PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Is dreamspeaker too strong?

Selion
2019-07-17, 04:38 PM
I mean, the elven alternate racial trait:
Dreamspeaker: A few elves have the ability to tap into the power of sleep, dreams, and prescient reverie. Elves with this racial trait add +1 to the saving throw DCs of spells of the divination school and sleep effects they cast. In addition, elves with Charisma scores of 15 or higher may use dream once per day as a spell-like ability (caster level is equal to the elf’s character level). This racial trait replaces elven immunities.

I'm beginning a campaign which i think it will be heavily focused on investigation and intrigue, i built my character, which is one of my favorite characters of all times, and i picked this racial trait.
Everything is fine, the trait does fit wonderfully with my PC, the DM is happy, i'm happy, everyone is happy. OK.
BUT... we haven't still began to play, i already have ideas of using this trait that seem inappropriate for a level 1 character. Dream is a 5th level spell, it's not a powerful spell in respect to its level, but it seems too good at beginning.
Things i thought i could do:
- use it on a lost child to communicate with him and verify if he's alive(it's in another player background)
- talk to the BBEG to lure him in a trap
- have a sure way to communicate if captured

and we haven't still began playing...
I fear that other players may feel overwhelmed, should i limit myself and use it just in dire cases, or should i confide in the party and the DM to open for interesting scenarios following on my actions?

I've another exit strategy, which i'll discuss with my DM tomorrow. My character has to report to some allies once a week through dreams, I think I could limit the uses of this ability just increasing this encounters at a rate of thrice per week.
(if the dm is reading: hi DM, i'm georsi :smallsmile:)

upho
2019-07-17, 09:31 PM
Dream is indeed powerful as an SLA at 1st, especially in an intrigue-/investigation-heavy campaign. However, since it has some pretty tight restrictions and only allows for one-way communication, it's also relatively easily kept in check by the GM. Provided the GM is fully aware of the spell's potential and is prepared for its possible impact on the game, of course. As a GM for this kind of game, I wouldn't be worried, really. I'd see it as a quite interesting potential hook instead. And since it appears you've already talked with your GM about the possibilities, I don't think you have a reason to worry either.

Your party will likely have much more powerful and potentially campaign-disrupting tools at your disposal within a few levels. This shouldn't be difficult to handle.