PDA

View Full Version : A Wish for a Book of Vile Darkness ( in game )

Conradine
2019-07-15, 09:42 AM
Asking for an artifact using a Wish is asking for doom usually. But I read that there are several copies of the BoED and at least six of them are correct ( and one both correct and complete ). Since the flawed ones had the power to send readers into the Lower Planes I guess all these copies had some power, I just don't know if the same of the original.

I quote the description, for clarity:

THE BOOK OF VILE DARKNESS

The original book of vile darkness was a scroll penned by aVasharan spellcaster millennia ago. It contained his wickedthoughts and the terrible knowledge that he had gained through experimentation and study. In just a few thousand words, he recorded malevolent ideas and concepts so vile thatto this day they have never occurred to another, not even the foulest soul. Years later, the scroll was discovered by a cleric of
Nerull. She added to it, tripling its length by recording her knowledge of dark gods, sacrifice, and evil divine magic. Many other evil priests learned from her scrolls (for the manuscript soon became too long for just one scroll), adding bits of knowledge from their own polluted minds and abominable experiments. Some writers even asked questions of summoned fiends and recorded their words directly.
Eventually the collected works fell into the hands of a genocidal wizard and warlord named Vecna. He took the scrolls and added some of his own discoveries to them. After he died and rose as a lich, Vecna transcribed the scrolls into a bound book, creating its cover from the flesh of a human face and the bones of a demon, magically transformed into a dull metal binding. It is said that the strange symbols on the cover are understandable only by those who have read the book in its entirety, and that the sudden realization of the utter wickedness that they represent—a darkness so deep that it shames hell itself—is why the book is so highly prized. Cultists loyal to Erythnul held the book in a dim vault for many years, using it as a final initiation into their innermost circle. A few copies were made during this time, although most of them were incomplete or flawed in some way. The errors contained in these lesser copies usually caused the reader to be drawn onto one of the Lower Planes, never to be seen again.
Thieves stole the original during a great war, and the book passed through many hands after that. According to some records, the demon lord Baalzebul kept the book in his personal library for a time, adding a few pages of his own. Six complete copies are known to exist, at least one of which was made after Baalzebul’s alteration. At least three times that number of flawed copies or outright fakes also exist. These books are often found in evil temples, dark libraries, and the hands of wicked collectors. Vecna’s original still exists as well, and it is a prize coveted by almost every priest of a dark god.
The book is a fantastic reference work of evil deities, black magic, sacrifice, and forbidden secrets. Its lore is so potent and so dark that nonevil creatures that read its contents are often corrupted to evil through defilement rather than temptation. Once a mind has absorbed the knowledge in this book, the attached soul is so polluted that there is no recourse other than to turn to evil.
Unlike its good counterpart, the book of exalted deeds, the book of vile darkness does not mysteriously disappear after it is read. An evil character is likely to keep it around for reference, although not even the darkest-hearted villain peruses its pages haphazardly. Powerful fiends watch over the book, because where it goes, evil power grows.

So, here the questions:

1- In your opinion the correct copies of the BoED, if read, grants the same effects of the original?

2- Could a flawed or incomplete copy ( not an outright fake ) be corrected through divinations ( like Legend Lore )?

3- Wishing to read a single time, only the caster, the original BoED is too much for a Wish?

4- Wishing to have a new, complete and correct copy of the book is too much for a Wish?

5- Wishing to read a single time, only the caster, a complete and correct copy of BoED is too much for a Wish?

6- Asking for the location of the least protected, easier to recover / stole complete copy of the BoED in existence is a reasonable Wish?

Mike Miller
2019-07-15, 11:26 AM
Every time you said BoED, you meant BoVD, right? You are only asking about one book?

GrayDeath
2019-07-15, 11:46 AM
Unless you mean the Book of Exalted Darkness, which is from another System entirely, I assume as the poster above me, that you intended to write BoVD every Time you wrote BoED.

As for your (grammatically slightly strange) questions:

1.: If you mean, is it similarly likely that a reader of the Copy is irredeemably corrupted to Evil, then yes. As I see no other "effect" in your citation the book is supposed to have. As the errors will likely also put you on the lower planes, that might not be a good idea. ^^

2.: If the one doing so is really really good a close approximation might be doable, but since Vecna wrote part of it, and you cant find out what Vecna thinks/thought/etc, not a complete one, via this way.#

3.: I dont think so, but then again, why would you? Unless you are Evil already, there is little reason to do so, and if youa re Evil already, there is no effect from reading it that I can see (mechanically that is).

4.: As its an Artefact, yes.

5.: As 3.

6.: Yep.

Psyren
2019-07-15, 11:52 AM
So, here the questions:

1- In your opinion the correct copies of the BoED, if read, grants the same effects of the original?

2- Could a flawed or incomplete copy ( not an outright fake ) be corrected through divinations ( like Legend Lore )?

3- Wishing to read a single time, only the caster, the original BoED is too much for a Wish?

4- Wishing to have a new, complete and correct copy of the book is too much for a Wish?

5- Wishing to read a single time, only the caster, a complete and correct copy of BoED is too much for a Wish?

6- Asking for the location of the least protected, easier to recover / stole complete copy of the BoED in existence is a reasonable Wish?

1) What effects are those? Everything in the sidebar you quoted is fluff, and the contents of the book are purposely left very vague (e.g. "black magic") so that the DM can stick any ritual or dark secret they want in the pages.

2) Unlikely. The original was finalized by the God of Secrets after all, divinations are likely something he planned for. Indeed, the more dangerous flawed copies are probably the result of some hapless caster trying to "fill in the blanks" this way.

3-6) Wishing for almost anything artifact-related is unsafe. Note that unsafe doesn't mean you're guaranteed to end up with a negative outcome, it just means there is danger. A caster with contingencies like clones or a phylactery might be fine taking the risk.

Troacctid
2019-07-15, 12:05 PM
You can always wish for an unlisted effect. You just have to accept the risk that comes with it. Personally, if a player wished for this, I would say they get a copy of the 3e sourcebook of the same name. Either that or teleport them (and only them, not their gear) to the book's current location and see if they can defeat the current owner's security measures.

Again, as above. This is outside the normal bounds of the spell, so the wish would be fulfilled in an ironic way somehow. I'd give them a print-on-demand copy of the 3e sourcebook.

Safer than the first wish but still unsafe. The teleportation option, for example, would probably drop you in a less dangerous lair.

I would treat this as duplicating the 8th level wizard spell discern location. The casting would presumably fail because it requires you to have touched the object you are searching for.

Conradine
2019-07-15, 12:37 PM
Every time you said BoED, you meant BoVD, right? You are only asking about one book?

Yes, sorry. My italian keeps popping up.

The main effect of the Book of Vile Darkness ( I kept thinking "Evil Darkness" ) is to level up once a divine spellcaster who reads it. And the +1 to Wisdom.

Psyren
2019-07-21, 11:42 AM
The main effect of the Book of Vile Darkness ( I kept thinking "Evil Darkness" ) is to level up once a divine spellcaster who reads it. And the +1 to Wisdom.

Yes - to get this they must "fully consume the contents" (DMG 277.) What those contents are is deliberately left vague as mentioned above.

It's a safe bet that some (if not all) of the specific means to become a Lich can be found inside, and probably some evil outsider Truenames. Whatever evil lore the DM needs to drive a plot is probably in there, whether it's info the BBEG needs or info the players need (at a cost) in order to stop them.

denthor
2019-07-21, 02:59 PM
Your wish is to much exception:

To find the easiest least protected book. That would give you a find the path spell. Since it is a wish I would seem it so long as you persue you get to follow.

magic9mushroom
2019-07-22, 05:00 AM
I will note that Wishing to be teleported to a BoVD is within the abilities of Wish. Wish is really good at teleportation ("A wish can lift one creature per caster level from anywhere on any plane and place those creatures anywhere else on any plane regardless of local conditions."), so much so that "teleported to artifact's current owner" is actually suggested as a partial fulfilment of "wish for artifact" (explicitly outside Wish's capabilities). There might be an argument against reaching the original BoVD this way, but common Books of Vile Darkness with the effects in the DMG are minor artifacts* like Staves of the Magi (the exact example used for "teleport to current owner").

Of course, Wish is a blunt instrument, and while Wish brute-forces through most teleport-blockers with the "regardless of local conditions" phrase, it won't protect you against the bazillion booby-traps the person who currently owns it likely has rigged for this very scenario (if they didn't, someone else would already have stolen it this way).

*Incidentally, this contains the answer for question #1, "do the copies have the +XP effect". Yes, they do. The +XP effect is listed under minor artifacts, which are explicitly noted to be non-unique - ergo, at least some of the copies are minor artifacts with that ability.

Psyren
2019-07-22, 08:31 AM
It's true that Wish can take you anywhere. "Take me to the BoVD" isn't a location though, you'd have to find it first via some other means (possibly another Wish.)

Andezzar
2019-07-22, 09:35 AM
It's true that Wish can take you anywhere. "Take me to the BoVD" isn't a location though, you'd have to find it first via some other means (possibly another Wish.)If you have an appropriate description of the location you probably don't need wish, you could teleport there instead.

Psyren
2019-07-22, 09:57 AM
If you have an appropriate description of the location you probably don't need wish, you could teleport there instead.

Wish is useful for punching through local conditions, for example it would defeat a dimensional lock or forbiddance. It also works across planes, which is likely to be needed for tracking down an artifact that is frequently found in the private collection of various fiends or evil deities, or even powerful evil spellcasters who would stash it in a demiplane etc.

the_david
2019-07-22, 10:08 AM
This one falls in the catagory of "ask your DM". I can't tell you what decision a DM would or should take. Some DMs will let you find out the hard way. Some settings won't have a BoVD. Maybe your character has never heard of this tome.

I love the idea of this wish, but if you wish for an artifact I'd corrupt the wish in some way. As I understand it, there's the original with the pages added by Baalzebul. There's one copy of that version, and 5 without the added pages. 18 more flawed copies or fakes. That's 25 books in total.
I'd roll for it. That would mean a 28% chance to get the genuine article, and a 72% chance to get an incomplete copy or a fake. It doesn't matter how you phrase the wish, as this is something a wish is not supposed to do. The owner might get pissed that you took his book and attempt to get it back.

Psyren
2019-07-22, 11:00 AM
As I understand it, there's the original with the pages added by Baalzebul. There's one copy of that version, and 5 without the added pages. 18 more flawed copies or fakes. That's 25 books in total.
I'd roll for it. That would mean a 28% chance to get the genuine article, and a 72% chance to get an incomplete copy or a fake.

I would define "incomplete" as "missing the added pages." In which case, your odds of finding the real deal drop all the way down to 8% - i.e. you would need a lot of luck or a deity's/patron's aid.