PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Primal Path: Path of the Breaker (WIP)

RATHSQUATCH
2019-07-18, 07:46 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm aware from the get go that this needs a lot of work. This is my first draft of this primal path, so roast me if its needed. I'm looking for feedback on to balance this and make it playable. Anyways, thanks, subclass is below:

The Path of the Breaker

A rage might be described by some as a state of uncontrollable anger. To some though, this rage gives an individual intense focus and an awareness of the world around them unlike any other time in their existence. Through their rage, these barbarians are able to channel their inner power into feats of concentration so intense that the target struck either loses confidence within themselves or their protective armors simply fail as the barbarian finds the exact chink, the exact weakness within it. By using a heavy and two-handed weapon, these barbarians are able to weaken and then break their opponents.

Break

At 3rd level when you adopt this primal path, during a rage when you strike an opponent with a melee attack with a heavy two-handed weapon, you may apply one of the following effects:

· The target’s armor (natural or otherwise) is reduced by half as you pin-point strike it, damaging it, round up. For example, a creature with a +5 natural armor bonus will have their armor reduced by 3, lowering their effective armor class.

· The target’s spellcasting capability is reduced. Your blow shatters the spellcasters confidence, reducing the proficiency bonus from their spell DC by half.

· You reduce a character’s combat capability by shattering their confidence in battle. They may only apply half of their Strength or Dexterity modifier to damage or only half their proficiency bonus to attacks (your choice).

· You can break certain resistances or capabilities of a creature. Should you know a resistance the creature possesses you can break that resistance and should have a character have an ability such as blindsense or flight, you can choose to break that instead.

The effects of your “break” last for 1 minute and you may use this feature once, then require a short or long rest before it can be used again.

Combo Breaker

At 6th level, you’ve learned to develop your concentration in order to apply multiple effects when you use your Break feature. You may now apply 2 different “breaks” to the target with one use of this feature. You may still only use the break feature once per rest though.

Ability Scan

At 10th level, by taking a turn to do nothing but study an opponent, you can focus your concentration on them, perceiving a weakness or capability that your foe might have. At the end of your turn, you gain insight onto one of the target’s following features:

· Natural Armor (if any)

· Damage Resistances

· Damage Immunities

· Senses

· Special Abilities (DM’s discretion)

Ultimo Breaker

At 14th level, you have maximized your concentration, being able to completely rip the confidence and capabilities from most enemies. When you use your Breaker ability, you may apply one of each “break” described above in the Break Feature section.

Thanks in advance

- The RATHSQUATCH

nickl_2000
2019-07-18, 08:27 AM
First thing first. Most often homebrew classes are put into this forum http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design. That being said....

Break - You do a good job make thing follow the standard Barbarian schema (giving a rage combat ability at level 3). However, even as a once per short/long rest ability this is really, really broken. 5e depends on bounded accuracy, so attack bonuses/ac/spell DC are very specific for the NPC. As it is currently, you are basically making the one NPC you apply this to pointless until they die in the battle. I would look at making it happen more often and applying advantage/disadvantage on things. That fits more into the way 5e was designed.

Combo Breaker - So, now you are enhancing an already pretty broken ability. I would look at refactoring this, however it may be fine if your break is changed

Ability Scan - I see no issues with this, other than you don't have an action cost. Does this code an action? bonus action? what exactly?

Ultimo Breaker - See above.

Overall, you need to look at your balance and work better within bounded accuracy. This class is to powerful as is and needed to be messed around with to reduce the overall power.

suplee215
2019-07-18, 08:41 AM
Breaker and Combo Breaker are completely broken. But I do think Breaker has an easy fix. Instead of halting stats, I will make it where " whenever you hit a creature the creature gains a -1 penalty to either attack, ac, or a saving throw of your choice until the start of your next turn". I am actually using that ability for a magic item I am making and it seems to fit the theme you are going for. I am unsure what to use for the 6th level but I think doubling the level 3 ability is not idea. Usually the level 6 ability is a defense ability but the level 3 one has the ability. I see this subclass as a battle field controller. How about "a creature affected by your break ability is demoralized even if they wish to flee. The speed of a creature you hit is reduced by half ". I also would not limit break to two handed weapons as the barbarian already does that a lot and I prefer to encourage more options.

RATHSQUATCH
2019-07-18, 01:23 PM
Both of these comments are great feedback thanks. I though about advantage/disadvantage coming along with Break instead of taking other things outside the game away. Obviously this is a homage to Auron from FFX, so trying to figure out how to balance that in a D&D setting is tough. I also had an idea of using Break to limit other things like movement, mental capabilities (almost like a stun effect) but I didn't want to get that down into the weeds on this. Looking at this advice, I like the idea of applying a -1 to attack, AC, whatever it might be then at 6th level simply having it put a -1 on another separate ability. Ultimo Breaker could apply a -1 to all d20 rolls and AC rolled into one. That probably evens this out a lot better.

I'll rewrite the wording on Ability Scan as its meant to be an action, just didn't write it in.

Thanks again. I'll rework this and update it.

In regards to posting in the wrong area, I've been off the forums for awhile and have it in the wrong place, admins please move if need be and I'm sorry about that.

suplee215
2019-07-18, 05:27 PM
That seems much more balance, although I feel like the subclass in that case is built around a single mechanic (Break) and just boosting it as you go. Which is perfectly fine and works, just isn't how all subclasses are made in the game. But I put a little too much thought into that type of thing.

RATHSQUATCH
2019-07-19, 07:14 AM
Tried working this this a bit, still needs work, but I think this is better. What do you all think?

BREAK
At 3rd level when you adopt this primal path, during a rage when you strike an opponent with a melee attack with a heavy two-handed weapon, you may apply one of the following effects:
• You reduce the target’s AC by 1.
• You reduce the target’s attack rolls by 1.
• You reduce the target’s damage rolls by 1.
• You reduce the target’s speed value by half.
At 6th level, you add the following breaks to the list of those that can be selected:
• You cause the target to lose one damage resistance (DM’s choice).
• You reduce a target’s damage Immunity to only resistance.
At 10th level, you add the following breaks to the list of those that can be selected:
• You remove a target’s capability to fly.
• You give the target disadvantage on all saving throws.
• All saving throws made against the target are at advantage.
At 14th level, you add the following breaks to the list of those that can be selected:
• You break your targets ability to use tremorsense or blindsense.
• You remove a target’s condition immunity.
• You break one of the target’s special abilities (DM’s discretion) and they cannot use it.
The effects of your “break” last for 1 minute and you may use this feature once, then require a short or long rest before it can be used again.