PDA

View Full Version : Arcane spell to Divine Spell?

Kaelik
2007-10-09, 03:52 PM
I'm working on a Mystic Theurge Build from Wizard into Ur-Priest into Mystic Theurge (only lose 2 lvls of Wizard, Get lvl 9 spells in both, move back to Wizard afterward.)

I remember Fax talking about a feat that allowed someone to make Arcane spells into Divine and Divine spells into Arcane. I was wondering what this was, and if anyone knows a way to get a Wizard to cast Divine spells to qualify for Ur-Priest without losing a third level of Wizard?

Shas aia Toriia
2007-10-09, 03:55 PM
Well, you could check the SRD, but I don't think I've ever heard of that one before.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-09, 03:56 PM
That'd be Alternative Source Spell (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Alternative_Source_Spell,Dragon) from Dragon 325.

You're welcome.

EDIT: The original thread this was discussed in is here.

Thinker
2007-10-09, 04:12 PM
I'm working on a Mystic Theurge Build from Wizard into Ur-Priest into Mystic Theurge (only lose 2 lvls of Wizard, Get lvl 9 spells in both, move back to Wizard afterward.)

I remember Fax talking about a feat that allowed someone to make Arcane spells into Divine and Divine spells into Arcane. I was wondering what this was, and if anyone knows a way to get a Wizard to cast Divine spells to qualify for Ur-Priest without losing a third level of Wizard?

You don't need to be able to cast divine spells to get into Ur Priest. It says:

Special: The character must have no ability to cast divine spells. If such spellcasting ability was previously possessed (as with an ex-cleric), that ability is forever forsaken.

Fax's feat is certainly helpful for such a build, though.

So Wiz 5/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 10/Wizard 3 is your build?

Kaelik
2007-10-09, 04:19 PM
That'd be Alternative Source Spell (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Alternative_Source_Spell,Dragon) from Dragon 325.

You're welcome.

EDIT: The original thread this was discussed in is here.

Thank you very much. I don't suppose you know a way to get into Ur-Priest without losing a level of Wizard?

Right now I'm looking at
Wizard 4/Spirit Shaman or Shugenja/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 8/Archmage 5.

Alternative Spell Source opens up lots of fun, I could Divine Metacheese Wizard Spells this way, and I could (maybe) apply Archmage benefits (Arcane Reach I would think for sure, probably not the caster level, and very unsure of the SLAs.)

I'd have level 10 Ur-Priest casting with a caster level of 20 and level 17 Wizard Casting with a caster level of 17 (not counting any Arcane Power.)

You can see why I might really want to get into Ur-Priest with just Wizard 5, since I do have several Feat pre reqs, and I still need to get the ones I want (Alternative Spell Source and Divine Metacheese.)

It might be worth it (depending on caster level with Ur-Priest and what exactly Ex-Clerics get, and the exact description of the domians) to grab a level of Cleric with the Planning and Undeath Domains, just to grab the feats.

Kaelik
2007-10-09, 04:21 PM
You don't need to be able to cast divine spells to get into Ur Priest. It says:

Fax's feat is certainly helpful for such a build, though.

So Wiz 5/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 10/Wizard 3 is your build?

Oh, well that's good. And no, I don't think we would allow MT to apply past level 10 for Ur-Priest.

cupkeyk
2007-10-09, 04:29 PM
There is a feat in an FR source book, probably Shining South that changes a source type for a spell, on a spell to spell basis, I think it's southern magician, I recall that you have to be from the mulan region to get it.

Edit: Its from Races of Faerun and is excerpted at the bottom of this page (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rp/20040630a).

Kaelik
2007-10-09, 05:59 PM
Looks like my new build is Wizard 4/Swashbuckler 1/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 8/Wizard 1/Archmage 4.

Needed to get the Fort save, and have Bluff as a class skill. Swashbuckler works for that. I can't find anything else that does though.

That unfortunately means:

Ur-Priest spells at CL 14 (after rereading CL)
Wizard spells at CL and spell level 17
Still get to DMM persist Wizard Spells. (Including Foresight?)
Also, Arcane Reach and Arcane Power definitely apply to all spells cast. (So with a Ioun Stone and four Arcane Powers I could have caster levels of 19 and 22 straight off.)
SLA abilities look more questionable, but if I were a DM I'd think that it would be allowed to use Divine as Arcane Slots to Cast Divine as Arcane SLAs.

But by RAW I could use Wizard Slots to prepare Ur-Priest Spells as SLAs.anyway.

I like it.

Kaelik
2007-10-09, 08:02 PM
Using Practiced Spellcaster I can bump up Ur-Priest to CL 18. I like this character. Sweet sweet Nightsticks and Divine Metamagic Persist. I think this fits very well as the perfect "So buffed I can't be touched" character. And I can get 3+CLs or Can get 3 times double 9th level spells as SLAs though the first two have to be Cleric spells.