PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Ranger: Paths Revision

Trickery
2019-07-16, 11:24 PM
This is a work-in-progress Revision of the Ranger class.

The Ranger class lacks a clear identity. I believe this is because it tries to be too many things. The class is simultaneously a fighter, a rogue, and a druid. it's simultaneously a hunter, a warrior, a wanderer, a spell caster, and a tamer of beasts. As a result, the Ranger either has effective features that make it overpowered when combined (Revised Ranger), or it has ineffective features that make it too weak (PHB Ranger). Regardless, it has far too much to write on its character sheet, and its features are complex and unwieldy.

This homebrew simplifies the Ranger class through two design choices:

The Ranger gains a Path at level 2. These Paths replace Ranger Archetypes and significantly affect play from there on.
The Ranger gains Aptitudes at levels divisible by 3. Like Warlock Invocations, the Ranger chooses the features it wants from these.

Because of these changes, players are given many options to choose from when building their Ranger. They can select exactly those features they want to build the type of Ranger they wish to play.

For those interested, the original thread where I hashed all of this out (and am still discussing it and figuring out what the Ranger should do) is here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?592457-Ranger-Class-Fantasy.

LevelFeatures
1Track, Terrain Feature, Hunter's Mark
2Fighting Style, Path
3Aptitude*2
4ASI
5Extra Attack, Hunter's Mark Upgrade
6Aptitude
7Land's Stride, Path Feature
8ASI
9Apititude
10Camouflage
11Hunter's Mark Upgrade, Path Feature
12Apititude, ASI
13Lightning Reflexes
14Feral Senses
15Apititude, Path Feature
16ASI
17Hunter's Mark Upgrade
18Apititude
19ASI
20Foe Slayer

Unchanged: Hit Dice, armor, weapons, saving throws, skills

Skills: two instead of three

Tools: herbalist kit

Track: you become proficient in Survival (if you already had this skill, choose another). You also add twice your proficiency bonus to Survival checks. Finally, you have advantage on Survival checks made to track a creature.

Terrain Feature: you hail from one of the following terrains and gain the related feature (shamelessly stolen from https://thinkdm.org/hfh/revised-ranger-2018/).

Arctic - You gain resistance to cold damage and cold weather does not impede your travel.
Coast - You gain a swim speed equal to your speed and can hold your breath for a number of minutes equal to 5 + your Constitution modifier (minimum of 5 minutes).
Desert - You gain resistance to fire damage and hot weather does not impede your travel.
Forest - You become proficient with the Perception skill (choose a different one if you already have it) and add +5 to your Passive Perception checks.
Grassland - Your speed increases by 10 feet.
Mountain - You gain a climb speed equal to half of your speed.
Swamp - You gain resistance to poison damage and advantage on saving throws versus poison.
Underdark - You learn Undercommon and do not suffer disadvantage on perception checks made in dim light. Additionally, you have advantage on Investigation checks made to find hidden doors or passages.
Urban - You become proficient with the Stealth skill (choose a different one if you already have it) and have advantage on saving throws versus disease.

Hunter's Mark: as a bonus action, you mark a target. While this target is marked, you always know where it is located relative to yourself (for example, fifty feet to the right). Also, your successful attacks deal 1d6 bonus damage to this target. The mark ceases to be active after one day, if the target dies, or if you mark another target.

At level 5, the bonus damage increases to 1d8.
At level 11, the bonus damage increases to 1d10.
At level 17, the bonus damage increases to 1d12.

Fighting Style: unchanged.

Path: you choose a Ranger Path to follow for the rest of your career. This path informs the type of Ranger you are, whether Warrior, Wanderer, or Beast Lord.

Aptitude: Rangers train special skills depending on their environment and specialties. Choose two aptitudes from the Ranger Aptitudes list. You gain an additional aptitude every three levels.

Land's Stride: you ignore difficult terrain and your movement speed increases by 10'. Additionally, you and your group are not slowed by difficult terrain while traveling and can move stealthily at a normal pace.

Camouflage: while outdoors, you can spend one minute creating camouflage for yourself or another creature that is large or smaller. While the camouflaged, the target has advantage on stealth checks while they remain in the same kind of terrain that the camouflage was made from.

Lightning Reflexes: after spending so much time in the wild, your reactions are as honed as a wild animal's. You gain advantage on Initiative rolls. Any time you fail a Dexterity saving throw, you can reroll the saving throw one time and must use the new roll.

Feral Senses: unchanged, but gained at 14.

Foe Slayer: when you use Hunter's Mark on a target, you may upgrade it to Foe Slayer. In addition to the normal effects, your attacks against the target have advantage and that target has disadvantage on saving throws versus your spells. Once you've used this feature, you must finish a long rest before you can do so again.

The Beast Lord is a Ranger who speaks to beasts as easily as he speaks to humans. This path forges a special relationship with a beast of the wild. That beast becomes the Ranger's companion until it dies or is dismissed.

You gain the ability to speak with beasts.
Choose a beast that has a challenge rating of 1/4 or lower. You may either find this beast in the wild or call it to yourself as an 8-hour ritual. This beast becomes your companion.

Add your proficiency bonus to the beast’s AC, attack rolls, and damage rolls, as well as to any saving throws and skills in which it is proficient. Its hit point maximum equals the hit point number in its stat block or four times your ranger level, whichever is higher. Like any creature, it can spend Hit Dice during a short rest to regain hit points.
You forge a mental link with your companion. This mental link allows the two of you to communicate telepathically over any distance. You control it through this mental link, but that control will be difficult until you grow more adept at using this feature. The beast is especially difficult to control in the heat of comb
Your companion moves on your initiative. It behaves as you command it, even when you are incapacitated, and it can be commanded to take any action that it is capable of doing. However, you cannot command it to attack. Instead, any time you could make an attack, you can have your companion make one attack instead.
Your companion's attacks benefit from your Hunter's Mark feature.
If you are incapacitated, your companion still acts as you direct it and regains its ability to attack.

Level 7: Magical Beast: your companion's attacks become magical. Additionally, the magic infusing your companion allows you to change its size. You can change your companion's size to tiny as an action, or revert it back to its previous size as an action. This does not affect its other stats in any way.

Additionally, you are becoming more adept at controlling your companion in combat. You can spend a bonus action to order your companion to make one attack. Your companion can also make one attack when you spend your bonus action to set Hunter's Mark. Additionally, if you and your companion are both adjacent to a creature and attack that creature, you each have advantage on your first attack against that creature each turn.

Level 11: Mental Mastery: you have mastered mental control over your companion. You no longer need to expend a bonus action for it to take the attack action. If you do expend your bonus action to give this command, your companion can make two attacks.

Additionally, as an action, you may take direct control over your companion. Your body becomes incapacitated as your consciousness moves into its body. While doing say, you see through its eyes and gain its senses. Your companion gains the benefit of your extra attack feature and can spend its bonus action to make two attacks. It also has advantage on Wisdom and Intelligence saving throws while you are inhabiting it. This works over any distance and even across planes of existence. You can dismiss this effect as an action.

Level 15: Shared Existence: the line between you and your companion blurs. You may choose for spells affecting you or your companion to also affect the other. Additionally, when one of you takes damage, you may choose to divide that damage evenly between the two of you.

This Ranger is one with nature. He knows every path and understands the will of nature's creatures. A Wanderer is never lost.

You gain Spellcasting based on the normal PHB Ranger spell list. Additionally, you learn two Druid cantrips of your choice. Your spellcasting ability is Wisdom.
You gain the ability to speak with beasts and plants.
When you make an attack with a weapon, the weapon counts as magical. You may choose to use your Wisdom modifier in place of the attribute you would normally use for the attack and damage rolls.

Level 7: Enhanced Track: if any creatures have passed through your current area within the last hour, you can magically see the paths that they took from that location. If you choose to track one of these creatures, you know what type of creature you are tracking. Additionally, this feature lets you see the path your own life has taken, enabling you to always find your way back to a place you have been before.

Level 11: Speak with Nature: You have advantage on Charisma checks when interacting with beasts or plants, and you may use your Wisdom modifier instead of your Charisma modifier for these checks. You also learn two Druid spells of 4th level, each of which you may cast once per day without expending a spell slot.

Level 15: Commune With Nature: you may cast the Druid spell Commune with Nature as a ritual. You also learn two Druid spells of 5th level, each of which you may cast once per day without expending a spell slot.

The warrior hunter is much like a fighter who specializes in battles in the wild. Unlike the Fighter. this type of Ranger is seldom seen on an open battlefield. However, he is often found hunting down powerful creatures in dense forests, deep caves, or even in the Underdark.

Favored Enemy: your Hunter's Mark is upgraded to Favored Enemy. It no longer requires your bonus action to apply, but you may only apply it once on your turn. As a bonus action on your turn, you may make one weapon attack against the marked target. Additionally, you have +2 to your AC and Saving Throws versus the marked target.
You gain two Hunter's Strikes. You may make a Hunter's Strike as a bonus action on your turn. If the strike calls for a saving throw, the DC is 8 + your proficiency bonus + your strength or dexterity modifier (your choice). You have two uses of your Hunter's Strike feature which replenish on a short rest.

Hunter's Strikes:

Ensnaring Strike - the next target you hit with an attack must make a dexterity saving throw or be restrained for one minute. The target can spend its action on its turn to make a Strength saving throw to break free, ending the effect on a success.
Zephyr Strike - you immediately take the Dash and Disengage actions. Your next attack this turn deals a bonus 1d8 thundering damage if it hits.
Whirlwind Strike - your next attack may be made against any number of targets within 10' of you if it's a melee attack or against all targets within 10' of a point within your range if it's a ranged attack.
Lightning Strike - the next time you hit with a weapon attack, the attack does lightning damage and you may choose for it to jump to another target within 10' of the first, and a third target within 10' of the second. The attack must still beat a target's AC in order to hit that target, though a miss will not stop it from jumping to the next target.
Head strike - the next time you hit with a weapon attack, it deals 1d8 extra damage. The target has disadvantage on its concentration save, if any, against this attack and has disadvantage on its next attack before your next turn.
Hurling Strike - the next target you hit with an attack must make a Strength saving throw or be hurled up to 15' in a direction of your choice. If affected, the creature lands prone. If the space is occupied, the occupant must make a strength saving throw or also be knocked prone.
Gut Strike - the next target you hit with an attack must make a Constitution saving throw or be sickened. The sickened target has disadvantage on attack rolls and has its movement speed halved for one minute. The creature may repeat this saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on a success.

Level 7: Armor Breaker: your weapon attacks overcome all forms of damage resistance. If the target of your Hunter's Mark has temporary hit points, your attacks deal an extra Hunter's Mark die worth of damage versus that target until the temporary hit points are consumed. Additionally, you learn a new Hunter's Strike.

Level 11: Swift Strikes: when you use your Favored Enemy feature to make one weapon attack as a bonus action, you may make two weapon attacks instead. Additionally, you learn a new Hunter's Strike.

Level 15: Improved Favored Enemy: your Favored Enemy feature improves. You now have +4 to your AC and Saving Throws versus the marked target. Additionally, you learn a new Hunter's Strike.

Cat's Eyes: you gain Darkvision out to 120' and have advantage on Perception checks that rely on sight.
Vanish (requires proficiency in Stealth): you gain expertise in Stealth. If you are hiding at the start of your first turn in combat, you may choose to remain hidden even after making attacks this round.
Rabbit's Feet: your movement speed increases by 10'. When you take the Dash or Disengage action, you may make one attack as part of the action.
Curing herb: as a bonus action, you touch a creature, curing one poison or disease afflicting it. You may instead choose to suppress the effects of a curse on that target for eight hours. You may use this a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier, minimum 1, and regain all unspent uses when you finish a long rest.
Healing herb: as a bonus action, you touch a touch creature, healing it for your Ranger level in HP. You may use this a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier, minimum 1, and regain all unspent uses when you finish a long rest.
Spider Venom: as a bonus action on your turn, you coat your weapons in spider venom. The next creature you hit with a weapon attack must make a Constitution saving throw (DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your strength, dexterity, or wisdom, your choice). On a failed save, the creature is poisoned for one minute. 1/Short Rest.

8wGremlin
2019-07-16, 11:52 PM
As a suggestion make the "3/Long Rest" be "Wisdom modifier (minimum of 1) times per long rest."

Kane0
2019-07-17, 12:30 AM
I don't have as much time as I'd like to fine-tooth-comb this through but here's what I have so far:

- You've got a dead level at 13
- Why are we losing a skill prof?
- I'm not convinced Hunter's Mark needs the damage increase as Ranger never really seemed to be lacking on the damage front, but it's only a die size or two so no big deal
- Track still hits that 'removing aspects of play' problem many I have with the ranger, I'd like to see 'you just do it' swapped out for an appropriate bonus like advantage or travelling at regular speed without penalty
- Throwing out casting entirely feels really baby-with-the-bathwater to me, but that's a personal opinion.
- Could we get an urban terrain? Some terrain bonuses definitely seem better than others too.
- On terrains, can we get more or change them around?
- I really, really don't like that fighting style as it's Mearls' attempt to fix TWF by proxy. We're already at the homebrew stage, if we want to fix TWF we can fix TWF.
- Land's Stride feels pretty late in the game for what it is, you could probably replace Evasion with it and think of something else for level 10
- Feral Senses is 14 is a good move, I like that.
- How does beastlord interact with beasts-as-mounts?
- Wanderer seems pretty lacklustre, merely getting back what it lost as a subclass rather than getting cool new stuff like the existing subclasses provide
- Does warrior hunter's features that used to be spells get taken away from Wanderer (like I assume Hunter's Mark did)? If so, man Wanderer really does end up being the runt of the litter
- Aptitudes. Bar one they all seem to be either ripped from other classes (and old ranger subclasses) or just spells the ranger would have gotten. This works for the Warlock because it's already a wierd, limited spellcaster. You're trying to make the ranger a not-caster but still handing spells-but-not-spells to it. When it used to have spells.

Yakk
2019-07-17, 09:32 AM
- Track still hits that 'removing aspects of play' problem many I have with the ranger, I'd like to see 'you just do it' swapped out for an appropriate bonus like advantage or travelling at regular speed without penalty
Does the fly spell remove aspects of play?

I'd tweak the wording of track, but being able to always follow foes is an awesome story hook to me. I mean, as worded, you can follow a cutpurse to her lair through the slums or sewers, as an example of a story hook...

Hunter's Mark
The hour limit seems pointless. It lacks a target restriction.

Myself, I like tying Hunter's Mark to Track, and get rid of the "supernatural" tracking on it.

I've also considered making it a full action, but give it larger bonuses (even if one-shot larger bonuses). That rewards scouting forward and picking your target before combat begins.

For Hunter's Mark as a standard action to be worthwhile, it needs to deal as much damage as a full-attack does over its lifetime; this may even have to include if the creature dies before you kill it.

Fighting Style
So, note that Hunter's Mark applies to every tap. All by itself this starts fixing two weapon fighting style, because TWF's advantage is more taps.

As others have noted, this my not be the place to fix TWF.

You may choose to use your Wisdom modifier in place of the attribute you would normally use for the attack and damage rolls.
That kind of ability at level 2 sucks.

Speak with Nature
This ability doesn't actually let you speak with nature.

Trickery
2019-07-17, 11:19 AM
I don't have as much time as I'd like to fine-tooth-comb this through but here's what I have so far:

Good points. I addressed each:

You've got a dead level at 13 - fixed
Why are we losing a skill prof? - Track adds it back but makes it Survival, specifically. Also added a tool.
I'm not convinced Hunter's Mark needs the damage increase as Ranger never really seemed to be lacking on the damage front, but it's only a die size or two so no big deal - mostly added this due to scaling nature of others' features, such as rogues getting bigger sneak attack dice or paladins getting bigger and more spell slots to smite with.
Track still hits that 'removing aspects of play' problem many I have with the ranger, I'd like to see 'you just do it' swapped out for an appropriate bonus like advantage or travelling at regular speed without penalty - updated it to just advantage when making survival checks to track a creature. However, I kept the magical tracking of Wanderer since I really like this feature.
Throwing out casting entirely feels really baby-with-the-bathwater to me, but that's a personal opinion. - reason I did so is because two of the most common inspirations for the Ranger class - Aragorn and Drizzt - do not have spells. I think taking the class in the spell direction may have never been the correct approach. But I don't think that kind of Ranger should be thrown away, just turned into more of a wise woodsman than a wilderness fighter.
Could we get an urban terrain? Some terrain bonuses definitely seem better than others too. - worked on some of the terrain bonuses until I considered all of them to be competitive with each other, depending on the campaign. Also added urban - I think the bonuses are pretty interesting. Based it on the idea of trying to survive in the underbelly of a seedy, sickly, crime and disease-infested medieval town.
I really, really don't like that fighting style as it's Mearls' attempt to fix TWF by proxy. We're already at the homebrew stage, if we want to fix TWF we can fix TWF. - good point. I removed that.
Land's Stride feels pretty late in the game for what it is, you could probably replace Evasion with it and think of something else for level 10. - moved it, removed Evasion, and added two features that seem appropriate for any Ranger to have - actually good Camouflage and Lightning Reflexes.
How does beastlord interact with beasts-as-mounts? - Simplifies it, actually. The current companion doesn't move on the Ranger's initiative, though it arguably can be made to do so when using it as a mount. This version just has it as a mount. Also, mounts can be freely commanded to dash, disengage, or dodge. The companion can now be freely commanded to do all of those things anyway. As a result, there are fewer things you'll need to work out with your DM. However, I did add a feature to let the BM create barding and other equipment for his companion in a reasonable timeframe. This is mostly because some beasts are more difficult to conceive of armor for than others, such as snakes. I don't want players who pick those beasts to be punished if they choose to craft barding.
Wanderer seems pretty lacklustre, merely getting back what it lost as a subclass rather than getting cool new stuff like the existing subclasses provide. - It's less interesting because it doesn't have as many new features. But what it does have is spellcasting, which was always pretty good, and it also has enhanced spellcasting. I added extra spells at levels 11 and 15 since it seems fine to do so, but I'd be happy to look at its other features if anyone has other ideas of what it might do.
Does warrior hunter's features that used to be spells get taken away from Wanderer (like I assume Hunter's Mark did)? If so, man Wanderer really does end up being the runt of the litter - No, the spells are still there. The warrior hunter is just able to use variants of them without spell slots.
Aptitudes. Bar one they all seem to be either ripped from other classes (and old ranger subclasses) or just spells the ranger would have gotten. This works for the Warlock because it's already a wierd, limited spellcaster. You're trying to make the ranger a not-caster but still handing spells-but-not-spells to it. When it used to have spells. - I removed the ones that looked like spells and updated a few of the ones that were copies of what other classes could do. That said, I need to work on this list because there aren't too many features currently.

I also implemented the Wis Mod (min 1)/Long Rest suggestion for some of the aptitudes. And I made some important changes to beast lord that prevent it from making way too many attacks per round - though I did implement the suggestion of allowing the beast and ranger to flank a target for a bonus. Finally, I did something I think is interesting with Eyes of the Beast. While in this mode, the beast gains extra attacks to make up for the fact that the Ranger is incapacitated and has advantage on Wisdom saving throws since there are two minds inside of it. This should create scenarios where the player can scout with the beast and perhaps even take out a certain target while having some enhancements.

GlenSmash!
2019-07-17, 12:25 PM
Can a Ranger have both a beast companion and spells with your version?

(it's an academic question for me as I prefer spell-less non pet rangers, but I know others who want both at the same time)

Trickery
2019-07-17, 04:16 PM
Can a Ranger have both a beast companion and spells with your version?

(it's an academic question for me as I prefer spell-less non pet rangers, but I know others who want both at the same time)

Not with this version.

Nagog
2019-07-18, 10:06 AM

- You've got a dead level at 13
- Why are we losing a skill prof?
- I'm not convinced Hunter's Mark needs the damage increase as Ranger never really seemed to be lacking on the damage front, but it's only a die size or two so no big deal
- Throwing out casting entirely feels really baby-with-the-bathwater to me, but that's a personal opinion.
- Could we get an urban terrain? Some terrain bonuses definitely seem better than others too.
- On terrains, can we get more or change them around?
- I really, really don't like that fighting style as it's Mearls' attempt to fix TWF by proxy. We're already at the homebrew stage, if we want to fix TWF we can fix TWF.
- Land's Stride feels pretty late in the game for what it is, you could probably replace Evasion with it and think of something else for level 10
- Feral Senses is 14 is a good move, I like that.
- How does beastlord interact with beasts-as-mounts?
- Wanderer seems pretty lacklustre, merely getting back what it lost as a subclass rather than getting cool new stuff like the existing subclasses provide
- Does warrior hunter's features that used to be spells get taken away from Wanderer (like I assume Hunter's Mark did)? If so, man Wanderer really does end up being the runt of the litter
- Aptitudes. Bar one they all seem to be either ripped from other classes (and old ranger subclasses) or just spells the ranger would have gotten. This works for the Warlock because it's already a wierd, limited spellcaster. You're trying to make the ranger a not-caster but still handing spells-but-not-spells to it. When it used to have spells.

The point of changing the way the Ranger gains/uses these effects was to help it gain a better identity as a class. While Rangers had spellcasting before, the spells they had access to were heavily limited and didn't really lend to the idea of a spellcaster. This change takes them out of the "Spellcaster" group, but retains the abilities they had that were key to the class, like Hunter's Mark and other useful abilities."

Yakk
2019-07-18, 03:43 PM
Favored Enemy: your Hunter's Mark is upgraded to Favored Enemy. It no longer requires your bonus action to apply, but you may only apply it once on your turn. As a bonus action on your turn, you may make one weapon attack against the marked target
Doesn't work well with TWF.

Favored Enemy: Your Hunter's Mark is upgraded to Favored Enemy. It no longer requires your bonus action to apply, but you may only apply it once on your turn. As a bonus action on your turn, you may make one weapon attack against the marked target, or two weapon attacks with a light weapon.

Swift Strikes: When you use your Favored Enemy feature to make one weapon attack as a bonus action, you may make two weapon attacks instead, or three if you use a light weapon for all of the attacks.

as a bonus action, you mark a target. While this target is marked, you always know where it is located relative to yourself (for example, fifty feet to the right).
No description of what the target is. You can see? You can distinguish? Is within the same plane?

As written, you simply target the creature you want to track, and then walk towards it.

Like any creature, it can spend Hit Dice during a short rest to regain hit points.
As it doesn't gain HD from the HP you grant it, this becomes pretty meh.

the heat of comb
Needs an at.

Your companion moves on your initiative. It behaves as you command it, even when you are incapacitated, and it can be commanded to take any action that it is capable of doing. However, you cannot command it to attack. Instead, any time you could make an attack, you can have your companion make one attack instead.
Ok, well, that sucks.

Additionally, if you and your companion are both adjacent to a creature and attack that creature, you each have advantage on your first attack against that creature each turn.
So, if you don't choose to flank with your companion...

You fail to mention the multiattack action for beast companions (you ban *attack*, but you as written permit *multiattack*. I assume this isn't intended). You probably should somewhere.

Enhanced Track
Needs a better name. "See All Paths"?

You gain Spellcasting based on the normal PHB Ranger spell list. Additionally, you learn two Druid cantrips of your choice. Your spellcasting ability is Wisdom.
As a crazy idea, what if you gave the Ranger Warlock-like spells? (Short rest recharge, fewer)

Level Slots Known Spell Level
2 1 2 1st
4 2 3 1st
6 2 4 2nd
8 3 5 2nd
10 3 6 3rd
12 3 7 3rd
14 3 8 4th
16 3 9 4th
18 3 10 5th
20 4 10 5th

If the target of your Hunter's Mark has temporary hit points, your attacks deal an extra Hunter's Mark die worth of damage versus that target until the temporary hit points are consumed.
Way, way too niche. In games where temporary HP is common, it works, but not D&D. I mean, I cannot think of a monster that has temporary HP that isn't a reflavored PC.

Armor Breaker: your weapon attacks overcome all forms of damage resistance. Your blows become unavoidable: when you miss a creature with a weapon attack, you still deal your Hunter's Mark damage to the target. Additionally you learn a new Hunter's Strike.

Calen
2019-07-18, 05:32 PM
Ah nice to see one of these. I was thinking of doing it myself after reading the other thread.

As Yakk noted there are no multi-attack listed.
Possibly tie that to Path
Beast Lord When you take the attack action your beast can also make an attack. (And remove the beast attacks for free feature at 7)
Wanderer When you take the attack action you can also cast a cantrip as part of the attack.
Warrior Hunter Could just do a normal multi-attack or...When you take the attack action your weapon deals 3W+Mod damage if this attack misses you may attack the same target again but dealing only normal weapon damage. (If my math is right this rewards crits a little more but still yields the same average damage for most weapons)

Grasslands + Lands Stride equals 50 feet of movement? Not bad just seems unusual.

Lightning Reflexes - Isn't this just advantage on Dexterity saving throws? I am not aware of tiered success on a Dexterity save.

Aptitudes - You just need more of them. :)
Ideas
Terrain Master - You choose a second Terrain Feature
Colossus Slayer - Add your DEX or STR mod to damage dealt by your Hunters Mark to creatures that are at least 1 size category larger than you.
Heavy Draw - When wielding a bow or crossbow you can use your Strength score instead of your Dexterity score when making attacks.
Loyal Companion - Requires Beast Lord When your companion spends a HD to heal they gain a bonus to the healing equal to your Wisdom Modifier (minimum 1)
Relentless Strike - Requires Warrior Hunter When you miss an attack with one of your Strikes you may make another attack roll against a different creature you can see with the same attack. You must complete a short rest to use this feature again.
Nature Touched - Requires Wanderer - You learn 1 additional druid cantrip.

Yakk
2019-07-19, 11:04 AM
I was talking about Beast Multiattack; multiattack is a different action than attack, and as written the attack with companion rules doesn't talk about multiattack.

---

The UA ranger reworked Extra Attack for the builds. I agree with Celen that we should do it here.

Beast Lord 5:
Extra Attack: When you take the Attack action, you can make an extra attack, or your companion can make an attack or multiattack action.

Wanderer 5:
Extra Attack: When you cast a Cantrip as an Action, you can make an attack as well.

Warrior Hunter:
Favored Enemy: your Hunter's Mark is upgraded to Favored Enemy. It no longer requires your bonus action to apply, but you may only apply it once on your turn. Additionally, you have +2 to your AC and Saving Throws versus the marked target.

Extra Attack: When you take the Attack action, you can make an extra attack. If either of those attacks attack your Favored Enemy, you can make an additional attack (or 2 if all of your attacks are with light weapons or bows).

(Stripped the bonus action attack from Warrior Hunter, moved it to Extra Attack).