PDA

View Full Version : Things That Feed on Fear & Pain

Palanan
2019-07-17, 04:16 PM
I need suggestions for creatures that feed on fear, pain, and the psychic impressions of lingering trauma. They don’t necessarily need to have caused these emotions themselves, but I’m looking for creatures that would be drawn to the emotional afterimage of traumatic events.

That said, creatures that cause fear in order to feed are also useful. I’m open to all official 3.5 and Pathfinder content, plus Dragon magazine. I’m aware of the fihyr, but what else is out there?

daemonvatis
2019-07-17, 04:34 PM
Most spirits/ghosts/spectres can be flavored as being drawn to/feeding on emotion. Creatures with fear abilities would be ideal, but you can also phrase WIS/CHA drain/damage as being caused by the feeding process.

If undead aren't suitable, you could feasibly go with constructs that are drawn to emotion because they can't normally feel it for themselves. Perhaps even more interesting would be some sort of fallen paladin that still can't feel fear--any fear--and are drawn to it in others.

thethird
2019-07-17, 04:38 PM
At the top of my mind a joystealer should work (mm IV) i cant check the gray jester (heroes of horror) but if memory serves perhaps.

Thurbane
2019-07-17, 05:21 PM
I was going to suggest Caller in Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/callerInDarkness.htm), Eye of Fear and Flame (BoVD), Fihyr/Greater Fihyr (MM2), Nightmare Beast (MM2) and Phantasmal Slayer (HoH)- but reading them, none are specifically called out as "feeding" on fear or pain...

Braininthejar2
2019-07-17, 05:32 PM
Will-o-wisps are said to feed on fear.

daremetoidareyo
2019-07-17, 05:57 PM
Dread witch prestige class?

DrMotives
2019-07-17, 06:06 PM
Corruption Eaters (Heroes of Horror) feed on corruption and taint, which are somewhat related to fear & pain. Psionic monsters like the Thought Eater will eat all sort of memories, painful & pleasant. Otherwise there's the Finnish deity Loviatar, who's now part of the Forgotten Realms pantheon. Her portfolio is pain and torture, digging into her stuff may lead to something useful.

Cygnia
2019-07-17, 08:27 PM
At the top of my mind a joystealer should work (mm IV) i cant check the gray jester (heroes of horror) but if memory serves perhaps.

Grays Jesters were my first thought too, but those actually feed on positive emotions.

MesiDoomstalker
2019-07-17, 11:13 PM
Phasmadaemon's (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/daemons/daemon-phasmadaemon/)have an ability that is explicitly 'Consume Fear'.

ShurikVch
2019-07-18, 05:48 AM
Fear Moths from the Dragons of Faerûn

Miss Disaster
2019-07-18, 10:22 AM
A creature that uses the Black Seraph discipline (from Path of War) is a perfect thematic fit for your needs.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/black-seraph-maneuvers/

It even has a 2nd level maneuver called "Fear Eating Technique". Lots of ways to add martial disciplines to creatures through adding class levels or templates.

jintoya
2019-07-18, 12:42 PM
I need suggestions for creatures that feed on fear, pain, and the psychic impressions of lingering trauma. They don’t necessarily need to have caused these emotions themselves, but I’m looking for creatures that would be drawn to the emotional afterimage of traumatic events.

That said, creatures that cause fear in order to feed are also useful. I’m open to all official 3.5 and Pathfinder content, plus Dragon magazine. I’m aware of the fihyr, but what else is out there?

{scrubbed}

The mind flayers likely have some things like this, I'd look at elder evils.

Exemplars of evil might help you flavor a villain if this is DM work.

There are undead that do things like this, you could also work something like a dementor from Harry Potter. Possibly check the undead options in libris mortis, but I can't name any specifically.

This sounds like something I'd look seriously at either Heroes of Horror for, or an evil fey
They are emotional beings, and I know there's some that eat emotions.

PraxisVetli
2019-07-20, 07:42 AM
Fear Moths from the Dragons of Faerûn
Came here to say this.

A creature that uses the Black Seraph discipline (from Path of War) is a perfect thematic fit for your needs.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/black-seraph-maneuvers/

It even has a 2nd level maneuver called "Fear Eating Technique". Lots of ways to add martial disciplines to creatures through adding class levels or templates.

What template grants maneuvers?

Efrate
2019-07-20, 01:26 PM
There are several class templates and class archtypes, plus the various martial training feats. For pure slap it on a monster templates I am not seeing much at a cursory glance.

Psyren
2019-07-20, 02:46 PM
Crucidaemons don't feed on pain directly, but rather use it as "seasoning" for the souls they consume by "marinating" (torturing) mortals before dispatching them.

An Emotion Ooze that is attuned to fear will heal itself while it's near a creature that is afraid.

Palanan
2019-07-20, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Psyren
An Emotion Ooze that is attuned to fear will heal itself while it's near a creature that is afraid.

Very nice, thank you.

ShurikVch
2019-07-20, 07:52 PM
Dragon Annual 5 has "Nothing To Fear: the ecology of the Feyr" article.
According to the article, they're "made from that emotions" (fear), and "nourished by" it.
Also, according to this (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Feyr), "Feyr" and "Fihyr" are the same creature