PDA

View Full Version : Unconventional Cleric race suggestions?

jaappleton
2019-07-15, 10:40 AM
So Strahd called down the Thunder and now he’s gonna get it.

I rolled a damn 18 in Wisdom, and pumping it to 20 with my lv8 ASI so I’m looking for something a bit out of the box.

All books are open, anyone have ideas?

DarkKnightJin
2019-07-15, 11:02 AM
Gnome for the Advantage on mental saves would be alright.
Something with a swim speed/water breathing feature to avoid drowning if you've got Heavy Armor.

Can't really think of too much more that springs to mind without a list of race options to peruse.
Pretty sure you could go with whatever race you want at this point.

I'm a bit biased, but a Kobold Cleric could be hilarious.

Particle_Man
2019-07-15, 11:20 AM
skeleton from dmg npc list has no penalty to wisdom. Just saying.

jaappleton
2019-07-15, 11:28 AM
skeleton from dmg npc list has no penalty to wisdom. Just saying.

........Ever play Divinity 2? :smallbiggrin:

GooeyChewie
2019-07-15, 11:55 AM
How about Minotaur? Since you have Wisdom covered, Strength and Con seem like good attribute bonuses. And as Tempest Domain you can be part of the Thundering Herd!

GlenSmash!
2019-07-15, 02:05 PM
Half-Orc if you wnat to be extra tough and hit things with a large thunderous weapon.

Think Thrall from Warcraft.

No brains
2019-07-15, 03:19 PM
Play a Triton just so I can hear about one.

Hypersmith
2019-07-15, 04:06 PM
Hobgoblin! And grab the uphold the legion feat from the Xanathars expanded list if your table allows that.

Puh Laden
2019-07-15, 05:11 PM
Orc or Half-orc. From their default pantheon:

Gruumsh: War, Nature (?)
Luthic: Life
Shargaas: Trickster
Yurtrus: Death, Grave (?)
Ilneval: War

JakOfAllTirades
2019-07-15, 05:20 PM
You should play a mighty, thunderous KOBOLD!!!

You know you want to...

8wGremlin
2019-07-15, 05:39 PM
Play a Simic Hybrid, with a +1 bonus to wisdom, then take observant for your feat. this will increase you Wis to 20 and give you +5 to your passive perception. as well.

At 1st level Underwater Adaptation. You can breathe air and water, and you have a swimming speed equal to your walking speed.
At 5th level take You have two special appendages growing alongside your arms. Choose whether they're both claws or tentacles. As an action, you can use one of them to try to grapple a creature. Each one is also a natural weapon, which you can use to make an unarmed strike. If you hit with it, the target takes bludgeoning damage equal to 1d6 +your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike. Immediately after hitting, you can try to grapple the target as a bonus action. These appendages can't precisely manipulate anything and can't wield weapons, magic items. or other specialized equipment.

You look like a tentacled humanoid from the sea spewing the storms wrath where ever you go.
You could even have Pirate as a background...just saying..

Naanomi
2019-07-15, 06:09 PM
Githzerai, Save the ASI? Or firbolg

Aett_Thorn
2019-07-15, 06:26 PM
Air Genasi Tempest Cleric - a child of the storm itself

Feral Tiefling Grave Cleric - trying to make up for the sins of his people, he aims to save people from death

Tabaxi Life Cleric - a highly mobile healer

Aaron Underhand
2019-07-15, 06:47 PM
Non variant human,

Make the level 8 asi a 1:1 or perhaps observant...

gjf2a
2019-07-15, 06:47 PM
I suggest a Bronze or Blue Dragonborn and go with the Tempest domain.

Then use Channel Divinity: Destructive Wrath with their Lightning breath weapon.

Particle_Man
2019-07-15, 07:12 PM
........Ever play Divinity 2? :smallbiggrin:

I tend to avoid video games. I fear I would get addicted too easily.:smallbiggrin:

Yakmala
2019-07-15, 07:20 PM
Tortle Grave Cleric. He lived out his normal 50 years, returned home to mate, raise some hatchlings for a year and then die. But the Raven Queen took an interest in him for some reason and returned his soul to his body. He's got no idea what the Raven Queen's motivations are, how much extra time he has remaining or what happens afterwards, but he's determined to make the most of his new found lease on life by helping others escape the clutches of death.

Misterwhisper
2019-07-15, 07:27 PM
Warforged envoy.

No need for food, drinks, sleep ect.

Built in armor that is more than likely better than anything you will find.

Can split your asi of +2 into either a half feat or a +1 wis and +1 to something else.

Depending on the domain you will make a huge difference.

Arcana is great, so is forge or nature.

Carry a shield with your holy symbol, and the best weapon you can get in the other and bring the pain.

stoutstien
2019-07-15, 08:10 PM
Loxodon. The forgotten race

tKUUNK
2019-07-15, 08:46 PM
Tortle Grave Cleric. He lived out his normal 50 years, returned home to mate, raise some hatchlings for a year and then die. But the Raven Queen took an interest in him for some reason and returned his soul to his body. He's got no idea what the Raven Queen's motivations are, how much extra time he has remaining or what happens afterwards, but he's determined to make the most of his new found lease on life by helping others escape the clutches of death.

Yes! What a cool concept. Fertile ground for a good DM, and fun as a player. Do it!! haha.

Daghoulish
2019-07-15, 08:47 PM
Kenku, the race no one seems to like. However when you call the thunder your verbal component is literally the sound of thunder.

Hypersmith
2019-07-15, 09:05 PM
I like the suggestion of warforged actually

Aett_Thorn
2019-07-16, 05:31 AM
Loxodon. The forgotten race

Yeah, but they actually aren’t all that unconventional for a Cleric, as that’s pretty much one of the things they’re actually best at.

Spore
2019-07-16, 05:39 AM
Fitting for Barovia would probably be a Simic Hybrid like 8wGremlin suggested. Barovia has many classical horror monsters but it lacks "Gillmen or Fish People". Go for Warforged as a sentient Gargoyle.

I really like races that can be molded to fit the theme of the game.

suplee215
2019-07-16, 05:51 AM
GITHZERAI Seems like they can be good and unconventional ones.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-16, 05:53 AM
Kenku, the race no one seems to like. However when you call the thunder your verbal component is literally the sound of thunder.

I have a friend that loves them, they are nice to have in the party if the player have the mental power and readynes to only talk in repeating.

To the OP, I suggest a Goblin(funny and a nice BA) or a Kobold.

Arkhios
2019-07-16, 06:07 AM
I had a Warforged Forge Cleric once as an "NPC" (statted like a PC, because of reasons). Great fun was had.

Zhorn
2019-07-16, 06:34 AM
If I ever get a DM that allows the unofficially-official Grung PC stats from One Grung Above, I'd love to roll a Grung Cleric.

Poison my allies with my touch ranged heals... because shenanigans :smalltongue:

jaappleton
2019-07-16, 06:39 AM
If I ever get a DM that allows the unofficially-official Grung PC stats from One Grung Above, I'd love to roll a Grung Cleric.

Poison my allies with my touch ranged heals... because shenanigans :smalltongue:

At the start of this game, I was a Druid and someone was a Grung Rogue.

We bonded, mainly because I could cast 'Create or Destroy Water', and with Mold Earth, I'd make 5' deep puddles for him.

Then we died in a fire.

You'd figure I'd have saved a spell slot for... more water... to put out the fire.

YugiSyta
2019-07-16, 07:44 AM
I recently made a deep gnome (Svirfneblin) grave cleric, he's kind of serious and dour, but a lot of fun to play. I could totally see a Svirfneblin trickery domain cleric too, especially of you take their racial feat from Tome of Foes. At will nondetection, yes please.

ProfLucario
2019-07-18, 07:46 PM
One of my favourite characters that I've played was a Dragonborn Light Cleric; the idea behind him was that in the DM's world most people see Dragonborn as monsters, so he was striving for greater acceptance of his people.

Nhorianscum
2019-07-18, 10:12 PM
So Strahd called down the Thunder and now he’s gonna get it.

I rolled a damn 18 in Wisdom, and pumping it to 20 with my lv8 ASI so I’m looking for something a bit out of the box.

All books are open, anyone have ideas?

When all books are open my default is 100% dragonmarked houses.

In this case shadow is like the old Sanctuary + SG + SW combo, but more so. Enjoy pseudo-invulerability.

Temperjoke
2019-07-18, 11:04 PM
How about a bugbear war cleric? Strength and dexterity, stealth capability, surprise attack bonus, lots of things to like with it.