PDA

View Full Version : Spell Selection Help for Illusion Wizard--Level 1

TheCleverGuy
2019-07-15, 07:58 PM
Building a 1st level Wizard for an Eberron campaign, with the plan to choose the Illusion school. The idea is that all his magic comes from studying and experimenting with hallucinogenic fungi.

I was wondering what you all would suggest for my last level 1 spell. So far I've got Color Spray, Silent Image, Ray of Sickness, Detect Magic, and Tasha's Hideous Laughter. There are so many options--Mage Armor, Identify, Shield, Find Familiar, etc. I'm just not sure what to take. Any thoughts? And bonus points if you can find a way to refluff components to relate to mushrooms!

Particle_Man
2019-07-15, 08:06 PM
Find familiar. That help action is great and can aid the fighter too. Plus it can help you find the best mushrooms!

Rukelnikov
2019-07-15, 08:47 PM
Mage Armor - Solid, but can probably manage wihtout it thru lvl 1, most DMs keep kiddy gloves on until lvl 3.
Identify - A must IMO, for any wizard worth his salt, however, not that necessary at lvl 1
Shield - A life saver, but you have few slots and same as MA kiddy gloves are generally on until lvl 3
Find Familiar - Best spell in slot, likely best bang for buck ratio in the entire game.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2019-07-15, 09:32 PM
Illusionist wizards are Versatile, Find Familiar takes that versatility and cranks it to 11. Malleable illusions requires sight, you can see through your familiar and completely screw with your enemies perceptions.

Tanarii
2019-07-15, 10:38 PM
What's your starting Intelligence? (ie how many spells can you prepare?)

Solunaris
2019-07-15, 11:00 PM
Find Familiar is a clads feature disguised as a spell. It has so many useful abilities for both out of combat and in combat. At level 1 advantage on every hit for the Fighter is gold while it taking a hit instead of the Fighter or you is even better.

Think of it as on demand advantage, free scouting and a heap of bonus HP at level one that scales poorly in combat as you level. The earlier you take it the better it is. Also, Sleep is amazing this early and can swing an entire combat in your favor when you need an instant out.

OracularPoet
2019-07-16, 01:36 AM
You’ve obviously never smoked out with your cat. Find familiar, dude.

bendking
2019-07-16, 06:24 AM
I would recommend giving out Shadow Sorcerer a look. Subtle Spell is the ultimate social manipulation tool, and if you're going to playing in a campaign that focuses on role-play, it's a potent pick.
You can take Ritual Caster if you still want to be a utility-guy, by taking V.Human at 1st.

TheCleverGuy
2019-07-16, 06:48 AM
What's your starting Intelligence? (ie how many spells can you prepare?)

I rolled ridiculously good stats. Starting with 17 INT.

Bobthewizard
2019-07-16, 08:48 AM
Here are the spells I would take by level for an illusionist wizard through level 5. Assumes ASI to INT at 4. Spells in parenthesis represent ones I'd add to my spellbook but not prepare.

1 – Minor Illusion, Ray of Frost, Prestidigitation, Shield, Sleep (drop at 3), Disguise Self, Silent Image (Detect Magic, Find Familiar)
2- Mending, Mage Armor (Comprehend Languages)
3- Web, Absorb Elements
4- Mage Hand, Misty Step, Phantasmal Force
5- Hypnotic Pattern (Leomunds Hut)

Happy to discuss any of these choices if you want

Tanarii
2019-07-16, 03:03 PM
I would recommend giving out Shadow Sorcerer a look. Subtle Spell is the ultimate social manipulation tool, and if you're going to playing in a campaign that focuses on role-play, it's a potent pick.
You can take Ritual Caster if you still want to be a utility-guy, by taking V.Human at 1st.
Also Warlock, Misty Visions and Mask of Many Faces are pretty ridiculous.

Bobthewizard
2019-07-16, 03:58 PM
Also Warlock, Misty Visions and Mask of Many Faces are pretty ridiculous.

I would second this. At low-mid levels, an Archfey Warlock with those two invocations is probably the best illusionist.