PDA

View Full Version : Swapping out cantrips?

Mad_Saulot
2019-07-18, 12:40 PM
can cantrip users swap their cantrips as they level or are they stuck with their choice? I couldnt see anything about it in PHB

Wuzza
2019-07-18, 12:42 PM
Nope. They're stuck with them.

Although as a DM I'd allow them to change them at the earlier levels, once, "maybe" twice.

Vogie
2019-07-18, 01:58 PM
Not really.
In normal character creation, once you learn a cantrip you can't change it.

The differences:

When playing Adventurer's League, they allow you to rejigger your character as much as you like prior to level 5, which would include removing your Blade Ward and True Strike Cantrips because you have realized they're terrible.
When playing the UA Artificer, they do gain the ability to swap out cantrips. Depending on which one you're looking at, it's either when you gain a level in the class early on, or during a rest at a higher level

Demonslayer666
2019-07-18, 02:24 PM
I saw this and went, of course, why would you be allowed to swap out level 1+ spells and not a simple cantrip?

After reading it, it says it must be one with spell slots. OK, that's odd, but they must mean spells you can cast.

Nope, after goolging it, Mike Mearls and Jeremy Crawford both responded in tweets that they were intended to be permanent. How dumb. smh