PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Final Fantasy 14 races

Resileaf
2019-07-16, 11:24 PM
Hello everyone, on a whim and with the possibility of making a solo campaign in the setting of Final Fantasy 14, I've decided to convert the pre-Shadowbringer races to be usable in Pathfinder. This is very much a work in progress, and I was wondering if people here would have advice on if they look good, or if they would need changes. I intend to see if I can convert classes as well, or make custom ones that are more representative of the game later.

Hyur:

The Hyur are said to have first traveled to Eorzea from her surrounding continents and islands. Three great migratory waves later, they are now the most populous of all the civilized races. They exhibit a relatively modest physique, both in height and in build, and are known for their peculiarly short, rounded ears. Hyurs are well suited for traveling long distances by foot, a trait thought to account for their swift proliferation.
Their espousal of an eclectic variety of languages and traditions is a legacy of their diverse heritage – as is their resulting lack of a unified cultural identity.

Racial traits:
+2 constitution, -2 wisdom. Hyur are very adaptable and hardy, but also relatively reckless and foolhardy.
Midlanders: +2 intelligence. Midlanders are naturally inclined to receiving a higher education.
Highlanders: +2 strength. Highlanders have a tall, powerful build compared to their Midlander cousins.
Medium size
Normal speed: 30 feet
Strider: The rate at which forced march DC is increased is doubled. Furthermore, exhaustion penalties are reduced by half.
Bold explorers: Hyur receive a +2 bonus to survival checks
Martial weapon familiarity: Hyurs choose one martial weapon to be proficient with. In a dangerous world, any Hyur must know how to wield a weapon.
Languages: Hyurs begin play speaking common. Furthermore, all Hyurs learn one additional language at creation.

Elezen:

In former times, the Elezen were the sole inhabitants of Eorzea, claiming dominion over her. Traditionally a nomadic people, the tall, slender Elezen believed the realm to be theirs by divine right. Unfortunately, this belief made the eventual appearance of the Hyur in their multitudes akin to an invasion, and a long history of conflict ensued.
Ultimately, the Elezen diverged into the two clans that exist today. The Wildwood Elezen took to the forests to protect their homeland, while the Duskwight Elezen withdrew to caves and subterrane, opting instead to avoid all contact with any but their own.

Racial traits:
+2 intelligence, -2 constitution. Elezen are clever and quick thinking, but their slender bodies are more fragile than average.
Wildwoods: +2 dexterity. The Wildwood Elezen are also nimble in body as well as mind.
Duskwight: +2 wisdom. The Duskwight Elezen have gained a more introspective point of view from their isolation.
Medium size
Wildwoods: Low light vision
Duskwight: Darkvision 60 feet
Elezen magic: Elezen receive a +2 bonus to caster level to break through magic resistance. In addition, they also gain a +2 bonus to spellcraft to identify the properties of magic items. Elezen have a natural affinity to magic.
Elezen resistances: Elezen receive a +2 bonus to will saves against enchantment spells and effects. They are well used to the lure of unfriendly magical creatures.
Keen senses: Elezen receive a +2 bonus on perception checks
Weapon familiarity: Wildwood Elezen are proficient with longbows and shortbows (including composite bows). Duskwight Elezen are proficient with reach weapons.
Languages: Elezen begin play speaking common and Elezen.

Lalafell:

A wee people sporting short, rotund bodies, the Lalafell appear as no more than children to the eyes of most. Many of these nimble little folk hail from the islands of the south seas, where they practice a simple agricultural lifestyle. It was not until the opening of maritime trade routes that the gradual migration of Lalafells to Eorzea began.
Now one of the most well-established races in the realm, Lalafells can be found in great numbers in nearly every city. Though Lalafellin culture places great emphasis on blood relations, individuals are known for getting along amicably with members of all races.

Racial traits:
+2 charisma, +2 intelligence, -2 strength. Lalafells are clever and extremely sociable, but their small bodies are naturally weaker than those of the taller races.
Small size: Lalafells are small creature and gain a +1 size bonus to AC and attack rolls and a -1 size penalty to combat maneuver bonus and defense. They also gain a +4 bonus to stealth checks.
Normal speed: 30 feet. Despite their short size, Lalafells walk no slower than any other Eorzean inhabitant.
Plainsfolk: +2 bonus to stealth checks in temperate forests and plains.
Dunesfolk: +2 bonus to survival checks in hot deserts.
(I couldn't think of any specific bonus to give Lalafell here, would appreciate suggestions.)
Natural merchants: +2 bonus to appraise checks, +2 bonus to diplomacy checks when haggling. Lalafells, especially those of Uldah, are naturally inclined to mercantile efforts.
Languages: Lalafells begin play speaking Common and Lalafellin

Miqo'te:

The ancestors of the Miqo'te made their way to Eorza during the Age of Endless Frost, traversing the frozen seas in pursuit of the wildlife upon which they subsisted. Adaptation to a hunting lifestyle has fashioned them with a keen sense of smell, powerful legs, and a tail which provides them with exceptional balance.
Miqo'te are known to be very territorial, and many individuals tend to lead solitary lifestyles, particularly males.

Racial traits:
+2 dexterity, -2 charisma. Miqo'tes are naturally agile and quick on their feet, but their distrustful and territorial nature makes them difficult to deal with.
Seekers of the Sun: +2 strength. Seekers of the Sun may not look like much, but their bodies are packed with muscles.
Keepers of the Moon: +2 wisdom. The nocturnal Keepers are more in touch with their own spirituality, though they are no less savage than their Seeker cousins.
Medium size
Fast speed: 40 feet. Miqo'tes are particularly quick on their feet.
Senses: Low-light vision
Scent: Miqo'tes can track through scent.
Natural hunters: +2 to attack rolls against bloodied (less than half total health) enemies. All Miqo'tes have an animalistic predatory streak that excites them when they near the kill.
Skilled: Miqo'te receive a +2 bonus to acrobatics and survival checks. Their bodies have evolved to make them keen hunters.
Natural weapons: Miqo'tes have a bite attack that deals 1d4 damage + strength bonus.
Languages: Miqo'tes begin play speaking Common and Miqo'te

Roegadyn:

Known for their brawny builds and piercing eyes, the Roegadyn are the largest and most rugged of Eorzea's races. The majority of the realm's Roegadyn belong to the Sea Wolf clan, a maritime people who earn their keep on or by the sea, be it as sailors, fishermen, or pirates. Comparatively fewer in number are the Hellsguard, who are known for their more earnest demeanors and can often be found working as bodyguards and smithies.

Racial features:
+2 to strength, +2 to constitution, -2 to charisma. Roegadyn are strong and hardy, but intimidating in stature and reputation.
Sea wolves: Immunity to sea sickness, +2 to acrobatics and concentration checks in stormy conditions on a ship. Sea Wolves are born on vessels and are virtually unaffected by any bad weather when on a sea-faring vessel.
Medium size
Hellsguard: Fire resistance 5, +2 to fortitude checks to resist heat effects. The Hellsguard are well protected from the hellish conditions of the territories they generally live in.
Large and in charge: Can use large weapons without penalties. Roegadyn are much taller and beefier than any other race and can therefore use oversized weapons.
Intimidating: +3 to intimidation checks. The Roegadyn inspire fear in many who see them.
Weapon familiarity: Roegadyn are proficient with weapon with the word 'axe' in it.
Languages: Roegadyn begin play speaking Common and Roegadyn.

Au Ra:

The curved horns and beautifully patterned scales that characterize the Au Ra oft give rise to speculation that members of this Hyur-like race native to the Far Eastern continent of Othard are, in fact, the progeny of dragons. This, however, has long been disputed, with scholars citing several distinct differences in the two races as evidence of decidedly dissimilar roots – the first and formost being the enhanced hearing and spatial recognition granted by an Au Ra's cranial projections (traits not attributed to draconian horns) and the second being the gross disproportion in body mass between Auri males and females (again, a train widely unseen in dragons).

Racial features:
+2 to constitution. The Au Ra are toughened by their reptilian nature.
Raen: +2 to wisdom, -2 to charisma. The solitary Raen-blooded Au Ra live a tranquil, introspective life, but they have difficulty dealing with other people as a result.
Xaela: +2 to charisma, -2 to wisdom. The tribal Xaela-blooded Au Ra are natural leaders, but also hot-blooded and prone to recklessness.
Sexual dimorphism: Male and female Au Ra have completely different builds, Male Au Ra gain a +2 bonus to strength on account of their size, but at the price of a -2 penalty to dexterity. The females have the opposite, a +2 bonus to dexterity, with a -2 penalty to strength.
Medium size
Normal speed
Senses: Low-light vision
+1 natural armor. Au Ra scales give them protection.
Keen senses: +2 to perception checks. Au Ra horns give them an enhanced hearing.
Spatial recognition: +2 to saving throws against confusion effects and to disbelief illusions. Au Ra horns give them a sort of sixth sense that keeps them aware of themselves and their surroundings.
Languages: Au Ra begin play speaking Common and Au Ra.

ZenBear
2019-07-16, 11:44 PM
Remember that 5e largely does away with racial penalties to stats. There are only a few monstrous races that break that rule, and in the interest of greater flexibility in class/race combos I would advise against breaking this rule unless you absolutely have to.

Someone else has done this already btw. Not to rain on your parade or anything, but perhaps this can give you a good point of contrast and inspire you to improve upon your ideas and theirs to create a more true to form conversion.

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1HBWX5j

Resileaf
2019-07-16, 11:59 PM
Don't worry, I was certainly not under the impression I was the first to do this, I very much did that for my own fun.

Although I will mention that I specified this was for Pathfinder, not 5E (I appreciate the link, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe it's my computer that can't open it.)

ZenBear
2019-07-17, 12:05 AM
Although I will mention that I specified this was for Pathfinder, not 5E

Whoops, my bad. Reading comprehension ftw.

Well hopefully it can still provide you with some contrast and inspiration. Just google FFXIV homebrew and I’m sure you’ll find it.

Resileaf
2019-07-17, 05:27 PM
Whoops, my bad. Reading comprehension ftw.

Well hopefully it can still provide you with some contrast and inspiration. Just google FFXIV homebrew and I’m sure you’ll find it.

Turns out it's Firefox that doesn't like that link, it works on Chrome. It certainly looks good, and I can find a lot of inspiration from it. Thank you again for the link.