PDA

View Full Version : Original System WIP Dice Mechanic

GaelofDarkness
2019-07-15, 04:26 PM
[Mechanic has been edited from original post]

I've been working on a fairly crunchy system and playing around with some dice mechanics and how they'd play into the system. I think there's something interesting here - or at least novel - and I'd love some feedback from the Playground! I've divided my thoughts up and I'm most eager to hear what you've got to say on the basics. The latter chunks maybe ramble on a bit (sorry) - but if you're willing to spare the time to read them I'd seriously appreciate your thoughts!

Most dice mechanics are about getting higher or lower on a single scale - how well or poorly the action went. The exceptions that jump to mind are some combats where one can roll offensive AND defensive bonuses (e.g. rolling X counts as a hit, but rolling Y counts as a block instead of a miss) or Fantasy Flight's Genesys system with its success/advantage/triumphs and failure/threat/despairs adding some nuance. So I was curious to see if there's a way to colour a result as well as giving it a numerical value of success. And what better way to colour than with coloured dice?

The Dice
A set of six coloured d20s: red, green, blue, black, silver and gold.
I had these handy, so let's go ahead and call those the canonical types. Of course, the point is to have six distinct d20s, so any way to distinguish between dice works just as well.

Basic Roll
You choose three of the six dice to roll. The result is the difference of any two dice and the colour of the third.

Any stat bonuses could be added as is typical. For an example, I roll the blue, black and gold dice (with no bonus), getting 8, 15 and 12 respectively. I take a Gold 7 as the result. I could also have taken a Black 4 or a Blue 3 if I was willing to take a lower number to get my preffered colour.

What do the colours mean?
Note: If it's not obvious, I'm taking inspiration from Fate Accelerated's Approaches.

Each colour represents (generally) the manner or perceived manner that an action was completed in. For example, you might succeed in convincing an NPC with an intense argument - but did it come across as passionate (red) or perhaps daunting (green)? You might fail a roll and take an injury, but was your instinctive response to react gingerly with care (black) or doggedly with determination (blue).

Colour
One Word Summary
Possible Meanings

Red
Passionately
"Your performance is made with gusto!" OR "You've lost face, looking too emotional."

Green
Dauntingly
"The blow of your club intimidates your foes." OR "You take the arrow strike with a menacing smile."

Blue
Doggedly
"You break open the door with gritted teeth." OR "Despite a thorough look, you don't find any clues."

Black
Carefully
"You stealth in with care, avoiding attenion." OR "You hesistate and your sword swings wide."

Gold
Amply
"You tie the knot confidently, no wasted movement." OR "The repair should be sufficient, but it won't work."

Silver
Stylishly
"Your charming smile wins over their hearts." OR "Your showboating costs you a handhold and you fall from the tree."

The exact meaning or consequences of the colours on a given roll are mostly going to be up to the GM or Player interpretation rather than set rules. Though, eventually I might have some rules for that - colours affecting some encounters in specific ways. Maybe some encounters care more about colours than numbers? I could see that being a cool fey encounter in a fantasy game, rolling high or low is unimportant but you must roll Silver to deal with the fey?

This is mostly meant to be something that can help guide RP and add a bit of mechanical nuance to certain encounters (like encounters that aren't tactical combat). I especially see this coming into play as something that changes the way NPCs interact with PCs.

Leaning in harder into the colour system could include things like different character archetypes preferring different colours. Taking the right colour can trigger a bonus to certain types of actions - sneak attacks deal more damage with Black while a song sounds better from a Silver tongue.

Some Thoughts
I mainly wonder what people think of the colour-system. Does this work as a way to introduce a multi-dimensional element to the dice roll? I think it might make players think about the kind of way their character acts more consciously - some PCs definitely being Green, Blue and Gold types while another might be more Red, Black and Silver, or any other combinations. Are there alternative traits people would rather see? Is six too many? Too restrictive?

The leverage and hindrance mechanics below means it's easier/harder to get your preffered colour with a higher number. I hope this engages players who wouldn't care as much about min-maxing so they have more control over the colours at play in-game. I was also thinking that there should be something that gives more control over colour for RPing (but post rule change I think leverage handles that pretty well).

A concern with this mechanic is that - because it involves sorting and then subtration - I find it's not as quick or automatic as summing 3d6 or counting successes in a dice pool. Maybe that's just because those are the kinds of mental arithmetic that I'm accustomed to and with some play this more novel mechanic will become just as habitual. It's not like the mental arithmetic is particularly difficult or anything. Does anyone have experience with mechanics that use differences? Any tips? Pros or Cons?

I think the rules change makes this version simpler - but I wonder if it could give players choice paralysis. The last thing I want is a player grinding play to a halt trying to decide if they'd prefer a Green 12 or a Red 11.

Circumstances and/or abilities might make an action easier or harder. This is a take on an advantage/disadvantage or boost/setback kind of mechanic. You can have up to three levels of leverage or hindrance. One level of leverage cancels out one level of hindrance - so you never roll with both leverage AND hindrance at the same time.

Rolls with Leverage
For each level of leverage you roll an extra die from the set of six, taking the difference of any two dice and the colour of any other die as the result.

For example, I roll with one level of leverage. I roll four dice - the red, green, blue and silver. I get 17, 16, 18 and 18. The best numerical result I can get is only 2, which I could colour Red, Blue or Silver. I could also take a 1 with any of the four colours or a 0 coloured Red or Green.

Leverage makes you more likely to roll a higher number while getting your preferred colour. You have to roll the colours you wouldn't roll in a basic roll, but taking the least preferred colour is never necessary to get the best numerical result.

Rolls with Hindrance
For each level of hindrance you roll an extra die from the set of six, but you can only keep the lowest-rolling three dice. The result is the difference of any two dice and the colour of the third.

For example, I roll with three levels of hindrance, so I roll all six dice. I get 4, 11, 11, 18, 7 and 8. I discard the 11, 11 and 18. I take a Gold 4 as the result, but I could also take a Silver 3 or a Red 1.

Hindrance makes you more likely to roll a lower number and can leave you stuck with colours you didn't want.

I reckon I'd set unmodified 1s as critical failures and unmodified 19s as critical successes. That actually seems to suit the symmetry of the distribution better. The more interesting question is what to do about unmodified 0s. I'm thinking of treating them as somekind of wildcard... somehow.

Since a player could take a 0 anytime they roll a matching pair - it's important that a 0 not be powerful, at least not powerful without a significant cost.

What I'm currently thinking is that while fresh, rolling a 0 incurs a cost - loss of resource, gain of some kind of stress. But when your character is on their last legs or in way over their head, they can get a last ditch surge to try and succeed. Maybe they can regain hp when they're at death's door or a mage regains mana if they're pool is depleted.

I've been toying with this idea for a "stress tree" (inspired by Torchbearer). It's a tree of conditions where you start with nothing and get put on one of the branches as you accrue stress. Each new lever of stress that targets a particular branch pushes you further up that branch, but you can't take a higher condition if any of the lesser ones are still vacant - so the stress spreads as well as rises, making slipping into more severe conditions slower and more manageable. By this I mean, e.g. if you took a second level of stress on the "Hungry" branch, but you weren't "Worn Out" yet, then you'd become "Worn Out" instead of "Tired". You'd only become "Tired" after getting another level of stress on the "Hungry" or "Worn Out" branches.

Maybe rolling a 0 when you have an otherwise debilitating stress level gives you a much stronger than normal result - so rolling a matching pair is exactly what you want to do when your back's to the wall.

I'm not set at all on what the points on the stress tree would be called or how severe the lower conditions would be. I imagine that, say, "dirty" wouldn't have a big impact outside of RP. Maybe a dirty PC would have more trouble getting into a swanky establishment? Maybe trying to treat a wound while dirty is harder? That stuff seems like it could become a lot of homework pretty quick, so I think the lower conditions are just flavoured pitstops to the higher conditions with actual impacts.

Hungry
\

Tired

Worn Out
/

\

Exhausted

Dirty
\

/

\

Unwell

Infected

Frail
/

\

/

\

Sick

Septic

Groggy
\

/

\

/

\

Confused

Shock

Death

Numb
/

\

/

\

/

Terrified

Fainted

Nervous
\

/

\

/

Afraid

Panicked

Morose
/

\

/

Desperate

Irked
\

/

Angry

Sore
/

I figure making a mock up of this thing to put on character sheets would be OK. Put it over a nice tree design or something. Then just have players mark with some dots how their PC is doing on the stress tree.

All the math here is based on the assumption that you would always take the best possible numerical result from a roll - regardless of colour.

The basic roll has a nice curved distribution - not like a bell curve really since the edges of the distribution do not taper, but I like it. If you throw out the 0, the probabilities for 1-19 are symmetrical about the mid-point of 10. This is what led me to thinking of 0 as some kind of wild card rather than just a critical failure.

The distributions for leverage and hindrance become gradually more skewed to the left or right. A single level shifts the mean by about 2, the second by a further 1.33 and the third by another 0.95 (roughly), and each level reduces the spread of the distribution significantly. Your odds of rolling above a 10 with Leverage x3 are over 85%, and the probability of rolling a 19 more than quadruples to just over 6%.

The distributions for leverage or hindrance aren't exactly reflections of each either - but they're extremely close so I think having leverage and hindrance cancel each other out is pretty fair. Again it's most apparent if you toss out the 0s. By assuming only non-zero rolls (and rescaling the distributions under that assumption) the largest discrepancy from Leverage xN and Hindrance xN being perfect reflections of each other is ~0.05% points. Which is REALLY dang close.

Some approximate values for reference. The Basic Roll is in bold.

Result Number
Hindrance x3
Hindrance x2
Hindrance x1
Basic Roll
Leverage x1
Leverage x2
Leverage x3

1.19%
0.8%
0.4875%
0.25%
0.0125%
0.000625%
0.00003125%

6%
4.23%
2.68%
1.425%
0.166%
0.0178%
0.00184%

9.75%
7.24%
4.84%
2.7%
0.5625%
0.101%
0.0169%

11.7%
9.17%
6.48%
3.825%
1.169%
0.303%
0.0718%

12.2%
10.2%
7.66%
4.8%
1.94%
0.66%
0.204%

11.8%
10.5%
8.42%
5.625%
2.83%
1.2%
0.457%

10.8%
10.3%
8.8%
6.3%
3.8%
1.92%
0.874%

9.34%
9.59%
8.86%
6.825%
4.8%
2.82%
1.5%

7.75%
8.62%
8.625%
7.2%
5.775%
3.87%
2.34%

6.16%
7.47%
8.15%
7.425%
6.7%
5.04%
3.42%

4.67%
6.23%
7.49%
7.5%
7.5125%
6.28%
4.73%

3.37%
5.0%
6.67%
7.425%
8.18%
7.52%
6.23%

2.3%
3.83%
5.75%
7.2%
8.65%
8.67%
7.83%

1.46%
2.78%
4.77%
6.825%
8.88%
9.64%
9.43%

0.847%
1.88%
3.78%
6.3%
8.83%
10.3%
10.9%

0.4375%
1.168%
2.81%
5.625%
8.44%
10.6%
11.9%

0.191%
0.6375%
1.915%
4.8%
7.685%
10.26%
12.3%

0.0641%
0.285%
1.14%
3.825%
6.51%
9.23%
11.8%

0.0134%
0.0894%
0.5375%
2.7%
4.86%
7.30%
9.87%

0.000877%
0.0117%
0.141%
1.425%
2.71%
4.29%
6.125%

By the way, does anyone have any tips on how to get a graph up on here? I figure it's a LOT easier to look at than a table of numbers - if anyone has had the patience to stick with my waffling, that is. Sorry for my ignorance.

MoleMage
2019-07-15, 05:11 PM
Personally I'm a sucker for new dice systems, and I do want to see how this plays out. There is the concern about the time it takes for each roll being higher due to multiple steps in calculating the result, but one answer for that is to reduce the number of rolls involved in resolving things.

I also like the solution for 0, but I think that treating the 0 as automatic failure should also give a resource back, to mirror the spending of a resource to get a hopefully better outcome.

To get the most out of the color mechanic, I also think you should lean on it pretty hard. Special features like magic should have bonus effects for one or more colors, passive traits should activate whenever you get a certain color, and like you mentioned with the fey, maybe color is more important than outcome. The more you reward players for interacting with color, the more they will remember it.

For example: Fireball does X damage, but that improves to 1.5X if your result is Red. On the other hand, your special wizard training means that if you roll Silver, you get a little bit of magic back from the cast. Fire slinging wizards are going to want to roll Red/Silver/something, until they come up against an enemy that is Red-immune.

Bjarkmundur
2019-07-15, 05:45 PM
I LOVE the color mechanic, although I'm not a fan of the math. If this works for your group of players, then I give it 8 out of 3/4 thumbs up!

If you could simplify how the extra dice affect the check, that would make it a whole lot more streamlined. Maybe just let them give a predetermined bonus if you get =>10. This would mean the narrative dice can affect the main roll, but not substantially, and are mainly used to dictate the narrative.

But like I said, if the level of complexity is a-OK, then don't change anything ^^

GaelofDarkness
2019-07-15, 07:43 PM
Thanks so much for the quick replies :smallbiggrin:

I also like the solution for 0, but I think that treating the 0 as automatic failure should also give a resource back, to mirror the spending of a resource to get a hopefully better outcome.

That is a really good point. Especially if I get the stress system running and have weary PCs rolling with hindrance, the higher chance of 0s might be exactly what they need to stay in the fight after expending their resources.

I'm also thinking of changing the hindrance rule so you drop the LOWEST dice and keep the HIGHEST three. It doesn't change the distribution but it means any 0s you roll are more likely to be from rolling high numbers - doubling down on the moon shot idea. It's still a long shot of course, but it might be enough to get the gamblers in our group to take the chance - and encouraging action instead of passivity is always good.

To get the most out of the color mechanic, I also think you should lean on it pretty hard. *snip*

This is really useful, thank you! Put like that, I could also see colour being something that helps distinguish archetypes. Thiefs prefer to roll Black, but Monks want to be getting more Gold. If you want to focus on Black you get a different suite of abilities and traits than someone who focuses on Gold. If Red can boost fireballs, maybe Black can boost a sneak attack or Green can boost the unleashing of eldritch horrors on your foes.

Maybe magic is inherently unpredictable and spells do something different (good, bad or just plain weird) if you roll their trigger colour. Could apply to stuff like social interactions too, rolling a Green on that NPC means he perceives you as a threat and turns (somewhat) hostile, but an earnest Red can earn you his respect.

I LOVE the color mechanic, although I'm not a fan of the math. If this works for your group of players, then I give it 8 out of 3/4 thumbs up!

Yeah, the math is odd. I don't think the complexity is going to be a road block - but some test runs will be needed.

Admittedly I want to keep the way leverage and hindrance work in no small part because I'm really fascinated by how their distributions so closely mirror each other. Like, leverage is putting an extra dice between the max and min to stretch the difference out, while hindrance is adding dice AND taking them away to squeeze the difference down. They don't really seem like they should be so close to perfect opposites.

Maybe a similar colour mechanic could be achieved with, say, 3d6? You just take the colour of the highest/lowest value die. You could keep the idea of a wildcard by saying that rolling a triple is the wildcard. If you roll a triple you automaticallly fail your action unless you pay the cost, but if you choose to fail you recover some resource.

Leverage and hindrance could be straight roll and keep mechanics then. But leverage would be weird because you'd have less control of the colour you got... Maybe you just add your preferred colour of dice? But that'd mean pools of extra dice for each colour at the table and I'm not stoked by the idea. Hmmm, I'll have to give it some thought - suggestions are always welcome though!

I'll keep working with the d20s and taking the difference for now. I guess I just find the mechanic... intriguing. Which I know is a dangerous word if you're trying to design something workable. But I'll definitely reevaluate later.

GaelofDarkness
2019-07-16, 03:31 PM
Just had a thought - do folks have any opinion about the following change? Clearer? More intuitive?

Basic Roll: You roll three d20s. The result is the difference of any two dice and the colour of the third.

Any relevant stat bonus being added on of course. The change to leverage and hindrance would follow similarly - leverage letting you roll extra dice, while hindrance makes you roll extra dice but only keeping the lowest three. I'd need to scale back on the "moon shot" aspect of rolling a 0 a bit since rolling a matching pair is a lot easier than rolling a three of a kind. Maybe it's something that only happens when a character is on their last legs - a last ditch surge if they can roll a matching pair?

Bjarkmundur
2019-07-16, 03:33 PM
At looks much cleaner!
Do I get to choose which dice is number 3?

GaelofDarkness
2019-07-16, 03:36 PM
Do I get to choose which dice is number 3?

Yes, so you can always choose the colour you want on a basic/leveraged roll - but you could get stuck with a much lower numerical value doing that.

GaelofDarkness
2019-07-22, 11:34 AM
So a friend pointed out that (if you're willing to sacrifice the wildcard 0s) you can get a really similar distribution of results from a simpler roll and keep mechanic.

Basic Roll: Roll three d20s. Keep the lowest 2/Drop the highest. Your result is the number of one & the colour of the other.

Leverage: Roll an extra die per level of leverage. Drop the highest die. Your result is the number on any of the remaining dice & the colour of any other.

Hindrance: Roll an extra die per level of hindrance. Keep only the lowest 2. Your result is the number of one & the colour of the other.
This I can easily program on AnyDice, so here's what the distributions look like for the various rolls (assuming you go for the highest number you can): https://anydice.com/program/16bdb

So... thoughts? Do you find this simpler/faster/easier? Did you prefer the differences mechanic?

I think I might run with this since it only involves comparisons and not subtraction. For the fairly generic system I'm working on I think that might suit better. I like that this means you can't get perfect control over colours on a basic or leveraged roll, as well. In place of 0s I think I'll make it so that (after dropping the highest) rolling all the same values gives you a resource (idk Awesome Points) that can be spent for an awesome effect whenever you roll all matches in the future - BUT using Awesome Points causes you to gain stress. The more points you use at a time, the more awesome the effect and the more serious the consequences.

I still like the difference mechanic but I think I might have to relegate it to a different system. I think it'd work best maybe as some kind of magic subsystem. I also noted something weird when trying to visualize the numerical distribution:So it turns out that the distribution you get from differences can be REALLY closely approximated in a weird way. Draw a circle with 20 evenly placed spokes radiating out, numbered 0 to 19 in order. Draw a second smaller circle inside the first that's not concentric, instead centred on the 0 spoke a little bit away from the big circle's centre. Turns out that for the right sized circles and the right off-set for the smaller circle's centre, the length of each spoke that lies between the two circles is about the probability of rolling that spoke's number (assuming you want to maximize the number).

The space between the two circles looks like a crescent moon symbol, so that got me thinking that this could be a really cool mechanic for some kind of witchcraft system/game. Maybe you could use d8s instead of d20s and then each score is coded by a phase of the moon: 1 is waning gibbous, 2 is waning half, 3 is waning crescent, 4 is new moon, 5 is waxing crescent, 6 is waxing half, 7 is waxing gibbous and 0 is full moon. Here, waning is bad, waxing is good, and the full moon is the wild card.

My group likes to play limited run campaigns as breaks from any longer-term campaigns and this could be cool for that. Short enough that the novelty wouldn't lose it's charm. Also, playing as a coven of witches in 15th/16th century Generic European Village and dealing with stuff like witch hunters, the Reformation and Renaissance while simultaneously fighting supernatural powers sounds like a good time. If it develops into a full system, I'll be sure to post it to the forums :smallsmile:

Bjarkmundur
2019-07-22, 03:53 PM
I am for some reason having a reeaalllyy hard time with wrapping my head around this. I just love the color mechanic so much that I keep coming back.

If I were to declare my intent and my method (I want to do ______ by ______), does my GM tell me which colors I roll?

When I know which colors/attributes to roll, I roll 3 and drop the highest, and the remaining dice then decide both the 'style' of my method and how successful it was? I haven't even gotten to the hindrance/leverage part, since I can't even get the basics. It's probably a 'learn by reading' vs. 'learn by doing' , or a language barrier thing. It's probably dead simple once you're actually using it in play.

But yes, the new method is much more intuitive, although I'm pretty sure it's more satisfying to "keep lowest" rather than "losing highest".

GaelofDarkness
2019-07-22, 06:30 PM
I am for some reason having a reeaalllyy hard time with wrapping my head around this. I just love the color mechanic so much that I keep coming back.

If I were to declare my intent and my method (I want to do ______ by ______), does my GM tell me which colors I roll?

When I know which colors/attributes to roll, I roll 3 and drop the highest, and the remaining dice then decide both the 'style' of my method and how successful it was?

So this is something that will definitely have to be played out to see what works and what doesn't. As I envision it right now, the Player chooses the colours of the dice they roll in order to best represent the style of the action they want, and (within reason) the Player is also responsible for interpreting what the colour means. Normally, as a GM, I prefer to only narrate the details of a PCs action if the Player is uncomfortable doing it themselves or if I'm trying to maintain the pace.

For example, let's say you want to intimidate some NPC. It's a basic roll where you add Charisma/Presence/whatever, so you the colours Red, Green and Gold. The most appropriate for intimidation would be Green - for Daunting. However, Red and Gold could work as well, just viewed as more "overbearing" than truly scary. With Red you might have used the forcefulness of your fury rather than straight threats. With Gold you might have just bulldozed them with sheer force of personality.

I haven't even gotten to the hindrance/leverage part, since I can't even get the basics. It's probably a 'learn by reading' vs. 'learn by doing' , or a language barrier thing. It's probably dead simple once you're actually using it in play.

Definitely easier to show than explain - I'm sure someone else would be better at explaining it in words than me I'm afraid. They both mean rolling extra dice but one leads to higher results and more freedom of colour choice (because you also keep more dice), while the other lowers the results and restricts colour choice (because you don't keep any extra dice).

But yes, the new method is much more intuitive, although I'm pretty sure it's more satisfying to "keep lowest" rather than "losing highest".

Noted.

Amechra
2019-07-22, 08:40 PM
Honestly, this is way better than what I expected when I saw that you needed six d20s of different colors¹. :smallwink:

One issue I can see is that six d20s of different colors is a big ask. I've been gaming for something like nine years at this point and I have maybe five d20s total? This isn't really a consideration if this is just for your table, of course.

I will say that your friend's suggestion will probably be the fastest in play. May I suggest that the high d20 do something, though? Maybe you get a chit of that die's color, which you can spend to do... I dunno.

¹ There's a long-dead system from the 90s where you rolled multiple colored dice at a time, with different target numbers for each...

GaelofDarkness
2019-07-23, 05:58 AM
One issue I can see is that six d20s of different colors is a big ask. I've been gaming for something like nine years at this point and I have maybe five d20s total? This isn't really a consideration if this is just for your table, of course.

Yeah, it's mostly for my table and I might have a slight dice collection problem. So honestly more d20s just sounds like an opportunity to get more use out of some them :smallwink:

May I suggest that the high d20 do something, though? Maybe you get a chit of that die's color, which you can spend to do... I dunno.

Hmm, that makes sense. How about X chits lets you predetermine the colour of your roll? So if I spend... 3(?) red chits before I roll, then no matter what I can assume the roll is red. If I'm going to have abilities or features modified by colour, then maybe spending these chits amplifies these effects? If a barbarian's attacks cause a fear effect when coloured Green, then maybe spending Green chits makes the effect more powerful? affect additional targets? I don't know, I'm hesistant to let things get too noodly because I know I can get really carried away but something along those lines.

I don't want it to descend into too much bookkeeping, so maybe you only get chits if you roll a 20 on the highest die? That'd still happen in ~14.26% of basic rolls (and obviously more frequently, the more dice you roll), so chits shouldn't be rare but hopefully it would still be notable to win one. Then make a simple set of costs for what they can do: 1 chit predetermines the colour of a roll, 3 chits amplifies abilities.

¹ There's a long-dead system from the 90s where you rolled multiple colored dice at a time, with different target numbers for each...

:smalleek: That... sounds intense.

Amechra
2019-07-23, 08:37 AM
Yeah, it's mostly for my table and I might have a slight dice collection problem. So honestly more d20s just sounds like an opportunity to get more use out of some them :smallwink:

Fair enough - it's like how I have a slight RPG collection problem (Seriously, I probably own more than my body weight in RPG books. And I'm not a skinny person...)

Hmm, that makes sense. How about X chits lets you predetermine the colour of your roll? So if I spend... 3(?) red chits before I roll, then no matter what I can assume the roll is red. If I'm going to have abilities or features modified by colour, then maybe spending these chits amplifies these effects? If a barbarian's attacks cause a fear effect when coloured Green, then maybe spending Green chits makes the effect more powerful? affect additional targets? I don't know, I'm hesistant to let things get too noodly because I know I can get really carried away but something along those lines.

I don't want it to descend into too much bookkeeping, so maybe you only get chits if you roll a 20 on the highest die? That'd still happen in ~14.26% of basic rolls (and obviously more frequently, the more dice you roll), so chits shouldn't be rare but hopefully it would still be notable to win one. Then make a simple set of costs for what they can do: 1 chit predetermines the colour of a roll, 3 chits amplifies abilities.

I like the idea of...

1 Chit: Set your roll to a particular color.
1 Chit: Force an opponent to roll with a particular color.
3 Chits: Give yourself a COLOR BOOST!¹

The color-forcing thing is basically a way to say "you've got to (potentially) approach this emotionally (or carefully or whatever) to succeed". I'm not entirely sure it'd do all that much - you can generally get away with ignoring one of the colors. For an example, let's say that I'm rolling Black, Red, and Green for something, but I'm playing a big angry Barbarian who doesn't really do things carefully. Also, let's assume that I'm doing something where I need to roll 11 or higher to succeed.

I have a 43.75% chance to beat the target number on the middle die but fail on the lower die, requiring me to take the color of the lower die in order to succeed. Black will come up as the lowest die a third of the time, which comes out to there being a 14.58% chance that picking Black will be the difference between success and failure.

Which leads me to believe that you could sorta emulate the mechanic (assuming a static DC of 11) by picking two approaches (one you prefer, and one you don't), and rolling a d20. You succeed with your favored color on a 14+, you fail unless you switch to your non-favored approach on an 11-13, and you fail outright if you roll a 10 or lower. Which would be an interesting way to set up a "no - yes, but - yes" kinda system, but kinda besides the point.

:smalleek: That... sounds intense.

It was unworkable - you had to beat the target number on all of the dice to succeed. Plus it had "features" like separate point pools for each color (that you could spend to get bonuses on rolls), skills only applied to specific dice, and did I mention that you auto-failed if you rolled a 10 on any of your dice? Immortal: The Invisible War is one of the games I keep in mind when thinking up new mechanics, simply because it had a neat idea ("hey, our system has a dice-pool aspect to it - wouldn't it be neat if each die corresponded to something in the actual scene in a way that you can see at a glance?") and then implemented it in a really terrible way.

GaelofDarkness
2019-07-23, 05:37 PM
I like the idea of...

1 Chit: Set your roll to a particular color.
1 Chit: Force an opponent to roll with a particular color.
3 Chits: Give yourself a COLOR BOOST!¹

That sounds good to me. Maybe control of your opponent's colour is 2 Chits - just because I can think of some cool colour mechanics for a boss, and with multiple players they'd have complete control over the boss's colour.

So the rules as they stand - phrasing subject to clarification:
You have a pool of six d20s to draw from: Red, Green, Blue, Black, Gold and Silver.

You roll three dice, keeping the lowest two. Your result is the number of one of the kept dice and the colour of the other.

If you roll the same number on both kept dice, you gain an Awesome Point. If the die you dropped was a 20, you get a chit of the dropped die's colour.Cirucumstances or abilities may give you up to three levels of leverage or up to three levels of hindrance. Levels of leverage and hindrance cancel each other out, so you never roll with both leverage and hindrance at the same time.

For every level of leverage you have, you roll AND keep an additional die. Your result is the number of any of these kept dice and the colour of any other.

For every level of hindrance you have, you roll an additional die but keep only the lowest two. Your result is the number of one of the kept dice and the colour of the other.

In wither case, if all the kept dice rolled the same number, you gain an Awesome Point. If any of the dropped dice rolled a 20, you get a chit of that dropped die's colour.Whenever you roll all the same number on your kept dice, you can spend Awesome Points instead of gaining one. This lets you achieve something incredible when your back is to the wall, the more Points you spend the more Awesome it'll be - and the more severe the consequences for your character. (Details tbd).

You can spend colour chits as follows:
1 chit: Set one of your rolls to the chit's colour - you must decide this before you make the roll.
2 chits: Set one of your opponent's rolls to the chit's colour - you must decide this before the roll's result is announced.
3 chits: COLOUR BOOST!

The color-forcing thing is basically a way to say "you've got to (potentially) approach this emotionally (or carefully or whatever) to succeed". I'm not entirely sure it'd do all that much - you can generally get away with ignoring one of the colors. For an example, let's say that I'm rolling Black, Red, and Green for something, but I'm playing a big angry Barbarian who doesn't really do things carefully. Also, let's assume that I'm doing something where I need to roll 11 or higher to succeed.

The intention is to have significant control over the colours you get on a basic roll. You can usually choose between two favored colours and occasionally get stuck with the third, least preferred option. Hindrance is really where more uncertainty gets introduced, you can be stuck choosing between potentially any two colours at random. I like the idea that you have mostly control over execution (leverage refining this further) unless there are complications that make that more difficult.

which comes out to there being a 14.58% chance that picking Black will be the difference between success and failure.

It's cool that that's about the chance of the dropped die on a basic roll being a 20. So you gain chits (of various colours) at about the same rate as faced with a choice to make a less preffered colour choice. I think that'll help keep the usefulness of the chits to the fore front of players' minds.

Which leads me to believe that you could sorta emulate the mechanic (assuming a static DC of 11) by picking two approaches (one you prefer, and one you don't), and rolling a d20. You succeed with your favored color on a 14+, you fail unless you switch to your non-favored approach on an 11-13, and you fail outright if you roll a 10 or lower. Which would be an interesting way to set up a "no - yes, but - yes" kinda system, but kinda besides the point.

This is interesting. I like "no - yes, but - yes" systems and that's a framing I hadn't thought of for the colour system.