PDA

View Full Version : Belmont character build

jaappleton
2019-07-18, 08:15 AM
So, I know, very few Belmonts can actually use magic. Trevor doesn't, Richter doesn't... I know.

I'm going for Richter here. Specifically, his Symphony of the Night interation.

That said, there are spells which I think can replicate his abilities. As such, I'm going for a spellcaster. The game I'm playing in, Curse of Strahd, goes only until level 10 or so.

So abilities beyond that, fairly useless to me. So I need to accelerate things a bit, get certain abilities many would consider capstones earlier than normal. This means spells sooner, so I need a full caster, as opposed to a half caster like Paladin.

Its for this reason I'm rolling with Pact of the Blade Warlock, specifically Celestial. Working with my DM, I've been able to modify the spell list to encapsulate Richter's abilities a bit better.

Patron Spells
Arcane Weapon (from UA Artificer for his flame whip), Protection from Evil & Good
Spiritual Weapon (Cross boomerang), Aganazzar's Scorcher (throwing holy water)
Spirit Guardians (Item Crash - Cross), Haste
Death Ward, Sickening Radiance (reflavored as rain, Item Crash - Holy Water)
Animate Objects (Item Crash - Dagger using tiny objects), Holy Weapon

Invocations include Thirsting Blade, Improved Pact Weapon (using a Whip), and Eldritch Smite. Not entirely sold on Smite, I think the one that lets me cast Jump might be better since Richter's pretty acrobatic, but Jump in 5E also totally sucks and I've never seen it actually help anything. That might just be my table, though.

Now, obviously I don't have every ability he has, that's nearly impossible.

But am I missing something glaring? I can see arguing Item Crash - Dagger could be Conjure Volley, but with Warlock style casting, I think getting more mileage out of the concentration spell Animate Objects would be better.

Man_Over_Game
2019-07-18, 10:19 AM
TBH, the Monster Slayer seems more like a Belmont than a Warlock. Belmonts don't usually rely on magic, when Warlocks do. Additionally, you'd technically have to choose spells from the Warlock spell list, which isn't exactly the holiest list you can pick.

Lastly, if we're assuming the Castlevania animated series is canon, it seems that Belmonts typically shunned the idea of using arcane magic.

I feel like this is closer to "Warlock that plays like Belmont" rather than "Belmont that fits in 5e".

Nagog
2019-07-18, 01:13 PM
TBH, the Monster Slayer seems more like a Belmont than a Warlock. Belmonts don't usually rely on magic, when Warlocks do. Additionally, you'd technically have to choose spells from the Warlock spell list, which isn't exactly the holiest list you can pick.

Lastly, if we're assuming the Castlevania animated series is canon, it seems that Belmonts typically shunned the idea of using arcane magic.

I feel like this is closer to "Warlock that plays like Belmont" rather than "Belmont that fits in 5e".

I agree with this, Ranger feels more like a Belmont than a Warlock would. I'd also look at Dex-based Paladins, set up to play like a ranger, perhaps with Magic Initiatie to pick up Hunter's mark? You'd miss out on the cantrips from the feat, but if you'd like to pick up some Cantrips, Hex does a similar thing with trading the tracking ability for disadvantage on ability-based checks.