PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent Fiends

ZamielVanWeber
2019-07-15, 08:31 PM
So I want to make a half-fiend with a high intelligence modifier but that requires a fiend where Int is their second highest stat at minimum and I am having no luck finding one. Does anyone have any suggestions (unique fiends work for these purposes)?

Thurbane
2019-07-15, 08:48 PM
Illurien (MM5) has Int 36.
Graz'zt (FC1) has Int 33.
Uvuudam (ELH) has Int 32.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-07-15, 09:25 PM
I found the Arcanaloth in MM2 has Int has its highest stat.

The Viscount
2019-07-16, 12:47 PM
The Carnevus from Expedition to the demonweb pits has an Int of 20 as its second highest stat. Are you using a variant half-fiend template?

MisterKaws
2019-07-16, 01:26 PM
The Carnevus from Expedition to the demonweb pits has an Int of 20 as its second highest stat. Are you using a variant half-fiend template?

It's the (Half)-Fiendish Variety Article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a).

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-16, 01:59 PM
Half-fiend phrenic great wyrm prismatic dragon? Base prismatic is (average) 64 Int. Keep in mind, it's 3d6+54 Int modifier.

+4 half-fiend.

+2 phrenic.

If given PC wealth, at or beyond level 20, one could easily get a headband of Int +6 and summon a couple of genies for +5 Int.

Using several Epic feats could grant +1 Int each (though this seems like a waste, to me).

The Ability Enhancer feat grants +2 Int for every transmutation spell that boosts an ability score.

Bestow curse and greater bestow curse can do just about anything equal in power to the listed curses, and since they grant a -6 penalty to one or two ability scores, respectively, they should be able to grant bonuses of like size.

A dominated fiend of possession could grant a +4 profane bonus.

10 levels in crystal master (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625d) would grant an additional +3.

If there's some way to finagle being human for a few decades, add a +3 age bonus to Int.

Also +1 per 4 HD above baseline great wyrm.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-07-16, 02:08 PM
It's the (Half)-Fiendish Variety Article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a).

Correct. With the adjustment to +3 and the forgiveness of 2 LA (because it will be a 2 person AP) I am considering half-fiend. My initial build goals are half-fiend illumian psion 3/wizard or sha'ir 1/cerebremancer 10/psychic theurge 6 but that means I definitely want a solid int off of the stat shuffle the half-fiendish article gives. Depending on build it may also behoove me to get a high Charisma but that is not too difficult from what I have seen of fiends.

Edit: confusing ninja

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-16, 02:09 PM
Correct. With the adjustment to +3 and the forgiveness of 2 LA (because it will be a 2 person AP) I am considering half-fiend. My initial build goals are half-fiend illumian psion 3/wizard or sha'ir 1/cerebremancer 10/psychic theurge 6 but that means I definitely want a solid int off of the stat shuffle the half-fiendish article gives. Depending on build it may also behoove me to get a high Charisma but that is not too difficult from what I have seen of fiends.Swap bodies with another creature, polymorph any object yourself into a sarrukh, then swap back? Base 30 Int, right there.

Alternatively, UMD two scrolls: one of aspect of the wolf to count as the animal type, then Maximized/Empowered awaken. Alternatively, Intensified awakened. That last one will get you 36 Int. Ability Enhancer increases this even further, since it's a transmutation spell.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-07-16, 02:14 PM
That is waaaaay too high OP unfortunately. I am stretching it with my crazy casting already to be honest but my fellow player will be a mystic theurge/arcane hierophant and I am playing a martial adept now so I wanted something more magical this time.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-16, 02:23 PM
That is waaaaay too high OP unfortunately. I am stretching it with my crazy casting already to be honest but my fellow player will be a mystic theurge/arcane hierophant and I am playing a martial adept now so I wanted something more magical this time.Feel free to mix and match benefits. You don't have to utilize all of them, but knowing what's available will let you pick how powerful you want to be. You can always water them down, after all.

I tend to make incredibly powerful characters that can easily be played down to the level of the group. I like skillmonkey shaper psions for this reason; I can nova if I need to, but it's really easy to play a factotum/shaper with Able Learner to low levels, while really getting nasty if the group gets in trouble.

You can do the same here. If you have a really high-Op group, feel free to use more. For a low-Op group, use less. That's much easier than doing it the other way 'round. Can't do much for a T1 group with a plain fighter, after all.

ShurikVch
2019-07-16, 04:59 PM
Illurien (Monster Manual V): Int 36

EDIT: Swordsaged (hours earlier) :smallsigh:

hamishspence
2019-07-16, 05:02 PM
Wasn't Illurien supposed to be a unique individual, rather than a race?

That said, the OP did say that unique individuals are valid for this purpose.

ZamielVanWeber
2019-07-16, 06:59 PM
Illurien was also mentioned by Thurbane right at the start.

ShurikVch
2019-07-17, 06:14 AM
Many of deities are have their Int in forty-something range; child of Evil deity is a Half-Fiend (DvR 0 is optional)

weckar
2019-07-17, 10:44 PM
Swap bodies with another creature, polymorph any object yourself into a sarrukh, then swap back? Base 30 Int, right there. Are there actually tables where this flies? Most DMs would have to ask "wtf is a sarrukh" and disallow it on the grounds that your character would never have heard of it (because in this world it does not exist).

Thurbane
2019-07-17, 10:46 PM
I'm curious now, what would Half-Illurien look like, stat wise?

MisterKaws
2019-07-17, 10:46 PM
Are there actually tables where this flies? Most DMs would have to ask "wtf is a sarrukh" and disallow it on the grounds that your character would never have heard of it (because in this world it does not exist).

Not even in FR playing at their region would a DM allow Sarrukhs. They're that broken.

Who the hell thought giving a creature the ability to grant any special attack or quality would be a good idea?

Crake
2019-07-17, 10:59 PM
Not even in FR playing at their region would a DM allow Sarrukhs. They're that broken.

Who the hell thought giving a creature the ability to grant any special attack or quality would be a good idea?

I think the idea of being able to fleshwarp another creature as a progenitor race is cool and flavourful. The issue comes with a) how quick it can be done (standard action) and b) how cheap it can be done (free). If it was something that took hours/days/weeks of work, and involved some costs, it would be totally fine and literally nobody would have any problem with it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-17, 11:37 PM
I'm curious now, what would Half-Illurien look like, stat wise?Lvl --
HP --

Str --
Dex --
Con --
Int --
Wis --
Cha --

Because only half of an illurien would be quite dead.