PDA

View Full Version : Build a Druid - HELP!

runnice
2019-07-18, 10:32 AM
Hi Guys!

Im gonna build a Druid at lvl 12 but i dont have any expertise on Druids... My DM is opened to used all suplements and races and whatever.
We are playing a overpower campaign with a lot powerfull enemys so i dont wanna make a weak druid.

Can u help with tips, Races, combos and whatever to make a powerful druid?

btw im think about elementalist druid walking into wild shape form...

THANK YOU! =*

ayvango
2019-07-18, 10:45 AM
We are playing a overpower campaign with a lot powerfull enemys so i dont wanna make a weak druid.

Just take full levels on druid. It is a powerful class that needs no additions to mixture in.

MisterKaws
2019-07-18, 10:50 AM
Straight Druid won't really ever go wrong as long as you choose your spells well.

Willie the Duck
2019-07-18, 10:57 AM

Can u help with tips, Races, combos and whatever to make a powerful druid?

Races and combos won't help here. Pick up Natural Spell at 6th and you've accomplished making a druid suitable for an overpowered campaign.

This is not to say you cannot make a weak druid, you can (just like you can make a weak wizard), but it will almost completely come down to not selecting spells (and, if you are starting above level 1 and get to build your WBL loadout, magic items) reflective of how your DM builds the campaign.

As examples, if your DM makes a bunch of enemies that fly or are immune/resilient to non-magical weapons, than you really need to have preparations to make you or your animal companion fly and/or have magical natural attacks. DM run a bunch of dungeons which are bare stone? Entangle and the like might not work (unless you bring the foliage with you). Lots of fire and lightning-resistant enemies? Druid direct damage will be rather limited.

That's what you need to do, and a whole lot of it is going to be campaign dependent. If you just want pure numbers, single-class straight druid (human or wisdom-boosting race) is top tier right out of the box. There are a bunch of guides out there and for the most part they are accurate (although they kind of assume you can just declare that your animal companion is a fleshraker dinosaur and your DM might say no, or that various wild-shape-friendly magic items are routinely available, etc.), but predominantly your game success will depend on how well you adapt to the world your DM creates.

liquidformat
2019-07-18, 11:10 AM
Nature Spell feat at level 6 is as good as a class feature for druids.

Warforged is a great racial choice, sure it has a - 2 to wis, but it gives lots of immunities, a bonus to con, and you can use the armor in wild shape form which is great. Alternatively you could go anthropomorphic bat for a crazy wis mod isn't a horrible choice. If you really want to be abusive add dragon born to either of those for extra shenanigans.

Frozen wild Shape gives you Cryohydra which is awesome, as well as, an awesome bear form. Exalted Wild shape is notable as it gives you the Ex&SA of a number of forms plus any animal you tack celestial template onto which is great.

Greenbound Summoning and Rashemi Elemental Summoning are both great depending on what level you are looking at. Initiate of Nature can be fun, letting you rebuke/command plants&animals if you want to have a nice army with you, having a horde of shambling mounds powered to ridiculousness by your thunderstorm make for great tanks...

Besides those Druid is pretty open to whatever, like AMMisterKaws and AMayvango said your best choice is to go straight druid.

Venger
2019-07-18, 11:40 AM
eggynack's handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?439991-Being-Everything-Eggynack-s-Comprehensive-Druid-Handbook) answers every question you could have

runnice
2019-07-18, 01:31 PM
eggynack's handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?439991-Being-Everything-Eggynack-s-Comprehensive-Druid-Handbook) answers every question you could have

WOW! it's really complete!

Where can i find the Antromorphic Bat race?

Venger
2019-07-18, 01:33 PM

Savage species.

daremetoidareyo
2019-07-18, 01:34 PM

Savage species. At the end in the appendices

runnice
2019-07-18, 02:47 PM
Savage species. At the end in the appendices

I founded! Thanks!

But im realized how can i roleplay with a ****ing bat...

I dont have any refereces...

daremetoidareyo
2019-07-18, 03:01 PM
I founded! Thanks!

But im realized how can i roleplay with a ****ing bat...

I dont have any refereces...

You're a druid trained by the religious leader of a freed slave community from the underdark. You're sent out on a walkabout to find good prospects for the tribe.

Eldariel
2019-07-19, 03:34 AM
Honestly, Druid is all about making good picks. Pick a good animal companion, pick solid Wildshape forms (Aberration and Dragon Wildshape in particular rock, see Eggynack's), pick good spells (again, see Eggynack's) and you're golden. Then just pick items (in core, it's mostly Wild Dragonhide Fullplate and Wild Wooden Tower Shield but outside Core, with Wilding Clasps, you can access everything including Monk's Belt, Wis-boosters, Circlet of Rapid Casting and stuff), don't forget to put Bardings on your animal companion, cast appropriate buffs (at least Barkskin/Tortoise Shell and Greater Magic Fang on all natural attacks; Venomfire if going high powered with e.g. Fleshraker).

A Druid can do anything. It's all about knowing your options and using them well. But even a Druid played to 10% of its full potential is more than enough for most tables.

magic9mushroom
2019-07-20, 05:55 AM
That's what you need to do, and a whole lot of it is going to be campaign dependent. If you just want pure numbers, single-class straight druid (human or wisdom-boosting race) is top tier right out of the box. There are a bunch of guides out there and for the most part they are accurate (although they kind of assume you can just declare that your animal companion is a fleshraker dinosaur and your DM might say no, or that various wild-shape-friendly magic items are routinely available, etc.), but predominantly your game success will depend on how well you adapt to the world your DM creates.

I wouldn't rely on human; whether you keep the bonus feat while wild shaped depends on exactly which version of Wild Shape's various erratas and stealth-erratas the DM is using (by Rules Compendium you keep your racial traits because it got errataed to go off Alternate Form, but not everyone uses RC).

Con-boosting race (e.g. gnome) is another good option, although obviously +2 Con isn't nearly as good as AnthroBat's +6 Wis.

MisterKaws
2019-07-20, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't rely on human; whether you keep the bonus feat while wild shaped depends on exactly which version of Wild Shape's various erratas and stealth-erratas the DM is using (by Rules Compendium you keep your racial traits because it got errataed to go off Alternate Form, but not everyone uses RC).

Con-boosting race (e.g. gnome) is another good option, although obviously +2 Con isn't nearly as good as AnthroBat's +6 Wis.

Official PHB errata and the official 2012 reprint both rule it as Alternate Form.

Willie the Duck
2019-07-20, 10:16 PM

Honestly, even if you have to dump your extra feat into something that isn't important for wildshape (scribe scroll comes to mind), it's still one more feat.