PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Would This Unbalance A Race?

Palanan
2019-07-18, 10:09 AM
I’m working on a custom race which, for story reasons, currently has +2 Str, +2 Cha, and -2 Wis.

So far this should be pretty standard for Pathfinder, but I’m considering a trait which would allow clerics of this race to consider their Wisdom as two points higher for purposes of channeling and spellcasting, if they’re clerics of this race’s patron divinity.

I’m not wedded to this idea, but it makes sense from a story perspective. But would this be too much of a benefit?

TheFamilarRaven
2019-07-18, 10:19 AM
Tieflings treat their charisma as 2 points higher for all sorcerer class abilities if they have either the infernal or abyssal bloodlines. There are variant tieflings that boost charisma instead of having a charisma penalty. Spell casting is a class ability of the sorcerer.

So your proposed race is pretty much in line with the standard tiefling considering you have a similar limitation on when they can treat their wisdom as 2 points higher. (Although in my opinion tiefling is one of the more versatile and powerful races to begin with).

Edit: Also, channeling is keyed off Charisma (typically) not wisdom.

Psyren
2019-07-18, 10:23 AM
Seems fine to me. What's the creature type?

The "counts as 2 points higher" thing is used by a couple of existing races already (e.g. Oread) and they're hardly at the top end as far as player races go. In fact, as a Race Builder trait it's only worth a point, and I think your restriction (racial deity only) is even tougher.

Palanan
2019-07-18, 10:25 AM
Excellent, thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I'm still feeling my way through the race-building process...and not using the race builder, since I've been told it can be wonky.

TheFamilarRaven
2019-07-18, 10:35 AM
It's not wonky so much as it's just doesn't seem to be accurate to the power level the wanted playable races to be at. It's very easy to create an over powered race by spending about the same amount of RP as a tiefling or an aasimar.