PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: most tragic race/class combo

chaosgirl
2019-07-18, 10:12 AM
I’ve been invited to a new Pathfinder game. Im trying to fulfill my ongoing desire to make a character as tragic as I can

My initial thought is “vampire paladin who has renounced his evil ways and takes damage from using his own paladin abilities”

I’m wondering can anyone think of a more fitting class for standing in the rain while Emilie Autumn

12th level of that helps DM says he’s cool with all classes and most races

legomaster00156
2019-07-18, 04:49 PM
If you want to go full angst paladin, there is the Tortured Crusader (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo-paladin-archetypes/tortured-crusader-paladin-archetype/) archetype. Another angsty class option is Wizard (Spirit Binder) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo-wizard-archetypes/spirit-binder-wizard-archetype/).

Psyren
2019-07-18, 04:53 PM
A Medium has a ton of angst potential also

Particle_Man
2019-07-18, 04:55 PM
You need some ranks in some relevant perform skill (singing, oratory, etc.) to explain your tragic backstory to anyone who will (or is forced to) listen. :smallbiggrin: Like how you became a vampire and what were you beforehand, and did you feed on your loved ones (or one of them on you) and all that.

Kurald Galain
2019-07-18, 04:58 PM
Dip into Oracle for a tragic curse or two.

legomaster00156
2019-07-18, 04:59 PM
A Medium has a ton of angst potential also
And yet not mentioning that the Spiritualist can be joined by a spirit of a former loved one? For shame!

Palanan
2019-07-18, 09:30 PM
I was going to suggest working in some good-aligned drow, for that classic angsty feel, but you folks have me out-angsted.

ThatMoonGuy
2019-07-18, 11:04 PM
If 3pp is on the table, pick the Harbinger class with the Ravenlord archetype. That makes you so sad you literally had to split your soul apart to contain some of that sadness. And it becomes a raven. That archetype has such class features as "Channel of Work", "Sorrow's Shadow" and "Memories of Loss".

Now, be a dhampyr whose family was killed by your father, who's a vampire. You survived the massacre by hiding under the likes of corpses of your relatives.

For your disciplines, focus on Cursed Razor. Pick a scythe as a weapon, get yourself some black clothes and crank that Evanescence to the max.

Now you're not just the saddest guy in the party but the edgiest one as well.

Psyren
2019-07-18, 11:51 PM
And yet not mentioning that the Spiritualist can be joined by a spirit of a former loved one? For shame!

Good point, them too :smalltongue:

I was going to suggest working in some good-aligned drow, for that classic angsty feel, but you folks have me out-angsted.

Honestly I do think Dhampir can out-angst Drow - but they're both up there for sure.

Fetchlings are probably pretty emo as well

Particle_Man
2019-07-19, 12:13 AM

A good aligned dhampir from a drow family, that got converted to vampires?

Meditation
2019-07-19, 12:17 AM
Scarred Witch Doctors cut themselves all the time.

Take the Hellbound Corruption and you can claim that your fate is literally sealed.

Dreamscarred literally has an Edgelord class. You wear a trenchcoat and weild a katana. In the rain.

Your character might be depressed, but the real sadness is generated by your loved ones upon seeing you act out.

Firechanter
2019-07-19, 06:07 AM
How about a Gnome Barbarian wielding a crossbow, that's pretty tragic.

DrMotives
2019-07-19, 06:28 AM
How about a Gnome Barbarian wielding a crossbow, that's pretty tragic.

There was something somewhere, maybe Dragon Mag, where a reinforced buttstock on a crossbow could be a martial bludgeoning weapon, mainly so a crossbow wielder could still threaten spaces and use AoOs without having to have some alternate weapon on hand. A barbarian who only used his heavy crossbow to buttstroke enemies would be a funny yet tragic character concept.

Elricaltovilla
2019-07-19, 07:50 AM
If 3pp is on the table, pick the Harbinger class with the Ravenlord archetype. That makes you so sad you literally had to split your soul apart to contain some of that sadness. And it becomes a raven. That archetype has such class features as "Channel of Work", "Sorrow's Shadow" and "Memories of Loss".

Now, be a dhampyr whose family was killed by your father, who's a vampire. You survived the massacre by hiding under the likes of corpses of your relatives.

For your disciplines, focus on Cursed Razor. Pick a scythe as a weapon, get yourself some black clothes and crank that Evanescence to the max.

Now you're not just the saddest guy in the party but the edgiest one as well.

The real saddest harbingers use the Edgelord (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Edge_Lord) archetype.

Palanan
2019-07-19, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Psyren
Fetchlings are probably pretty emo as well….

Fetchlings are completely emo. They actually brought emo to the Material Plane.

Originally Posted by Particle_Man
A good aligned dhampir from a drow family, that got converted to vampires?

o gawd. A good-aligned dhampir from a drow family with fetchling blood, straight from the Plane of Emo, that got converted to vampires.

ThatMoonGuy
2019-07-19, 09:05 AM
The real saddest harbingers use the Edgelord (https://libraryofmetzofitz.fandom.com/wiki/Edge_Lord) archetype.

I last used the Edgelord for a villain in my current campaign. It's an Ulitharid Edgelord who lost his village to a bunch of adventurers and now seeks revenge for his fallen keen. Gotta say, I have way too much fun roleplaying that guy and using Metal Gear Solid Revengeance's OST for every fight it's in.

False God
2019-07-19, 09:06 AM
Fetchlings are completely emo. They actually brought emo to the Material Plane.

o gawd. A good-aligned dhampir from a drow family with fetchling blood, straight from the Plane of Emo, that got converted to vampires.

What we can't cram some tiefling in there for a little "Oh my daddy wasn't just a vampire, he was a demon vampire?" The Div-Spawn tieflings are literally unable to experience joy.

So, if Fetchlings are the emo-kids, and Damphir are the vamp-kids, are Drow the goth-kids? I mean, what kind of angst are we going for here? Cynical? Nihilistic? Self-hating? All of the above?

Merellis
2019-07-19, 09:10 AM
Dwarven Oracle that is haunted and has unlocked the mystery of ancestors.

Haunted by your children, while using the power of your ancestors to try and atone, despite the fact that are shamed by you.

Asmotherion
2019-07-19, 06:26 PM
My initial thought is “vampire paladin who has renounced his evil ways and takes damage from using his own paladin abilities”

JourneyQuest did that before it was cool :P

Eldonauran
2019-07-19, 06:59 PM
What we can't cram some tiefling in there for a little "Oh my daddy wasn't just a vampire, he was a demon vampire?" The Div-Spawn tieflings are literally unable to experience joy.How about adding a level of Reanimated Medium? You got soooo bored of the after life that you just couldn't just get resurrected like a normal adventurer and get to play the 'semi-zombie' card as well?

Endless Rain
2019-07-30, 06:46 PM
I’ve been invited to a new Pathfinder game. Im trying to fulfill my ongoing desire to make a character as tragic as I can

I’m wondering can anyone think of a more fitting class for standing in the rain while Emilie Autumn

12th level of that helps DM says he’s cool with all classes and most races

If you're playing in Golarion, make him a Cleric or Paladin of Aroden from Sarkoris. Aroden was killed and Sarkoris was almost completely destroyed by a horde of demons from the Worldwound soon after.