PDA

View Full Version : Bag of Devouring extra planar creature vs Ancient Dragon....what shouldn't it eat?

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-07-14, 10:36 AM
I just occurred to me that thanks to Polymorph I can feed some pretty wicked creatures to a bag of devouring. At low levels feeding orcs to it and cleaning up bad guys I never thought about how tough the creature at the other side of the bag is.

what's going to happen though if I work a big bad through its Legendary Saves and I feed an Ancient White Dragon at maybe 1/2 hit points to this thing? Will a Lich with teleport stand a chance of getting out of the extra planar creature's stomach?

As DM I would think some of it would be left to plot device. Something like, "the Dragon Killed rolled a 90% and killed the creature in the bag! Now he's finally found a way to come back and get you thanks to making a deal with Azreal!"

Or something.

Great Dragon
2019-07-14, 10:43 AM
IiRC

There was a Dragon magazine that had a dimension of what was basically interdimensional Gargantuan Otyughs that had the Bag of Devouring was it's mouths

I suppose that the dimension was a Demi-Plane in the Astral, so escape was possible...

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-07-14, 02:43 PM
IiRC

There was a Dragon magazine that had a dimension of what was basically interdimensional Gargantuan Otyughs that had the Bag of Devouring was it's mouths

I suppose that the dimension was a Demi-Plane in the Astral, so escape was possible...

That's a neat idea. I wonder how to best stat the beast on the other end.

I love the bag of devouring and eventually what's on the other end is bound to come up.

No brains
2019-07-14, 03:04 PM
If the DM chooses to have the devoured creatures die from what is effectively infinite acid damage, then Black Dragons, Mimics, and Clay Golems can all survive in and potentially escape from a Bag of Devouring.

Great Dragon
2019-07-15, 05:14 AM
That's a neat idea. I wonder how to best stat the beast on the other end.

I love the bag of devouring and eventually what's on the other end is bound to come up.

Google tells me that the Ecology of the Bag of Devouring is in Dragon #271.
I'm still trying to confirm.