PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Writing a Character out of a Campaign

Dr. Cliché
2019-07-16, 09:20 AM
One of my players has recently informed me that he needs to drop out of my campaign.

Basically, I'm looking for advice with regard to writing his character out of it.

The campaign has been quite story-focused, so I'm trying to avoid very meta explanations like 'Dave has had to drop out
so Melf the Elf pops out of existence, leaving behind only the plot-relevant items he was carrying.' :smallwink:

Any good suggestions for getting rid of a character?

(Anything goes - I've basically been given free reign to do whatever with the character, including killing them outright.)

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-16, 09:32 AM
You can give the character their gole in life and see them leave the party for a happy ending.

Make their kidnap a plot turning point.

Zhorn
2019-07-16, 09:57 AM
Something I did in my last campaign, player 6 had to drop out because they were going to be rostered to work on game nights.

I NPC'd them till the party got to town, and then stay behind while the rest of the PCs headed off to the dungeon, when they got back to town they had been accused of a crime and run out of town (in this case it was a frame job with they taking the fall for arson, murder and kidnapping). The players were given some story hooks to solve the murder, find and rescue the kidnapped townsfolk and clear the players name. I left it as a mystery where the character vanished to, whether they were still alive or not (just in case the player was to ever come back).

Laserlight
2019-07-16, 10:11 AM
It sounds like it's "drop out of the campaign, not planning on returning", in which case you can do whatever you want. Main question is, what situation are they in at the moment? If they're in not in immediate danger, then it's easy.

--As you're all standing around waiting for the barbarian to buy an axe, a brilliantly green bird lands on Melf's shoulder and speaks in a woman's voice. "Melf, your grandmother is dying. Return home immediately, that you may receive her blessing and take up the rulership of Teardrop Lake."
--Those of you with high WIS know that the fortuneteller is asking leading questions and giving vague answers, no magic to it, but she's obviously broke and giving her a few coppers for a reading lets her keep a little more dignity than if she had to beg. Until Melf draws the cards--then the girl turns white and her eyes roll up and she prophesies things she couldn't possibly know. "Your quest is doomed as long as the elf remains with you. You must give the Resounding Horn to your companions and go purify yourself by the Rite of Ankh Morpork."

If you're in the middle of a dungeon, it's a little more complicated. Perhaps they release prisoners and he knows one of them, his lost love or his brother who's suffering a curse or something. Perhaps a kkobold grabs the McGuffin and runs off with it, and during the chase the elf stumbles into a teleporter trap and is never seen again. Perhaps he boops the nose of the idol and is polymorphed into a Jack Russell terrier and his gear is lying on the floor.

Keravath
2019-07-16, 10:17 AM
1) If you think they might have an interest in returning and playing later then I would suggest not killing the character outright ... just write him out of the current narrative.

2) Extracting a character from a storyline in a believable way simply depends on the character backstory. Characters usually have family, loyalties, and motivations outside the current plot line. The easiest way to remove the character is to have them leave the party on a quest/mission/goal that is important to the character - supporting a family member, rescuing a dear friend, researching a dream they have had that may be prophetic - it could be anything but just make the reason something important to the character and something that they need to do alone. They then wish their companions well, hope to see them again in the future and leave to take action on their personal goals.

3) Depending on how you write them out you could even use the character as a significant NPC in a future plot line. Perhaps their dream really was prophetic? :)

Tawmis
2019-07-16, 10:29 AM
One of my players has recently informed me that he needs to drop out of my campaign.
Basically, I'm looking for advice with regard to writing his character out of it.
The campaign has been quite story-focused, so I'm trying to avoid very meta explanations like 'Dave has had to drop out
so Melf the Elf pops out of existence, leaving behind only the plot-relevant items he was carrying.' :smallwink:
(Anything goes - I've basically been given free reign to do whatever with the character, including killing them outright.)

So... what would help me help you is knowing a general idea of the campaign... (story wise)... and a little knowledge on the character (not the player!) background/story/adventure who is dropping out.
Because with that information we can tie some strings together to explain why a character suddenly must depart.

Dr. Cliché
2019-07-16, 11:17 AM
So... what would help me help you is knowing a general idea of the campaign... (story wise)... and a little knowledge on the character (not the player!) background/story/adventure who is dropping out.
Because with that information we can tie some strings together to explain why a character suddenly must depart.

Okay, the overall idea is that about 2/3rds of the continent are currently controlled by the undead, with the living inhabitants having been gradually pushed back. With a mix of manpower and magic, they've created a river of holy water that cuts off the last third of the continent from the undead-controlled north. What's more, any humanoids who die (even south of the river) will rise again as undead within a day or so unless their bodies are burned or purified.

So far, the campaign has taken place in the human-controlled region with the players being part of an organisation that deals with minor undead incursions, along with other supernatural threats.

Currently, they're heading to a port town in the far south, following up on rumours that people have been making pacts to turn themselves into undead. They've stopped briefly in a town en route to stock up and try to track down someone relevant to one of the other characters in the party.

Anyway, the character who's leaving is actually the leader of the group. A half-vampire ranger who actually hails from beyond the river (he's confessed this to the party but not to anyone else). Basically, he was originally a human - a member of a vampire-controlled region where humans are protected from the other undead but basically used as blood-banks for the vampires. Normally, they aren't able to leave due to some very unpleasant magical wards, but he managed to make a deal with one of the vampires there - who turned him into a half-vampire, allowing him to bypass the wards.

He's been serving in the organisation for a number of years so far.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-07-16, 11:21 AM

Don't kill them outright unless you have a GREAT reason to. Find something heroic for them to be doing and save them as a NPC in the event your player ever wants to Skype in for a bit or visits on vacation.

In a session I DM the players have a mine they've turned into a stronghold. The Bard's baby momma and father in law live there running the garrison. We'll have back up type characters go man it for a bit in between PC deaths or characters of players who only seldomly make it generally stay there.

You could do this a number of ways with your PC's backstory or the player's desires.

PhantomSoul
2019-07-16, 11:26 AM
If that character has a goal from their background, you could have them working directly towards that. I recently had this happen in my campaign, and it worked out that the party joining a larger organisation gave an opportunity for the now-NPC to work with the organisation directly (instead of as an affiliated group) and now serves as the party's default contact within the organisation. (The organisation was partly investigating the big bad from the now-NPC's background.)

Galithar
2019-07-16, 11:36 AM
Okay, the overall idea is that about 2/3rds of the continent are currently controlled by the undead, with the living inhabitants having been gradually pushed back. With a mix of manpower and magic, they've created a river of holy water that cuts off the last third of the continent from the undead-controlled north. What's more, any humanoids who die (even south of the river) will rise again as undead within a day or so unless their bodies are burned or purified.

So far, the campaign has taken place in the human-controlled region with the players being part of an organisation that deals with minor undead incursions, along with other supernatural threats.

Currently, they're heading to a port town in the far south, following up on rumours that people have been making pacts to turn themselves into undead. They've stopped briefly in a town en route to stock up and try to track down someone relevant to one of the other characters in the party.

Anyway, the character who's leaving is actually the leader of the group. A half-vampire ranger who actually hails from beyond the river (he's confessed this to the party but not to anyone else). Basically, he was originally a human - a member of a vampire-controlled region where humans are protected from the other undead but basically used as blood-banks for the vampires. Normally, they aren't able to leave due to some very unpleasant magical wards, but he managed to make a deal with one of the vampires there - who turned him into a half-vampire, allowing him to bypass the wards.

Easiest way to remove the character is to let someone outside the party learn what he is without the explanation of why. Maybe even have them miss the 'half' part and think he's a full vamp. Have him stay behind (even if it's just an hour) so that the party doesn't get caught up trying to defend their friend from the ensuing lynch mob.

pragma
2019-07-16, 11:36 AM

This is an awesome hook for turning the character into a double agent who is actually in cahoots with the vampires. Have him get recruited into command of the undead hunting organization, but drop a clue or two that something isn't right. He could make a great recurring villain for social encounters down the line.

OverLordOcelot
2019-07-16, 11:44 AM
I agree, it sounds like you've got a perfect hook for him to betray the party and become a recurring villain, or for the vampire he made a deal with to call in the debt and take him across the river for the party to attempt to rescue.

Nagog
2019-07-16, 12:28 PM
If they're a bard, have them suddenly discover they have a kid with someone they actually really liked. Boom, responsibility, good reason for leaving, and they're still alive so they could potentially come back.

dragoeniex
2019-07-16, 12:59 PM
I would tie it back to the vampire he originally made the deal with. If that was a dubious or antagonistic relationship, have that NPC betray information that helps Northern enemies track your halfpire down. Have him put still-enslaved family members or friends of the halfpire in danger.

Or, if there aren't any of those and/or the vampire isn't too high up for reprimand, have that vampire be found out. That person is now in a ton of trouble for creating halfpire and will be publically disgraced and executed if they don't bring halfpire back in.

Make it a danger. Make it a temptation. Make it anything you like! It's a fun setup that sounds open-ended enough to give you wiggle room.

Tawmis
2019-07-16, 01:56 PM

You just made it extremely easy!
So, since he's half-vampire - when (if the player has already dropped, you can briefly control him as an NPC) the party arrives to investigate this rumor of the humans making pacts that turn them into the undead - if this is actually happening - make the pact require a "Blood Ritual." The Blood Ritual essentially drains the blood from the humans who have accepted this pact. The blood drains to the center and feeds (whatever demon or whatever may be behind this). Being surrounded by so much blood (and perhaps the presence of the demon or whatever is behind all these undead), the "Vampire" side of him begins to kick in and he begins strongly craving Blood of things other than things from mice, steaks, or anything else that might sedate his bloodlust. You can even have the player (or you controlling the PC) actually TURN on the party when he surrenders to this bloodlust - but DO NOT KILL the character (since the player may one day return when he has regained control of his bloodlust). I think the party having to fight him (give him some Vampire powers since he's surrendered to that bloodlust and make for a great fight) would be an amazing twist that even your PLAYERS would be surprised by! His last move would be to turn to mist or bats and make his escape!

Conradine
2019-07-16, 01:56 PM
He fall in love, get married , buy a cottage with some farmable land, have a couple of kids and live the rest of his life in peace, happiness found.

SirGraystone
2019-07-17, 09:10 AM
Keep the character as an NPC for a game or two. Have the group meets werewolves (make sure the new NPC get bitten). A week or so later, have the NPC vanish in the middle of the night, leaving behind torn clothes and his gear. The character is now out of the group, the quest item stayed at the camp with his gear, and you now have an interesting NPC that can come back later in the story.

NRSASD
2019-07-17, 09:49 AM
My group unfortunately had to eject a player due to stupid problems, but we parted on... okayish terms? The campaign had just started rolling forward and the party got pulled into Ravenloft, so I decreed he turned out to be a freewilled illusion that began to fade away.

Not the most graceful of exits, but it certainly worked and avoided derailing the game too much.

Dr. Cliché
2019-07-18, 09:52 AM
Thanks for all the responses, guys. :smallsmile:

Having had time to think things through, I think I'll probably go with one of these two options:

This is an awesome hook for turning the character into a double agent who is actually in cahoots with the vampires. Have him get recruited into command of the undead hunting organization, but drop a clue or two that something isn't right. He could make a great recurring villain for social encounters down the line.

You just made it extremely easy!
So, since he's half-vampire - when (if the player has already dropped, you can briefly control him as an NPC) the party arrives to investigate this rumor of the humans making pacts that turn them into the undead - if this is actually happening - make the pact require a "Blood Ritual." The Blood Ritual essentially drains the blood from the humans who have accepted this pact. The blood drains to the center and feeds (whatever demon or whatever may be behind this). Being surrounded by so much blood (and perhaps the presence of the demon or whatever is behind all these undead), the "Vampire" side of him begins to kick in and he begins strongly craving Blood of things other than things from mice, steaks, or anything else that might sedate his bloodlust. You can even have the player (or you controlling the PC) actually TURN on the party when he surrenders to this bloodlust - but DO NOT KILL the character (since the player may one day return when he has regained control of his bloodlust). I think the party having to fight him (give him some Vampire powers since he's surrendered to that bloodlust and make for a great fight) would be an amazing twist that even your PLAYERS would be surprised by! His last move would be to turn to mist or bats and make his escape!

bobofwestgate
2019-07-18, 10:20 AM

Have the BBEG kill the character off scene and leave the body for the party to find with a note saying "There is no where you can go that I can't find you and you are powerless to defeat me" really kick them in the teeth to shake their confidence.

Vogie
2019-07-18, 11:50 AM
If you remove him in a non-final manner, you could also potentially pull a full Colville on the party later if the player wants to rejoin briefly later:

The party finds the character imprisoned in a place they're not supposed to be, and frees him
He continues with them for as long as the player can, until
The party finds the character AGAIN, turns to look at the first one, who turns out to be a powerful BEG who shapeshifted into that PC's form, and attacks