldritch Blast
—The ability to summon a special familiar which may, depending on DM, get you magic resistance
—The ability to get all first and second level ritual spells
—The ability to never take a long rest, enabling those infinite-SP Coffeelock shenanigans

Only the last two are likely worth it, and require giving up Repelling Blast (or another similar spell). The advantage to them is that they will come online far before the level 18 Shadow Sorcerer ability would. A build actually lasting to 20 is impossibly rare, even in Adventurer's League where a character can survive a group dissolving. I wouldn't prioritize the high level ability, but I'm still leaning Sorcerer 18 unless you go full Coffeelock. Delaying spell progression more than necessary hurts.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-14, 07:56 AM

—The ability to summon a special familiar which may, depending on DM, get you magic resistance
—The ability to never take a long rest, enabling those infinite-SP Coffeelock shenanigans

Only the last two are likely worth it, and require giving up Repelling Blast (or another similar spell). The advantage to them is that they will come online far before the level 18 Shadow Sorcerer ability would. A build actually lasting to 20 is impossibly rare, even in Adventurer's League where a character can survive a group dissolving. I wouldn't prioritize the high level ability, but I'm still leaning Sorcerer 18 unless you go full Coffeelock. Delaying spell progression more than necessary hurts.

The DM do like a good coffeelock but the party will not like it.
I am sure this game will last to 20, we have a willing group of adults and a big pool of players (7, not everyone can play every game. You know, work, study, kids, ext...)
We have a cleric and a wizard, that is more then enough, no need for rituals.
We already have a chain warlock and I don't want to bring a familiar as I see how he enjoy it. I want it to stay his thing.

You convince me to stay at lock 2.

Thank you :)

Dork_Forge
2019-07-14, 04:35 PM

Coffelock is only really viable for a couple of days before you start to suffer from lack of hit point regeneration and once all your original Sorc slots are gone it just seems like it would become difficult to maintain a rate of casting above that of a normal Warlock without something ridiculous like choosing to short rest 8 times instead of just taking a long rest.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-14, 11:11 PM
Coffelock is only really viable for a couple of days before you start to suffer from lack of hit point regeneration and once all your original Sorc slots are gone it just seems like it would become difficult to maintain a rate of casting above that of a normal Warlock without something ridiculous like choosing to short rest 8 times instead of just taking a long rest.

Well, coffeelock can work with Divine Soul which gives you the healing for using it.
You can also get the help of your party members to heal.

The coffeelock is about short resting as much as you can so it will be 8 times every night.
I think a warforged will be the best if you use XGtE rules about rest.

I am not digging that(the DM loves it, I don't).

I am stealing a 1-2 short rests at the start of everyday.

Dork_Forge
2019-07-14, 11:19 PM
Well, coffeelock can work with Divine Soul which gives you the healing for using it.
You can also get the help of your party members to heal.

The coffeelock is about short resting as much as you can so it will be 8 times every night.
I think a warforged will be the best if you use XGtE rules about rest.

I am not digging that(the DM loves it, I don't).

I am stealing a 1-2 short rests at the start of everyday.

If you're burning healing on yourself (a 1st level Cure Wounds isn't much better than spending hit die) then that's a huge drain on the whole point of the build and if relying on allies you become a bit of a burden to the party. I guess I can see the appeal of being a supercharged caster all the time, but not sleeping and the huge amount of short rests seems both immersion breaking and, well silly, not to mention you're locking yourself down to 5th level spells.

And for clarity I know you're not into it OP, I was more just thinking aloud sorry!

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-14, 11:50 PM
If you're burning healing on yourself (a 1st level Cure Wounds isn't much better than spending hit die) then that's a huge drain on the whole point of the build and if relying on allies you become a bit of a burden to the party. I guess I can see the appeal of being a supercharged caster all the time, but not sleeping and the huge amount of short rests seems both immersion breaking and, well silly, not to mention you're locking yourself down to 5th level spells.

And for clarity I know you're not into it OP, I was more just thinking aloud sorry!

Well, infinite counterspell, displemagic, buffs and BFC are worth it.

I saw DMs cry from a BFC wizards(I am looking for it when I DM, it is fun to see my strong Homebrew monsters helpless).

Gift of the ever living invocation fix your healing problems.

It is Warlock on steroids.
You can even leave Sorcerer after 5lv slots, and take something else.
Paladin, bard and more Warlock work great.

If you have a Coffeelock I expect something like a shepherd life uber healer and crit fishers as party members.

BTW, do you have any suggestions for flavorful item?

Dork_Forge
2019-07-15, 06:50 AM
Well, infinite counterspell, displemagic, buffs and BFC are worth it.

I saw DMs cry from a BFC wizards(I am looking for it when I DM, it is fun to see my strong Homebrew monsters helpless).

Gift of the ever living invocation fix your healing problems.

It is Warlock on steroids.
You can even leave Sorcerer after 5lv slots, and take something else.
Paladin, bard and more Warlock work great.

If you have a Coffeelock I expect something like a shepherd life uber healer and crit fishers as party members.

BTW, do you have any suggestions for flavorful item?

I guess the idea of skipping long rests for long term leaves a bad taste, I'm unfamiliar with BFC as an abbreviation, what is it?

Personally I'd recommend going Warlock 3, the additional 2nd level slots vs 1st level are more useful (including for coffee locking) and the pact is a decent power buff (for you chain or tome make the most sense).

Item wise you'd be far better off with a +1 Rod of the Pact Keeper, +1 to hit and to save DC and once per long rest you can spend an action to regain one of your Warlock slots. For the shadow theme a cloak of displacement would feel appropriate, especially if you flavour the visual effect as writhing shadows. A pearl of power and cloak/ring of protection are generally useful items and if you can get your hands on a ring of spell storing then you can really go to town stacking buffs.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-15, 07:23 AM
I guess the idea of skipping long rests for long term leaves a bad taste, I'm unfamiliar with BFC as an abbreviation, what is it?

Personally I'd recommend going Warlock 3, the additional 2nd level slots vs 1st level are more useful (including for coffee locking) and the pact is a decent power buff (for you chain or tome make the most sense).

Item wise you'd be far better off with a +1 Rod of the Pact Keeper, +1 to hit and to save DC and once per long rest you can spend an action to regain one of your Warlock slots. For the shadow theme a cloak of displacement would feel appropriate, especially if you flavour the visual effect as writhing shadows. A pearl of power and cloak/ring of protection are generally useful items and if you can get your hands on a ring of spell storing then you can really go to town stacking buffs.

BFC - battlefield control.

I have no need for cantrips/rituals or familiar(want to give the other players time to shine) and I really want the lv18 shadow ability "who is the bear totem now??". The first guy convinced me to only take warlock 2.

As I will only have lv1 warlock spells the rod DC isn't useful as most of my spells are from the sorcerer and it can't stuck with the hound from lv6 shadow(I want to dual wield Rod of the Pact keeper +3 and a Wand of the war mage +3 at the end).

I wanted to start with the rod but I didn't found one it the magic market, I did found a shield+1 and wand of the war mage +1 so I use them for now.

I don't know how I forget about the cloak of displacement, I am a tank in the party, I really need it and it will be cool.

A ring of spell storing is a personal favorite.

Everyone in the party want a ring of protection, maybe I will get one.

Thank you for your help :)

Dork_Forge
2019-07-15, 07:35 AM
BFC - battlefield control.

I have no need for cantrips/rituals or familiar(want to give the other players time to shine) and I really want the lv18 shadow ability "who is the bear totem now??". The first guy convinced me to only take warlock 2.

As I will only have lv1 warlock spells the rod DC isn't useful as most of my spells are from the sorcerer and it can't stuck with the hound from lv6 shadow(I want to dual wield Rod of the Pact keeper +3 and a Wand of the war mage +3 at the end).

I wanted to start with the rod but I didn't found one it the magic market, I did found a shield+1 and wand of the war mage +1 so I use them for now.

I don't know how I forget about the cloak of displacement, I am a tank in the party, I really need it and it will be cool.

A ring of spell storing is a personal favorite.

Everyone in the party want a ring of protection, maybe I will get one.

Thank you for your help :)

Sorry I must have misunderstood, between saying you're a machine gun, spell sniper and being an Aasimar I assumed your go to would be Eldritch Blast, is that not the case?

And no problem, always enjoy helping folks out with builds :)

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-15, 08:15 AM
Sorry I must have misunderstood, between saying you're a machine gun, spell sniper and being an Aasimar I assumed your go to would be Eldritch Blast, is that not the case?

And no problem, always enjoy helping folks out with builds :)

Yes I am going Eldritch Blast.
I am the tank DPR of the group(very tactical player, medium roleplayer, I like to play the mad mans and womans).
We have a blaster(a fiend chain, he is very bad in tactics so I don't want to step on his role) a war wizard(damage and utilities), a shadow monk with 1 rogue(a great tactical and roleplayer), a Homebrew non broken psionic(a nice player) and a grave cleric(very heavy roleplayer, medium tactics).
We have a high AC party, the lowest is the psion(I think 16), then the warlock/wizard with 18 and then me and the cleric with 20.

I started with Crossbow Experts in order to fight it in melee.
(I forgot to write the info here but the link need to work if you want to look at the build in d&d byond).

I just got carried away with talking about Coffeelocks. Our BFC is the cleric and wizard(and maybe the psion, I need to check it out).

Dork_Forge
2019-07-15, 08:48 AM
Yes I am going Eldritch Blast.
I am the tank DPR of the group(very tactical player, medium roleplayer, I like to play the mad mans and womans).
We have a blaster(a fiend chain, he is very bad in tactics so I don't want to step on his role) a war wizard(damage and utilities), a shadow monk with 1 rogue(a great tactical and roleplayer), a Homebrew non broken psionic(a nice player) and a grave cleric(very heavy roleplayer, medium tactics).
We have a high AC party, the lowest is the psion(I think 16), then the warlock/wizard with 18 and then me and the cleric with 20.

I started with Crossbow Experts in order to fight it in melee.
(I forgot to write the info here but the link need to work if you want to look at the build in d&d byond).

I just got carried away with talking about Coffeelocks. Our BFC is the cleric and wizard(and maybe the psion, I need to check it out).

On the rod I guess it depends on it up in addition to it or not, if you'd have to swap it out and you have Sorc spells you use that are attack based then I can see it being not as tempting. If you're the tank of the party you might want to think about Tough and a two level dip of Fighter would be very beneficial to you (more hp, BA heal, Defense fighting style for +1AC, and you can Action Surge to set up your Aasimar damage boost and attack in one round).

I don't see the value of Spell Sniper to you though? You don't really need the extra cantrip and you can take Eldritch Spear to boost the range of your EB if 120 isn't enough (and you don't have distant spell).

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-15, 09:27 AM
On the rod I guess it depends on it up in addition to it or not, if you'd have to swap it out and you have Sorc spells you use that are attack based then I can see it being not as tempting. If you're the tank of the party you might want to think about Tough and a two level dip of Fighter would be very beneficial to you (more hp, BA heal, Defense fighting style for +1AC, and you can Action Surge to set up your Aasimar damage boost and attack in one round).

I don't see the value of Spell Sniper to you though? You don't really need the extra cantrip and you can take Eldritch Spear to boost the range of your EB if 120 isn't enough (and you don't have distant spell).

Well, it is enough, but I want Spell Sniper for the anti cover aspect.
I took agonizing and repealing as my only two invocations so no spear for me.

I don't really want to go fighter, I really want to get the lv18 shadow Sorcerer ability (this is the first game I will get to play a level 20 character in, I want to do some high level abilitis)

The extra action ones per day is nice but I don't think I need it.
I have already 2 healing abilities (Asimar lay of hands that I use to inappropriately heal the cleric when he was down(I messed up his neck feathers) and Hexblade curse) and the ability to save from falling in battle.
I am fine with the healing for now(we will buy magic items for it) and I am going to make the cleric(he also want me to cast for him) cast high level aid on us and into a spell storing ring every night (I will be able to extend it).

What is really tempting is the +1 AC.
At least I have a shield and Shield(20/25 at level 7 is nice).

Dork_Forge
2019-07-15, 09:37 AM
Well, it is enough, but I want Spell Sniper for the anti cover aspect.
I took agonizing and repealing as my only two invocations so no spear for me.

I don't really want to go fighter, I really want to get the lv18 shadow Sorcerer ability (this is the first game I will get to play a level 20 character in, I want to do some high level abilitis)

The extra action ones per day is nice but I don't think I need it.
I have already 2 healing abilities (Asimar lay of hands that I use to inappropriately heal the cleric when he was down(I messed up his neck feathers) and Hexblade curse) and the ability to save from falling in battle.
I am fine with the healing for now(we will buy magic items for it) and I am going to make the cleric(he also want me to cast for him) cast high level aid on us and into a spell storing ring every night (I will be able to extend it).

What is really tempting is the +1 AC.
At least I have a shield and Shield(20/25 at level 7 is nice).

Just for clarity, both Second Wind and Action Surge are short rest resources not long rest, but I understand the wanting to get the high level features part. As for Spell Sniper, it's a bit redundant as the wand you have ignores half cover, so by having Spell Sniper you're making it worse than a Rod of the Pact Keeper and getting a feat that is 2/3s redundant to you (and with distant spell, entirely redundant).

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-15, 09:47 AM
Just for clarity, both Second Wind and Action Surge are short rest resources not long rest, but I understand the wanting to get the high level features part. As for Spell Sniper, it's a bit redundant as the wand you have ignores half cover, so by having Spell Sniper you're making it worse than a Rod of the Pact Keeper and getting a feat that is 2/3s redundant to you (and with distant spell, entirely redundant).

I get what you say. I will see how it goes and if I will not meet with a lot of 3/4 cover like we have half cover I will look for a new thing.
(BTW, the only reason I don't have a rod of the Pact keeper right now is because I wasn't able to find it in the magic market at character creation).

Our warlock have two rods(a +1 and +2) as feels like he have no spell slots (he is level 9, two higher then most of the party so he will have a lot of time until a level up. We are at floor 5 of the dungeon of the mad mage and the DM said we are over leveled. The plan is to be level 10 at floor 10+-).

Maybe he will agree for a trade.