PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Immunity or Resistance to Conjuration Spells

Thurbane
2019-07-17, 12:35 AM
From the simple RAW thread:

Q 113

Bit of a broad question, but...is there anything that gives blanket immunity, or partial resistance, against the Conjuration school of spells?

...if its too broad of a question, I'll start a thread.

A113 No. I would certainly like to explore that further in a thread, though.

Sure. Otiluke's suppressing field comes to mind.

...so, any thoughts, opinions, other options etc?

Cheers - T

Venger
2019-07-17, 12:50 AM
anticipate teleportation and the greater version hamper [teleportation] spells.

steal summoning (spell or invocation) allows you to hijack creatures brought to battle with (summoning) effects.

jintoya
2019-07-17, 12:05 PM
Are you worried you will be summoned, or that a foe will be summoned by an enemy?

Simply put, are we making you (the character) immune or the battlefield?

Biggus
2019-07-17, 01:36 PM
Don't know of anything which applies to all Conjuration spells. Obviously there's the Protection from/ Magic Circle Against spells for summons, but I imagine you already know about those...

For the Orb spells, Acid Arrow etc. there's Ray Deflection (despite the name, the text says "you are protected against ranged touch attacks, including ray spells").

For conjuration spells which allow a save, there's the Arcane Defense feat (CArc p.73).

Gemini476
2019-07-17, 04:00 PM
Getting it on a PC is tricky, but the Flesh/Iron Colossus from the Epic Level Handbook have a Magic Immunity (Ex) ability that didn't get changed in the move to 3.5 (unlike other golems). Off the top of my head you could probably go for Pun-Pun shenanigans, but I honestly wouldn't recommend it since it makes you immune to all spells and chances are that you want some of the nice ones.

If you're a spellcaster you might want to use Genesis to make yourself a demiplane with Limited Magic (No Conjuration) and then just carry around an Acorn of Far Travel to get that effect anywhere. Travelling on and off the plane might be a bit tricky, but Wish would work and if you really wanted to you could make it so that the only Conjuration spells that work are 7th-level (Teleportation) spells.

Getting immunity to being summoned through a Gate is trickier, but if you can somehow finagle your way into the exclusive category of "dieties and unique beings" then you're fine. There's a handful of RAW ways to become a Rank 0 quasi-diety out there, so maybe try one of those. It would probably also work to become a Demon Prince, Archdevil, Darklord, or similar being, but that's also kind of tricky to pull off and comes with some big caveats.

You could maybe also Shadow Walk to an alternate universe where they don't have Conjuration magic, but that seems fairly unlikely and very DM-dependent. d20 Modern Urban Arcana would be moderately safe, I suppose?

Biggus
2019-07-17, 04:04 PM
There's a handful of RAW ways to become a Rank 0 quasi-diety out there, so maybe try one of those.

Are there? What are those?

Venger
2019-07-17, 04:39 PM
Are there? What are those?

The most straightforward one is just to get a couple of hundred people to worship you as a god. it’s really not that difficult

Thurbane
2019-07-17, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Are you worried you will be summoned, or that a foe will be summoned by an enemy?

Simply put, are we making you (the character) immune or the battlefield?

Well, mainly personal defense against offensive Conjuration spells (both those with a save, and those that require a ranged touch attack), but also other forms of Conjuration spells, I guess.

The fact Conjuration automatically bypasses SR has always kind of irked me.

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-17, 05:29 PM
The most straightforward one is just to get a couple of hundred people to worship you as a god. it’s really not that difficult

Have you got a rules reference for that please?

Anthrowhale
2019-07-17, 06:05 PM
To avoid the {Spirit, Planar} Binding spells, you just avoid being an Outsider, Elemental, Fey, or "Spirit" (= incorporeal undead, astral form, etc...).

Venger
2019-07-17, 06:53 PM
Have you got a rules reference for that please?

ok, here you go (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm)

Biggus
2019-07-17, 07:10 PM

ok, here you go (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm)

I'm seeing where it says that a demigod has "anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand devoted mortal worshipers" but not where it says that having a few hundred worshippers automatically grants you demigod status. In fact, on pages 9-13 of Deities and Demigods (which is the book the SRD section you linked is taken from) it presents several options for how divinity can be acquired, one of which is "it can't be, you have to be born with it".

Venger
2019-07-17, 07:18 PM
I'm seeing where it says that a demigod has "anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand devoted mortal worshipers" but not where it says that having a few hundred worshippers automatically grants you demigod status. In fact, on pages 9-13 of Deities and Demigods (which is the book the SRD section you linked is taken from) it presents several options for how divinity can be acquired, one of which is "it can't be, you have to be born with it".

I mean if a demigod has that many worshippers, then if you get that many worshippers, you become one.

Even if you're restricting yourself to faerun, if you're not doing the finite divine mana setting thing where you need to kill or disguise yourself as a god to get divine rank, you can absolutely become a god if you weren't born one. Lots of the faerun pantheon has done this. Like you said, this is one way to get dr, but not the only one.

Biggus
2019-07-17, 07:30 PM
I mean if a demigod has that many worshippers, then if you get that many worshippers, you become one.

But it doesn't say that on the page you linked to, and there's no reason to assume that's the case. If cats have two ears, and I have two ears, that doesn't make me a cat: if demigods have hundreds of worshippers, and I have hundreds of worshippers, that doesn't make me a demigod.

As far as I know, simply getting a certain number of people to worship you causing you to become a demigod isn't listed as an option in any official source.

Venger
2019-07-17, 07:40 PM
Fine. If you want divine rank, take epic destiny (demigod) which will eventually make you a god.

Thurbane
2019-07-17, 07:47 PM
...so, back to the topic at hand.

Otiluke's Suppressing Field is a good option; Globe of Invulnerability (and Lesser) work for spells of the right levels.

Spell Turning wouldn't be very effective, due to its limitation on ranged touch spells. :smallfrown:

Spell Immunity is likewise ineffectual against SR: No spells.

Venger
2019-07-17, 08:46 PM
rings of counterspelling or similar would work against specific effects, regardless of whether they allow sr

Jack_Simth
2019-07-17, 09:09 PM
The fact Conjuration automatically bypasses SR has always kind of irked me.Specific spells do, but there's nothing specifically about the Conjouration school that does it inherently; some Conjuration spells - even Conjuration(Creation) spells - permit SR. Black Blade of Disaster, Blood Star, Cocoon, and a few other spells from Spell Compendium do.

In theory, it's supposed to be 'things that affect the target directly' permit SR, while things that create something non-magical (or mostly non-magical) don't (so a conjured sword that flies around and hits folks permits SR (Black Blade of Disaster), but a spell that makes a wall folks can run into (Wall of Stone) not so much)... but in practice, there's really very little rhyme or reason to it. The spells themselves are supposed to be balanced around total effect - so a damaging Conjouration(Creation) spell that doesn't permit SR should be on part with a similar-level damaging spell that does via being weaker in other ways. In practice, I think only some of the developers were behind that....

Jowgen
2019-07-18, 12:32 AM
Covering yourself head to toe with spellblade weapons attuned to the worst offender spells might work.

I could actually see these things being standard issue for any djin wanting to avoid being planar bound. They'd be going about their day, and every couple hours they'd get a ping from their spellblade having absorbed another calling attempt, which they promptly use for giggles.

Venger
2019-07-18, 12:41 AM
Covering yourself head to toe with spellblade weapons attuned to the worst offender spells might work.

I could actually see these things being standard issue for any djin wanting to avoid being planar bound. They'd be going about their day, and every couple hours they'd get a ping from their spellblade having absorbed another calling attempt, which they promptly use for giggles.

Wrap chains around yourself and thread them through spellblade shuriken like popcorn strings. Talk about christmas tree effect!

TiaC
2019-07-18, 01:28 AM
Planar Shepard to a plane that is inaccessible from the Astral will block a lot of effects within your bubble.