PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Kensai Monk Extra Attack

Zilen
2019-07-17, 03:43 PM
Hi all!
This is the situation in which I need help!

One of my players is playing a way of the kensei monk, and he pick the longsword as his melee martial weapon.
Now here is the thing, in lvl 5, when monks gains one extra attack, he could use the versitile propierty of the longsword to make one attack with his two hands (which is okey), now my question is:

If he does that for his first attack, he can make a unarmed attack in the second attack?

I mean, after the first attack, the PC could just grab the longsword with one hand and make the unarmed attack?

Of course, all of this is because of the Agile parry feature kensei monks have.

Thank you for your time!! :D

Misterwhisper
2019-07-17, 03:46 PM
Hi all!
This is the situation in which I need help!

One of my players is playing a way of the kensei monk, and he pick the longsword as his melee martial weapon.
Now here is the thing, in lvl 5, when monks gains one extra attack, he could use the versitile propierty of the longsword to make one attack with his two hands (which is okey), now my question is:

If he does that for his first attack, he can make a unarmed attack in the second attack?

I mean, after the first attack, the PC could just grab the longsword with one hand and make the unarmed attack?

Of course, all of this is because of the Agile parry feature kensei monks have.

Thank you for your time!! :D

Yes he could make his second normal attack unarmed. It could also just be a kick or something if he wanted to keep both hands on the weapon for thematics

jas61292
2019-07-17, 03:46 PM
Yeah. That's fine. He technically does not even need to let go with one hand, as an unarmed strike is not specifically a punch. It could be a kick or headbutt or whatever. But even if he wants it to be a punch, taking a hand off to do so is perfectly legal.

Vogie
2019-07-18, 10:37 AM
Yes. If he makes a pair of two-handed longsword attacks, then flurry of blows with a pair of unarmed attacks. In addition to just making a free hand, attacks with Headbutts, elbows, knees, kicks and the like are all fair game.

As a DM, you can even reflavor the player's unarmed bludgeoning attacks to include their fighting style, such as:

punching with the sword hilt in hand
striking with the flat of the blade
a smack with the longsword's sheath

Zilen
2019-07-25, 04:15 PM
Hi all!
Thank you very much for your answers!!

Max_Killjoy
2019-07-25, 07:00 PM
I was going to say the "unarmed" attacks could be pomell strikes, elbows, etc, but I got ninja'd.

Also check out all the grappling that was part of some longsword "schools".

Amechra
2019-07-25, 08:33 PM
Unarmed strikes in general don't need to use your hands - after all, there are these fantastical things called "kicks" :smallbiggrin:.