PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Close combat blaster with BFS?

Erfar
2019-07-15, 02:07 AM
So, I like some anime Tropes and one of them is "fighter" with Big Freaking Sword that make hudge devestation swings and earthquaking strikes. And My question is - can I somehow make charaker with Twoheanded Sword that make mighty strikes in some area.

My stats roll 15 15 15 15 13 8
Level for generation: 7

https://juegalatinoblog.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/154150-aleni.jpg

Nhorianscum
2019-07-15, 03:23 AM
This is pretty much Stone Sorcerer's shtic. Just with a 2 hander instead of the usual sword and board.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-15, 04:00 AM
Sorcadin with GWF, GWM Firebrand Greatsword.

Big smites with big sword.

Maybe hexblade and EA for super crits

Erfar
2019-07-15, 04:21 AM
This is pretty much Stone Sorcerer's shtic. Just with a 2 hander instead of the usual sword and board.

but smites still hiting one target =(

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-15, 04:27 AM

So twin BB?

I never saw rules for cleave or swiping attacks.

Maybe a castom sword from the DM?

Maybe spirit Guardians fluffed as spinning with the BFS?

Erfar
2019-07-15, 04:37 AM
So twin BB?

I never saw rules for cleave or swiping attacks.

Maybe a castom sword from the DM?

Maybe spirit Guardians fluffed as spinning with the BFS?
Most close is:
Maneuver Sweeping Attack (but it's very limited)
Ranger Whirlwind (but I think ranger is not right choice for heavy plated swordman)

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-15, 04:48 AM
Most close is:
Maneuver Sweeping Attack (but it's very limited)
Ranger Whirlwind (but I think ranger is not right choice for heavy plated swordman)

You can always just split the enemies with the BFS.

The Ranger Whirlwind looks good. You can go Barb/Ranger and just smash.

It requires high level.

Sweeping attack looks like a poor man GFB.

Just say you have a Flaming BFS. And get stuff to buff your attacks as much as you can.
Protector Asimar, some why of ability mod to damage, Hexblade curse extra...

Solunaris
2019-07-15, 05:13 AM
Alright this is gonna sound silly but hear me out; College of Valor Bard. Not sure on the Race you are imagining, but we'll go with Half Elf for ultimate cheese here. Stats will be as follows:

STR: 16
DEX: 15
CON: 16
INT: 8
WIS: 13
CHA: 17

With this build we get Medium Armor and the ability to hold a giant sword for smashing. At 4th level we could take a feat but honestly adding +2 to Strength is probably more important. With the standard options taken care of we can move to the real meat and potatoes here; the spells. Obviously we want all the AoE spells that center on the character; we'll just fluff the somatic components to be slamming the sword to the ground.

Sadly, the only AoE that fits this description for the Bard is a first level spell; Thunderwave. But, we didn't pick Bard for Thunderwave, we picked it for the sheer cheese of taking the capstones of other classes that are disguised as spells. Specifically, we want two Paladin spells that will make any knight cry at how you are so much better than them at being a Paladin. You'll have to wait until 10th level to get them but when you get them it'll complete your character's look and feel.

Holy Weapon and Destructive Wave. These two spells are the big daddy spells we want and will make you an absolute monster to face down in melee. You'll have two attacks like a real Paladin while being able to push out tons of damage on every attack with Holy Weapon. And then when you need that extra little push to clear a mob wave you can slam that holy weapon down and cause it to explode both damaging everything around you and blinding them. Or, if you really need to clear the room and have too many friends close by instead of burning your Holy Weapon you slam the sword to the ground and unleash the Destructive Wave.

Any other spells you get are just icing on the cake. Take healing or support spells but once you get these two you should cast at least one every fight. As a bard if you are willing to burn higher level slots you should be able to do so eventually. Or, if you want to be able to do a bit more in close range combat without being made of paper mache just play a Paladin and suck it up until 17th level.

Nhorianscum
2019-07-15, 08:13 AM

While Heightened Wrathful smite/compelled duel is one hell of a drug...

This is still a full progression sorc with 4th level casting able to synthesize slots up to 5th level?

Quickened spell still works and we can spam (and I do mean spam) spells with aoe blast some of which literally explode the ground.

So yes. BFS breaking the ground + anime "behind you" telefragging.

Crucius
2019-07-15, 08:28 AM
There are a lot of good ideas in this thread already, both in flavor and mechanically, but allow me to combine some of it.

Note: it is a bit of a smörgåsbord of books and sources, so ask the DM first yeah?

For flavor I'd take Stone Sorcerer (UA). They get a pseudo second attack (in a reaction which is way cooler in my opinion) and get smite spells and some nice defensive boosts. Quicken spell helps you with casting cool AoE spells AND attack in your turn.
Mechanical: Solunaris is right, THE spell you want is Destructive Wave. But instead of taking all those Bard levels, might I direct your attention to the Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica. There they list specific guild backgrounds that add spells to your class' spell list to choose from. Under Gruul, Destructive Wave is one of them.

Like I said, quite a fustercluck of stuff, but that's how I would go about it. If I had a very lenient DM. Which I don't :P

Bobthewizard
2019-07-15, 08:28 AM
You could go with an Eldritch Knight with a Greatsword and GWM. Reflavor the spells as if they are coming from a swing of the Greatsword. Here are some spells that would work.

Cantrips – Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade, Thunderclap, Sword Burst
Level 1 – Earth Tremor, Thunderwave, Absorb Elements, Shield
Level 2 – Shatter, Scorching Ray, Warding Wind, Misty Step
Level 3 – Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Thunderstep, Tidal Wave
Level 4 – Wall of Fire, Fire Shield, Banishment, Storm Sphere

So at level 7 I'd take Booming Blade, Sword Burst, Earth tremor, Thunderwave, Shield, Absorb elements and Misty Step.

With those stats, I'd consider going base human to turn all those 15's into 16's. One ASI to GWM and one to STR.

Zetakya
2019-07-15, 08:31 AM
No mention of Sword Burst?

Cloud of Daggers, Thunderclap, Thunderwave, Earth Tremor, Thunderstep

Also, Shadow Blade.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-07-15, 08:35 AM
The Titan Sorcerer from my Guide to Greatness is possibly exactly what you want. They're built around a new Booming Blade style cantrip, Titan Strike, that's literally "hit them so hard they're knocked back." At 6th level you get to follow that up by rushing and attacking again, and at 14th you cause earthquakes around you every time you cast a spell. I've also got a Cleave feat.

Otherwise, a Hunter Ranger might actually be good for you. Horde Breaker and Whirlwind Attack are both thematically and mechanically great, and Zephyr Strike and, eventually, Steel Wind Strike are gorgeous too.

Trickery
2019-07-15, 08:52 AM
No mention of Sword Burst?

Cloud of Daggers, Thunderclap, Thunderwave, Earth Tremor, Thunderstep

Also, Shadow Blade.

Yep. Just take these sorts of abilities on a Hexblade warlock. It's basically the Anime protagonist class. If you play a half elf Hexblade blade pact warlock, you can be a lithe teenager whose fighting strength is tied to how inspiring he his (charisma), can summon an oversized claymore to attack with, and can use AoE spells and abilities to supplement your swordplay. And there are some abilities you can take to make it less squishy.

Of course, there's nothing stopping you from including two levels of fighter for plate, great weapon fighting, and action surge.