PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Kairos Fatewaver, Greater Daemon of Tzeentch: A Homebrew Demon Prince

Uvexar
2019-07-14, 04:37 PM
Disclaimer: I have no idea how to go about calculating Big Bird's CR. Given that monsters typically have a CR lower than their number of HD, but also that Kairos is a demon lord and a psion, I figured setting it to his HD would be sufficient. You will know if you want to pit your players against him.

Kairos Fateweaver, Greater Daemon of Tzeentch

I've been on a bit of a Warhammer 40k binge lately, and decided I would put my limited ability to perceive the passing of time considerable interest in creating monsters for 3.5th edition to good use.

I used the Expanded Psionics Handbook, Complete Psionics, Epic Level Handbook, and the 3.5e SRD to create this monster. The final print issue of Dragon (#359) provided the rules for creating demon lords, so if there's any unbalance in Kairos' SLAs or damage reduction, it's their fault. I also wrote it in Outlook, so some of the formatting might be gimped. I certainly wasn't going to go back and re-italicize every single spell and power.

With my liability excised, here's Kairos Fateweaver:

Kairos Fateweaver, Daemon Prince of Tzeentch
CR 30
CE Huge outsider (chaos, evil, extraplanar, tanar'ri)
Intiative +11 (+7 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Senses Darkvision 100 ft, true seeing 50 ft
Languages All, telepathy 300 ft.
AC 52 (-2 size, +7 Dex, +20 natural armor, +27 deflection); touch 32, flat-footed 45
HP 30d8 + 270 (495 hp); DR 20/cold iron, epic, and good; fast healing 6
Immune fire, electricity, poison, sleep, mind-affecting
Resist acid 30, cold 30, force 30
Vulnerable positive energy 10
SR 43
Saves Fort +26/Ref +22/Will +29
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speed 40 ft, fly 120 ft (poor, hover)
Melee Staff of the Oracle +47/+42/+37/+32 (2d6+13 magical bludgeoning plus 3d6 electricity and 3d6 force, plus Curse of the Oracle)

Or 2 +43 bites (2d6+19 magical slashing and piercing) and

2 +39 talons (1d8+13 magical slashing)
Space/Reach 15 ft/15 ft
BAB +30
Grapple +51
Attack Options corrupt spell-like ability 3/day, Curse of the Oracle, flyby attack, power attack, quicken spell-like ability 3/day
Special Actions Miracles of Tzeentch, Oracle of Tzeentch
Psion (Kineticist) 30 (ML 30; 1d20 + 30 to overcome SR or PR; 362+450 power points, cost limit 28):

9th level (DC 64)---stygian conflagration, tornado blast, reality revision

8th level (DC 63)---bended reality, greater psionic teleport, true metabolism

7th level (DC 62)---eyes of the basilisk, energy conversion, decerebrate, fate of one

6th level (DC 61)---temporal acceleration, psionic disintegrate, energy barrage

5th level (DC 60)---energy current, major psionic creation, cranial deluge

4th level (DC 59)---intellect fortress, gemstone breath, psionic freedom of movement, psionic dominate

3rd level (DC 58)---mental barrier, timehop, telekinetic force

2nd level (DC 57)---energy missile, amethyst burst, crystalstorm

1st level (DC 56)---control flames, entangling ectoplasm, vigor, astral construct
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 24):

At-will---astral projection, blasphemy (DC 30), chaos hammer (DC 26), desecrate, detect good, detect law, flame strike (DC 28), greater dispel magic, greater teleport (DC 30), plane shift (DC 30), shapechange, telekinesis (DC 28), unhallow (DC 28), unholy aura (DC 31), unholy blight (DC 27)

3/day---chain lightning (DC 29), symbol of insanity (DC 31), word of chaos (DC 30)

1/day---maw of chaos (DC 32), gate
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abilities Str 36 Dex 24 Con 28 Int 100 Wis 34 Cha 36
Special Abilities Curse of the Oracle, Many-Headed, Miracles of Tzeentch, Oracle of Tzeentch, Warp Daemon
Feats Burrowing Power, Dark Speech, Empower Power, Epic Psionic Focus, Expanded Knowledge (psionic dominate, fate of one, astral construct), Extend Power, Fast Healing 2, Flyby Attack, Hover, Improved Initiative, Improved Manifestation, Mindsight, Overchannel, Quicken Spell-Like Ability, Corrupt Spell-Like Ability, Power Attack
Skills All skills except Craft, Profession, and Knowledge (local, architecture and engineering) 34; Knowledge (local) 12, Knowledge (architecture and engineering) 12
Possessions combat gear plus Staff of the Oracle (+4 enhancement bonus, deals +3d6 electricity and +3d6 force damage on hit, plus Curse of the Oracle)
Curse of the Oracle (Su): Any creature hit by an attack from the Staff of the Oracle must make a DC 24 Will saving throw or be cursed, as by the bestow curse spell. The save DC for this effect is based on the wielder's Charisma.
Many-Headed (Ex): Kairos cannot be flanked. He receives two rolls for any check or saving throw involving eyesight, such as Perception checks against an opponent's Stealth check or a saving throw against a medusa's gaze. If Kairos ever fails one of his saving throws to avoid being blinded, the head that made the roll is blinded. If a head is ever blinded, Kairos loses this property until the blindness is removed. If a head is otherwise removed (such as by a critical hit with a vorpal weapon), Kairos loses this property permanently.
Miracles of Tzeentch (Su): 3/day; As a full-round action, Kairos produces a miraculous effect (roll 1d6):

1: Power Unlimited - Kairos regains 99 psionic power points.

2-3: Divine Majesty - Kairos casts a single spell from the cleric domain lists of Time, Chaos, or Fate domains. Intelligence is his spellcasting ability for the spell, and his caster level is 30.

4-5: Thousand Cuts - 999 miniature force projectiles spread out from Kairos' upheld talons to slash at all those within range. Kairos may select up to 999 individual creatures within 200 feet of himself, dividing the projectiles between them in whatever manner he chooses. Each projectile deals 1 force damage, and counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Armor bonuses of +3 or greater with a magical origin (like mage armor), armor with enhancement bonuses of the same value, or a deflection bonus of the same value, dissipates these projectiles harmlessly.

6: Fate-Changer - Kairos produces a gigantic beam of energy from his staff, ripping through his enemies. All creatures in a 15-foot wide, 100-foot-long line must succeed on a DC 60 Reflex saving throw or take 15d6 force damage.
Oracle of Tzeentch (Sp): At-will; as the spell foresight, except it grants a +10 insight bonus to AC and Reflex saves.
Warp Daemon (Su): Should Kairos be slain outside his plane of origin, he will instantly reform there, unable to exit it for 999 years.

Tactics

Kairos Fateweaver is a Lord of Change among Lords of Change, and as such he will not suffer any disturbance in his plotting for the greater glory of his master. He is also completely bat**** insane, just as likely to hurl spells and powers among his allies as his enemies if he thinks it will benefit him.

Kairos begins battles with the biggest guns he can muster. Typically he will have power points enough to manifest tornado blast and stygian conflagration in excess if he wishes. But his enemies are typically vast in number, and as such he needs to fortify himself. Therefore, he will retreat and buff up as soon as he is able.

The rest of the battle will proceed as Kairos brings in allies with gate or astral construct. Manifesting psionic dominate will allow him to rip the biggest bags of meat out of the enemy lines and hurl them upon their former friends.

Kairos typically never uses a Miracle of Tzeentch unless he feels he can spend a full-round action to do so. If producing Divine Majesty, Kairos may select time stop to give himself more time to buff up or retreat a bit. If Thousand Cuts appears, he will direct the bolts as best suits the battle. For example, in combat with a large horde, the bolts will spread out wide, taking out enough enemies to limit the action economy of his attackers. If fighting just a few foes, he will attempt to overwhelm the one with the least-magical gear in a flurry of magical darts. But due to the nature of these force bolts, it is best suited for crowd control.

Should Kairos get to produce Fate-Changer, he will direct it at the biggest, meatiest foe he can find, regardless of the allies among him. (He may also proclaim a truth-and-lie from each of his heads, cementing his connecting with Tzeentch.) However, the damage can be entirely avoided with a Reflex saving throw, so creatures with guaranteed saves or high Reflex modifiers can consider themselves immune.

If forced into melee, Kairos batters his foes with the Staff of the Oracle, possibly performing flyby attacks as he swoops over the battlefield. If he has time, he will construct an elaborate curse upon a single and persistent foe.

Allies

Kairos Fateweaver fits in among most other demons, but vrocks are especially inclined to flock to him. Mortal worshipers of the Chaos God of Change (or whoever else you decide is controlling Kairos) will provide melee support and, potentially, additional buffs and healing. But since he is harmed by positive energy, any cure wounds spells will have to be kept to the most powerful forms, in order to offset the damage.

Final Thoughts

This is probably the single most annoying thing I've ever done for D&D, involving two days of hopping between sourcebooks, websites and online forums. But I think it was worth it. Though I'm not sure at all about the Challenge Rating, and the Miracles may need some development, I think Kairos is an excellent foe for any epic-level party to face.

All constructive criticism is welcome, especially since this is my first publicly-posted 3.5e homebrew monster.

Debihuman
2019-08-24, 02:10 AM
A daemon and a demon are not the same thing. A daemon is the generic for Yugoloth. A demon is the generic for Tanar’ri. You seem to be using the terms interchangeably but they aren’t the same.

Where is the deflection bonus to AC coming from? Insight bonus seems to be missing as well.

You should have written all the special abilities up as nobody has time to look up whether you used the right modifiers nor do we necessarily have access to the supplements you used.

I hate this stat block because it makes it harder to assess monsters. The original SRD stat block is more complete for that reason.

CR is too low because it has Psion and Spell-like abilities. Intelligence 100 is a problem. It’s throwing off any reasonable DCs.

Just my 2 cents.

Zecrin
2019-08-24, 11:58 PM
I'll second that intelligence 100 is a problem. First, such a creature would be incomprehensibly intelligent. Boccob has an intelligence score of 50 (the highest I know of) and Vecna only has a 43. Players could not even hope to engage a being so vastly intelligent and a DM could hardly begin to devise tactics for such a creature. Aside from fluff though, having such a high score mechanically undercuts the monster. As far as I can tell, Kairos can just timehop every member of the party save one, kill or dominate that one easily, then rinse and repeat. To my knowledge there's no countermeasures to timehop aside from the will save, which is currently near impossible to make. Cool monster though!

Uvexar
2019-09-02, 03:01 AM
A daemon and a demon are not the same thing. A daemon is the generic for Yugoloth. A demon is the generic for Tanar’ri. You seem to be using the terms interchangeably but they aren’t the same.

Just my 2 cents.

Daemon is just the term that 40k uses, so I use it here. It no longer means "yugoloth" in most circles anyway.

Per the rules in the issue of Dragon, demon lords can have a mix of natural armor and deflection bonuses. In all his art, Kairos doesn't look that heavily armored, so I figured representing his daemon strength as a supernatural toughness was fine.

Also, if you scroll down a bit, you can see I wrote up all the special abilities. I didn't bold them to make them pop out because I that point I no longer had the will to go back and make formatting corrections.

But I agree that the 100 Intelligence was excessive. I wanted to keep it "in-theme" with Tzeentch, but I'll look at cranking it down.

Uvexar
2019-09-02, 03:09 AM
I'll second that intelligence 100 is a problem. First, such a creature would be incomprehensibly intelligent. Boccob has an intelligence score of 50 (the highest I know of) and Vecna only has a 43. Players could not even hope to engage a being so vastly intelligent and a DM could hardly begin to devise tactics for such a creature. Aside from fluff though, having such a high score mechanically undercuts the monster. As far as I can tell, Kairos can just timehop every member of the party save one, kill or dominate that one easily, then rinse and repeat. To my knowledge there's no countermeasures to timehop aside from the will save, which is currently near impossible to make. Cool monster though!

Thank you. I thought the 100 Intelligence would be fine, since Kairos is supposed to be absolutely insane and would probably only benefit from the mechanical boost to his psionic abilities in combat, but I acknowledge it was excessive even for that.

Bohandas
2019-09-07, 10:16 AM
I'll second that intelligence 100 is a problem. First, such a creature would be incomprehensibly intelligent. Boccob has an intelligence score of 50 (the highest I know of) and Vecna only has a 43.

Call of Cthulhu D20 includes a higher intelligence score than Boccob's. Nyarlathotep's intelligence is a whopping 75, which is still a far cry off from 100