PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Phalanx Soldier and 2 handed weapons

Garktz
2019-07-17, 06:21 PM
So i have a question about the Phalanx Soldier level 3 ability, Phalanx Fighting.

At 3rd level, when a phalanx soldier wields a shield, he can use any polearm or spear of his size as a one-handed weapon.

This ability replaces armor training 1.

How does this affect other feats and/or skills regarding two-handed weapons?
The feat in particular im looking for is Pushing assault:

When you hit a creature your size or smaller with a two-handed weapon attack modified by the Power Attack feat, you can choose to push the target 5 feet directly away from you instead of dealing the extra damage from Power Attack. If you score a critical hit, you can instead push the target 10 feet directly away from you. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunities, and the target must end this move in a safe space it can stand in. You choose which effect to apply after the attack roll has been made, but before the damage is rolled.

So for this feat, do i need to use a weapon with two hands (like a long sword), or do I have to just use a two-handed weapon (like a polearm)?
If its mean to say "two-handed weapons", how does this work with the Phalanx Soldier ability to use a two-handed Polearm as a one-handed?

Thanks for all responses

PraxisVetli
2019-07-18, 03:15 AM
I would think a 'two handed weapon attack' could be phrased to mean 'an attack with a two handed weapon.'
Now the fact that you are wielding a two handed weapon in one hand doesn't make it not a two handed weapon.
If that makes any sense.

Garktz
2019-07-18, 06:03 AM
So it says you have to hold your weapon with both hands and not that you have to use a two-handed weapon?

It should diferencia te between "a two-handed weapon" as a type of weapon and "a weapon two-handed" as a way of holding a weapon....

Because one could argue its about the size of the weapon (two-handed weapon) and not about the power of the atack (weapon two-handed) since you dont deal the extra dmage

AnimeTheCat
2019-07-18, 06:58 AM
based only off of what you've quoted I don't think you can (though as a DM i would let you anyway). Phalanx Fighter says that you weild a polearm as a one handed weapon. So even if you're weilding a Longspear, for instance, it's considered a one-handed weapon for you. Since Pushing Assault specifically says a "Two Handed Weapon Attack" this means that you have to be attacking with a two handed weapon, which you're not, you're attacking with a one-handed weapon. This is weird because without phalanx fighter, you could just be attacking with a two handed weapon in one hand, which would be a "two handed weapon attack" (if you can even do that. Haven't needed to research it because nobody's ever asked me if they can do it).

That's my 2 cp thoughts based purely on the information presented to me at the present time, and is kind of just my opinion.

exelsisxax
2019-07-18, 07:43 AM
You've decided to wield it as a one-handed weapon. It does not benefit from anything that specifies two-handed weapons or two-handed attacks, because you aren't doing either.

upho
2019-07-18, 06:02 PM
The best way to combine the Phalanx benefit with Pushing Assault is to simply ditch Phalanx, and replace it with the superior feat Shield Brace (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/shield-mastery-feats/shield-brace-combat-shield-mastery/). Voila! Two-handed weapon still treated as two-handed in all regards as well as if wielded two-handed, and you still get to wear a shield (get a mithral one to get rid of attack penalties).

The unfortunate truth is that the Phalanx Soldier archetype kinda sucks. I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone not specifically looking for a weird optimization challenge or something...

grarrrg
2019-07-18, 06:33 PM
You've decided to wield it as a one-handed weapon. It does not benefit from anything that specifies two-handed weapons or two-handed attacks, because you aren't doing either.

Correct, FAQ (https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9rb5)
You use one hand? It's effectively a one-handed weapon.