PDA

View Full Version : I was wondering something...

Mornir
2007-10-09, 03:42 PM
In D20 Modern/Future: Let's say that someone was to fire a nuclear missile at a civilized country, (ie: Russia, USA etc.) killing the majority of the populace. Would that person then get the experience of the challenge rating of all the people killed? Because one of my characters, may just be in a nuclear missile silo, and he just may have turned off most of the missile defense programs of all first world countries and he just may have stolen both keys to fire off/prime the nuclear missile in question. (Did I mention there is no level minus one experience gained cap?):smalltongue:

Starsinger
2007-10-09, 03:44 PM
Uhh.. no. I can't imagine that would be the case, since they provided no actual challange.. Just like, I don't see why you'd get experience for murdering orphans in their sleep.

Jasdoif
2007-10-09, 03:45 PM
No. Unless this is a very strange setting, all those people killed by the nuclear explosion had no way of preventing their demise. Because of that, they were not involved in any encounter with the missile launching person, and thus there is no encounter to give out XP for.

Yeril
2007-10-09, 03:47 PM
Uhh.. no. I can't imagine that would be the case, since they provided no actual challange.. Just like, I don't see why you'd get experience for murdering orphans in their sleep.

Unless one of the orphans was a level 12 halfling rogue in disguse who heard you coming and attacked from the shadows. he would provide exp

Mornir
2007-10-09, 03:47 PM
Well, I did managed to turn off the computer program in place to defend incoming missiles, and was planning on mainly shooting at other nuclear/military defense places in order to cripple the opposing countries military...

BCOVertigo
2007-10-09, 03:48 PM
Here's how I would deal with players killing a challenge way above their normal capacity via super weapon.

Technically all you did was suceed on a DC 2 Dexterity check to turn both keys at the same(ish) time and then press a button. Have an experience point out of pity because you probably have every other country's nukes leveled at you and I doubt you have improved evasion.

Mornir
2007-10-09, 03:49 PM
No. Unless this is a very strange setting, all those people killed by the nuclear explosion had no way of preventing their demise. Because of that, they were not involved in any encounter with the missile launching person, and thus there is no encounter to give out XP for.

There is the majority of the US air force moving against me at the end of last session...

Starsinger
2007-10-09, 03:49 PM
Unless one of the orphans was a level 12 halfling rogue in disguse who heard you coming and attacked from the shadows. he would provide exp

Had that been the case, I would've said so.. but I rather meant orphans.. level 1 commoners, 5 years old... CR 0.

Kurald Galain
2007-10-09, 03:51 PM
You should watch Dr. Strangelove.

Mornir
2007-10-09, 03:53 PM
You should watch Dr. Strangelove.

*Confused* (Hasn't seen Dr.Strangelove)

Mornir
2007-10-09, 03:55 PM
Here's how I would deal with players killing a challenge way above their normal capacity via super weapon.

Technically all you did was suceed on a DC 2 Dexterity check to turn both keys at the same(ish) time and then press a button. Have an experience point out of pity because you probably have every other country's nukes leveled at you and I doubt you have improved evasion.

Also, stole the keys from to corporal-ish people's offices while rest of party distracted them with gunfire etc. on largest nuclear silo in "New America" and then took out the computer system with a Computer Use DC 30 check, then made a Dex check of like 5 to turn both at the same time...

Jasdoif
2007-10-09, 03:58 PM
There is the majority of the US air force moving against me at the end of last session...Only the portion of said Air Force you've dealt with in a fashion that put you at risk against them would count for XP.

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-09, 03:58 PM
*Confused* (Hasn't seen Dr.Strangelove)

Yeah, that's probably why it was suggested to watch it, as opposed to a suggestion to recall that one time when you watched it.

Mornir
2007-10-09, 04:00 PM
Yeah, that's probably why it was suggested to watch it, as opposed to a suggestion to recall that one time when you watched it.

Meant I did not understand the relevance to the quote at hand.

Stormcrow
2007-10-09, 06:08 PM
I'm pretty sure you only get XP for overcoming a threat... Nuke Vs. People... not a threat... its a whitewash. Unless you wanted to give them roleplaying XP?

It'd be like shooting a baby in the head with a .44, would you give experience for that? Theres no threat, theres not even a challenge beyond hitting the baby.

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-09, 06:10 PM
It'd be like shooting a baby in the head with a .44, would you give experience for that? Theres no threat, theres not even a challenge beyond hitting the baby.

Roleplaying experience?

Starsinger
2007-10-09, 06:12 PM
Roleplaying experience?

That's not particularly a game I'd like to take part in...

Mephisto
2007-10-09, 06:14 PM

Roleplaying experience?

Oh hell yes. I'm sigging that.

Stormcrow
2007-10-09, 06:22 PM
Roleplaying experience?

Wow. Just wow.
There should be more people like you. Have you considered Shadowrun?

tainsouvra
2007-10-09, 07:00 PM
Also, stole the keys from to corporal-ish people's offices while rest of party distracted them with gunfire etc. on largest nuclear silo in "New America" and then took out the computer system with a Computer Use DC 30 check, ...and all of these should have already had their experience rewards given, since they are different challenges. They are, therefore, no longer relevant to this "challenge"--killing unsuspecting civilians with a nuclear missile.

Stormcrow
2007-10-09, 09:36 PM
You don't get XP for killing helpless enemies. Against a nuclear warhead, they are helpess.

Karsh
2007-10-09, 09:52 PM
Hijacking the nuke is the challenge. What you do with it has no EXP that comes with it.

Get the EXP for overcoming the challenge of "Become a nuclear superpower." What you do with it is roleplaying.

Xuincherguixe
2007-10-09, 10:04 PM
If the only word that can describe accurately what your character just did is "atrocity" then it probably deserves roleplaying experience points.

I'd give out an awful lot of them, because nuclear explosions are hardly commonplace. Err, unless it's an Anime inspired campaign. But then most of the people would probably survive anyways so it's a moot point.

Fhaolan
2007-10-09, 10:36 PM
Meant I did not understand the relevance to the quote at hand.

Have you, at least, *heard* of Dr. Strangelove?

It's what is refered to as a 'Cult Classic' and deals with the concepts of nuclear warfare very early in the Cold War period. It is nominally a comedy, however the humor is used to highlight exactly how *not* funny nuclear warfare is and how absurd the whole concept of 'mutually assured destruction' is.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-10-09, 11:11 PM
For launching the nuke, giving quest rewards (XP) could be a good idea, but actual XP for killing the people wouldn't be appropriate.

psychoticbarber
2007-10-09, 11:21 PM
It is nominally a comedy, however the humor is used to highlight exactly how *not* funny nuclear warfare is and how absurd the whole concept of 'mutually assured destruction' is.

Oh, gotta love MAD. I'm in Political Science, so I freak out for a second every time I see something about "Multiple Attribute Dependency" :smallwink:.

Subotei
2007-10-10, 06:42 AM
If he wants the XP, make him roll the damage - should keep him busy for a couple of years.