PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Attuning To Spells [PEACH]

Amechra
2019-07-15, 09:48 PM
Under this alternate rule, you may attune to a spell with a duration of Concentration as if it were a magic item. If you do, you do not have to concentrate on it to maintain it. Attuning to a spell takes its toll on your body, however - it shows up under Detect Magic and other similar effects as if it were a magic item, and other creatures may make an Intelligence (Arcana) check against your Charisma (Deception) to determine what spells you have attuned to.

---

Yes, people finding out that you're attuned to Dominate Person is kinda bad, why do you bring it up?

sandmote
2019-07-15, 11:18 PM
I'm going to suggest limiting attuning as a replacement for needing concentration to only apply to a single casting of the spell. Also that spells can't stack with a second casting of themselves when used in this manner.

Which brings Suggestion, Hunter's Mark, and Hex back into the realm of sanity. Particularly Suggestion, which is available to 3rd level warlocks. Who tend to have high charisma, proficiency in deception, little else to attune to, and can cast Suggestion twice an hour, every hour, until they go to bed.

Having written that out, maybe also specify you can't attune to one spell multiple times.

Amechra
2019-07-15, 11:27 PM
Those are good points vis-a-vis Suggestion. I was already running off the assumption that you can't "double dip" attunement in general.

Hmm... now I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to go through the spell list, divide the Concentration spells into rarities, and make a generic magic item that you can "tie" a spell of a given rarity to. For example, if we decided that spamming Suggestion should be Rare, you'd have to tie it to the Rare version of the Ring of Sorcery or whatever.

Off the top of my head... 1st and 2nd are Rare (Attunement), 3rd through 5th are Very Rare (Attunement), 6th through 8th are Legendary (Attunement), and 9th is "concentrate on this yourself, you nerd".

sandmote
2019-07-15, 11:54 PM
Those are good points vis-a-vis Suggestion. I was already running off the assumption that you can't "double dip" attunement in general.

Techincally it specifies an item:

Additionally, a creature can't attune to more than one copy of an item. For example, a creature can't attune to more than one ring of protection at a time.
Just for clarity's sake, I'd explicitly point out this also applies for something that isn't an item.

Hmm... now I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to go through the spell list, divide the Concentration spells into rarities, and make a generic magic item that you can "tie" a spell of a given rarity to. For example, if we decided that spamming Suggestion should be Rare, you'd have to tie it to the Rare version of the Ring of Sorcery or whatever.

Off the top of my head... 1st and 2nd are Rare (Attunement), 3rd through 5th are Very Rare (Attunement), 6th through 8th are Legendary (Attunement), and 9th is "concentrate on this yourself, you nerd".
I'd just write a Ring of Stout Concentration, that lets you pick a spell at the end of each long rest and be able to cast it without requiring concentration one time, as long as you don't try to maintain two instances at once. Basically limits you to pairing two concentration spells together. No twining Conjure Animals or my previous examples, but you can maintain Haste and Enlarge/Reduce at the same time. A less rare version could allow you to maintain both at once but still require Concentration as normal.

Hypersmith
2019-07-16, 05:24 PM
This is an interesting idea, but I'd hesitate to introduce it around a more optimization focused group :P

JNAProductions
2019-07-16, 06:46 PM
Something to note-it's way more powerful at low levels (when you're unlikely to have many, if any, attunement items) and weaker at higher levels.

Amechra
2019-07-16, 09:53 PM
Alright, so I'm guessing that this would have to be a higher-level option? I agree with that, honestly - it's supposed to be balanced out by the fact that attuning to Hex cuts into the number of cool magic items you can attune to.

skaeren
2019-07-17, 07:31 PM
I might bring this to the attention of my GM

sandmote
2019-07-17, 11:46 PM
If this is intended to be done at a level where the PCs have magic items to attune to, definitely don't make it something always available. If it was primarily intended as a warlock buff, I would suggest trying something else.

To start moving toward something more concrete:

Ring of Stout Concentration
Ring, rare (requires attunement by a bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, warlock, or wizard)

While attuned to this ring, you may cast a concentration spell of 1st through 5th level into the ring by touching the ring as the spell is cast. The spell has no effect, except to be registered by the ring, and this effect lasts until you are no longer attuned or cast a new spell into the ring. Whenever you cast the same spell again, you may choose to cast the spell through the ring. When you do so, you do not need to make concentration checks to maintain the spells's effects, and can maintain a second concentration spell at the same time. The second spell you concentrate on cannot be the same as the spell registered by the ring. Once you have used this ability, you cannot use it again until the next dawn.

JNAProductions
2019-07-18, 09:56 AM
If this is intended to be done at a level where the PCs have magic items to attune to, definitely don't make it something always available. If it was primarily intended as a warlock buff, I would suggest trying something else.

To start moving toward something more concrete:

Ring, rare (requires attunement by a bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, warlock, or wizard)

While attuned to this ring, you may cast a concentration spell of 1st through 5th level into the ring by touching the ring as the spell is cast. The spell has no effect, except to be registered by the ring, and this effect lasts until you are no longer attuned or cast a new spell into the ring. Whenever you cast the same spell again, you may choose to cast the spell through the ring. When you do so, you do not need to make concentration checks to maintain the spells's effects, and can maintain a second concentration spell at the same time. The second spell you concentrate on cannot be the same as the spell registered by the ring. Once you have used this ability, you cannot use it again until the next dawn.

First off, I'd just make it any caster. No need to restrict it.

Second off, I'd still require you to make concentration checks. Otherwise, some spells, like Banishment for instance, become rather too powerful.

sandmote
2019-07-19, 08:59 PM
First off, I'd just make it any caster. No need to restrict it.

Second off, I'd still require you to make concentration checks. Otherwise, some spells, like Banishment for instance, become rather too powerful. Good point.

Mark II:

Ring, rare (requires attunement by any spellcaster)

While attuned to this ring, you may cast a concentration spell of 1st through 5th level into the ring by touching the ring as the spell is cast. The spell has no effect, except to be registered by the ring, and this effect lasts until you are no longer attuned or cast a new spell into the ring. Whenever you cast the same spell again, you may choose to cast the spell through the ring. Casting in this manner allow you to maintain concentration on a second spell at the same time, but you cannot maintain concentration on multiple instances of the spell at the same time. You make concentration checks for each spell independently. Once you have used this ability, you cannot use it again until the next dawn.

JNAProductions
2019-07-19, 09:20 PM
I might be inclined to make it Very Rare, but seems solid enough.