PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] What would be good to put into Oil Chambers?

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-15, 04:21 PM
Oil chambers are in Dungeonscape, you can add them to your armour. You can put an oil in one, then spray it on yourself as a swift action.

Sounds great for action economy. But what spells of 3rd level or lower would actually be good for this?

Venger
2019-07-15, 06:22 PM
Well, any good buff or defensive spell, really. Is there anything more specific you're looking for?

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-15, 06:34 PM
Well, my understanding is that the oil chamber applies the oil to your armour, not to you. So spells that affect the armour you are already wearing.

Thurbane
2019-07-15, 07:02 PM
A quick search of spells that affect armor:

Bristle (SC p.40)
Diamondsteel (SC p.64)
Iron Silence (SC p.125)
Magic Vestment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicVestment.htm)

...there may be more...

Particle_Man
2019-07-15, 07:05 PM
Give it to a frenemy and do not tell them it is oil of heat metal?

Venger
2019-07-15, 07:13 PM
oh duh, oils. aside from the ones thurbane mentioned:

fortify metal or stone
wave blessing

were all I was able to find aside from invisibility which seems a bit niche

Thurbane
2019-07-15, 07:19 PM
In addition to those already listed: Ghost Touch Armor (SC p.102).

[edit]

Deific Bastion (CC p.119) [actually, this is one of the better options]
Nystul's Magic Aura (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicAura.htm) [not terribly useful]

GrayDeath
2019-07-16, 04:37 AM
If you love your Dwarven Friend, WD40 of course. Can also replace Beard/Hair Oil, Deodorant and desinfectant!

Today 2 cans for one!

DrMotives
2019-07-16, 05:25 AM
If you love your Dwarven Friend, WD40 of course. Can also replace Beard/Hair Oil, Deodorant and desinfectant!

Today 2 cans for one!

Now I have an urge to make a dwarf Billy Mays character. Not sure what class, but they need to have an optimized set of social skills. Talk anybody into buying anything. Like armor oil, for instance.

GrayDeath
2019-07-16, 05:31 AM
If you do so, please send me the specifics.

I always love to see the builds I inspire. :)

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-16, 07:49 AM
Wow, seems like the range of options is really limited - so limited in fact that I wonder whether the designers realised that fact when they came up with the item.

Are there any non-magical fluids that would be usable? Alchemical substances for putting onto armour maybe?

Glimbur
2019-07-16, 05:17 PM
Alchemist's fire! Maybe more useful if you are fire resistant and expect to get grappled.

Cygnia
2019-07-16, 05:19 PM
For vampiresandmaybesquids? Garlic

Thurbane
2019-07-16, 05:25 PM
Are there any non-magical fluids that would be usable? Alchemical substances for putting onto armour maybe?

A quick search turns up the following:

Alchemical Silence (Dragon 247)
Armor Insulation (Forstburn)
Armorbright (Sandstorm)
Armorsoft (Dragon 280)
Darkoil (Underdark)

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-16, 05:51 PM
I realised there are a small set of spells that provide just as much benefit to you if they are cast on an object you are carrying. Things like Darkness (or Blacklight), Silence, or Light or Daylight. Are there any other spells like this? You would at least be able to benefit from action economy.

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-16, 05:52 PM
A quick search turns up the following:

Armorbright (Sandstorm)
Armorsoft (Dragon 280)
Darkoil (Underdark)

Hey, thanks! Nice!

Venger
2019-07-16, 05:55 PM
grease also, for escaping grapples

Blackhawk748
2019-07-16, 05:58 PM
Make Whole or Repair Object? On top of that any other spells that otehrs have mentioned that work fine when just cast on an area. So Fog Cloud or Obscurring Mist

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-17, 02:29 AM
Area spells can't be made into potions - only spells that target one or more creatures (I actually can't find mention in the SRD on how to craft object-targeting oils, at a glance).

Venger
2019-07-17, 03:29 AM
Area spells can't be made into potions - only spells that target one or more creatures (I actually can't find mention in the SRD on how to craft object-targeting oils, at a glance).

Target or Area: One object or a 10-ft. square

Among their other oddities, there is no listed way to create oils. You can only find them as loot. I guess brownies make them when no one's looking.

Thurbane
2019-07-17, 03:31 AM

In any case, Grease can be cast as an area spell, or made to target one object.

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-17, 07:02 AM
Thanks both for the spot - though I was more thinking of the suggested Fog Cloud or Obscuring Mist.

Even with Grease, though, I think you'd need a GM houserule for you to benefit from the anti-grapple effect, since it's you - and not your armour - that's being grappled.

Grease spell description specifies greased armour or clothing, great spot! Grease can't even target a creature, my bad.

Jowgen
2019-07-17, 08:09 AM
Did a thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?590880-The-various-applications-of-the-Oil-Chamber) on this a month ago that was mildly popular. Only really lists some alchemical stuff that is written in a way that suggests it work with the oil chamber as a deployment method.

jintoya
2019-07-17, 09:28 AM
Best spell for a tank:
Prestidigitation: smell like bacon and taste like bacon, make armor look like meat.
You just auto-aggro any (carnivore) animal

So long as you leave it open ended so you can dictate the affect of the prestidigitation, it should (with a little creativity) be at the top of the list.

Dealing with drow?
Armor is coated in "Lolth sucks, 0/10, would not spider waifu" etc.
Everything really bad has a big red button, just be creative and aggro anything!

For the sneaky armor:
"Make my armor navy blue and put dark green blotches on it, texture is matte, sharkskin-like."
Not moving, this should make you hard to see for while you wait for the rogue to mess up and trip all the alarms, alert all guards and make you rescue them.

The infiltrator:
"Make my [description of color palette of guard armor]" Now that you look the part... Walk right in.
I've done some similar things in real life, you'd be surprised where you can go by just looking the part!

The applications could be endless, and even if the DM makes you do it on-the-spot, you shouldn't be too offput by having wasted a cantrip.

Hope this helps and I didn't just waste everyone's time.
(Not familiar with the item, but understand the concept)

Thurbane
2019-07-17, 04:50 PM
Could you use it to apply ingested poison to your armor when you are facing a monster with Swallow Whole?

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-17, 05:21 PM
Could you use it to apply ingested poison to your armor when you are facing a monster with Swallow Whole?

Yes - but it depends what 'you are also exposed to the poison' means: if it means you are exposed to the ingested poison but that's okay because you haven't ingested it, great. If it means you're dosed with the poison no matter what - less good.

Thurbane
2019-07-17, 05:26 PM
Yes - but it depends what 'you are also exposed to the poison' means: if it means you are exposed to the ingested poison but that's okay because you haven't ingested it, great. If it means you're dosed with the poison no matter what - less good.

Ipecac from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft might be another good option - it forces a creature to regurgitate its stomach contents. Would require some DM cooperation for it to work, though.

Venger
2019-07-17, 06:58 PM

if it's ingested poison, getting it on your skin won't do you any harm. ingested poisons kind of suck, though. plus it requires creatures to eat you

Jowgen
2019-07-17, 10:03 PM
Assuming you've got poison immunity somehow, there is a lot of fun to be had with poisons beyond being swallowed.

Discouraging grapples would be one. Any contact poison should do, and if you got armor spikes with that one upgrade that makes the auto-damage grapple opponents (source escapes me) then injury works as well.

From my old thread, there was also the idea of filling the stuff with substances you've used shrink item on. 4000 times the volume of a single thing, for when you absolutely need to drench your immediate surroundings in something. Or if you want to self-immolate with Alchemists Fire in the most over the top way possible.

jintoya
2019-07-18, 02:45 PM
Ipecac from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft might be another good option - it forces a creature to regurgitate its stomach contents. Would require some DM cooperation for it to work, though.

Charcoal is easy to obtain in bulk and is an ipecac, monks use it (real world monks, not game monks) when they preform a cleanisng ritual using the durian, enough of it should make a monster spit you out.
If consumed in moderation it is actually a counter to many ingested toxins, there is a type of baboon that does this.

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-19, 06:01 AM
OK, here's what we've got so far:

Oils
Bristle (SC p.40)
Diamondsteel (SC p.64)
Iron Silence (SC p.125)
Magic Vestment
Fortify Metal or Stone
Wave Blessing
Ghost Touch Armor (SC p.102)
Deific Bastion (CC p.119)
Nystul's Magic Aura
Grease
Silence
Darkness
Light
Daylight
Blacklight

Alchemy
Armorbright (Sandstorm)
Armorsoft (Dragon 280)
Darkoil (Underdark)
Ingested or contact poison
Ingested or contact ravages (if DM is cool with it)

2019-07-19, 06:59 AM
Augment Object (SBG, Clr/Drd/Sor/Wiz 3) and Fortify Metal Or Stone (SoS, Clr/Sor/Wiz 2). Both together will add 30 to the break DC and triple your armor's hardness/HP. If your armor is already adamantine or the like, this'll make it pretty difficult to destroy short of disintegration. I'm rarely in a situation where how difficult my gear is to destroy even matters, though...

Grease will give you a circumstance bonus to Escape Artist, and circumstance stacks with whatever so that's nice. Not something you wanna prepare every day, but if the situation comes up where you need it, it's great. Too many charges of this, though, and you'll realize you shoulda just bought a ring of FoM. Wave Blessing (stormwrack, sor/wiz 1) is like this too; if you ever need it, it'll be a dire need, but if you need it frequently, you really should buy something that'll take care of the problem long-term.

A quick charge of Silence is nice if you're needing a way to shut down verbal components in enemies. Doubt you'll be able to actually shut down a caster without being one, but if you're coming to the fight with Silent Spell on everything and you're opponent isn't, getting in close is gonna ruin his day.

It's extremely niche, but if you want to shut down an opponent's domain powers and turn-undead-equivalent abilities, Divine Interdiction can do the job if you get in close? They get a save sure but...yeah, extremely niche.

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-19, 11:42 AM
Divine Interdiction is good actually: once the spell is in place, like Silence, there's no save against its effect when you're in the area. At only a 10' radius it'll be tricky to keep divine channellers in it, but it does work if you can.