PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can a familiar teach you a new language?

ArcanaCapra
2019-07-14, 11:47 AM
More specifically, can one of the exclusive Pact of the Chain familiars be a proper instructor and teach it's master a new language? Such as an imp teaching infernal, a sprite teaching sylvan, etc.

Sindal
2019-07-14, 12:06 PM
The answer to this is probably :If your DM says so, yes. The only requirements for learning a language by the books is that you have enough down time, can pay for the tuitorage materials and that you find a suitable teacher. If your Dm thinks your imp is 'a suitable teacher' then woohey. That's honeslty a cute idea. Getting a familiar but it's the bookish type.

Some familiars can't even speak tho, like the psudodragon.

Chronos
2019-07-14, 02:53 PM
Yeah, you'd still need downtime to do it, but an Imp (say) knows Infernal, and sharing a telepathic bond with a student should make it a lot easier to teach, even given that the imp doesn't have any particular proficiency at teaching.

Misterwhisper
2019-07-14, 06:11 PM
I don’t see why they couldn’t, given time.

There are rules for learning languages, your imp is just as smart as a human or the like, and they are proficient in it.

Kane0
2019-07-14, 06:24 PM
Check with your DM but yeah if they know the language and are smart enough, you just need to spend the downtime.

Sigreid
2019-07-14, 07:06 PM
The only mark I can see against is teaching is a separate skill from teaching. It wouldn't be unreasonable for a DM to rule it takes longer because the imp doesn't really know how to teach.

Chronos
2019-07-14, 07:30 PM
But again, that's mitigated by the telepathic connection. Speaking as a teacher, my job would be a whole lot easier if I were connected telepathically to my students. In fact, a lot of the specialized skill involved in teaching comes down to being able to fake that telepathy.

Maelynn
2019-07-15, 04:41 AM
Learning a language works best if you can immerse yourself into an environment where the language is spoken actively. Interacting with the locals makes you learn so much faster than you could in a classroom.

As such, I'd propose to the player that the Imp take them to Baator for about a month.