PDA

View Full Version : RAW method to grapple enemy and negate/use its special abilities and attacks?

MinotaurWarblad
2019-07-18, 02:55 AM
I’m aware of Spell Turning and dominating effects.

What I mean is an ability that can function like so:
• Beholder shooting a couple eye rays at you? Grab the stalks and redirect one to itself and the other to its most loyal minion.
• Dragon breathing fire? Wrap your arms around its neck to quench the flames.
• Spellcaster about to trap you in a Forcecage and follow it up with quickened Dimensional Anchor? Snap one of the bars like a twig with two fingers. Then grab the caster by the ankle and slam him into the dirt beneath your feet where he belongs.

As far as 3rd party books go, Spheres of Might and Spheres of Power can almost accomplish this to the extent I desire, but the best I’ve found so far is with the Book of Templates. Can anyone else here do better?

I’m trying to create a particular character for actual play.
I’ve had a long series of recurring dreams where I’m put into the body and mindset of a young man wrongfully accused of terrorism in a world where almost 75% of the population has strange powers and it’s a part of daily life. It’s like My Hero Academia but with fewer heroes and lower crime rates. And taking place in the U.S. instead of Japan.
These dreams have been going on for over a decade, and it’s really making me want to try this guy in a game.

Psyren
2019-07-18, 10:18 AM
By 3.5 RAW, none of these are possible:

- Supernatural abilities don't have somatic components, so grappling doesn't really affect them. This goes for both the eye rays and the breath weapon.
- Force effects can't be physically broken ("snapped") by anything - only an effect like disintegrate or a rod of cancellation can free you.

Pathfinder is slightly different. You already mentioned Spheres, but even in first party, force effects aren't unbreakable. (They're just extremely strong, but you could theoretically build a stronger character, especially an Epic/Mythic one). As for supernatural abilities, in PF they're not automatically still and silent, rather they have whatever components make sense for the ability in question. For example, a Witch's Cackle is Su but does require the Witch to make a bunch of loud noises while laughing. Similarly, a dragon's breath weapon does require the dragon to inhale and exhale to work, but if you were big/strong enough to pin it, you could clamp its mouth shut.

MisterKaws
2019-07-18, 10:21 AM
Living Antimagic Field or Living Dominate or Living Spell Turning can all do that. With a Spell Sovereign, plus some way to cast those spells as lower levels, and another ooze-manipulating class, you might be able to do it.

Psyren
2019-07-18, 10:25 AM
Yeah I'll walk that back and say "there's no way for a PC to innately do all that in 3.5." Obviously a sentient AMF can do that stuff, if you find one + a way to control it :smalltongue:

Note that the Forcecage + AMF thing is.... contentious at best. (I still remember the comic thread...)

MinotaurWarblad
2019-07-18, 05:39 PM
Yeah I'll walk that back and say "there's no way for a PC to innately do all that in 3.5." Obviously a sentient AMF can do that stuff, if you find one + a way to control it :smalltongue:

Note that the Forcecage + AMF thing is.... contentious at best. (I still remember the comic thread...)

Not even with 3rd party stuff? Damn.

MisterKaws
2019-07-18, 06:00 PM
Not even with 3rd party stuff? Damn.

Again, with my suggestion of Spell Sovereign, you just need to find a way to cast Antimagic Field as a 4th-level spell. Runescarred Berserker casts it as a 5th-level spell, so you'd only need to lower it one level.

Thurbane
2019-07-18, 06:12 PM
If you added this ability on to the Reaping Mauler PrC (and removed the size req), it would be a much more appealing PrC.

Quick check of feats doesn't show up anything, but there may be some PrC that gives the ability to suppress SLAs or Su abilities in a grapple? Or maybe I'm misremembering...

Anthrowhale
2019-07-18, 07:54 PM
None of these are precisely what you want, but...:

Spellthief 5 gets "Steal Spell-Like Ability" and Spellthief 15 gets "Steal Spell Resistance".

Other than that, there is the "Ability Rip" Sorcerer/Wizard 7 spell which has range: touch.

MinotaurWarblad
2019-07-19, 01:40 AM
None of these are precisely what you want, but...:

Spellthief 5 gets "Steal Spell-Like Ability" and Spellthief 15 gets "Steal Spell Resistance".

Other than that, there is the "Ability Rip" Sorcerer/Wizard 7 spell which has range: touch.

Oh yeah, forgot Spellthief! Mixing that with some other crud might work for it.