PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Adventure Conversion Help

raineym
2019-07-14, 10:02 AM
I'm thinking of converting the old D&D 2e adventure series Eye of Pain, Eye of Doom, and Eye to Eye to 5e and the conversion part is not the problem. The problem I'm having is the wide disparity in CRs of the creatures in the adventures between editions and where to set the adventures, CR-wise, in my campaign.

For those that don't know these adventures, it is a series of adventures featuring the cunning and deadly beholder and its beholder-kin.

For instance, just in the first adventure alone, Eye of Pain, an adventure set of 4th-8th level PCs, you have CR 1/2 and CR 0 monsters in Violet Fungi, Shriekers, and Gas Spores, then jump directly to the CR 14 Death Tyrant.

According to the tables in Xanathar's Guide to Everything, an encounter with a single CR 14 Death Tyrant should roughly be for a group of 4 12th-level PCs. If that's the case, then the CR 1/2 and 0 creatures would not be a challenge for the PCs at that level.

Eye of Doom has a lot of NPCs so that will not be a problem to convert. Eye to Eye suffers from the same issues as Eye of Pain, with things like bats, fire beetles, centipedes, spiders, and stirges.

I guess what I'm asking is how do I bridge the gap of the creature's CRs while keeping the original feel of the adventures?

Spectrulus
2019-07-14, 11:16 AM
One of our fellow forumites did something like this not long ago.

Check out: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?540370-Red-Hand-of-Doom-5e-Conversion-Guide-Spoilers-WIP-PEACH&highlight=Red+hand+of+doom

Should help you a lot.