PDA

View Full Version : [Poll] What Age of Dragonlance?

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-09, 02:56 PM
I can't figure out how to make a real poll, there is supposed to be an option somewhere, but I can't find it. So, here is a make-shift poll:

Basically, if you where to play a campaign in the Dragonlance setting, what age would you prefer?
a) Age of Dreams
b) Age of Light
c) Age of Might
d) Age of Despair
e) Age of Mortals
f) After the War of Souls

As a refresher, the Age of Dreams is the beginning where the world is new and most races are created (not Kender, gnomes, etc.). The Age of Light is when the first dragon wars were fought and the Greygem was created. The Age of Might is the rise of the Kingpriest and Istar, ending in the cataclysm. The Age of Despair is post-cataclysm and when the War of the Lance took place and ends with Takhisis stealing the world. The Age of Mortals is when the Dragon Overlords appear and when the War of Souls takes place. Here is the timeline if you need to refer to it. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance_timeline)

JadedDM
2007-10-09, 05:15 PM
Since I only play 2E, I'd be limited to the Age of Despair or earlier, unless I wanted to do some really heavy converting. But really, I liked the Age of Despair the best, in that brief point of time after the War of the Lance but before the Second Cataclysm.

Name_Here
2007-10-09, 05:26 PM
I like the age of mortals. It's just an incredible storyline with so many different factions. The dragon overlords who are immensily powerful but not numerous enough to really rule while the mages are desperately trying to rekindle magic to earn their place in the new world order. And the few who are able to rekindle their magic are able to wield enormous power over the old power structures.

And all that while an even more powerful enemy is lurking waiting and growing ever stronger.

I tend to like me settings barely hanging onto order against all hope.

StickMan
2007-10-09, 05:33 PM
Well I have no clue cause I know nothing of Dragonlance but the forum poll feature was disabled awhile back to save bandwidth.

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-10, 04:42 PM
Well I have no clue cause I know nothing of Dragonlance but the forum poll feature was disabled awhile back to save bandwidth.

Ah, that makes sense. They should update the FAQ.

Also, this is a hypothetical question and only for flavor purposes, so ignore any potential difficulties due to conversion between editions and such.

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2007-10-10, 05:32 PM
I grew up with the books that mostly centered around the Age of Despair, so I rather like that time period. I haven't read many game-related novels in recent years, so I'm not all up on the Age of Mortals, and don't really bother with it.

The rest of the Ages are cool, but Despair was most fun.

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-10, 10:22 PM
Age of despair, for sure. The chronicles and legends (to my memory) are the most exciting stories in the series. Also Dragons of Summer Flame.

Belteshazzar
2007-10-10, 10:42 PM
Hold up, on that timeline it says Kyrnn was returned to its natural orbit sometime near the end of the age of mortals. Does this mean Kyrnn is accessible from the Great Wheel now or what?

Of all the dragonlance characters my two favorite were Lord Toad (I think he was banished to Ravenloft or something) and Thunder the Blue Dragon. Oh and many of the short stories were fairly good but I could never really get into the whole Seasons thing because it I had to hear about Tanis or Kitiara and I could not stand either of them.
I suppose I preferred the late age of despair and early age of Mortals. Never even saw that last age at all because all my books are old TSR published paperbacks I got at a thrift store. My real problem with Dragonlance was my difficulty in placing locations so all I got were glimpses of a few places.