PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Tool proficiencies; overlap and unique domain

Zhorn
2019-07-15, 09:51 AM
So recently a few of my players have taken up some tool proficiencies and I'm trying to work out what is specific to one, and what would be shared between others. Some instances, it seem logical that one skill could do most of the things of another, and sometimes all of then, removing and need to choose the 'lesser' of the two skills.

Examples:
Leatherworker's vs Cobblers; it is reasonable for Leatherworkers to make boots, or because Cobbler's tools is a proficiency then boots are strictly off limits to Leatherworker's tools?
Alchemy and Herbalism; is there a set of potions that are the exclusive domain of one over the other?
Woodcarvers vs Carpenters; is there a need to have too different skill sets between these two?
Tinkerers vs Thieves tools; At what point is it unreasonable for a tinkerer to unlock or disarm a mechanical lock/device?
etc, etc

The following is a list of the tool proficiencies in the PHB, and I'm curious who has what opinions of what one skill can do that none of the others should be able to replicate (yes, there will be some glaringly obvious ones, but I wanted to include a mostly complete list... ignoring instruments, gaming sets and vehicles).

Alchemist’s supplies
Brewer’s supplies
Calligrapher's supplies
Carpenter’s tools
Cartographer’s tools
Cobbler’s tools
Cook’s utensils
Glassblower’s tools
Jeweler’s tools
Leatherworker’s tools
Mason’s tools
Painter’s supplies
Potter’s tools
Smith’s tools
Tinker’s tools
Weaver’s tools
Woodcarver's tools
Disguise kit
Forgery kit
Herbalism kit
Navigator’s tools
Poisoner’s kit
Thieves’ tools

Man_Over_Game
2019-07-15, 01:23 PM
This problem happens a lot, especially when you throw in the skill proficiencies.

Ask players to make an Ability Check (I.E. Intelligence)
They tell you what proficiencies they want to use for the relevant check. If they provide more than one, they get Advantage on their roll.
You tell them what proficiencies they suggested that will and will not be applicable, then they roll.

For example, someone could use Investigation and Medicine to examine bodies for clues as to how they died, when such things might normally fall under something like Survival.

For your specific question, it's important to have just enough overlap to make it so that both sides are equally applicable.

For example, the Leatherworker's Tools is a lot more versatile than Cobbler's Tools, so the Cobbler should have as many unique uses for it as possible.

However, Herbalist and Alchemist tools are both very similar and equal in power, so it'd be fine if they were interchangeable.

I think the best approach, though, is just to make everything be synergistic. Herbalist's Kit lets you gather and prepare plants to gain ingredients without them spoiling (maybe plant ingredients die after 1-4 days). Alchemist's Kit lets you make interesting concoctions, but it's difficult to get the supplies you need because they're rare or expensive. Maybe Herbalist's Kit can utilize a plant as a powerful bandage, but the Alchemist's Kit allows you to turn it into a salve that's more potent.

But all of this can just be duplicated by having the effect be based on the check made, and allowing two usable kits to provide Advantage. If multiple proficiencies are included, add +4 for every proficiency past the second.

For example, using an Alchemist's, Herbalist's, and Poisoner's kits all on the same check would grant Proficiency + 4 + Advantage, for a potentially lethal homemade poison.

LtPowers
2019-07-15, 02:07 PM
Xanathar's Guide to Everything contains more detailed descriptions of the various Artisan's Tools.

Specifically:

Leatherworkers' tools and cobbler's tools have a lot of overlap. A leatherworker could probably assemble a basic pair of slippers or moccasins, but you need a cobbler to get the best fit or for more professional-looking footwear.

An herbalism kit does not contain anything for ingredient processing beyond a mortar and pestle. You grind up the plants, optionally add some water, and administer or bottle the result. An alchemist combines ingredients, many of them inorganic and not (as) useful on their own, into new compounds using advanced chemical (or magical) techniques.

Woodcarvers' tools are for small items and detail work. They don't have any assembly tools like hammers or nails. Carpenters assemble large items from wood, up to and including houses; their tools aren't small enough to carve decorations or make arrows.

Tinker's tools bear almost no resemblance to a proper set of thieves' tools. Tinkers' tools are for repairing stuff, not picking locks.

Powers &8^]