PDA

View Full Version : Lawful Conscience

Emperor Ing
2007-10-09, 05:21 AM
I'm not sure if its been done before, but..

Using the binary translator I found in the internet, I decided to decode wat the Lawful Conscious is saying in #68 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0068.html).

BEHOLD!!!
•Ek

:smalleek: okay...dont ask.

Tempest Fennac
2007-10-09, 06:15 AM
I always assumed that the 1s and 0s were chosen randomly without any real regard for what they translated as due to it being a comparrison between law and chaos due to the numbers being binary as opposed to random words.

SmartAlec
2007-10-09, 06:39 AM
the Lawful Conscious

It's a Modron. :smallsmile: Or to be more exact, a Quadrone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modron_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29

Tempest Fennac
2007-10-09, 07:13 AM
Do you know what the Chaotic Conscience is? I can't find any information on what creatures are native to Limbo

SmartAlec
2007-10-09, 07:38 AM
Yup - it's a Slaad! :smalltongue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaad

DraPrime
2007-10-09, 07:55 AM
That's one happy slaad.

Lord Zentei
2007-10-09, 08:19 AM
I always assumed that the 1s and 0s were chosen randomly without any real regard for what they translated as due to it being a comparrison between law and chaos due to the numbers being binary as opposed to random words.

The Lawful Conscience speaking random gibberish? Gasp!

Of, course, this is Elan we're talking about... :smallwink:

Elanorea
2007-10-09, 08:27 AM
•Ek

Well... I'm sure that cast a lot of insight on the issue at hand.

ref
2007-10-09, 10:40 AM
It's indeed a very useful information about the situation at hand. Sadly, it's not in Common. :smallwink:

Zentei, your law is more like an extension of a more well known law, hehe.

Revlid
2007-10-09, 10:51 AM
I wasn't going to say anything - But it's conscience, not conscious (which refers to a state of self-awareness).

Lord Zentei
2007-10-09, 10:53 AM
I wasn't going to say anything - But it's conscience, not conscious (which refers to a state of self-awareness).

Spelling failure cascade. Ach! :smallredface:

Manga Shoggoth
2007-10-09, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure if its been done before, but..

Using the binary translator I found in the internet, I decided to decode wat the Lawful Conscious is saying in #68 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0068.html).

BEHOLD!!!
•Ek

:smalleek: okay...dont ask.

As a computer programmer/DBA of many years experience I have to point out that you are assuming:

That the Modron is using ASCII.
That the Modron is even using an 8-bit byte. It could be using a 6-bit byte (as per the CDC 170/720 - ah! those halcyon days of my youth!) or even a 24-bit byte.
And that's before we start on Unicode...

I have an alternative theory: I've been at work too long today.

hewhosaysfish
2007-10-09, 11:04 AM
Y'know I'd heard about Modrons and the very LN Mechanusness but my mental image of them had been entirely based on second-hand descriptions of Nordom and, of course, Elan's conscience . Thus I had imagined only "quadrones".

Now that I have a look at the Wikipedia entry I feel the urge to fire Gygax out of a cannon, preferably into the sea. The basic personification of Law and order in D&D and they're a bunch of regular polyhedra! The dice control our fates!

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't earlier editions of D&D only give alignments in terms of Law (good) and Chaos (bad) rather than explicitly Good and Evil (Moorcock's influence I think?) So they were at the pinnacle of creation, the highest we can aspire to. Oh, dear...

EDIT And Elan's conscience could be saying: "149 69 107!"

Tempest Fennac
2007-10-09, 01:29 PM
Thanks for telling me what it is. Also, I thought that talking gibberish was a Lawful trait (that would explain how anyone could have classed Modrons as being something to aspire to regarding alignment).

Lord Zentei
2007-10-09, 01:37 PM
And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't earlier editions of D&D only give alignments in terms of Law (good) and Chaos (bad) rather than explicitly Good and Evil (Moorcock's influence I think?) So they were at the pinnacle of creation, the highest we can aspire to. Oh, dear...

The original D&D game had only three alignments: Lawful, Neutral and Chaotic, and yes, that was probably a Moorcock influence.

However, AFAIK, the Modrons first came about in Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (1st edition), at which point the 3x3 alignment system of today was created. So they have never been portrayed as the "highest point of aspiration" or anything.

Incidentally, Chaotic creatures weren't necessarily "bad guys", as for instance Elves were Chaotic initially, along with the Orcs and Goblins (as opposed to Dwarfs who were Lawful).

In AD&D 1st, the Elves became "Chaotic Good", the chaotic bit reflecting the wild and individualistic element of the old Chaotic alignment, while Orcs and Goblins became "Lawful Evil", the evil bit reflecting the nastier and antagonistic aspect of the old Chaotic alignment. Now, of course, Orcs and Goblins have meandered towards CE and NE, leaving the Hobbos in the LE camp.

Ridureyu
2007-10-09, 01:39 PM
Conscience. The word is Conscience.

ref
2007-10-09, 04:22 PM
EDIT And Elan's conscience could be saying: "149 69 107!"

It could be talking about Haley, but the 149 seems way too high.

Emperor Ing
2007-10-09, 04:27 PM
Conscience. The word is Conscience.

thanks. Fixed the spelling. :smallsmile:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-09, 04:31 PM
ref: ...maybe if we're talking centimeters, but otherwise, that sounds more like a Giant's measurements.

JasonDoomsblade
2007-10-09, 05:43 PM
@Randomizer
Kinda off topic but where have you been at the ABR Thread? It's been like 27 pages or something without you making a strip.

Lord Zentei
2007-10-10, 01:08 AM
Zentei, your law is more like an extension of a more well known law, hehe.

That was the point. :smallwink:

Icewalker
2007-10-10, 01:16 AM
I figured out simply the effective number it was in base 10, as opposed to binary. It was 9 million something...I asked "who said ########" with the result in the OOTS quiz thread in SMBG, and it was figured out within a day :smalleek:

ref
2007-10-10, 12:41 PM
The OotS audience is clever!

Yes, I was talking cm, what with being from Europe, and stuff :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue: